What Languages Do The Royals Speak?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Sofia also speaks italian and i read somewhere that she can also speaks portuguese but I'm not sure :confused: because in Azores the Queen spoke to the journalists in Spanish... but King Juan Carlos speaks perfectly Portuguese.

Other royals

HM King Mihaï I of Romania speaks Romanian, English and maybe Greek (her mother was a Greek Princess).

HM Queen Anna of Romania speaks English, French (she was born in Paris), probably Danish (her mother was a Danish Princess), maybe some Italian (as she was born a member of the Italian Ducal Family of Parma) and Romanian.

HRH the late Grand Duchess Jospehiné-Charlotte speaked French, English with a lot of accent, maybe Swedish (her mother a Swedish Princess), maybe some Danish (she had much contact to her maternal grandmother, a Danish Princess) and probably German (her paternal grandmother was a Bavarian Princess). Of course Luxembourgish.

HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark speaks a very good English and maybe French (his father, a French nobleman).

HRH Prince Henrik of Denmark speaks Danish, French and English with some accent.

HM King Simeon II of The Bulgarians speaks Bulgarian, Italian (her mother was an Italian Princess), French, English, Spanish (his wife is a Spanish noble and they lived for many time in Spain), German, Portuguese (her mother lived so many years in Portugal) and Arabic.

HIRH Archduke Otto of Austria speaks German, Italian (her mother was a Princess of Parma), Hungaria, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, and Latin.

Video

zarzuela said:
Here's an extract of Queen Sofia's closing speech in Singapore in English, German, Greek, French and Spanish.

Finally, I wish to express my warmest regards and to thank you from the bottom of my heart for considering our Bid. We look forward to seeing you in Madrid.

Zuletzt möchte Ich Ihnen noch meine herzlichsten Grüsse übermitteln, und mich bei Ihnen sehr herzlich bedanken. Wir erwarten Sie in Madrid!

TELEIWNONTAS QA HQELA NA SAS DIABIBASW TOUS FILIKOUS MOU CAIRETISMOUS KAI NA SAS EUCARISTHSW EK BAQOUS KARDIAS GIA OLA. SAS PERIMENOUME STH MADRITH.

Finalement, avec mes meilleurs vœux, je vous remercie de votre attention. Nous vous attendons à Madrid.

Quiero, finalmente, transmitiros un saludo muy afectuoso y daros las gracias de todo corazón. Os esperamos en Madrid.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=166190

Could you provide some video for us to watch and listen this speech of HM The Queen of Spain? Or any video to watch and listen the voice and the way the Queen speaks?

Thanks.

TatoïPalace said:
HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark speaks a very good English and maybe French (his father, a French nobleman).

HRH Prince Henrik of Denmark speaks Danish, French and English with some accent.

Yes, Joachim speaks French.
Henrik also speaks Danish with an accent.:D He also speaks Vietnamese.

I have read here on this board that Princess Märtha Louise speak fluent dutch..

Last edited:
LaMinka said:
I have read here on this board that Princess Märtha Louise speak fluent dutch..
She used to live in Holland, right? When she was involved in some sort of horse jumping or something like that I think.

King abdullah of jordan speaks fluent english (his british mother) and also french .....he is not fluent in arabic..his wife Queen Rania speaks arabic and english ...not fluent in french...

Yennie said:
She used to live in Holland, right? When she was involved in some sort of horse jumping or something like that I think.

Yes and she practiced physiotherapy. I know she also learnt sign language.

well, my compliments for the princess as dutch is a difficult language to master (look at the belgian royals!). Five foreign friends who are living/working in Amsterdam are learning it now and they all say it is so difficult, especially the 'g'-sounds (however, according to a -dutch- 19th century author it was the language spoken in paradise ;) ). But I am really impressed that Martha-Louise mastered it, she can practise on Laurentien, who is the godmother of her Leah-Isodora.

Queen Beatrix speaks dutch, english, french, german and italian (and according to pollyemma also a bit of dansish... she stayed at the danish court in the 70-ties for a while, in order to see how she could reorganise her own court when she became queen, so meaybe she picked some things up).

The Prince of Orange speaks dutch, english, german, spanish and probably a bit of french.
Princess Maxima speaks spanish, english and dutch (maybe more)

Amira said:
As far as i know King Mohamed VI speaks Arabic, French, English and Spanish

Don't forget to include Tamazight:)

hillary_nugent said:
Prince Albert of Monaco speaks English fluently and with an American accent ^___^
He also speaks Frnech too.

You may have a point there. Castellano: Iberian Spanish, Italiano, Putugues: Portuguese have many simiilarities it is easy to swich from speaking one to the other. However, one must be aware of the vowel and a consonant changes. from one form of the language to another in order to not cause offence when speaking.

For Instance, I speak Puertoriqueno: Ancient Castellano mixed with Native American Languages: Taina and Tejano. As there is a latinate componant within the language, I can identify the similarities and change pronounciation and paraphrase sentences. then apply such to speah when speaking the following when I hear, Modern Castellano, Iberian Portuguese, Latin-American Portuguese, African-Spanish: Castellano mixed with indigeounous African Languages.:)

zarzuela said:
True, he does speak Catalan. He usually includes a few phrases in Catalan when he gives speeches in Catalonia. You can see this at the Spanish oyal Household website. I've noticed that some of his speeches given in Portugal include phrases in Portuguese so I am wondering if he can actually speaks that language... perhaps he can.

HRH Princess Haya Al-Muhammad (Haya of Jordan) speaks: Castellano, Franch, English, Al-Fus-ha' (Modern Standard Arabic) Al-Ameeya' (Colloquial form of Arabic within the Gulf) Italian, British Sighn Language, Arabic Sign Language, Protuguese. Mabruk Amira Haya!:) : Congratulations Princess Haya!:)

Princess Noor Al-Hamzah speaks, Farsi, Modern Standard Arabic, Al-Ameeya, Spanish, English and possibly Turkish.

Queen Noor Al-Hussein speaks English, French and Arabic fleuntly.

The Duke of Edinburgh also speaks Greek. His mother tongue.

The late Tzar Nichoaiovich Alexandrovich Romanov II of Russia (Nicholas II) spoke, Russian, English, German, Polish and French.

Crown Prince Billah of Brunei speaks English, Brunei Malay and Arabic. His Wife Crown Princess Sarah Al-Billah speaks Brunei Malay, Arabic, English and Swiss.

The King of Ghana speaks: Ga, Chree, French and English

Roshanah said:
Don't forget to include Tamazight:)

King Mohamed VI doesn't speak Tamazight ( berber language) ...

Last edited:
Hi Amira!:) He doesn't...that's odd but he grew up in Morocco didn't he. As MSA couldn't be used in the street. Didn't he grow up speaking any form of Berber?:Tarifit, Tashelhiyt?

The reason I ask is because, from what I understood King Muhammad VI is half Berber and naturally thought that he would have had to have spoken a form of Berber.

Maybe you could shed some light upon this subject? Thanks in advance:)

Amira said:
King Mohamed VI doesn't speak Tamazight ( berber language) ...

Marengo said:
Queen Beatrix speaks dutch, english, french, german and italian (and according to pollyemma also a bit of dansish... she stayed at the danish court in the 70-ties for a while, in order to see how she could reorganise her own court when she became queen, so meaybe she picked some things up).

Where did you hear this? I've never heard of (then) Crown Princess Beatrix going to Queen Margrethe's court for any period of time.

Roshanah said:
Crown Prince Billah of Brunei speaks English, Brunei Malay and Arabic. His Wife Crown Princess Sarah Al-Billah speaks Brunei Malay, Arabic, English and Swiss.
Which one of switzerland language she speaks French one or german one?

Queen Paola of Belgium fluently speaks French,Italian,English,and German. Her Flemish Dutch is very weak though.

I am quite surprised that the Spanish royals are apparently fluent in English. I travelled around Spain for two weeks and my experience tells me that English is not very widely spoken in Spain, not even in tourist areas.

Or may be they just get very fed up with tourists trying to speak English to them so they pretend they don't understand! LOL!

melissajames said:
I am quite surprised that the Spanish royals are apparently fluent in English. I travelled around Spain for two weeks and my experience tells me that English is not very widely spoken in Spain, not even in tourist areas.

Or may be they just get very fed up with tourists trying to speak English to them so they pretend they don't understand! LOL!

The Queen Sofia speaks in English with her children from children, they are totally bilingual from the infancy.

Roshanah said:
The Duke of Edinburgh also speaks Greek. His mother tongue.

Are you sure??? Interesting!! Greek is nor really his mother tongue!
His mother was not Greek, she was British, Princess Alice von Battenberg (late Earl's Mountbatten sister).
His father was Greek, Prince Andrew of Greece & Denmark, son of First King of Greece George I (royal family coming from Denmark). Just fot the story, Prince Philip is first cousin with the author Michel de Grece, King George I of Greece was their grandfather.
Prince Philip was born in Greece, but when he was a baby, the Royal family was chassed from Greece. Prince Philip has been raised in Paris-St Cloud and after in UK by his maternal grandmother. He was also very close to his uncle Earl of Mountbatten (the Battenberg changed their name to be Mountbatten during the 1st WW to sound less German. He never returned back in Greece.
Prince Philip lost his father when he was abt 21.
He may speek Greek because he comes very often in Mont Athos, but I thanks he never came everywhere else in Greece.
If you know for sure some more information about his greek speaking skills, please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited:
lula said:
The Queen Sofia speaks in English with her children from children, they are totally bilingual from the infancy.
Yes, and besides that, both Prince Felipe and Infanta Cristina took their Masters in the USA (she was in New York University and he went to Washington's Georgetown University).

Back
Top Bottom