Princess Alexia of Greece Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fun to see Margrethe wearing the tiara, but I don't think I understand why she would have had ever had occasion to borrow one — surely a reigning queen travels with a spare in case of unexpected gala event? (QEII needed a loan just once in her lifetime, IIRC.)

Also, Anne-Marie was never seen wearing it and it was formerly presented as "a gift to Alexia". Doesn't that make the Ingrid (lent to Margrethe) ---> (left to) Alexia ownership chain more likely?

That could be. But in the same way: why would Ingrid never have worn it? Or just lent it once to her eldest daughter. And why did Ingrid not give tiaras to her other granddaughters? Pss Alexandra still got married in Ingrid's lifetime. I believe Pss Alexia also inherited Queen Ingrids diamond and ruby bow brooch.

Prinsara said:
surely a reigning queen travels with a spare in case of unexpected gala event?

Not a reigning queen but Josephine-Charlotte most likely borrowed a tiara for Margrethe's wedding. It could be that there was a problem with Margrethe's tiara. All speculation at this point of course. This photo is certainly one of the most intruiging royal jewel finds of the last years.

I suppose it can not be a photo montage, though the DM does not list a source for the photo.

Last edited:
I suspect that Anne Marie and her husband bought a tiara for Alexia's 18th birthday and they loaned it to Margrethe. Maybe she only wore it once.

I suppose another theory is Margrethe did need a last-minute borrow in London from a jeweler or private source, and Anne-Marie and Constantine noticed, liked it, and decided to purchase it for Alexia, although that is a very long stretch of time between wearers. It would help if Alexia's tiara had any kind of given history.

I suppose it can not be a photo montage, though the DM does not list a source for the photo.

It's not very likely to be a photoshop, but there is something written on the picture. Which I assume means the DM pulled it from its own archives. I can't even figure out what event this would have been.

Didn't Princess Theodora also wear that tiara to one of the Royal Weddings?

I'm thinking that its not owned outright by Alexia and is part of the family jewels?

I think it probably does belong to Alexia, but she's willing to share with her sister on occasion. Theodora doesn't have a designated tiara to wear to events, usually borrowing the Antique Corsage.

For me, the real question will come after Anne-Marie sadly passes away. Pavlos and Marie-Chantal already have possession of Queen Sophie's magnificent tiara and will likely inherit the ruby and emerald parures as well. I'd like to see Theodora, as the youngest daughter, inherit the Khedive like her mother did and continue to loan it out for weddings.

For a non reigning house the Greek RF really have an impressive jewel chest compared to an almost empty jewel vault of the Belgians!

For a non reigning house the Greek RF really have an impressive jewel chest compared to an almost empty jewel vault of the Belgians!

Truly! And it's only been added to with substantial pieces purchased by the Miller money. Which is why I hope that Alexia's tiara is really her own possession. She has three daughters and it would be nice for them to inherit a piece of the family's history, even if they aren't titled like their cousins.

Personally I hope that they retain as much of the family jewels together and don't break it up as the Belgians did and were left with a depleted vault.

Personally I hope that they retain as much of the family jewels together and don't break it up as the Belgians did and were left with a depleted vault.

But Belgium is an existing monarchy, and Greece is not. There is less of a need to keep the family jewel box intact for the heirs of a pretender to a throne. It's sad but true. One can only hope that the current family members never find themselves so in need of cash that the big gun tiaras find their way to an auction house :sad:

But Belgium is an existing monarchy, and Greece is not. There is less of a need to keep the family jewel box intact for the heirs of a pretender to a throne. It's sad but true. One can only hope that the current family members never find themselves so in need of cash that the big gun tiaras find their way to an auction house :sad:

The Greek RF are invited to a lot more tiara events thanks to the Danish RF, however that may change in the future.
It would be very sad to see Queen Anne Marie's wonderful jewels being sold off!

The Greek RF are invited to a lot more tiara events thanks to the Danish RF, however that may change in the future.
It would be very sad to see Queen Anne Marie's wonderful jewels being sold off!

The Swedes need an emerald tiara and a ruby parure, maybe they could make a bid for some of the Greek jewels should they ever go up for auction LOL!

For me, the real question will come after Anne-Marie sadly passes away. Pavlos and Marie-Chantal already have possession of Queen Sophie's magnificent tiara and will likely inherit the ruby and emerald parures as well. I'd like to see Theodora, as the youngest daughter, inherit the Khedive like her mother did and continue to loan it out for weddings.

Where the Greek collection ends up will be interesting. Pavlos & M-C have plenty of money and not need to monetise the collection. Some of the other siblings may not be in the same situation financially.

I *have to believe* that AM will bequeath her grandmother's wedding tiara back to the Danish RF as it is worn by all female decendants as a wedding tiara. I can't believe for a minute that she would allow such an heirloom to be put up for auction.

Queen Ingrid had the turquoise bandeau, which she only wore as a very young woman. She had the Baden palmette, but was never seen wearing it. She was very rarely seen wearing Queen Sophia's star tiara. It seems she had her favorites and never bothered to wear the lesser liked pieces. So I can believe that, maybe, she owned Alexia's tiara for a while without wearing it. But then she had 18th birthday tiaras made for her two younger daughters. Why convert perfectly lovely brooches into tiaras, when there are unworn tiaras lying in the vault?

Alexia first wore this tiara in 1995, Margrethe is pictured with it in 1980. That's a long gap, and at her first tiara appearance in 1987, Alexia wore the antique corsage tiara. Why would that be, if her parents had already bought a tiara for her? It's a bit of a mystery.:cool:

I would rule out the theory that the photo of Margrethe wearing it was a photo montage. There's no need to make one, as there are enough pictures of her wearing a tiara around. DM probably pulled it out of their archive because it was taken in Britain, had the Queen Mum in it. That gives it a British twist for their British readers. But the article doesn't even mention tiaras, so why bother to photoshop Alexia's tiara onto her? That doesn't make sense and I'm sure the photo is an original.

Alexia first wore this tiara in 1995, Margrethe is pictured with it in 1980. That's a long gap, and at her first tiara appearance in 1987, Alexia wore the antique corsage tiara. Why would that be, if her parents had already bought a tiara for her? It's a bit of a mystery.:cool:

The first time it was seen in Alexia was in 1990 at Queen Margrethe's 50th birthday celebrations.

It is really strange. I often wondered why her parents bought a new tiara for her when there was the antique pearl tiara tiara (at that time there was noc MC). And why did they not buy the circle tiara from Princess Irene. That would have been a Family piece.

I *have to believe* that AM will bequeath her grandmother's wedding tiara back to the Danish RF as it is worn by all female decendants as a wedding tiara. I can't believe for a minute that she would allow such an heirloom to be put up for auction.

Normally I would agree with you, but not in this case. Since QMII culled the title of prince/princess in her own house, there are plenty of jewels left in the Danish collection to be worn by a future Queen, as long as they stop gifting them to the wives that marry in. Let the Khedive stay with the Greeks who remain princes/princess of Denmark through the Christian X line.

It is really strange. I often wondered why her parents bought a new tiara for her when there was the antique pearl tiara tiara (at that time there was noc MC). And why did they not buy the circle tiara from Princess Irene. That would have been a Family piece.

It could be that the tiara was a gift from QMII to Alexia?

I would love to see the Khedieve tiara back in the DRF, but I am not sure it is going to happen.

If it doesn't end up being sold, it will just end up getting sold in the next generation or two, depending on how the Greek jewellery stash is dealt with after the death of Anne-Marie. And that will be sad!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom