Royals Visiting The Pope

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how sad for this to happen precisely to fabiola, who had problems getting pregnant. i guess it would be bad for any royal family to have the secret get out before they want to publish it, let alone to get such speculation going on when you are having difficulties conceiving.

Episcopal Great ,
When she is the only one in white was for the Beatfication of the Last Emperor Karl of Austria in Rome. Pope jean Paul II wanted it, he was Born Carol W because his Father served in the Austrian - Hongarian Armees.

how sad for this to happen precisely to fabiola, who had problems getting pregnant. i guess it would be bad for any royal family to have the secret get out before they want to publish it, let alone to get such speculation going on when you are having difficulties conceiving.

Just as a friendly fyi...
Fabiola didn't have trouble conceiving. She had trouble carrying to term but apparently there were different problems with the various pregnancies - that according to Fabiola when she spoke about it in like 2008. That was almost worse I think because there were five hopeful beginnings only to be dashed. When I see that video my heart is just so sad for them - Baudouin looks so darn happy. :sad:

I think I may have missed a couple of pics of Baudouin and Fabiola with John Paul II. JPII was very pleased I believe with Baudouin's strong stand against Belgium's abortion liberalization law when he was found unable to reign or "resigned" for a day.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Lord or Lady Nicholas Windsor have met the Pope; I know they have both had engagements at the Vatican from time to time.

There's a pic of them meeting Pope Benedict if you google it

In the 1900s who was the first Royal to visit the Pope? From what country was this Royal from?

King Vittorio Emanuele III of Italy and his wife paid homage to His Holiness Pope Pius XI in 1929.

Emperor Wilhelm II and Empress Augusta Victoria of Germany being received by Pope Leo XIII in the Vatican in 1893.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/931965016

Last edited by a moderator:
Why must you wear black when visiting the Pope? What is the significance of that?

In the Roman Catholic tradition, black garments signify both virtues of piety and humility. Protocol for papal audiences required that women wear a long black dress with a high collar and long sleeves, and a black mantilla.

:previous: Does the Catholic have to wear long dress length? As I see most of the Roman Catholic royal ladies (with or without privilege of white) wear knee length dresses (e.g. Mathilde, Letizia, Charlene and the Lux ladies), while some Protestant ladies wear long dress (e.g. Silvia). I assume the non Catholic isn't subject to the protocol (Margrethe even wore grey IIRC?) but it seems that the protocol is quite flexible for the Catholic too?.

:previous: Does the Catholic have to wear long dress length? As I see most of the Roman Catholic royal ladies (with or without privilege of white) wear knee length dresses (e.g. Mathilde, Letizia, Charlene and the Lux ladies), while some Protestant ladies wear long dress (e.g. Silvia). I assume the non Catholic isn't subject to the protocol (Margrethe even wore grey IIRC?) but it seems that the protocol is quite flexible for the Catholic too?.

The dresscode has been pretty much abandoned since Bergoglio became Pope.

The dresscode has been pretty much abandoned since Bergoglio became Pope.

I am sure that it is considered good manners to wear formal dresses of at least knee length and probably a "dull" colour, rather than anything brighter.....

Only under the current pontiff has protocol become more relaxed for Catholics.

It's hugely ironic-to me at least-that non Catholics continue to appear with dignity and dressed appropriately in the presence of the Successor to St Peter, and (some) Catholics are content to appear dressed and behaved as if it's just another lunch with the CEO...of course with Pope Bergoglio's approval.

Not a fan, as you have probably guessed.:cool:

Only under the current pontiff has protocol become more relaxed for Catholics.

It's hugely ironic-to me at least-that non Catholics continue to appear with dignity and dressed appropriately in the presence of the Successor to St Peter, and (some) Catholics are content to appear dressed and behaved as if it's just another lunch with the CEO...of course with Pope Bergoglio's approval.

Not a fan, as you have probably guessed.:cool:

Me either. Not a fan at all.

LaRae

Wonderful picture of the Crown Princes of Denmark. You may be proud of them.

Protestant Kings & Queens (monarch & consort) = black
Catholic Kings & Queens (monarch & consort) = white
Others than Kings & Queens = black

That's the way I've understood it.

I've often wondered how the whole thing worked with Protestant monarchs meeting the Pope.

When Royals visit the Pope, is there a registration book they have to sign prior to the visit?

I came across this video of the first official visit of newly-crowned King Felipe VI of Spain and his spouse to the Vatican. Queen Letizia wore white. However, why did she not wear a hat or veil?

I came across this video of the first official visit of newly-crowned King Felipe VI of Spain and his spouse to the Vatican. Queen Letizia wore white. However, why did she not wear a hat or veil?

The dress code was business suit. You can see that with the Pope, wearing his usual white soutane. The previous Pope had a stricter protocol which meant he wore choir dress with a red or white mozetta (depending on the liturgical season and the temperature).

The Pope wearing choir dress and a red summer mozzetta welcoming Queen Elizabeth II
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/galleries/517x/74653.jpg

The Pope wearing choir dress and a red winter mozzetta welcoming the Prime Minister of Hungary
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._Poland_3.jpg/340px-Benedict_XVI_Poland_3.jpg

The Pope wearing choir dress and a white winter mozzetta for a welcoming of a visiting head of state
https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/im.../750/Papa-Benedetto-XVI-Filename-NR-00320.jpg

This Pope is more of the school: No fuss, please.

The Dutch royal couple made a State Visit, but the Pope did stick to his daily white soutane and so the Dutch royal couple wore no gala either:
https://images4.persgroep.net/rcs/k...=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&quality=0.7

Under Benedictus XVI we certainly would have seen Letizia, Mathilde and Máxima in gala, with Orders and grand jewels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom