"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
obviously lots of people do spend money on Netflix

The Crown Series has been one of the most popular English-language Netflix TV show of all time!

The Crown Series has been one of the most popular English-language Netflix TV show of all time!

The sad reality is that many of those people who have watched it have the view that it is accurate and even done with the approval of the royal family rather than being the hatchet job it has become.

The sad reality is that many of those people who have watched it have the view that it is accurate and even done with the approval of the royal family rather than being the hatchet job it has become.

By all accounts the new season will cause even more historical inaccuracies!

well I suspect with many of them the truth is that they want to beleive the negative things about the RF, esp Charles, and it suits them. Also, they lack critical ability....

And unfortunately the negative feeling will carry across and end the 'honeymoon' period of Charles III's reign. His popularity will plummet as this year ends ... as it has done since that started to deal with Diana and as he starts to recover the next series comes out and down it goes again. How much damage this series will do to the monarchy we can only wait and see but with Harry's book and the docuseries also coming I can see Charles' popularity plummeting to its lowest ebb as the people prefer to believe the garbage put out by Netflix and Harry rather than see the man for his good points.

If people’s ratings for the monarchy will go low enough because of an inaccurate Netflix drama, then clearly they need better things to do or watch.

And unfortunately the negative feeling will carry across and end the 'honeymoon' period of Charles III's reign. His popularity will plummet as this year ends ... as it has done since that started to deal with Diana and as he starts to recover the next series comes out and down it goes again. How much damage this series will do to the monarchy we can only wait and see but with Harry's book and the docuseries also coming I can see Charles' popularity plummeting to its lowest ebb as the people prefer to believe the garbage put out by Netflix and Harry rather than see the man for his good points.

He does have good points but, unfortunately for him and his now wife, she actually was the other woman in his marriage to Diana and there's no getting away from that. I'm sure he will hate every second of this new series of The Crown but that's just tough I'm afraid, actions have consequences.

Last edited:
If people’s ratings for the monarchy will go low enough because of an inaccurate Netflix drama, then clearly they need better things to do or watch.

Essentially this. If people's opinions of Charles or the BRF as a whole are affected by The Crown (or any other media), then they were already predisposed to disliking them and didn't need much of a push.

I'd like to think most intelligent people know The Crown is a drama, not a documentary, and that there is a lot of suspension of disbelief required to watch it, particularly when dealing with conversations between people. Did Princess Anne really tell her mother she slept with Andrew Parker-Bowles and did it for a bit of fun? Did Charles really scream at Diana that she had to be civil to Camilla because she (Camilla) meant something to him? Of course not. Anyone who thinks those things really happened needs a dose of reality.

Essentially this. If people's opinions of Charles or the BRF as a whole are affected by The Crown (or any other media), then they were already predisposed to disliking them and didn't need much of a push.

I'd like to think most intelligent people know The Crown is a drama, not a documentary, and that there is a lot of suspension of disbelief required to watch it, particularly when dealing with conversations between people. Did Princess Anne really tell her mother she slept with Andrew Parker-Bowles and did it for a bit of fun? Did Charles really scream at Diana that she had to be civil to Camilla because she (Camilla) meant something to him? Of course not. Anyone who thinks those things really happened needs a dose of reality.
of course people believe that these things really happened if they saw them on TV. just like they believe all that they read in the papers.

People DO believe it and that is the problem. If people didn't believe it then there wouldn't be a need for it to even be raised in parliament as happened when the last series came out.

Reactions: orv
The thing is that what Ann said about her sex life, or didn't say, is neither here nor there to most people but the Charles, Diana, Camilla aspect is of big interest. I'm sure the new King and Queen don't want it being discussed but what happened happened and they did behave badly so they just have to take it. The bottom line is that Charles had a wife and two young children and Camilla was sleeping with him and causing great distress to his wife. Strangley enough her own husband didn't seem to mind that she was sleeping with another man which shows how devoid of morality some of those involved were.

The thing is that what Ann said about her sex life, or didn't say, is neither here nor there to most people but the Charles, Diana, Camilla aspect is of big interest. I'm sure the new King and Queen don't want it being discussed but what happened happened and they did behave badly so they just have to take it. The bottom line is that Charles had a wife and two young children and Camilla was sleeping with him and causing great distress to his wife. Strangley enough her own husband didn't seem to mind that she was sleeping with another man which shows how devoid of morality some of those involved were.

Well, for one, my mentioning the scene with Princess Anne was just to illustrate that the show has always taken dramatic license with conversations between royals since we're not privy to them and don't have any transcripts to work with. I understand that her life is not the real interest of the show.

Two, I don't believe it's necessarily immoral to not care that your wife is sleeping with someone else provided you're in an open relationship that both parties are consenting to. Open relationships are not for me, I don't want to share my boyfriend with other women, but that's me. Other people live their lives differently. Now, if one party is screwing around and the other doesn't like it or didn't consent to that, then you have a problem. I don't know what category for the former Parker-Bowles marriage falls into, and frankly, it's no one's business.

Last edited:
Well, for one, my mentioning the scene with Princess Anne was just to illustrate that the show has always taken dramatic license with conversations between royals since we're not privy to them and don't have any transcripts to work with. I understand that her life is not the real interest of the show.

Two, I don't believe it's necessarily immoral to not care that your wife is sleeping with someone else provided you're in an open relationship that both parties are consenting to. Open relationships are not for me, I don't want to share my boyfriend with other women, but that's me. Other people live their lives differently. Now, if one party is screwing around and the other doesn't like it or didn't consent to that, then you have a problem. I don't know what category for the former Parker-Bowles marriage falls into, and frankly, it's no

Well I do call it immoral, especially if the married man you are sleeping with aspires to be the Supreme Governor of a Christian Church.

Last edited:

That may be true, but remember, there was wrong on both sides.

In any case, all that happened many years ago, and Charles has been married to Camilla for a long time (without any hint of scandal).

So what will it serve to dredge it all up again? And, exaggerate it to make it sound even worse than it was?

The Crown Season 5 cast

Imelda Staunton as Queen Elizabeth II
Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
Lesley Manville as Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
Marcia Warren as Queen Elizabeth ,The Queen Mother
Dominic West as Charles, Prince of Wales
Elizabeth Debicki as Diana, Princess of Wales
Olivia Williams as Camilla Parker Bowles
Claudia Harrison as The Princess Royal
Senan West as Prince William of Wales
James Murray as Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Emma Laird Craig as Sarah, Duchess of York
Sam Woolf as Prince Edward
Natascha McElhone as Penelope Knatchbull, Lady Romsey
Jonny Lee Miller as Sir John Major
Flora Montgomery as Norma Major
Bertie Carvel as Tony Blair
Khalid Abdalla as Dodi Fayed
Salim Daw as Mohamed Al-Fayed
Humayun Saeed as Dr. Hasnat Khan
Prasanna Puwanarajah as Martin Bashir

Well I do call it immoral, especially if the married man you are sleeping with aspires to be the Supreme Governor of a Christian Church.

The objection was more that it was against the officers' code of honour to sleep with another officer's wife!

Andrew Parker Bowles seems to have had one woman after another, and is supposed to have been the inspiration for Rupert Campbell Black in Jilly Cooper's Rutshire books. Diana had affairs with James Gilbey, James Hewitt and various others. Four wrongs don't make a right, but it wasn't just Charles and Camilla who were unfaithful.

It was a long time ago. Why does The Crown have to dredge it all up again? And they've also dragged John Major into it, by suggesting that he had discussions with Charles about the Queen abdicating, which is pure fiction/lies.

And they've also dragged John Major into it, by suggesting that he had discussions with Charles about the Queen abdicating, which is pure fiction/lies.

Good to see John Major stand up to the utter tosh that appears to be The Crown these days. I have not seen the last 2 series, and have no intention of watching series 5.

I must admit that originally I liked the show and the concept. The Windsor's are low lying fruit and there has always been dramas about them.
There will also be fictionalized history in cinema.
However there was several aspects from the second season that was not dramatization - it was propaganda. The best example is the juxtaposition of Mountbatten assassination's with hunting at Sandringham. Hunting is not the same same as a political assassinations' but placing it like that - gives both a leveling. And this isn't the only time it happens. There are many times from season 2 where you can stop it and say - that is purposeful propaganda. And that is what I find disturbing.

However that been said - for the last three years - much of our main stream media is propaganda. Most don't even attempt to veil it anymore. It is essentially everywhere.

The Crown Season 5 cast

Imelda Staunton as Queen Elizabeth II
Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
Lesley Manville as Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
Marcia Warren as Queen Elizabeth ,The Queen Mother
Dominic West as Charles, Prince of Wales
Elizabeth Debicki as Diana, Princess of Wales
Olivia Williams as Camilla Parker Bowles
Claudia Harrison as The Princess Royal
Senan West as Prince William of Wales
James Murray as Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Emma Laird Craig as Sarah, Duchess of York
Sam Woolf as Prince Edward
Natascha McElhone as Penelope Knatchbull, Lady Romsey
Jonny Lee Miller as Sir John Major
Flora Montgomery as Norma Major
Bertie Carvel as Tony Blair
Khalid Abdalla as Dodi Fayed
Salim Daw as Mohamed Al-Fayed
Humayun Saeed as Dr. Hasnat Khan
Prasanna Puwanarajah as Martin Bashir

Am I the only one who watch the preview and think "Oh dear, Dolores Umbridge becomes queen. Is this alternate universe where Voldemort wins?"

The Times

Is The Crown Season 5 actually fiction? The real story is as dramatic

Archive

Well, reading this article (which basically the summary of what actually happened), indeed there's enough materials for drama without the need to add made-up drama. So why with the unnecessary drama? To make it more controversial (aka click bait)?

Last edited:
I must admit that originally I liked the show and the concept. The Windsors are low-lying fruit and there have always been dramas about them. There will also be fictionalized history in cinema.
However, there were several aspects of the second season that was not dramatization - it was propaganda. The best example is the juxtaposition of Mountbatten's assassination with hunting at Sandringham. Hunting is not the same same as a political assassination but placing it like that - gives both a leveling. And this isn't the only time it happens. There are many times from season 2 where you can stop it and say - that is purposeful propaganda. And that is what I find disturbing.

You missed the point of that juxtaposition. It wasn't propaganda, which doesn't mean what you think it means, it was symbolism. Unless you're trying to say the writers/producers of The Crown sympathized with the IRA, in which case, that's a pretty serious accusation to make.

Good to see John Major stand up to the utter tosh that appears to be The Crown these days. I have not seen the last 2 series, and have no intention of watching series 5.

I'm not watching season 5 either. I don't like the direction the writers and producers are going with the story lines.

Intrigues me that netflix is so happy to declare now "its fictional" yet won't put that disclaimer at the front of an episode.

It is just one big money making machine now. Interesting that Peter Morgan has often had pretty anti monarchy views. Also interesting he sent legal letters to newspapers that reported on his own private life when he had an affair - because it was intrusive to his personal life and broke his privacy. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom