Annual Engagements by Members of the Royal Family 2011-2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekly update to 24th January

The numbers are starting to creep up this week with Charles back in full swing. Sadly Beatrice and Eugenie's visit to Germany wasn't recorded in the CC and so they don't get any official recognition for the days they spent there. Philip's only engagement is one I am sure he wishes he didn't have to do - the funeral of his neice - as I am sure that he would prefer to still have her with him.

HM The Queen - 5 (5 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 1 (0 - up 1)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 21 (2 - up 19)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 6 (0 - up 6)
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 1 (1 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 1 (1 - no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 2 (0 - up 2)
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 7 (4 - up 3)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 8 (4 - up 4)
HRH The Princess Royal - 23 ( 14 - up 9)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 8 (7 - up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 4 (3 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 11 (4 - up 7)
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0 (0 - no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Princess Royal - 23
HRH The Prince of Wales - 21
HRH The Duke of Kent - 11
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 8
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 8
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 7
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 6
HM The Queen – 5
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 4
HRH The Duke of York - 2
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 1
HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 1
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 1
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 0
HRH Princess Beatrice of York – 0
HRH Princess Eugenie of York - 0
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 0
HRH The Duchess of Kent - 0
HRH Prince Michael of Kent – 0
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -0
HRH Princess Alexandra - 0

Year to date total - 98 with 74% of those engagements being carried out by The Queen, her children and their spouses.

The main line (The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry) has done 36%.

6% of all engagements are being done by those over 85.

17% done by those 70 and above

81% are being done by those over 60.

51% were done by those in their 60s.

5% have been done by The Queen.

21% were done by Charles.

Last edited:
The idea with the 'accompanied' count is to show how often the couple do joint engagements rather than solo ones.

OK but the assumption appears to be that the Duchess played a junior role in accompanying the Duke.

I hate to suggest this but surely the easiest way and it would match the CC is to have (for example)

Prince of Wales engagements
Duchess of Cornwall Engagements
PoW/DoC Joint Engagements

I have removed all reference to 'accompanied' as it seems people find it too hard to understand what the purpose was - to keep a count of joint engagements as opposed to only solo.

To do what you suggested Cepe would be too complicated when the totals are done on an individual basis.

What I was trying to do was show how often they did joint engagements as part of their totals but that has been shot down so I won't do it.

I hope I haven't offended you, Iluvbertie, because I really wouldn't want to do that.

Weekly update to 31st January

Another quietish week although the usual suspects were out and about. The Queen and Philip of course are still on their annual 6 week holiday at Sandringham but should be returning to London over the next week as they tend to leave Sandringham after the anniversary of her accession on the 6th February.

HM The Queen - 6 (5 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 1 (1 - no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 40 (21 - up 19)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 12 (6 - up 6)
HRH The Duke of York - 9 (2 - up 7)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 11 (7 - up 4)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 8 (8 - no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 31 (23 - up 8)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 0 (0 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 13 (8 - up 5)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 5 (4 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 11 (11 - no change)

Order from most downwards - the 'league table' if you like. I refuse to calculate how people are moving up or down that list. I do move people around who have moved up or down but I am not putting in how many places they are moving - although usually it is only one place in either direction.

HRH The Prince of Wales - 40
HRH The Princess Royal - 31

HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 13
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 12
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 11
HRH The Duke of Kent - 11

HRH The Duke of York - 9

HM The Queen – 6
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 5
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 0

Year to date total - 149

Iluvbertie - I just tried doing what you do for the Duke of York. It was not as easy as one would think. I would go blind doing it for the whole firm. Hats off to you.

Andrew did engagements on the following days:

24th January (2)
25th January (1)
29th January (3)
30th January (1)
31st January (2)

What they were:

24th January - Attended Davos Forum
Gave a Reception
25th January - Attended Davos Forum
29th January - Visited Science Park in Belfast
Attended Graduation Ceremony at Titanic Signature Project in Belfast
Dinner at Hillsborough Castle in Belfast
30th January - Gave a reception at BP
31st January - Received Sir Richard Sykes
Attended a reception given by the Chancellor of the Exchequer

I go into the CC and do it day by day rather than person by person so I would click on the 31st January

31st January 2013
Q.jpg

SANDRINGHAM, NORFOLK:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were represented by the Lord Crathorne (Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of North Yorkshire) at the Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of Sir Marcus Worsley, Bt. (formerly Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of North Yorkshire) which was held in York Minster this afternoon.
The Prince of Wales was represented by the Earl of Halifax.
The Duke of York was represented by Dr. Richard Shephard.
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were represented by the Lord Hotham.
The Duke of Kent was represented by Earl of St. Andrews.
Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy was represented by Countess of St. Andrews.
The Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon (Lord in Waiting) was present at Heathrow Airport, London, this evening upon the Arrival of The President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and welcomed His Excellency on behalf of The Queen.
Later the Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon was present at Heathrow Airport, London, upon the Arrival of The President of the Federal Republic of Somalia and welcomed His Excellency on behalf of Her Majesty.

POW.jpg

CLARENCE HOUSE:
The Prince of Wales, Patron, Macmillan Cancer Support, and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited the University College Hospital Macmillan Cancer Centre, Huntley Street, London WC1, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London (Sir David Brewer).
His Royal Highness, Duke of Cornwall today received the Secretary of the Duchy of Cornwall (Sir Robert Ross) at Clarence House.
The Prince of Wales this afternoon received the Lord Shuttleworth (Chairman of the Council, Duchy of Lancaster) and Mr. Paul Clarke (Clerk of the Council).
His Royal Highness, Colonel-in-Chief, Army Air Corps, received Lieutenant Colonel James Anderson upon relinquishing his appointment as Commanding Officer 1 Regiment and Lieutenant Colonel Paul Tedman upon assuming the appointment.
The Prince of Wales, Colonel-in-Chief, Army Air Corps, received Lieutenant Colonel Jason Etherington upon relinquishing his appointment as Commanding Officer 4 Regiment and Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Bissett upon assuming the appointment.
His Royal Highness, Colonel-in-Chief, Army Air Corps, received Lieutenant Colonel David Osborne upon relinquishing his appointment as Commanding Officer 5 Regiment and Lieutenant Colonel Paul Campbell upon assuming the appointment.
The Prince of Wales, Patron, the Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership, received Mr. Antony Jenkins (Group Chief Executive, Barclays).
His Royal Highness, President, The Prince's Trust, his evening held a Reception at St. James's Palace for Patrons of the Trust.
The Duchess of Cornwall, Patron, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, this morning visited the Inpatient Adolescent Ward, University College Hospital, 235 Euston Road, London NW1, and was received by Wing Commander Edna Partridge (Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London).

DOY.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Duke of York this afternoon received Sir Richard Sykes (Chairman of Council, the Royal Institution of Great Britain).
His Royal Highness this evening attended a Reception given by the Chancellor of the Exchequer at No. 11 Downing Street

PSSR.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:

The Princess Royal, this morning visited the Wilderness Foundation and Diamond Jubilee Wood in Chelmsford and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Essex (the Lord Petre).
Her Royal Highness this afternoon attended a Church Service in Chelmsford Cathedral, followed by a Reception, to mark the Sixtieth Anniversary of the East Coast Floods

Having looked at the above information I then look for the verbs and count from there. The verbs I counted for the above day are:

Charles and Camilla 'visited' the University College hospital
Charles 'received' six different individuals - as each was listed separately they are six different engagements - there are times when the CC will say 'received' and then list 5 or 6 different people in the one list - so only one engagement
Charles 'held' evening reception
Camilla 'visited' Inpatient Ward at the Hospital
Andrew 'received' and then 'attended' a reception
Anne 'visited' a Jubilee Wood and then 'attended' a Church Service

This gives a total of 14 for the day on my count.

There is also the large number of 'was represented by' xxx at the Service of Thanksgiving but as none of the royals actually attended no one gets a credit for that of course.

Weekly update to 7th February

Starting to pick up with 65 engagements this week - Charles and Anne leading the way while The Queen and Philip enjoy their last week on holidays. Andrew also stepping up now and the Gloucesters and Duke of Kent continue to carry out their duties quietly. Tim accompanied Anne to the Rugby and so he gets a credit this week - for the first time.

HM The Queen - 8 (6 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 1 (1 - no change)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 58 (40 - up 18)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 18 (12 - up 6)
HRH The Duke of York - 20 (9 - up 11)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 18 (11 - up 7)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 8 (8 - no change)
HRH The Princess Royal - 40 (31 - up 9)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 1 (0 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 15 (13 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 8 (5 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 17 (11 - up 6)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 58
HRH The Princess Royal - 40

HRH The Duke of York - 20
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 18
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 18
HRH The Duke of Kent - 17
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 15

HM The Queen – 8

HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 8
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 1

Year to date total - 214

Weekly update to 14th February

The Queen was back to London this week and so started to pick up a few engagements. Charles and Anne still doing the bulk of the work although Andrew is stepping up this week as well. Philip also did one official duty this week (his previous duty was the funeral of his niece).

HM The Queen - 20 (8 - up 12)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 2 (1 - up 1)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 76 (58 - up 18)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 25 (18 - up 7)
HRH The Duke of York - 30 (20 - up 10)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 23 (18 - up 5)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 12 (8 - up 4)
HRH The Princess Royal - 53 (40 - up 13)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 4 (1 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 15 (15 - no change)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 8 (8 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 24 (17 - up 7)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 76
HRH The Princess Royal - 53

HRH The Duke of York - 30
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 25
HRH The Duke of Kent - 24
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 23
HM The Queen – 20

HRH The Countess of Wessex - 12
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 4
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 2

Year to date total - 294

Thanks as always for the figures, Iluvbertie.

It's interesting that the Queen and DoE, apparently, extended their Sandringham holiday this year. From your figures, does this mean they've done slightly fewer engagements compared to the same point last year?

Unfortunately when my computer crashed I did lose some documents and last year's figures were one of the documents that I haven't been able to recover.

However I do remember that The Queen did do engagements at and from Sandringham such as going to the WI and planting a tree on 6th February. Philip also took things very easy due to his heart scare in December.

I went back to the CC and at the same time last year the count was 27 to The Queen and 2 to Philip - both of which he did with The Queen.

There were a number of times that she 'received' someone special - making up the majority of the engagements - exactly the same type of engagements as this year - just more of them last year - usually these were people who were being given some award.

She also presented medals to children after church on three occasions last year and again this year but...she also did some Jubilee related activities such as received a loyal address, toured a school and visited an RAF base.

She returned officially to BP by the 8th February in 2012 (CC records that she was at Sandringham on the 6th and BP on the 8th so presumably she travelled on the 7th) while this year we have her last engagements recorded at Sandringham on 10th February and at BP on the 12th so she probably travelled on the 11th.

I do think that she will be doing less this year as she won't be receiving as many loyal addresses or travelling the length and breadth of the nation like she did last year but I do think she will still be busy.

She will be doing at least one overseas tour - Rome shortly - 6 - 8th March - as the Cardinals will be travelling there for the conclave currently slated to start a week later but that could be moved forward - an interesting time for HM to be there.

By the 14th February The Queen had done 27 in 2012 and 20 in 2013 while Philip was 2 in each year.

Last edited:
On Royal Dish there is now a post that shows the number of days on which the different royals worked so I thought I would add that here as well. This will therefore be a series of posts to go week by week and then I will add it to the normal count each week.

This of course doesn't include the planning and preparation for these engagements or the boxes that the Queen does every day.

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 3rd January:

HRH The Princess Royal - 1

Everyone else - 0

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 10th January:

HM The Queen - 2
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 1
HRH The Princess Royal - 3
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 3
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 1
HRH The Duke of Kent - 2

All others to this point - 0

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 17th January:

HM The Queen - 3
HRH The Prince of Wales - 2
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 3
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 2
HRH The Princess Royal - 6
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 5
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 2
HRH The Duke of Kent - 3

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 24th January:

HM The Queen - 3
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 1
HRH The Prince of Wales - 7
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 3
HRH The Duke of York - 1
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 4
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 5
HRH The Princess Royal - 9
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 6
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 3
HRH The Duke of Kent - 3

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 31st January:

HM The Queen - 4
HRH The Prince of Wales - 12
HRH The Duke of York - 5
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 6
HRH The Princess Royal - 12
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 9
HRH The Duke of Kent - 3

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 31st January:

HM The Queen - 4
HRH The Prince of Wales - 12
HRH The Duke of York - 5
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 6
HRH The Princess Royal - 12
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 9
HRH The Duke of Kent - 3

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 7th February:

HM The Queen - 5
HRH The Prince of Wales - 17
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 9
HRH The Duke of York - 9
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 9
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 7
HRH The Princess Royal - 16
Commander Tim Lawrence - 1
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 11
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 6
HRH The Duke of Kent - 10

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 14th February:

HM The Queen - 8
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 2
HRH The Prince of Wales - 22
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 12
HRH The Duke of York - 12
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 10
HRH The Princess Royal - 21
Commander Tim Lawrence - 3
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 11
HRH The Duke of Kent - 14

Weekly update to 21st February

The work load is increasing now that The Queen and Philip are back to work while others were on holidays again - Andrew on his annual skiing holiday for his birthday and I believe it is half-term week in the UK so Edward and Sophie had some down time with their children, presumably.

HM The Queen - 36 (20 - up 16)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 9 (2 - up 7)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 85 (76 - up 9)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 31 (25 - up 6)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 3 (1 - up 2)
HRH The Duke of York - 30 (30 - no change)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 23 (23 - no change)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 14 (12 - up 2)
HRH The Princess Royal - 68 (53 - up 15)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 4 (4 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 16 (15 - up 1)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 8 (8 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 31 (24 - up 7)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 85
HRH The Princess Royal - 68

HM The Queen – 36
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 31
HRH The Duke of Kent - 31
HRH The Duke of York - 30

HRH The Earl of Wessex - 23
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 16

HRH The Countess of Wessex - 14
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 9

Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 4
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 3

Year to date total - 359

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 21st February:

HM The Queen - 12
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 5
HRH The Prince of Wales - 25
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 15
HRH The Duke of York - 12
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 11
HRH The Princess Royal - 26
Commander Tim Lawrence - 3
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 12
HRH The Duke of Kent - 16

Last edited:
Sorry Bertie but when is this up to? it says 31st February (heaven knows I could do with an extra 3 days :)

Sorry Bertie but when is this up to? it says 31st February (heaven knows I could do with an extra 3 days :)

Thanks for that catch - typo - should have been 21st February - now corrected.

Thanks, Iluvbertie, for the update and your reply to my previous question. I suppose the figures are likely to be skewed by the fact that 2012 was a landmark year for the Queen, and the whole RF really.

Always nice to see HM back in London. It certainly feels like we're back to business as usual.

Weekly update to 28th February

The busiest week of the year so far I think. The Queen back into full swing wit a full day of engagements with Philip during the week. Charles and Camilla also out and about and Andrew being busy as well. Anne her usual self.

HM The Queen - 48 (36 - up 12)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 16 (9 - up 7)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 97 (85 - up 12)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 38 (31 - up 7)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 3 (3 - no change)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 5 (0 - up 5)
HRH The Duke of York - 46 (30 - up 16)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 28 (23 - up 5)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 21 (14 - up 7)
HRH The Princess Royal - 73 (68 - up 5)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 5 (4 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 20 (16 - up 4)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 9 (8 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 34 (31 - up 3)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 97
HRH The Princess Royal - 73

HM The Queen – 48
HRH The Duke of York - 46
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 38
HRH The Duke of Kent - 34
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 28
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 21
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 20

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 16
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 9

HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 5
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 5

Year to date total - 444

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 21st February:

HM The Queen - 17
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 8
HRH The Prince of Wales - 30
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 18
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 2
HRH The Duke of York - 16
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 13
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 14
HRH The Princess Royal - 30
Commander Tim Lawrence - 4
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 7
HRH The Duke of Kent - 18

Thanks again for doing this - quick question, when did you start doing this (month??) last year?

I started it at the beginning of 2012 for the Jubilee and people asked me to continue it this year.

It takes about 20 minutes a day to add all the figures into by worksheet. I can't do anything on Sundays or Mondays as the CC isn't updated for Friday through Sunday until Tuesday NSW time so that takes a bit longer.

One of the things I love doing is seeing reports of royals doing things and then finding that that isn't in the CC but something on which there was no press coverage is in the CC e.g. earlier this year Charles gave a speech - not in CC but there was coverage of the speech but Anne's attendance at the same event wasn't given any coverage but she got a mention in the CC.

Last edited:
One of the things I love doing is seeing reports of royals doing things and then finding that that isn't in the CC but something on which there was no press coverage is in the CC e.g. earlier this year Charles gave a speech - not in CC but there was coverage of the speech but Anne's attendance at the same event wasn't given any coverage but she got a mention in the CC.

Thank you for taking the time. It certainly adds up over a year.

With the above, did you credit both C & A even though only Anne was in the Court Circular?

No - I only credit what the CC says.

That is why Beatrice and Eugenie are still on 0 even though they went to Germany at the request of the government for two days - but The Queen didn't regard those engagements as official so no credit for them - the same with their attendance at the opening of the cancer unit this past week. Had that been Charles opening such a place with Camilla in attendance both would have been mentioned in the CC but the York girls don't get a mention.

Only what is in the CC is counted - hence Tim has 5 (all with Anne) and the York girls 0 because they weren't mentioned in the CC.

The Queen approves what goes in the CC so it is her determination as to what counts and what doesn't.

I appreciate the work you do tracking this, Iluvbertie. Very interesting!

I'm curious about the stats for the York girls. I just went onto the "search the court circular" page, and it doesn't even list them as members of the extended family. (Interestingly, though, it does still list the Queen Mum, Princess Margaret, and Princess Alice.) Search the Court Circular

Have the York girls ever performed an engagement noted as "official" by the circular?

I appreciate the work you do tracking this, Iluvbertie. Very interesting!

I'm curious about the stats for the York girls. I just went onto the "search the court circular" page, and it doesn't even list them as members of the extended family. (Interestingly, though, it does still list the Queen Mum, Princess Margaret, and Princess Alice.) Search the Court Circular

Have the York girls ever performed an engagement noted as "official" by the circular?

When they attend larger Royal gatherings such as Trooping the Colour or thanksgiving services, they get a mention along with the rest of the family. Beatrice attended the Maundy service with the Queen and Prince Philip which was official.

I am not aware of them doing anything either together or individually (i.e. without one of the senior royals) where they have been credited with official status.

They haven't been on an individual official engagement but last year both did engagements with other royals - Beatrice went with The Queen and Philip to the Maundy Service while Eugenie accompanied her father on an engagement.

They have done things individually e.g. Beatrice received the Olympic Torch at Harewood House - no credit but when William, Kate and Harry received it at BP they were given credit. The same with presenting Olympic medals - Anne and Kate were given credit but not Eugenie.

Earlier this year both girls represented the UK government on a two day tour of Germany but The Queen didn't regard these two days and the various events involved as official engagements, despite representing the nation, and so nothing in the CC.

Weekly update to 7th March

A quietish week - The Queen was of course laid up for most of it and Charles and Camilla also had a quiet week but with a Mid-East tour coming up in all likelihood they were doing preparations for that tour. They will be quite busy of the next week on the tour.

HM The Queen - 49 (48 - up 1)
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 19 (16 - up 3)
HRH The Prince of Wales - 102 (97 - up 5)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 40 (38 - up 2)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 6 (3 - up 3)
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 5 (5 - no change)
HRH The Duke of York - 48 (46 - up 2)
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 32 (28 - up 4)
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 26 (21 - up 5)
HRH The Princess Royal - 85 (73 - up 12)
Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 5 (5 - no change)
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 26 (20 - up 6)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 12 (9 - up 3)
HRH The Duke of Kent - 43 (34 - up 9)

HRH The Prince of Wales - 102
HRH The Princess Royal - 85

HM The Queen – 49
HRH The Duke of York - 48
HRH The Duke of Kent - 43
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 40
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 32
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 26
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 26

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – 19
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 12

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 6
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 5

Vice-Admiral Tim Lawrence - 5

Year to date total - 499

Days on which official engagements were undertaken to 7th March:

HM The Queen - 18
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh - 11
HRH The Prince of Wales - 33
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - 19
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 4
HRH Prince Henry of Wales - 2
HRH The Duke of York - 17
HRH The Earl of Wessex - 16
HRH The Countess of Wessex - 17
HRH The Princess Royal - 34
Commander Tim Lawrence - 4
HRH The Duke of Gloucester - 18
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester - 9
HRH The Duke of Kent - 22

They haven't been on an individual official engagement but last year both did engagements with other royals - Beatrice went with The Queen and Philip to the Maundy Service while Eugenie accompanied her father on an engagement.

They have done things individually e.g. Beatrice received the Olympic Torch at Harewood House - no credit but when William, Kate and Harry received it at BP they were given credit. The same with presenting Olympic medals - Anne and Kate were given credit but not Eugenie.

Earlier this year both girls represented the UK government on a two day tour of Germany but The Queen didn't regard these two days and the various events involved as official engagements, despite representing the nation, and so nothing in the CC.

Thanks for the observation, Iluvbertie. I am sure most of us would have missed it. Not cricket, in my opinion. I think often about how to heal the York schism (as I find myself calling it).

I don't think there is a schism but more this is reflective of public demand for fewer obvious royals and so the girls aren't going to be supported by the monarch but will have to support themselves or be supported by their future husbands.

Thanks for the observation, Iluvbertie. I am sure most of us would have missed it. Not cricket, in my opinion. I think often about how to heal the York schism (as I find myself calling it).

I think you may be reading too much into it. We simply don't know the reason why the York girls don't get mentioned in the Court Circular. As Bertie pointed out, there was an occasion recently when Charles and Anne both attended the same event - Anne got a mention in CC whereas Charles didn't.

If the intention is to cut down on the number of Royals performing public engagements as a cost cutting exercise then it makes sense that the grandchildren, with the exception of William and Harry, are the ones cut. The girls are not the only grandchildren of monarchs who don't carry out public engagements - Prince Michael, Zara, Peter, David Linley and Sarah Chatto are all in the same position as Beatrice & Eugenie.

The Palace has to be aware of the bad publicity they attract over the perceived costs of Royal engagements, justified or not. The days of multiple Royals undertaking engagements are probably over.

Simply because something has been done a certain way in the past doesn't mean it should continue that without a good reason. I'm aware of the argument that there will simply not be enough working Royals to continue with the same level of engagements as they do today. It may be that there will simply be a streamlining of the type of work that the Royal Family undertakes.

I remember when Diana resigned her patronages many of her charities were forced to take on non-Royal patrons. I read one article a year or so later when the spokesperson for the charity said it had actually turned out to be a good thing. The non-royal had been able to fund raise and devote time to them in ways in which Diana could not either because she was constrained by protocol or because she simply had so many charities that she simply could not devote the same time to them. So change may not (and I emphasise may) turn out to be a bad thing for the charities or the Royal Family.

The reason why the York girls don't get mentioned in the CC is simple - The Queen doesn't want them mentioned and she is the one who deterimines what is and what isn't an official engagement. Even when the royal is representing the government it is still up to The Queen to decide whether to acknowledge that in the CC and she says 'no' to the girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom