General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 5: September 2019 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Prince has always looked ascetic and fit. Not at all an unhealthy lifestyle, apart from the familial pleasure of having a cigarette indeed, which also Frederik does.

I did say he looked like and not he has, anyway there are various opinions like always no need to correct others.

I did say he looked like and not he has, anyway there are various opinions like always no need to correct others.

I am not correcting anyone. This is a discussion forum. You used the term "unhealthy lifestyle". I disagreed and used the term "ascetic and fit". That is all. Undoubtedly a third one will have another opinion on the Prince's physical appearance. All in the game.

Glad to see a picture of the brothers but Joachim looks far from healthy to me. There is something about his expression...

Glad to see a picture of the brothers but Joachim looks far from healthy to me. There is something about his expression...

He looks tire and older than his age.. but he's a middle aged man, so major surgery will probalby age him

Exactly. Seriously, Joachim has been through alot. He just survived a life threatening event involving the vascular system to his brain. I can't really tell from the picture if he had a carotid endarterectomy w/wo angioplasty/stent or there was a partial craniotomy involved - often time leaving very little evidence along the hairline. Anyway, I call that look "going through the wringer". Joachim has a ways to go in his recovery but he has already come a long way.

Last edited:
Exactly. Seriously, Joachim has been through alot. He just survived a life threatening event involving the vascular system to his brain. I can't really tell from the picture if he had a carotid endarterectomy w/wo angioplasty/stent or there was a partial craniotomy involved - often time leaving very little evidence along the hairline. Anyway, I call that look "going through the ringer". Joachim has a ways to go in his recovery but he has already come a long way.

The procedure was, I understand, through the vein in the groin.

The procedure was, I understand, through the vein in the groin.

Has this been officially said? Thank you. I did not read this and it makes a huge difference physically, though the psychological consequences can occur nevertheless if course.

Putting a stent through the groin up to the heart or other places is the usual practice here for a great many procedures.
I absolutely agree with you Moonmaiden that Caix or Cayx is a dream -- beautiful place to relax and recover from major surgery. The brothers have many happy memories of family life shared there and the scenery is so peaceful.

It doesn't matter how wealthy you are or whether you are a Prince or not the only thing you can truly call your own is your Health. Trying to keep in good health as you get older is always a challenge for everyone.
That is a nice natural photo of the brothers and no doubt given time his colour will come back and his weight should return to normal.
To my mind from his looks now, I would prescribe a nice juicy Steak and a small glass of guiness stout to take away that anaemic look. But most people look a bit anaemic after a hospital stay.
I wish him a good recovery.

Has this been officially said? Thank you. I did not read this and it makes a huge difference physically, though the psychological consequences can occur nevertheless if course.

AFAIK hardly any specific details have been mentioned officially. It is however the procedure all the DK experts I know off are in agreement were made. An open skull surgery being considered most unusual and of course much more serious.

He looks tired and thin to me. He wasn’t a big guy to begin with. But he’s clearly lost weight.

Considering what he’s been through, he looks good. It was nice (and smart really) of the RF to share a picture of the brothers.

Joachim has a way to go in his recovery, and it shows. You don't just bounce back from surgery, and the older you get, the longer it takes. It's great that Frederik visited, I'm sure it helped them both. QM must be frustrated, but no doubt she's been keeping in touch.

AFAIK hardly any specific details have been mentioned officially. It is however the procedure all the DK experts I know off are in agreement were made. An open skull surgery being considered most unusual and of course much more serious.

ah ok, I was suprised by your suggestion. well maybe it is, officially it was a bllod clot no stroke who knows and yes this makes a big difference.
but as said before even only the narcotics can take months to get over,
I am not surprised by his looks now. It would be nice if he got over, but I doubt it will be quick and without problems.

Its nice to see the brothers together. I am glad Frederick could go out and see him. I am sure Margrethe is worried and must be a relief Fred could go for her.

Yes he looks pale and weak. But that is natural and to be expected right now.

Nice selfie shared. It's good to see Joachim recovering

Nice to see the family.
Looks like Marie's mask needs a little fixing, but lovely to see all 4 out and about.

Princess Marie takes part in the French magazine Point de Vue's anniversary project "Let's change our perspective on the world":

"Tonight at 21.00, DR brings an interview with His Royal Highness Prince Joachim.
Here, the Prince talks about his new working life in France, about the family's everyday life during the COVID-19 pandemic and about a year that has offered many experiences and challenges.
The interview was recorded this week at the Prince's office at the Danish Embassy in Paris.⁣"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHngq11APom/

This is going to be in two parts.

The first part will be about my impression and observations.

The second part will be translations of various quotes from articles in various papers.

--------------

The interview was conducted at Joachim's office at the Danish embassy. It lasted about five minutes but was very relevant and informative..
Not least because the interviewer was Stephanie Surruque (spl?) a Danish-French journalist, who is very good indeed and she has written probably the best biography of PH ever made.
So she knows the family first hand.

The interview took place using the informal you. Informal you is simply the established way of address at the embassy, the Foreign Ministry and the Defense ministry and that was adhered to here.

The topics of the interview were:

Joachim recovering from his stroke.
He is physically fine, but he is still in recovery. (He looked tired to me, so I guess he is having problems with fatigue.)
He is also careful to listen to the doctors and for signs of another stroke. (In other words: This was a big scare! No wonder!)

He was also careful to point out that the stroke had been hard on his family. They didn't know the outcome for days and they witnessed first hand what happened. (No doubt scaring the wits out of Marie and the children.)

He referred several times to "The Creator." So maybe he is having a religious awareness as a result of the stroke?

Another topic was Corona in France.
Curfews and not being allowed to move around freely is a very different from the France he knows so well.

A third topic was terrorism in France.
Something that is in the back of the mind always. Partly through news coverage and partly due to the precautions and increased awareness of people.
This is not something people take lightly!

2020 has sure been a dour year!
So it's about finding joy and pleasure in little things. Like just being together with the children. Helping them with their homework and so on.

And finally: Will they stay in France?
Joachim has firmly decided that he will not think further ahead than the three years his current position lasts, with a possibility of an extension for one year.

- He was well articulated as always. Very precise in his language as always. But tired.
Mentally has is IMO clearly in the recovery phase. This was an experience that makes him ponder his life and it remains to be seen where that will take him.

Part two.

Translation of quotes.

First from DR.dk:
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/udland/pr...ivt-interview-jeg-er-taknemmelig-vaere-i-live

"The (physical) shape is fine.
But I have to say that there are still things I work on... and that's how it will be for a long time yet.
It's after all not just me and my physical well being that was hit. My wife (informal word), my children and the nearest family - we have all been affected by this. I was hit physically, but they were on the front row. That's why the family is also a part of this healing and we thank out Creator for every single day. Simply."

Q: Has the priorities changes as a result of this?
"We are after all together here in our little life in Paris, which with Corona on top of that has become even less physical - and we enjoy to be able to be together. We enjoy every moment we have. And it's right down in the light detail like helping the children with the homework. Just that, being together..."

Q: So comfort and presence matters even more?
"Yes."

About France being in lockdown:
"It really is weird times.
There are restrictions on movement, there is curfew, we have to have a permit if you move more than one kilometer away from the home.
In a way that's not what you connect with neither France, Paris, let alone the day to day life we have all been born and grown up in. But we all have to contribute in order to be a part of the solution and not opposite directions.
Of course I adhere to the demand about wearing a mask. We owe that to each other, but you also owe that to yourself. It's too stupid to walk around thinking you can't get Corona. All can get it. Some can be hit very severely, some are fortunate, but there is no reason not to step carefully. This is serious."

Does the terrorism affect the family?
"It sure does. We are all aware of it. You become that, the moment you turn on the French media. It's no joking matter here. It's a threat, and where the threat strikes that is not something we should bet on. It's serious, no matter where in France you are, but in particular in the capital.
For that reason alone, there is a bit of a cloud hanging above everybody here in France."

The day to day life in Paris:
"Keep in mind that I'm half French and down here I can also cultivate the French side of my personality and blend into the French day to day life when I wish to.
In the same we can within the four walls of the home be Danish, we can be French, we can Danish-French, we can mix it just as much as we darn well please.
And as for the work at the embassy and that about being stationed in Paris, then Princes Marie and I are proud to be those, who after my father, keep the connection between Denmark and France close."

Returning home or not?
"I have simply decided to take things quiet and easy. Just stepping into a full time job for the Defense abroad is a major change, it's a whole new world to me.
The job as defense attache is for three years at a time, with possibility for an extension of up to one additional year, but I will not look further into the future - that would simply be unmanageable for me.
We enjoy living in the present - with the trouble that sometimes entails. We always look forward, because there will always be something exiting beyond the next hill."

Billed Bladet: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-om-danskernes-stoette-det-gik-lige-i-hjertet

About the public sympathy he got when he fell ill:
"It was incredibly warming and it was also something we all felt. So the sympathy we all got, that really has gone straight to the heart."

Last edited:
This is too cute.

You can feel the love between them.

I know we should we should be careful about deducing too much from a single snap.

But this photo fascinates me.
I find it to be a very strong photo, with a deep sense of quiet intimacy.
It's the expression in Joachim's eyes that especially draws me in.
I believe the Americans have an expression for it: The thousand yard stare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom