Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You only have to go to the websites for the trade publications for acting (for example, Variety, Deadline, etc.) during the nominating process to see there are several shows being advertised for your consideration. It also happens during the nomination period for the Academy Awards, the Screen Actors Guild, etc. It happens all the time. At present, there is no such advertisement but I have definitely seen it in the past. That is the job of the PR department...to promote the show, its actors, directors, costume designers, etc.

Because of the change in Meghan's status...its new for some folks. Not for others. Its also worth noting that there are several hundreds/thousands ads for your consideration but traditionally there are only FIVE nominees for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. So the changes of Meghan actually getting nominated and winning are pretty slim. Previous winners have been Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad) and Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey).

Much ado about nothing.

Although chances are rather slim, wouldn’t be amazing if Meghan even got an Emmy nod? Meghan would probably jump out of of KP’s windows with excitement. Winning is a whole different thing, but the nod, my God..

I haven't seen the most recent season of Suits but I am thinking her chances of getting a nomination are very slim. Meghan is a decent actress but a NOT strong enough actress IMO if you are basing if you look at the last two years of nominees:

2016:

Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)
Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones
Lena Headley (Game of Thrones)
Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones)
Maura Tierney (The Affair)
Constance Zimmer (UnReal)

Ann Dowd (The Handmaid's Tale)
Uzo Abuda (Orange is the New Black)
Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things)
Chrissy Metz (This is Us)
Thandie Newton (Westworld)
Samira WIley (The Handmaid's Tale)

But hey...stranger things have happened.

Although chances are rather slim, wouldn’t be amazing if Meghan even got an Emmy nod? Meghan would probably jump out of of KP’s windows with excitement. Winning is a whole different thing, but the nod, my God..

I mean... I guess, She literally did nothing this season. I doubt she would even submit herself and clearly her show did it for her. I love me some Rachel Zane but I think she had better shots prior to season 7 when she actually had real material. This season was clearly a case of "I am under contract so I am just here to not be fined."

I mean... I guess, She literally did nothing this season. I doubt she would even submit herself and clearly her show did it for her. I love me some Rachel Zane but I think she had better shots prior to season 7 when she actually had real material. This season was clearly a case of "I am under contract so I am just here to not be fined."

Just being put in the bid for the nom is an honor.

Usually those nominated have major storyline. MM did not have much story. It should be stated that the NETWORK submitted the consideration which is something they do every year. This is a clickbait non story which seems to be the norm regarding stories about Meghan.

Yes, it’s a slim chance of her and many other actors on winning an Emmy. She might not be able to go to the awards ceremony (if she won) due to work commitments.

No one is trying to boost ratings by using Meghan and her royal connections. There’s a great deal of shows and actors that’s being considered for Emmy consideration for the first time, including the Show and cast of Shameless.

Meghan isn’t being used here.

Ratings or not, the Emmy's are'nt the same as some Soap opera award. The only thing they will do for ratings is have a major star host the show or add major stars on as presenters. It's not some tacky awards show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just being put in the bid for the nom is an honor.

You can submit for an Emmy right now if you have a reel. Yes being nominated is an honor but she is not nominated. She was submitted for consideration. There is a major difference in this. There are thousands of people doing this.

I mean what scenes they would they even submit?

Yea, not her best season. It was pretty much like everyone guessed she won't be back for another season, and perhaps the writers and producers felt their hands were a little tied together given her relationship off screen and what will be deemed "appropriate" by royal watchers and media.

I'm echoing the thoughts, that it's not a big deal, that her name is thrown out there for consideration. It's a bit like soap actors put their names into the nomination ballot, from where their peers (other actors) vote for pre-nomination candidates. From this *I think* TPBP pick the nominations, and then the selected judges pick a winner.

Meghan most likely didn't throw her name out there, but if she did actually get nominated, I'd love for her to be able to attend the ceremony. I don't know how realistic that possibility is, but I'd still love the idea.

You can submit for an Emmy right now if you have a reel. Yes being nominated is an honor but she is not nominated. She was submitted for consideration. There is a major difference in this. There are thousands of people doing this.

Yes, I know this. They could submit scenes from past seasons.

I’m just stating that if she was given the nod, that would’ve been an honor all on its own. One don’t have to win it. It’s nice when your peers help honor your past work, whether one win or not.

Being an A-List actor or B-List actor means nothing to those who just love the work, telling stories, exploring characters and working with great people. Meghan was on the Suits series for seven seasons. That’s quite an accomplishment.

You can't submit from past seasons. It is current season. There is a very specific time period in which things can be used. That said, I agree it is an honor to be nominated -- if that is to happen but the likelihood of that is slim to none. It has nothing to do with A or Z list. People from all levels have been nominated and have even won.

One thing that would be neat though if Meghan was to score an Emmy. Then it could be said that it runs in the family. Like father, like daughter kind of thing. :D

One thing that would be neat though if Meghan was to score an Emmy. Then it could be said that it runs in the family. Like father, like daughter kind of thing. :D

Yeah, that nod and win would be amazing. I know she’s must be very proud of her father and I know he’s proud of her.

All these publications running pieces saying Meghan Markle could get an Emmy nom for Suits overlook the fact that voting body that REALLY loves to give ridiculous nominations to super famous people as a way to get them to show up is HFPA. -J

All these publications running pieces saying Meghan Markle could get an Emmy nom for Suits overlook the fact that voting body that REALLY loves to give ridiculous nominations to super famous people as a way to get them to show up is HFPA. -J

Don’t focus on the shallow stuff. Focus on the fact that Meghan worked hard for seven seasons on Suits. She’s was an emerging star before Harry. The man married an accomplished woman in her own right.

I like Suits, I liked Meghan in Suits--but I agree she is unlikely to get a nomination.

Also in Hollywood the act of submitting someone for consideration for an award is a show of respect even if they are a longshot for the award. Usually the show will take out an ad in Variety saying For Your Consideration: its mainly a show of respect by your colleagues or the production company in the industry.

Don’t focus on the shallow stuff. Focus on the fact that Meghan worked hard for seven seasons on Suits. She’s was an emerging star before Harry. The man married an accomplished woman in her own right.
The Hollywood Foreign Press are not the same as the Emmy's. The Emmy's don't just do silly nominations like they do at the Golden Globes.

I imagine USA network has submitted their show/actors every year and hasn’t been nominated yet (to my knowledge), so I’m not sure it will be different this time. Plus, the nominees and winners are chosen by their peers (so in Meghan’s case that would be other actors) and with all the great performances that came out during the year, I don’t see any of them choosing Meghan.

Yep. This is literally a non-story.

USA[the network] "has always submitted the entire main cast of “Suits” and did so again this year". If anything excluding Meghan would have sent the wrong message - as if they didn't appreciate her work on Season 7.

Meghan has been submitted for consideration 6 times now.

This has really nothing to do with her royal status.

No one on the show has been nominated ever before, nor will anyone be now. This is all media politics and USA just doesn't have the kind of power to really get in there. And certainly not with an actress who was very obviously slowly phased out and was barely featured in her last season.

__

Let's all calm down a bit. ;)

Last edited:

Likely either the "Rachel takes over the associates from Louis" or "Rachel works with her father to take on the man who destroyed her aunt's life" storylines.

Discussion of Thomas Markle Sr’s absence from Wedding has been deleted as off topic.

Folks, no one is going to stop Meghan from accepting an award for her work on Suits. The royal family receive awards all the time. The Queen just got a BAFTA not that long ago.

If the Queen received a BAFTA, it must have been for a documentary or either an honorary award. ? She surely did not pick up the award herself.

I truly have to agree with those who point out that it's the normal task of any television show to promote their stars for awards. Meghan's name has probably been previously submitted for consideration (and she's never been nominated over the course of the series). If she were nominated for her work in season 7, I might have to roll my eyes. It would definitely have something to do with her newfound higher profile fame as a royal.

This news may or may not have been linked earlier. It's a fairly recent report quoting British government sources and American sources, re the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are in the early stages of planning an eventual trip to L.A. mainly focused on advancing charitable causes related to the needy and to the LGBT community:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-harry-meghan-planning-los-12637501

:previous: Something about the above doesn't sound right. :ermm: What are foreign royals doing in another country (not a Commonwealth country and without an invitation by the relevant government) doing 'good works'? Strange.

P.S. BTW I wasn't able to read the article, seems to be behind a paywall?

:previous: Something about the above doesn't sound right. :ermm: What are foreign royals doing in another country (not a Commonwealth country and without an invitation by the relevant government) doing 'good works'? Strange.

P.S. BTW I wasn't able to read the article, seems to be behind a paywall?

Royals make visits to foreign countries. Nothing new there. They don't have to be invited to the country. Its simply considered a 'private trip' and not a royal tour, if they aren't there on official business.

No different then when Harry was in Africa volunteering with rhinos. Or many trips made by Charles, William and other royals.

Like any law abiding citizen, they are allowed to visit other countries.

As I don't speak Portuguese: Can someone tell me what the Duke of Braganca had to say?

https://www.facebook.com/domduarte/...49022106330/10155263373121331/?type=3&theater

Translation:
On May 25th, Flash magazine published an article entitled: "Without potatoes in the tongue, Duarte criticizes Meghan:" It must be difficult to see the woman in bed with another. " This article was based on an interview granted by the Duke of Bragança to the Observer online newspaper, but with phrases truncated and withdrawn from its context, with the aim of passing an image of intolerance and retrograde.

That article is based on a title which associates an answer given to a question that had nothing to do with Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex. From this truncated title, Flash magazine uses a series of decontextualized sentences from the interview with the aim of passing a distorted image of the Duke of Bragança.

This situation can be easily verified by carefully reading the interview with the Observer (https://observador.pt/especiais/e-d...a-ter-an-nora-de-hollywood-absolutamente-nao/).

Throughout the interview, the Duke of Bragança argues that today the fundamental value is democracy and that throughout Europe royal marriages demonstrate this reality of our day.

The content of the news is regretted, which is sensationalist and that makes a truncation of phrases of said interview to the Observer in a totally irresponsible way, manifesting deliberate intention to undermine the good name of the Duke of Bragança.

During her television interview after her engagement to Harry was announced, Meghan Markle insisted she ‘didn’t know much’ about the Prince before meeting him on a blind date.

The American former actress did, however, have a long-standing interest in becoming famous in this country.

Indeed, word reaches me that Meghan was so keen she even consulted the notorious ‘kiss-and-tell’ publicist Max Clifford.

‘Meghan spoke to Max when she was looking for British representation,’ claims one of Clifford’s friends.

Another source close to the spin doctor alleges: ‘She considered Max while weighing up who was best placed to make her a star in the UK.’

A Kensington Palace source is, understandably, eager to play down the claims, insisting: ‘This is not true.’
Read more: Did Meghan Markle ask sleazy Max Clifford to make her a star? | Daily Mail Online

Well, according to ET they did! Actually I can imagine them doing that, rather than relaxing in say a Canadian lodge, stunning though that location is. Harry loves Africa so much and I think Meghan may feel that way too.

I could see them going to Kenya and then to the Seychelles or another island in East Africa. Canada just seemed like a plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom