Dutch State Visits: General Discussion, Suggestions, Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there any incoming state visits to the Netherlands for 2023

Is there any incoming state visits to the Netherlands for 2023

The only state visit that currently is included in the official agenda is an outgoing state visit to Slovakia in March - but I expect more will follow later in the year (their first major visit of the year is the Caribbean tour visiting all 6 islands that are part of the king of the Netherlands - as an introduction tour for the princess of Orange).

The only state visit that currently is included in the official agenda is an outgoing state visit to Slovakia in March - but I expect more will follow later in the year (their first major visit of the year is the Caribbean tour visiting all 6 islands that are part of the king of the Netherlands - as an introduction tour for the princess of Orange).

Is there a state visit to Spain planned?

I did mean, is there a visit from any Head of State to the Netherlands this year?

Is there a state visit to Spain planned?

Not publicly known at least - but as Felipe ascended the throne after Willem-Alexander, the more likely option would be for Spain to visit the Netherlands.

I did mean, is there a visit from any Head of State to the Netherlands this year?

That was indeed your original question. I answered that question by stating that the only state visit currently in the official agenda is an outgoing state visit, so, that implies that so far, there is no incoming state visit scheduled (otherwise the outgoing one wouldn't have been the only one).

However, as I also stated before, it is unlikely that this will be the only state visit this year; so, most likely we'll see more state visits being included later in time, including an incoming state visit. For reference, last year (2022) included two incoming state visits, however, most years it is only one.

This overview might help to get an idea of the Dutch customs in this regard (much more outgoing than incoming state visits so far - with a preference for European countries for outward; and non-European for incoming state visits):
Overview of incoming state visits
Overview of outward state visits

Last edited:
I am hoping Mr. and Mrs. Macron will come for a visit at one point. Even if it is an official visit. We seldom see a French president in The Netherlands these days. The last SV was by Jacques Chirac. Though Mitterand came in 1984 the last French SV before that was Coty in 1954. Of course I am well aware that the president of France will have many other priorities of course and as far as SV go a French return visit to King Charles III will be much more likely.

Last edited:
I am hoping Mr. and Mrs. Macron will come for a visit at one point. Even if it is an official visit. We seldom see a French president in The Netherlands these days. The last SV was by Jacques Chirac. Though Mitterand came in 1984 the last French SV before that was Coty in 1954. Of course I am well aware that the president of France will have many other priorities of course and as far as SV go a French return visit to King Charles III will be much more likely.

Your wish was granted. Yesterday it was announced that they will come on a state visit in April!

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actueel/nieuws/2023/01/30/staatsbezoek-president-frankrijk

How exiting! I am certainly looking forward to that.

A clash of personalities b/w queen Letizia & queen Maxima of the Netherlands according to a reliable Dutch source, personally I believe it. State visit to Belgium by the Dutch king & queen is according to plan for this year , state visit to Spain is not mentioned since 2013? I wonder why? As the new king of the Netherlands, king WA has already done most state visits to all royal kingdoms in Europe except Spain.

According to custom/tradition, the Spanish king and queen are supposed to make a state visit to the Netherlands first as Willem-Alexander is senior to Felipe in terms of (length of) reign - not the other way around. The Belgian king and queen already made that visit in 2016, so, the Dutch king and queen can now return that favor by going on a state visit to Belgium.

All other visited monarchs outrank(ed) king Willem-Alexander based on their ascension to the throne, so he was the one to visit them first:
- Queen Margrethe - Denmark (2015)
- Grandduke Henri - Luxembourg (2018)
- Queen Elizabeth - UK (2018)
- King Harald - Norway (2021)
- King Carl Gustaf - Sweden (2022)

The king and queen will bring a state visit to South Africa next month (18-20 October); visiting Pretoria and Kaapstad.

See royalblog (in Dutch). Hans Jacobs mentions that Willem-Alexander was a regular visitor to South Africa while still Prince of Orange. It will be their first state visit to an African country.

Will the King and Queen of the Netherlands make a state visit to Spain next year?

With the SV from Spain confirmed this year, King Willem Alexander has had a SV to/from every European monarchy with the exception of Lichtenstein and Monaco.

With the SV from Spain confirmed this year, King Willem Alexander has had a SV to/from every European monarchy with the exception of Lichtenstein and Monaco.

Has King Willem Alexander ever made a state visit to the Vatican or to Andorra?

Do Liechenstein and Monaco even have state visits?

Liechtenstein and Monaco do not receive state visits, as far as I know.

There has been a State Visit from Liechtenstein to Switzerland 2 years ago and there have also been State Visits to Austria. But that are exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom