On This Day: Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, April 27, 1806 ~ Birth of Maria Christina of the Two Sicilies, Queen of Spain, wife of King Ferdinand VII of Spain

On a day like today, April 29, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1729: Felipe V makes the Mozos de Veciana, better known throughout Catalonia as Mossos de Esquadra, an official institution.
1833: In Asturias, the infant Carlos María Isidro refuses to recognize his niece Isabel II of Spain as queen, giving rise to the First Carlist War.
2007: Sofía de Borbón, Infanta of Spain is born.

On this day, May 1, 1539 ~ Demise of Isabel of Portugal, Queen of Spain, wife of Charles I, King of Spain

On this day, May 1, 1539 ~ Demise of Isabel of Portugal, Queen of Spain, wife of Charles I, King of Spain

Isabel was Holy Roman Empress, Queen of Spain, Naples and Sicily and had acted as Regent of Spain on many occasions from her court at Toledo.

344px-Flanders_Isabella_of_Portugal.jpg

Isabel was Holy Roman Empress, Queen of Spain, Naples and Sicily and had acted as Regent of Spain on many occasions from her court at Toledo.

344px-Flanders_Isabella_of_Portugal.jpg

Isabel of Portugal and her husband, Emperor Charles V, were first cousins as they were both grandchildren of the Catholic Kings, Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castille.

Last edited:
Prior to becoming Emperor and as Archduke of Austria and Duke of Burgundy, Charles was firstly engaged to Mary of England the daughter of Henry VII .The engagement was later broken off by Henry VIII who married his sister to Louis XII of France.

On this day, May 13, 1822 ~ Birth of Francisco, Duke of Cadiz, King Consort of Queen Isabella II of Spain

On this day, May 16, 1696 ~ Demise of Mariana of Austria, Queen of Spain, second wife of King Philip IV of Spain

On this day, May 17, 1886 ~ Birth of King Alfonso XIII of Spain in Madrid, Spain

On this day, May 19, 1797 ~ Birth of Maria Isabel of Portugal, Queen Consort of King Ferdinand VII of Spain

Last edited by a moderator:
On a day like today, May 22, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1293: Sancho IV of Castile, as a reward for loyalty to the Crown of Castile in the fight against the rights of the Infantes de la Cerda, grants abundant grants to Andalusian cities and councils.
1542: King Carlos I of Spain orders "that the cruelties that are committed in the Indies be remedied."
2004: King Felipe de Borbón y Grecia marry with Queen Consort Letizia Ortíz Rocasolano.

Last edited:
On this day, May 17, 1886 ~ Birth of King Alfonso XIII of Spain in Madrid, Spain

The king was born at the Palacio Real in Madrid and was king from birth with his mother Queen Maria Christina of Austria acting as Regent until 1902.The king was baptized at the royal chapel on May 22nd with Pope Leo XIII as his godfather and the Infanta Isabel ,dowager Countess of Girgenti as his godmother.

311px-Alfonso_XIII_y_Mar%C3%ADa_Cristina_Regente._1898._Luis_Alvarez_Catal%C3%A1.jpg

On this day, May 31, 1906 ~ The Wedding of King Alfonso XIII of Spain and Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg in Madrid, Spain

The Queen Mother, Maria Christina of Austria was against the marriage she wanted Alfonso XIII to marry a Catholic Princess.The queen mother also didn't view the Battenberg's as a dynastic house either.

On a day like today, June 8, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1288: Sancho IV "el Bravo" kills Lope de Haro, lord of Vizcaya in Alfaro.
1492 the Catholic Monarchs grant Alonso Fernández de Lugo permission to conquer the island of La Palma, in the Canary Islands.

On a day like today, June 8, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1288: Sancho IV "el Bravo" kills Lope de Haro, lord of Vizcaya in Alfaro.

Lope Díaz III of Haro,Lord of Vizcaya was executed as he took part in a rebellion against the king and was taken prisoner and had his hand cut off first and was then hit on the head with a mace killing him.

On a day like today, June 11, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1485 in Marbella, the Muslim warden Mohammad Abuneza surrenders to the Catholic Monarchs, handing them the keys to the city.
1594 Felipe II recognizes the rights and privileges of the nobles of the Philippines, which creates the Principalía.
1726 Born María Teresa Rafaela de Borbón, Infanta of Spain and Delfina of France, daughter of Felipe V.

Last edited:
On this day, June 16, 1742 ~ Demise of Louise-Elisabeth of Orleans, Queen of Spain, wife of King Luis I of Spain

On this day, June 16, 1742 ~ Demise of Louise-Elisabeth of Orleans, Queen of Spain, wife of King Luis I of Spain

The dowager queen died at the Palace de Luxembourg in Paris having returned to France in March 1725.
Louise-Élisabeth d'Orléans was buried at Saint-Sulpice church in Paris however the vault was violated and looted in 1793 and her remains desecrated.

390px-Troy_Teresa_Kunegunda_Sobieska.jpg

On a day like today, June 16, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1456: King Enrique IV of Castile grants the Charter of Privilege to the city of Estepona (Malaga).
1556: in England, Maria Tudor I of England recognizes her husband, Felipe II of Spain, as her heir.
1742: Luisa Isabel de Orleans, wife of King Louis I., dies.

On a day like today, June 19, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1509: King Ferdinand II of Aragon, as Regent of Castile on behalf of his daughter, Queen Juana I of Castile, orders the town of Casabermeja (Malaga) to be founded (by Royal decree).
2014: Proclamation of Felipe VI as the new King of Spain.

On this day, June 20, 1913 ~ Birth of Infante Juan of Spain, Count of Barcelona, the paternal grandfather of King Felipe VI

On this day, June 20, 1913 ~ Birth of Infante Juan of Spain, Count of Barcelona, the paternal grandfather of King Felipe VI

At the time of his birth he had 2 older brothers both of whom later renounced their rights to the Spanish throne.

Don Alfonso, Prince of Asturias who was later killed in an accident in 1938
The Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia 1908-1975

Count of Barcelona is one of the historic titles held by the Kings of Spain. When Don Juan assumed the title Count of Barcelona he was head of the house and (in his own eyes) King of Spain, not Infante of Spain.

Last edited:
Yes Don Juan only started using the title Count Of Barcelona from around 1941 onwards .

I often wondered if King Juan Carlos had ever offered his father a higher title such as dukedom after the Borbon restoration.

On a day like today, June 23, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1158: Sancho III of Castile and Fernando II of León sign the Treaty of Sahagún for the peace of both kingdoms.
1222: Constanza de Aragón, Aragonese Infanta, wife of King Emerico I of Hungary and later of Emperor Frederick II (b. 1179), dies.
1532: Enrique VIII of England and Francisco I of France sign a secret pact against King Carlos I of Spain.
1862: María de la Paz de Borbón, Infanta of Spain, daughter of Isabel II, is born.

On a day like today, June 23, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1862: María de la Paz de Borbón, Infanta of Spain, daughter of Isabel II, is born.

The Infanta went onto marry her cousin Prince Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria in 1883.
Prince Ludwig Ferdinand mother was Infanta Amalia of Spain who was a younger sister of Francisco de Asís, Duke of Cádiz (husband of Isabella II)

Francisco de Asís was a first cousin of Isabel II and he and his siblings were created Infante/Infanta by decree in 1823, when he was one year old. Francisco was originally born as a Duke because as the Constitution from 1820 until 1823 restricted Infante/Infanta to children of the monarch and children of the heir. Amalia was born after the decree was in place and therefore an Infanta from birth.

Indeed, Enrique was also born prior to the 1823 decree (just a few months earlier) and thus was also born as a Duke.

However, their older sister Isabel Fernandina was likewise born prior to the decree (in 1821) and for some reason she did not receive a a dukedom.

Back
Top Bottom