On This Day: Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nor did the younger brother Infante Fernando de Borbón born in 1832 and died in 1854.

That's correct; he was born after the decree and thus an Infante from birth.

On this day, June 24, 1860 ~ Birth of Maria de las Mercedes of Orleans, Queen of Spain, wife of King Alfonso XII of Spain

On this day, June 24, 1860 ~ Birth of Maria de las Mercedes of Orleans, Queen of Spain, wife of King Alfonso XII of Spain

Maria de la Mercedes d'Orléans was the daughter of the Antoine d'Orléans Duke of Montpensier and the Infanta María Luisa Fernanda of Spain.
The duke was the son of King Louis Philippe of France and the Infanta was the younger sister of Isabel II of Spain.

On a day like today, June 28, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1412: It is made public that the Castilian infant Fernando de Trastámara is named King of Aragon, adopting the name of Fernando I (Compromiso de Caspe).
1519: Carlos I is appointed Holy Roman Emperor

On a day like today, July 3, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1702: In the framework of the War of the Spanish Succession, Austria ―partisan of Carlos VI―, declares war on France and Spain ―partisan of Felipe V―.
1808: Napoleon Bonaparte cedes the kingdoms of Spain and the Indies to his brother, José.

On a day like today, July 6, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1339: King Alfonso IV of Aragon grants the barony of Ayerbe to his wife, Leonor, and this bequeaths it to her son, Fernando.
1385: Blanca I of Navarra is born, Queen of Navarre (d. 1441).
1744: María Josefa Carmela de Borbón, Infanta of Spain and Princess of Naples and Sicily, daughter of Carlos III, is born.
1782: María Luisa de Borbón y Borbón-Parma, Infanta of Spain is born.
1789: María Isabel de Borbón y Borbón-Parma, Infanta of Spain is born.

On a day like today, June 8, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1545: Carlos de Austria, Prince of Asturias (d. 1568) is born.

On this day, July 9, 1746 ~ Demise of King Philip V of Spain, the first Bourbon King of Spain

Last edited:
On this day, July 11, 1766 ~ Demise of Elisabeth Farnese of Parma, Queen of Spain. wife of King Philip V of Spain

The queen dowager died at the Palacio Real La Granja and Aranjuez and is buried beside her husband at the Royal Collegiate Church of the Holy Trinity in Segovia.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe....jpg/576px-La_Granja_de_San_Ildefonso_022.jpg

Aranjuez and La Granja are different Palaces. The Church in which she and her husband are buried is the Church of the Palace La Granja.

Felipe V strangely was not buried at the El Escorial in Madrid but instead at the Collegiate Church of La Granja de San Ildefonso in Segovia.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/FelipVTomba.jpg/349px-FelipVTomba.jpg

And also his second wife, despite the fact that she could have buried at the Pantheon of the Kings at the Escorial as she was the mother of a King.

Last edited by a moderator:
And also his second wife, despite the fact that she could have buried at the Pantheon of the Kings at the Escorial as she was the mother of a King.

Yes that's correct and also Maria Louise de Savoie is buried at San Lorenzo de El Escorial.

On this day, July 12, 1651, Margarita Teresa of Austria, Infanta of Spain and Portugal, daughter of Felipe IV, was born.

On a day like today, July 19, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1068: Sancho II of Castile defeats his brother Alfonso VI of León.
1195: in Ciudad Real, defeat of Alfonso VIII of Castile (Battle of Alarcos).
1974: The then Prince Juan Carlos assumes the interim position of the Head of State.

On this day, July 21, 1858 ~ Birth of Maria Christina of Austria, Queen of Spain, wife of King Alfonso XII of Spain

On this day, July 22, 1478 ~ Birth of Philip, Duke of Burgundy, husband of Queen Juana of Castile

24th of July 1568 : Death of Don Carlos, Prince of Asturias

Don Carlos was the son of Philip II of Spain and Maria of Portugal. The Prince who was mentally unstable was imprisoned by his father in 1565 and died aged 23 in Madrid. His remains were firstly buried at the Santo Domingo el Real convent in Madrid and were later reburied at the Pantheon of Princes at the El Escorial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos,_Prince_of_Asturias

202px-Alonso_S%C3%A1nchez_Coello_-_Infant_Don_Carlos_of_Spain_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

July 27th,1276 : Death of Jaime I (el Conquistador) of Aragon.

Jaime was king of Aragon Count of Barcelona, and Lord of Montpellier from 1213 until his death and later also king of Mallorca and Valencia.His long reign saw the further expansion of the kingdom of Aragon. His remains are buried Royal Abbey of Santa Maria de Poblet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I_of_Aragon

Jaime_I_de_Arag%C3%B3n.jpg

On a day like today, July 30, in the Spanish Monarchy:
1017: In León, King Alfonso V promulgates the Fuero de León.
1632: Carlos of Austria, Infante of Spain, dies. Son of Felipe III
1683: Maria Teresa of Austria, Spanish Infanta and Queen of France dies.
1808: José I Bonaparte abruptly leaves Madrid upon hearing the news of the victory of the Spanish troops over the French at the Battle of Bailén.
1936: Pilar de Borbón, Infanta of Spain and Duchess of Badajoz are born
1976: King Juan Carlos I decrees a political amnesty in Spain that affects 500 people imprisoned for their ideology.

On a day like today, August 6, in the Spanish Monarchy:
1162: Ramón Berenguer IV, Count of Barcelona, dies
1975: Alfonso de Orleans, Infante of Spain and Spanish military aviator (b. 1886) dies.

On a day like today, August 6, in the Spanish Monarchy:
1162: Ramón Berenguer IV, Count of Barcelona, dies

Despite being married to the Queen Regnant of Aragon I don't believe Ramón was given the title of king.
After his death the County of Barcelona was merged with the Crown of Aragon.

His remains are buried at Santa Maria de Ripoll which was the mausoleum for the Counts of Barcelona.

Ramon_Berenguer_IV_%28Barcelona%29.jpg

On this day, August 9, 1847 ~ Birth of Queen Maria Vittoria of Spain, wife of King Amadeo I of Spain, in Paris, France

On this day, August 9, 1847 ~ Birth of Queen Maria Vittoria of Spain, wife of King Amadeo I of Spain, in Paris, France

Through her mother Countess Louise de Mérode she was also related to the Princely House of Monaco as her mothers younger sister Antoinette de Mérode
married Charles III, Prince of Monaco in 1846.

On this day, August 10, 1759 ~ Demise of King Ferdinand VI in Madrid, Spain

On this day, August 10, 1759 ~ Demise of King Ferdinand VI in Madrid, Spain
The king is buried not at the El Escorial but instead at the Convent of the Salesas Reales in Madrid.
The convent was founded by his wife Barbara de Braganza who is also buried there.

Back
Top Bottom