British Royal Jewels of the Past 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, both of those ladies had impeccable posture (not to mention corsets) that gave a very regal bearing. Slumped is never a good look in a tiara!

I new that I was not going crazy! I thought of that tiars when I seen her wear that. I wonder if the disigner copied that tiara.

Forgive me if someone else has answered this already - but does anyone know what happened to Queen Alex's diamond net choker. I know it has a name, but cannot remember it. Queen Mary was seen in it, but I don't think it's been seen since. (see Alexandra in it in post 132)

Such are the things that keep us jewel geeks awake at night!!

Ah, Queen Alexandra's collier résille necklace. According to Field, the last time it's been seen was on Queen Mary. I can't reinforce that (Warren? Any suggestions?) it has any truth, but I haven't seen it anywhere else except in the hallowed pages of The Queen's Jewels. QEII doesn't seem to be overly fond of chokers. :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, that's it the collier résille. I guess it is quite a tricky piece to wear, but it is so beautiful, it would have looked fabulous on Di (though she would probably have over-accessorised it I imagine). Hmm, wonder if it is still languishing in those vaults..

Actually, now I have opened up Field again, I'm seeing loads of jewels on Q Mary that don't seem to have seen the light of day again. Her collection was just ridicuous, and she really did seem to wear them all, unlike Lilibet who unfortunately trots the same ones out again and again (though at least has gone back to the vaults a few times in recent years, such as bringing the stomacher back out).

Someone find the key and oil the lock!

A bit of time to myself, and now I've got myself obsessing about these things...

Another one that I don't think has seen the light of day in many a year is Queen Mary's necklace/tiara from 'Some ladies of England'. She's wearing it on p38 of Field (87 edition) in the section about the Girls of GB tiara. I've had this book for years, but looking at it again with my renewed fervour for these things, I just cannot place it again. Please someone prove me wrong!

You are correct---that tiara/necklace has not been seen Mary's early days of marriage. Pity--it being a wedding gift and all.
Personally, I would like a new look at the Kent Amethyst, but HM hasn't worn any piece of the parue since 2002. I hope Camilla will wear it-she seems to like amethysts.

You are correct---that tiara/necklace has not been seen Mary's early days of marriage. Pity--it being a wedding gift and all.
Personally, I would like a new look at the Kent Amethyst, but HM hasn't worn any piece of the parue since 2002. I hope Camilla will wear it-she seems to like amethysts.

I still hope for an State Visit from Belgium, perhaps HM would wear the Kent amethysts then as it would match the Sash of the order of Leopold.
When was the last time the necklace was seen? I believe somwehere in the 80's.

I think the last (and only?) time the Kent Amethysts were seen on QEII was in Portugal in the late 80's. It's odd she hasn't worn them more, as she likes coloured suites (rubies, sapphires, emeralds, aquamarines), and for three of those had a new tiara made - surely she could have found a few spare diamonds in the vault, and perhaps splashed on a couple of new amethysts for a new tiara to match...

It really is totally incomprehensible to all of us isn't it, that all these gems are sitting there unused! Do you think a petition might help...? Or as has been said, give 'em to Camilla, she's work those rocks!

I have to stop reading this site. All it does is make me want more jewelry! In my own humble fashion, of course...

Oh, that collier resille necklace! What a gorgeous thing. I think it would look lovely on Camilla. But perhaps it must wait for the bride of Wills...whoever she might be.

Oh yes, that's it the collier résille. I guess it is quite a tricky piece to wear, but it is so beautiful, it would have looked fabulous on Di (though she would probably have over-accessorised it I imagine).
I think it's funny that you imagine Diana "overaccesorising" it, when the original wearers are some of the most cluttered looking women I've ever seen! Can one wear too many jewels? Apparently not during the belle epoque. LOL.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone even knows where some of these old jewels are. Tiaras and what-have-you that haven't been seen for nearly a century...

...there is a story about Queen Elizabeth surprised to find that the base to the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" tiara still existed. And yet another about a young Queen Silvia of Sweden discovering (I believe) the cut steel tiara in an old cupboard at the palace. Incredible, yet perhaps more common than we know?

When "The Girls" was given to Elizabeth by her granny, it was displayed with the tiara and base seperated. I'm surprised that she didn't know the base existed--surely, pieces wouldn't be dismantled without her permission? Or, perhaps, those vaults are so vast that pieces go missing sometime?

Queen Alexandra's collier resille

Hello 2 all who share a love of these dazzling works of art - this is my first post - just wished 2 enquire if anyone has any information about Queen Alexandra's collier resille that was made by Cartier in 1904 - seems to have stopped being worn after Queen Mary's demise - i read somewhere that it was 1 of the great jewel creations of the Belle Epoch - shame if such a beautiful and grand jewel was broken up or lies unappreciated in storage. Dave.

I'm sorry, but I am not familar with this piece of jewelry. Is it the choker style necklace that has the 8 or 9 strands of pearls? Can someone post a picture?

it is a huge diamond necklace - both choker and bib - that appears twice in Leslie Field's the queens jewels - Queen Mary is wearing it for her official 80th birthday photo on page 45 and Queen Alexandra on page 64 - it is reminicent of Queen Victoria's diamond waterfall brooch - its like a huge beautiful diamond net!

This is the only image i can find and it is a painting
QAL.jpg

I always thought the necklace in the painting psted by ennuispleen was different from the photographs Andrew posted.

would be greatly appreciative if someone could post an image of the Queen wearing Alexandra's stomacher - its only recently started being worn by her i understand - can anyone tell me when she first started to wear it and how often it has been worn? thank u, Dave

I think if u read Suzy menkes' text the Royal jewels she uses this painting as 1 of her illustratioins of the collier resille and states that it was made up of indian jewels that were broken up - though where she got her info she does not say

Would also like to enquire about Mrs Grenville? who was she - obviously a close friend of the Queen mothers, and why would u leave jewellery 2 a family that already had so much? can anyone tell me the estent of her bequest?

and 1 more if i may - has anyone got an image of Di wearing here pearl necklace with the central huge sapphire - a brooch i believe that was a wedding present from the Queen mother - a Sri Lanken sapphire in diamond surround - does anyone know of the Queen mother wearing this brooch or its origins? A spectacular jewel - i suppose the necklace would be in storage for William or Harry

Mrs. Greville left her jewels to The Queen Mother because HM had relatively little to wear, mostly because she was not given a huge quantity of jewels upon her marriage to Prince Albert, who was never expected to become King, and the fact that most of the royal collection remained with Queen Mary until her death in 1953.

The Sri Lankan sapphire was never definitively identified, but there was speculation it may have been part of a collection of unset gems in the royal collection selected by The Queen Mother as a wedding gift to Diana. Indeed, the sapphire and diamond piece was covered in her divorce agreement as part of the jewels given to her by The Queen and/or Queen Mother that could never be sold or lent in her lifetime.

ennuispleen, if you look at the Diana jewellery threads, you will seeplenty of pictures of Diana in the sapphire choker- she used it quite a lot.

Welcome aboard!

It is my understanding that the Queen has only worn the stomacher once, which was on one of the events at Windsor celebrating her golden jubilee in 2002. I am sorry I am not very good with links to other posts, but again, you will find the pictures in HMs jewellery thread.

It is possible that the Collier Resille is made up of Indian stones. It is no secret that the British imperialists plundered Indian royal treasures considerably, so it is entirely plausible that that is where the diamonds fro the Collier were acquired.

The present Queen is very conscience of the history around some of these jewels, and I guess, is one of the reasons she is so restrained in their use. An example of this is that Camilla has only used the Delhi Durbar tiara once.

an image of the Queen wearing Alexandra's stomacher
You'll find a picture of HM wearing the stomacher in the first post of the Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras thread;
You'll find some information about Mrs Greville in the Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother thread and by typing 'Greville' into the search function;
As Muriel has advised, there are plenty of Diana images in the Diana, Princess of Wales jewellery threads, parts 1 and 2.

The Royal Jewels forum is fairly well organised so it is better to check the thread(s) relating to the person you are interested in and post questions in the relevant thread.

Last edited:
I've been trying to find photos of that amethyst parure for ages. Thanks guys! I think it ended up in the hands of the Queen Mother somehow and was eventually sold off. The Queen Mum wasn't to fond of amethyst from my understand. Which is a shame cause this parure would just be delicious on the Duchess of Cornwall!

Actually I have found these photos... if these jewels were sold, where did these come from? ;)
Where did the photos come from? PHOTOSHOP and quite likely from our own 'Photoshopping Tiaras' thread.

I must say, I knew our Photoshopping members were talented, but it seems that these photos are getting out and fooling a lot of people. Soon we'll see a photoshopped pic of Camilla wearing the Lover's Knot and WWIII will erupt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom