The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester Current Events 1: October 2003-January 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely low key. The Gloucester girls haven't made that much news, and the family is pretty private.

I heard on another board a few days ago that the Chapel at Kensington Palace is quite small, therefore the number of guest invited would be limited. I'm sure that they would at least release a few photos, don't you? I'm curious to know what her fiancee looks like. Does anyone know what Davina does for a living? Does she work?

Davina's official wedding pictures will probably be released as her brother, The Earl of Ulster's, were when he married almost 2 years ago.

They probably didn't notice because she's rather far down on the sucession list, and technically isn't royal (no HH or HRH). None of the Glouchesters have recieved much press in the past few years.

I wish they had a better picture of him, I am absolutely dying to find out what he looks like! I wish that the Duke and Duchess of Glouschester would release even a few offical engagement pictures.

I don't think any photos were released when the Earl of Ulster got engaged, so I doubt we'll see any photos this time either. The Gloucesters seem to be very low-key members of the royal family by comparison with the likes of the Michaels of Kent.

I know, I know, I know. My curiosity is just getting the best of me, that's all. :p

Well, there'll probably be some pictures when the wedding happens, if you can wait that long! :)

Well, you know the saying curiosity killed the cat? That was invented because of me. :p

Nah, just kidding. I can wait, but I really would like to see a picture of this guy. I want to size him up. ;)

I think it's rather interesting that Davina was able to cover his rent and such.
What exactly does she do? I know the Kents aren't that wealthy, and I didn't realize the Glouchesters were better off.

Philadelphia Inquirer

Tue, Mar. 30, 2004

International House program brings royalty to Phila.

By Pauline Pinard Bogaert

His Royal Highness Prince Richard, the Duke of Gloucester, had a whirlwind tour of Philadelphia and the suburbs Friday and Saturday as Britain's official representative for Queen Elizabeth II, his first cousin.

The prince started off at Drexel University College of Medicine, meeting with 12 Simon Gratz High School students for a video conference with 16 high school students from Archbishop Michael Ramsey Technology College in London about remedies for school violence.

The project is part of the Jubilee International Education Initiative, founded by Oliver St. Clair Franklin, International House president and chief executive officer and honorary British consul in Philadelphia.

The local program is the only one in the country sanctioned by England's queen.

On Saturday night, the prince and 535 guests attended the 45th annual Global Gala, "Mosaic of the Commonwealth," chaired by Kamala and Rajiv Gupta and Elizabeth and Anthony Vale at International House, 3701 Chestnut St.

The dinner began with a 75-person VIP cocktail party. Prince Richard, arriving with Franklin, was introduced by International House board chair Osagie O. Imasogie, there with his wife, Losenge.

Greeting dinner guests were International House residents Muhammad Kamran, a Drexel University senior from Pakistan, and Mahamat Guedi, a La Salle University MBA student from Chad.

Each year, International House has 350 residents from the United States and 60 countries who attend more than 20 area schools and training programs. Its mission is to bring people from different cultures together as a community, and to learn about and from one another, promoting mutual tolerance and respect.

More than 300 years ago, Prince Richard joked in his opening remarks, "Britain normally had a good relationship with the U.S., but America went through a sticky patch, and I hope all is forgiven."

Both countries, he said, believe in freedom, liberty and justice for all, and are united in those ideals. He talked of the 49 members of the British Commonwealth - which includes, among others, Canada, India, Australia and African nations - joined in the promotion of democracy, human rights, and economic and social development.

Bruce Mainwaring, emeritus board trustee of International House, toasted the queen, and Sir Thomas Harris, British consul-general in New York, toasted the President. Barbara Masekela, South African ambassador to the United States, toasted the British Commonwealth.

Others from the diplomatic corps were counsellor of the India Embassy Venkabeswara Rao; consul-general of Panama and president of the Philadelphia Consular Corps, Georgia Athanasopulos; Nicaragua's honorary consul to Philadelphia, Alejandro Gallard Prio; and Jamaica's honorary consul to Philadelphia, Alston Meade.

Activities Friday included a First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry luncheon for 60 people and a reception at the Philadelphia Cathedral for about 100 people. The duke, who is an architect, was at dinner with 28 guests, among them the city's leading architects, at the University of Pennsylvania's library, which was designed by Frank Furness.

There was a luncheon Saturday for 30 at Eden Valley Farm, the Spring City home of Penny and John Hunt, and, before he left Sunday, the duke sat in the royal pew at Christ Church, the first time in the church's 409-year history that a member of the royal family has used it. With the prince were Harris and Mary Bessborough, Countess of Bessborough. About $137,000 was raised from these events for mission support.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Apr 4th, 2004 - 8:01 pm
I think it's rather interesting that Davina was able to cover his rent and such.
What exactly does she do? I know the Kents aren't that wealthy, and I didn't realize the Glouchesters were better off.
I'm not sure what Davina does; that newspaper article mentioned her working as a waitress, but that probably wasn't a career path or anything.

The Gloucesters are probably a lot better off than the Kents because the Duke of Kent died so young and his Civil List allowance would have been either stopped or drastically cut, whereas the Duke of Gloucester lived to old age. Then Princess Marina came from a rather impoverished (for royalty, at any rate) background whereas the old Duke of Gloucester's wife was a daughter of a very rich duke, which might have made a difference. Then after Prince William of Gloucester died without having a wife or children, the present duke was the only heir of his father, whereas the Kent inheritance had to split between three children (the duke, Prince Michael, and Priincess Alexandra).

I assume that caring for Princess Alice must be quite a financial drain, though. It sounds as though she's needed round-th-clock nursing care for a while and that's very costly. I know the Gloucesters moved into Kensington Palace full-time some years ago and rented out their country house, although I don't know if they did that to save money or because they preferred living in London.

I read that the rent she paid was $130 per month. Now I am no millionaire but even I could afford to pay that. If her man was stuggling to pay that then God knows what his finances are. Whether Davina works or not she is the daughter of wealthy parents and I am sure that her private income is greater than my meagre salary of £15,ooo per year.

The Duchess at the Chelsea Flower Show, May 24, 2004

Duchess

Did Davina not date Rupert Young ( brother of Britain's Pop Idol, Will Young) for a while or was that Rose?

Originally posted by Georgia@May 31st, 2004 - 1:33 pm
Did Davina not date Rupert Young ( brother of Britain's Pop Idol, Will Young) for a while or was that Rose?
Lady Davina dated Rupert Young.

Originally posted by Alexandria+Oct 27th, 2003 - 7:02 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Oct 27th, 2003 - 7:02 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Julia@Oct 27th, 2003 - 5:58 pm
Wonderful photos --  there is a darling picture of the duchess with her baby daughter (taken a few years ago) where she is holding a family tiara over the baby's head...quite cute.
Is this the photo you mean Julia? A very nice picture indeed! [/b][/quote]
That is the most wondeful photo! I love it!

The Duchess really is lovely isn't she? So youthful looking.

I have read that she is apparently a crashing snob. A former member of staff has said that on approaching the Duchess in a corridor of Kensington Palace she was instructed to put down the heavy pile of towels she was carrying in order to curtsy to her.

Originally posted by angela@Jun 12th, 2004 - 6:47 pm
I have read that she is apparently a crashing snob. A former member of staff has said that on approaching the Duchess in a corridor of Kensington Palace she was instructed to put down the heavy pile of towels she was carrying in order to curtsy to her.
That doesn't sound like something the Duchess of Gloucester would do, it sounds more like something Princess Michael of Kent would do (not that I dont like Princess Michael, it just seems that is more her personality). That is an interesting report though.

A.C.C. I understand perfectly where you are coming from as we are all inclined to form our opinions of people from media reports but I always take people as I find them and was pleasantly surprised on meeting Princess Michael seven years ago. My sister is a charitable volunteer and the Princess came to our town and presented her with an award. My family and I were very pensive, knowing her reputation, but were more thahn surprised when we met her. A more pleasant and funny individual you couldn't hope to meet. She didn't at all resemble the haughty character we are all familiar with in the papers so perhaps I am wrong in my criticisms of thre Duchess.

Originally posted by angela@Jun 12th, 2004 - 7:02 pm
A.C.C. I understand perfectly where you are coming from as we are all inclined to form our opinions of people from media reports but I always take people as I find them and was pleasantly surprised on meeting Princess Michael seven years ago. My sister is a charitable volunteer and the Princess came to our town and presented her with an award. My family and I were very pensive, knowing her reputation, but were more thahn surprised when we met her. A more pleasant and funny individual you couldn't hope to meet. She didn't at all resemble the haughty character we are all familiar with in the papers so perhaps I am wrong in my criticisms of thre Duchess.
Princess Michael is said to be extremely charming -- when she wants to be. That's not a criticism of her. Most people are like that.

Well yes we all put on a good face to strangers (except for Princess Margaret perhaps who was frequently horribly rude to people she met) thats just human nature but the Princess actually overran her schedule by quite a bit that day because she spent so much time with the volunteers. She didn't have to do that. I am not easily fooled by people but she showed genuine concern and was very courteous. It wasn't a major fuction, it was only the local paper which was there, so she had nothing to gain PR wise but she did very well and I have had a soft spot for her ever since.

I was recently told that if Edward VIII had not abdicated before marrying Mrs. Simpson, and if everything else happened as it did (Edward VIII didn't have issue, George VI died when he did, etc. ) the Duke of Gloucester would be King of England today. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,
Tatiana

No, this isn't true. The article may have been indicating that because The Duke of Gloucester had two sons then they would have superceded the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret. It dosn't work that way because even though son's take precedence in the british monarchy any female children born to an elder son ( in this case George VI) will still succeed over any male children of their father's younger brother ie the Duke of Gloucester. Does that make sense?

Originally posted by angela@Jun 13th, 2004 - 7:14 pm
No, this isn't true. The article may have been indicating that because The Duke of Gloucester had two sons then they would have superceded the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret. It dosn't work that way because even though son's take precedence in the british monarchy any female children born to an elder son ( in this case George VI) will still succeed over any male children of their father's younger brother ie the Duke of Gloucester. Does that make sense?
Hi Angela,

Thanks for answering. I think I understand, but if Edward VIII had become King , would he not have been suceeded by his younger brother the Duke of Gloucester (who outlived Edward by two years)? If that were the case, then Richard, Duke of Gloucester's father would have been King for two years and upon his death the crown would have passed to Richard, wouldn't it?

Tatiana

Hello Tatiana,

No, it dosn't matter that the Duke of Gloucester oulived Edward VIII because George VI had two daughters so they take precedece over the Duke of Gloucester and his sons.

The Duke of Gloucester was younger than the Duke of York, who became George VI when Edward VIII abdicated. If Edward VIII had become King and died in 1972 (his actual year of death) without having children, then the present Queen would have succeeded to the throne then.

The nearest that the old Duke of Gloucester was to the throne was when George VI became king and his daughters were both children. The Duke of Gloucester was Regent Designate for Princess Elizabeth until she became 18; in other words, if George VI had died before Princess Elizabeth turned 18, the Duke of Gloucester (not the Queen Mother) would have stood Regent for her. That position would have ceased on Elizabeth's 18th birthday.

In order for the Duke of Gloucester to become king, George VI and both his daughters would have had to predecease him without having children of their own.

There was a rumour at the time of the abdication that both the Duke of York and the Duke of Gloucester would be passed over in favour of the Duke of Kent as king, since he was the only one of the brothers at that time who had a son, but I don't think it was ever anything more than a rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom