The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Foy played a better Queen Elizabeth II than Coleman, if you ask me. Olivia was incredibly stiff and the writers didn’t incorporate any of The Queen’s jolly and relaxed personality in this season. The Queen was portrayed as she was in a constant state of shock. No emotion and feeling whatsoever.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness

I think Tobias Menzes owns Swason 3 for his portrayal of Prince Philip. Outstanding! Olivia Coleman In too stiff.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Foy played a better Queen Elizabeth II than Coleman, if you ask me. Olivia was incredibly stiff and the writers didn’t incorporate any of The Queen’s jolly and relaxed personality in this season. The Queen was portrayed as she was in a constant state of shock. No emotion and feeling whatsoever.

To be fair, Colman was playing a middle-aged queen, whereas Foy's young woman had a more dramatic lifestyle.
Once life has settled, in a sense, there is less drama and more equilibrium.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
To be fair, Colman was playing a middle-aged queen, whereas Foy's young woman had a more dramatic lifestyle.
Once life has settled, in a sense, there is less drama and more equilibrium.
Yeah, but even in her middle age, The Queen was a lively character. She had a lot of fun. Coleman didn’t bring any personality to the character. It was all dead.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Belvoir Castle which is used in the series as Windsor Castle has now opened as a luxurious Airbnb!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...Years-Eve.html
Old 12-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Ok I've finally watched 2 episodes of Season 3 so far Olivia Coleman is a wonderful actress but a little too stiff at playing QEII,however Tobias Menzes is fantastic as Prince Philip.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Belvoir Castle which is used in the series as Windsor Castle has now opened as a luxurious Airbnb!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...Years-Eve.html
Not wishing to be a nerd but the third to the last image is a room in Lancaster House London.

The rest is most definitely Belvoir Castle, a wonderful mock gothic confection. One of my favourite stately homes.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hats off to the Daily Mail yet again

Maybe we'll tip them off that Lancaster House is used as a filming location for Buckingham Palace.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Yes, perhaps we should

Belvoir castle & Lancaster House were also used in "The Young Victoria" as stand-ins for Windsor & the palace.

Arundel Castle was Windsor in "The Madness of King George".
Old 12-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Watching episode 8 of The Crown and I swear the actress that’s portraying The Duchess of Windsor could portray an older Duchess of Cornwall. They just look rather similar and they have the same sad eyes.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I finished episode 4 last night 'Bubbikins' which was excellent

I noticed in the credits

Michael Thomas as the Duke of Gloucester
Penny Downie as the Duchess of Gloucester

I remember seeing them at the birthday party but I don't think they actually spoke nor would non royal watchers even know they were the queens uncle and aunt.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Watching episode 8 of The Crown and I swear the actress that’s portraying The Duchess of Windsor could portray an older Duchess of Cornwall. They just look rather similar and they have the same sad eyes.
That actress is Geraldine Chaplin, daughter of Charlie Chaplin and granddaughter of playwright Eugene O’Neill. Interesting family tree, eh?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-31-2019, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Erin Doherty is doing a fantastic job as Princess Anne ,I'm not keen on Marion Bailey playing the queen mother so far.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
That actress is Geraldine Chaplin, daughter of Charlie Chaplin and granddaughter of playwright Eugene O’Neill. Interesting family tree, eh?
Indeed yes! Your father made people laugh & your grandfather most certainly didn't.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I know this show isn't historically accurate, but it is definitely interesting, imo.

(Tried to watch The Irishman and lasted five minutes- every other word was an obscenity and I hate that! Wonder why filmmakers do that? They say it adds realism, but I don't know anyone who talks like that!)
Old 01-01-2020, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm actually shocked at this ,the Witcher I felt was quite poor.

The Crown fails to make Netflix UK's Top 10

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/201...ix-uks-top-10/
Old 01-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

I am not surprise - Many people I know didn't continue watching it. They might have tried the first episode but that was it. One of the ladies at work told me it wasn't the royal story they wanted. Several people didn't like the way Charles was shown - they made the suggestion that Charles was been seen as a romantic tragic hero so that people would later forgive what he did to Diana.
Several people said they should just jump to William and Harry, and their wives now - and do everything in backflashes. That is what people really want, especially the Americans. Harry and William out to save the world and the rest of the royals as villains trying to prevent it.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I'm actually shocked at this ,the Witcher I felt was quite poor.

The Crown fails to make Netflix UK's Top 10

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/201...ix-uks-top-10/

I am not surprised. In my view, most of the characters were poorly drawn by the writers, poorly directed, or poorly acted. I didn't like Colman as QEII (with the exception of the last episode) and Menzies as the DOE was given little to do other than be irritated. The actors playing Anne and Charles did a very good job, although attempts to make Charles a sympathetic character may have gone a little too far. During the first two seasons, I could connect with the Queen and Prince Philip's characters; I was rooting for them. In season 3 I found most characters a little tiresome. The was also little tension in how the historical events were played. The program is not a documentary, and so I would expect lots of dramatization that doesn't directly represent reality, but even the dramatizations fell flat.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've now finished Season 3 ,goodness knows when we'll see Season 4!

There was so much Season 3 did not show such as Anne's Wedding and attempted kidnap and went from late 60's to 1977 in the blink of an eye.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

It just wasn’t a good season. I expected better.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown