The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Do you now understand why I avoid American news anchor discussions about the BRF like the proverbial plague? I remember when William was born, there was a highly regarded anchorwoman from a prestigious network who rolled her eyes and inquired why it was necessary to christen the child since he had already been named. I kid you not.

Just too embarrassing.

Curbside....excellent point about the expectation of immigrants to this country vs. what Meghan should do now that she is, for all intents and purposes, a British subject (if not in fact then in every other way that matters)
I usually avoid them. I can't exactly remember why I was even watching it. Another embarrassing thing that happened was the mispronunciation of Prince Louis name after he was born. The news anchors kept pronouncing his name with an s on the end instead of an e. You would think they would do their homework. This is why I watched the Royal Wedding on BBC America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I think the reason Meghan was waiving off the curtsies & bows is because it's finally sinking in: she is officially royalty. She wants to signal she really hasn't changed, but let's face it, there is a change. I am happy to see after all that vile mess that has been heaped on her some are willing to afford her the bow and curtsy out of respect. She'll still get the stick because that is standard for a royal but it was very nice to see.
I did not see her wave off bows and curtsies and I watched as much footage as I could find. Is there a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She walks very carefully...I noticed yesterday she puts one foot directly in front of the other..like on a beam. It's just something she picked up sometime when she was learning how to do things.

She does walk and stand with her shoulders pulled back. But we were all told that growing up..stand up straight, pull your shoulders back!

LaRae
My mother told me my whole life to "hold myself up"--southern for stand with your shoulders held back. I am still very conscious to do so. I absolutely love the way she carries herself. She is so elegant.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I predict that the citizenship issue will be discreetly sped up if and when the Duchess becomes pregnant.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I predict that the citizenship issue will be discreetly sped up if and when the Duchess becomes pregnant.
You don't think people would notice that she became a citizen?

I admit at first I was put off by her possibly renouncing her US citizenship to become a UK citizen. However, I don't think it would be a big deal at all. Even if she does renounce, she's still American, just as immigrants to the US don't stop being being what they were before they came here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I've written a long post about the basic issues relating to US tax in the Religion and Citizenship thread if anyone wants to revisit it.
I remember that! I need to go check that post out.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
You don't think people would notice that she became a citizen?

I admit at first I was put off by her possibly renouncing her US citizenship to become a UK citizen. However, I don't think it would be a big deal at all. Even if she does renounce, she's still American, just as immigrants to the US don't stop being being what they were before they came here.
I don't know if they'll notice, but they'll know when she renounces. I believe the names of those renouncing their citizenship is published. I don't think you can quietly speed it up. Either publicly state it by the government for the reason why. As unlikely as it is for Harry's children to come to the throne, they are still in the single digits. I don't know how the people would feel for them to be a US citizen until at least 18. My personal opinion is that it's better for the children to have another option as grown ups and private citizen, but it's not really up to me. Perhaps a Brit can give some perspective? There has already been some discussion about the downside of her not being granted citizenship upon marriage, but I imagine it'd ramp up when a pregnancy is announced.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It might get tricky though. What if Meghan for example receives royal jewels as loans, or even worse as gifts ? Would she have to declare it to the IRS ? Private information about the RF income and fortune may end up being disclosed to federal agencies in the US.
Look at the Meghan Markle Citizenship and Religious Conversion thread, post # 972 for a very interesting discussion from jacqui24 on these very topics.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Meghan Markle Makes Gold Sales Sparkle

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKCN1IQ0FU
Old 05-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Interesting. I didn't realize yellow gold wasn't already popular.

I keep seeing this being reported. Wonder if it's true: https://www.bustle.com/p/meghan-mark...d-trip-9185013
Old 05-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize yellow gold wasn't already popular.

I keep seeing this being reported. Wonder if it's true: https://www.bustle.com/p/meghan-mark...d-trip-9185013
White gold has been the most popular color for quite a while, although recently rose gold had a little moment in the sun, but yellow gold has had an uptick in popularity in the last year or so. I'm not sure Meghan has been leading the way, but it probably doesn't hurt.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Meghan's mother Doria back to LA

Meghan Markle's mother Doria takes her dog for a walk in L.A. | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder how Meghan and Kate address their senior in-laws in private?

For example does Meghan simply follow her husband's example and call the PoW "Pa"? What about the Queen and the DoE, when they are all in intimate family surroundings?

Curious.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Majesty

The Senior royals involved like Charles and Camilla probably say 'Please call me so and so' to the new married-ins, I would imagine. I except the Queen from this. IMO Meghan probably follows what Harry tells her to do in that case, unless the Queen expresses some preference.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Royal Highness

I didn't think Harry would address Charles as "Pa". It sounds so American.

And the paps need to leave Doria alone.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I agree and honestly I think he said 'papa'. That's what it looked like to me. If you say 'papa' quickly, it's easy to miss the first syllable and just see the lips word the last 'pa'.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

That surprised me as well. I remember as children he and William addressed their parents as "Papa" and "Mummy" which is of course very traditional British.

Oh well. At least Harry doesn't call him "Dad".

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

He said "Pa"

That is what he always calls him.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think he also addressed him as "Pa" in garden party tribute speech, no?

Old 05-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I think he also addressed him as "Pa" in garden party tribute speech, no?
In the official transcript it said he calls him "Pa". I guess Meghan calls Charles and Camilla, or the queen and Philip as she has been offered. IMHO the senior Royals discussed that question with Harry, he with Meghan, and they found a solution with which they are all comfortable.

I recall my mother who wanted her daughter- and son-in-law to call her Mama, but my sis-I-L decided on her first name while my husband took our sons's baby name for her and she okayed that but hated it that her daughter-in-law called her by her first name. She was very old-school and thought it disrespectful. So I could see the queen allowing Meghan to call her "Granny Lilibeth", but not Elizabeth or Lilibeth alone.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Doesn’t sound particularly American to me. Me, my friends and family say “Dad.”
Old 05-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
In the official transcript it said he calls him "Pa". I guess Meghan calls Charles and Camilla, or the queen and Philip as she has been offered. IMHO the senior Royals discussed that question with Harry, he with Meghan, and they found a solution with which they are all comfortable.

I recall my mother who wanted her daughter- and son-in-law to call her Mama, but my sis-I-L decided on her first name while my husband took our sons's baby name for her and she okayed that but hated it that her daughter-in-law called her by her first name. She was very old-school and thought it disrespectful. So I could see the queen allowing Meghan to call her "Granny Lilibeth", but not Elizabeth or Lilibeth alone.
I think, a lot of times, the married in spouse will start calling her in-laws as his/her spouse does. Meghan most likely follows Harry's lead and calls Charles "Pa" as Harry does and "Granny" for the Queen when they are in private situations. Its something we'll never know though. We only know what Harry goes with as he's stated it in public. I imagine that Meghan, referring to these people in public would use "the Queen" and "the Prince of Wales".

I think its rather likely too that William and Kate, because of the kids, in private would refer to the Queen as "Gan-Gan". One kid starts it and the rest of the family follows suit. When my little brother was small, he referred to his grandparents as "Mimi" and "Pippi" (don't ask me where that came from as I don't know) but the rest of us picked it up while the majority of family called them "Mum" and "Grandpa".
Old 05-26-2018, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The Senior royals involved like Charles and Camilla probably say 'Please call me so and so' to the new married-ins, I would imagine. I except the Queen from this. IMO Meghan probably follows what Harry tells her to do in that case, unless the Queen expresses some preference.
I read somewhere that the Queen's grandchildren call her "Granny". Is that true?

Closed Thread