General questions and Forum issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm the type of person who always expects the worst.
So I've been wondering:

Where do we poor members go to get info, if the TRF for whatever reason goes down for several days, all of a sudden?
It happened to another forum I'm aware of and we unfortunate members felt orphaned, until some of us got together in a secondary forum. :sad:

So, are there plans to e-mail all the members from an outside server?

Are there other fora where we can go to get info?

Is there a reserve forum somewhere, where we can go?

This is just a stab in the dark but I imagine that any information would come across to us from TRF's Facebook page. Also, there's Twitter.

:previous: Good suggestion. :)

Any direct link?

Do any Apple Mac users/members who know how to use Macs know how to change an avatar and profile picture? I think there's been a technical issue with my avatar and I'd like to change it to the same picture but with my Mac, as I used my phone the last time.

Last edited:
Do any Apple Mac users/members who know how to use Macs know how to change an avatar and profile picture? I think there's been a technical issue with my avatar and I'd like to change it to the same picture but with my Mac, as I used my phone the last time.

Could I have some help, please? It would be very helpful to know.

It should be quite simple to change your picture and avatar - I use a Macbook Pro and first of all I normally drag a picture I want to use from my album to my desktop page ready to use.

So when you go into your profile control panel, you should see a list on the left hand side, click on "edit Profile picture", then "choose file" box, this should bring up any photos on your desktop, click which one you want and press "choose", then "save changes".

It should be more or less the same when changing your avatar. I hope this helps, let me know if not!

:previous: Thank you for your help Jack, and I apologise for being a little belated in my reply to you, I'd been meaning to answer when I first read your reply but for some reason forgot about it.

I will remember those steps for after I ask this question I didn't ask on my original post: how do you save a photo from Google Images into your album? On my old computer (a Dell) I would copy the image into word and save it into my pictures file from there but I haven't seen if that's an option on the Mac (I have downloaded Microsoft onto the Mac so have word, as I understand it originally only comes with Pages and Notes). I apologise again for asking another question, I've never worked properly with a Mac before. :)

(I've also just realised that this is my 5,000th post! :D)

Last edited:
:previous:

It's a pleasure, no problem at all! So, your photo album on a Mac should be one of the icons along the bottom of the page - it's a kind of multi-coloured flower looking icon. Simply google an image you like, put your curser over the image and press the hold down the touch pad - or if you are using a mouse click and hold down mouse to drag the image over the icon and let go - it should then automatically be saved in your album.

Let me know if this doesn't work and we'll find another way!

:flowers:

:previous: That worked (and was quite a simple, clear step to follow), thank you! My avatar looks larger now, I think I was right in thinking that it was a technical problem due to the device I changed it on.

Fyi

Last time I logged out of here the bottom of the screen ad was " hacker for hire. This is nuts. How does one get ad blocker on IPad or Kindle?

You can install a variety of ad blockers from Google. Depends on the level of block you want.

I just upgraded my iPhone. And, now, I keep having to log in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think it's about time there is a mayor overhaul of the smilies.

They are great tools and I use them a lot, but I'm reluctant to use smilies from outside sources, partly because it's more complicated, partly because the links often end up not working and partly to avoid viruses.

What I personally very much look for are smilies that describe all sorts of every-day situations and all sorts of characters.

I also notice that quite a few of the more "cute" or childish smilies if you like are rarely used. Like these :future::electric::dragon::dog::hamster::hellokitty::ladybug::panda::pawprint::pig::rainbow::unicorn::wizard::zen::polarbear::owl::duckie::butterfly::cat:

The royal smilies are fine.

The flags are also very useful and so are the smilies that represent special occasions.

What do our esteemed admin and mods say? :notworthy: ;)

ADDED:
I'd be happy to dig up examples of IMO useful smiles, If you can tell me where to post them for review.

Last edited:
Never used those smilies, but i think we should keep :hamster: for when discussions just go on and on and on..... :lol:

:previous: I thought that smile was for when I need to describe my life...:ermm:

:previous: I thought that smile was for when I need to describe my life...:ermm:

well, could be worse, could be:
:deadhorse:
(which, seriously, i don't think i'd ever dare to post in a thread, although occassionally i'd ne tempted to ;) )

But that :hamster: will show up some time, just waiting for the right thread ;)

:previous: That describes my wife's work. :D

The esteemed mods will aknowledge that the last update was a decade ago or so, so you may have a point. IIRC at the last change this was the maximum amount of smilies we could have. I will have a look at the software what the status is and how easy it is to replace them.

Last edited:
To our moderators and administrators:

:cheers:

There have been quite a few 522 errors for the past week or so, when hitting the TRF link.

Some other mods. had the same in the last week. It seems it happens periodically. I never had an issue with it (yet).

BTW, can you send some of the smilies by PM? I can test if it is actually possible to add them to the list.

:previous: Will do. You'll get them within a day or two.

----------------------------

Just testing. Don't worry the emoticons have been scanned for viruses.

5282.gif

1.gif

10.gif

5590.gif

4.gif

6368.gif

5254.gif

5201.gif

Last edited:
Right, Ive had a look at IMO useful smileys and I have concentrated on the smaller smileys as I believe they are the most useful on this forum.
And I wonder if others may have wishes or comments to those selected so far.

All of them are gifs and they can be found here: https://app.box.com/s/v959x2aadhxplfvanrectydd00i22tyz

They are all found on free sites and all have been scanned twice for viruses.

It's easier to simply download the folders and view the smileys in comfort when you wish.

Ooohhh, if we get the one with the baseballbats, i already know some situations to use it :lol:

I have not visited the site for over a year the reason is; my computer was hacked. My checking account and credit card was violated. (money stolen). My computer was so messed up that even Dell Co. could not gain access. I missed posting comments on the Royal Forum. I usually use the Public Library Computer occasionally.

Thanks button being used to harass

How do I disable the thanks button?

A poster is using it to harass me.

He is using both the PM and the thanks button.

Last edited:
How do I disable the thanks button?

A poster is using it to harass me.

He is using both the PM and the thanks button.

That's a disgusting use of that feature.

I don't think there is a way to disable the thanks button, but you should report the poster to the mods. You can flag the messages and thanks he's sending to you, and you can probably take a screenshot of the thanks that he's sent and send them to the mods.

What the poster is failing to realize is that he's giving you prestige on the forums by "thanking" you, although I doubt that's any consolation.

I think this incident that you've gone through Queen Camilla has served to show that even on our relatively sane and agreeable forum such as TRF is, there is the odd chance of being cyberbullied which I what I believe has happened to you. Saying something and reporting it to the moderators is definitely the way to go about resolving this problem.

Fortunately, I only had this happen to me once and wasn't sure if it was anything than someone disagreeing with me but as it ended up, the poster was banned not too long afterwards.

I'm so sorry you had to experience something like this. :hug:

Yes, report. I have sadly found people use PM's to send extremely rude messages that they know would get deleted by mods if they posted on the board. I put one poster on ignore because I got countless PMs to harass me and tell me I was too stupid to post here. Only experts should post on the forum, and I wasn't up to his standards.

Back
Top Bottom