Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Otto (1912-2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...You sure of that? <looking very sceptical> I live not far from the Austrian border in Bavaria and I personally doubt that.. Yes, there are bonds, strong bonds but it's a bit like siblings - together against the world (especially Prussia and Prussians) but non-stop at war with each other.
I'm not sure at all. I only know Austria and Southern Germany as a tourist, and I think I got carried away by the love I have for that part of the world. I just happen to know a few people from Bavaria and Austria and they often mention geting along better between them than with Northeners. Love your passion about history, I am the same, although your knowledge is far greater! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a grand event! I wish I could be in Vienna next week to be one of the many thousands paying respects to Otto and Regina.

Any news about members of the Spanish royals attending? They should attend...

:imperialaustria:

No news from Spain yet,no.Depends on who's invited by the Family.

TI & RH Archduke Lorenz of Habsburg - Este and Archduchess Astrid,néé Princess of Belgium,will represent the Belgian Royal Family at the funeral on saturday july 16th.

:habsburg::austria-hungary:

They invited about 1000 guests to the funeral in Vienna, about 300 of them are Habsburgs. The president of the republic of Austria will attend, as well as some other Austrian politicians. Hopefully, we will also see some foreign royals and nobles paying their last respect to Otto von Habsburg besides the Fürst of Liechtenstein who has already confirmed his attendance. According to some newspapers, the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, the King of Spain and the King of Belgium were invited but haven't confirmed yet.

Last edited:
Thank you indeed, Kataryn. To my eye, you provided just the right amount of information... not too much, not too little. :flowers:
Thank you very much! :flowers:
Love your passion about history, I am the same, although your knowledge is far greater! :)
Thank you, too, for your kind post. And contact me via PM when you come to Germany or Austria. Maybe I can show you some rather unknown "jewels" of our history. :flowers:

Strange that Herzog Franz von Bayern was not there.

Is thre any chance of someone from the British Royals to attend?

After his statements of renunciation of the '60s he used to call himself just Dr.Otto von Habsburg.

Is thre any chance of someone from the British Royals to attend?
Princess Michael of Kent will attend the funeral in Vienna, although I don't know if she will officially represent the British Royal Family or she will be there privately.

Lucien, thanks for your answer and for keeping us up-to-date!

Princess Michael (formerly Marie-Christine von Reibnitz) is probably the ideal representative for this because she speaks German.

Princess Michael (formerly Marie-Christine von Reibnitz) is probably the ideal representative for this because she speaks German.

It's of no consequence wheter or not one speaks a certain language when attending a funeral or any other solemn event.There's no "ideal" person,it is all about representation only.

What a grand event! I wish I could be in Vienna next week to be one of the many thousands paying respects to Otto and Regina.

Any news about members of the Spanish royals attending? They should attend...

I'd be surprised to see a member of The Spanish RF they seem to be far too busy to attend anything royalty related of late.

Archduke Karl, Head of the House of Habsbourg

I just saw Archduke's Otto Requiem in Bavaria and was really impressed; He had a National Requiem , with all the highest Personalities of Bayern and Europa, with a lot of respect.
After years of Exile He find in Bavaria his Second Country.

Archduke Karl was the first just behind the royal coffin with his Son.
I am sure he will continue the Habsbourg traditions , it was his Father's Will.

Having seen the Requiem this morning i started a new thread for his Son Archduke Karl the new Head of the House of Habsbourg and the way he acted so well but the Board cancelled it ?

Omg... so what time was the requiem ??? at 7.00 am ???? Cant believe it... Anyway, I missed it :((((
What time will be the funeral next Saturday ???? Please if someone have the link to watch it on Internet, tell me in advance, the same as the exact time!!!!

Brazil

Prince Bertrand of Orléans-Braganza , representing the imperial family of Brazil.

:imperialaustria:
TRH The Duke and Duchess of Parma,as well as HRH Prince Jaime de Bourbon Parma,younger brother of the present Duke,will attend the funeral in Vienna this saturday.The Duke's grandfather,Prince Xavier,was a brother of the Empress Zita.From Luxembourg a substantial delegation is expected as the Grand Duke's grandfather,Prince Felix,also was a brother of Empress Zita.

From today the remains of both Archduke Otto as well as Archduchess Regina will lie in repose at the Wahlfart Basilica,Mariazell,Austria until wednesday evening.On wednesday afternoon a Requiem will be celebrated at the Wahlfart Basilica.This will not be aired,the funeral on saturday will as will part of the funerary procession throught the inner city of Vienna and the "Knocking on the Door" ceremony at the Kapuzinergruft at about 19.00 PM local time.

Wahlfart Basilica,Mariazell,Austria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuOiTcaGt8&feature=player_embedded

:habsburg::austria-hungary::duchyofparma:

Last edited:
Thanks God the Borbones are sending the Dukes of Palma de Mallorca. In the link below the Spanish press says that the Royal family is deciding on wether or not they should attend Otto and Rergina's funeral this Saturday, the link is in Spanish, sorry :(
I trust your info lucien, and I am happy that the Spaniards are attending, taken into account that they are arguably the most important Roman Catholic reigning house and that their PR hasn't been very impressive lately, very good news indeed.
Zarzuela an valora la presencia o no de la familia real espaola en los funerales de Otto de Habsburgo - Extraconfidencial.com

About the spanish royals: Felipe and Letizia have an engagement at their calendar on Saturday at 11.30 spanish time in Marin, Pontevedra.

@ Johann Salvator,I don't see any mentioning of the Dukes of Palma at all...?!

But TRH the Duke and Duchess of Braganza will be in attendance,
as well as Prince Bertrand representing the Brazilian Imperial Family.

Other then that,no mentioning of anyone from Spain,they haven't decided yet.

The Wahlfart Basilica Mariazell.

http://www.basilika-mariazell.at/

The remains of HI & RH Archduke Otto will arrive at 17.00 PM today at the Basilica,where the remains HI & RH Archduchess Regina will also have arrived by then.At 18.00PM a Rosary is scheduled after which the Basilica will remain open untill midnight for mourners to pay their last respetcs to the Imperial Couple.The Basilica will open again at 07.00AM tomorrow morning.TI & RH will lie in repose at the Basilica untill tomorrow after the Requeim which is at 14.00PM local time.In the early evening the remains will be moved to Vienna by train.

Last edited:
I hope the Romanian Royal Family will attend too because Dr.Otto von Habsburg was first cousin of Queen Ana.

Back
Top Bottom