Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The emeralds has been worn at the three latest British coronations so it'd be a shame to break that tradition.

Somehow i guess it is unlikly that they will be worn at a fourth coronation.
Even if Queen Sonja would offer them to MM i can see her choosing some different. Perhaps Queen Maud's diamond tiara or the pearl tiara in the full setting

The thing is Mette-Marit has avoided big head pieces (both tiaras and hats) due to her health problem (IIRC it's chronic headache/back or neck issue). I've prepared myself to see her in her daisy bandeau or the amethyst tiara, if we're lucky we might see the smaller setting of Maud's pearl tiara or the Vifte, but as much as I want to see it, I really don't think she'll wear any larger pieces like Maud's diamond tiara or Josephine's emerald tiara. (Personally I really hope she would continue the tradition though.)

The thing is Mette-Marit has avoided big head pieces (both tiaras and hats) due to her health problem (IIRC it's chronic headache/back or neck issue). I've prepared myself to see her in her daisy bandeau or the amethyst tiara, if we're lucky we might see the smaller setting of Maud's pearl tiara or the Vifte, but as much as I want to see it, I really don't think she'll wear any larger pieces like Maud's diamond tiara or Josephine's emerald tiara. (Personally I really hope she would continue the tradition though.)

I suspect we’re going to witness again that picture of Marie-Chantal in her humongous Queen Sophie’s Diamond Tiara talking to Mette-Marit in her almost-invisible diamond headband. So unfair.

She had "headache / back issues" like 15 years ago, not now. The ONLY reason she does not wear any big tiaras is she does not have access to them, yet. The big tiaras are reserved for Queen Sonja. The other ones have been on lifetime loans to Astrid / Ragnhild. Erling Lorentzen passed away in 2021, so the diamond tiara was not available for Mette-Marit before. In August it is 30 years since it was used, and I'll bet we will see it reappear this year for the joint 50th gala in Norway. So I hope to see her loan the emerald tiara for the coronation or surprise us with the diamond tiara.

Last edited:
She had "headache / back issues" like 15 years ago, not now. The ONLY reason she does not wear any big tiaras is she does not have access to them, yet. The big tiaras are reserved for Queen Sonja. The other ones have been on lifetime loans to Astrid / Ragnhild. Erling Lorentzen passed away in 2021, so the diamond tiara was not available for Mette-Marit before. In August it is 30 years since it was used, and I'll bet we will see it reappear this year for the joint 50th gala in Norway. So I hope to see her loan the emerald tiara for the coronation or surprise us with the diamond tiara.

So you think the Jewels given to Princess Ragnhild as lifetime loans where only given back after the death of Erling Lorentzen and not earlier?

So you think the Jewels given to Princess Ragnhild as lifetime loans where only given back after the death of Erling Lorentzen and not earlier?

He retained the "ownership" of the jewels untill his death. But most of her "lifetime loan" jewels were stored at the palace always for security matters. But this is another topic than the coronation. I just wanted to say the Crown Princess do not have access to bigger jewels, and therefore don't wear them. As in Sweden, the most important tiaras are for the Queen / first lady. But it would be nice to follow up the tradition for the coronation with wearing the emerald tiara and parure.

At the moment it looks like monarchs are invited too, but I don't think we will see King Harald and Queen Sonja it seems to be likely CP Haakon and CP Mette Martit will attend, it would be a good opportunity to loan the Empress Josephine Emerald or Queen Josephine´s Diamond Tiara. If reigning monarchs actually attend the coronation it seems to be likely King Felipe and Queen Letizia attend. Queen Letizia and the Fleur de Lys a safe bet. Queen Mathilde and 9 provinces Tiara also pretty sure. Maxima could wear the full setting of the Stuart again or the Sapphire Tiara. I hope Queen Margrethe will be able to attend the Coronation If not, we may see CP Mary with Ruby Parure but I hope Queen Margrethe will loan her the Pearl Poire- i know very unlikely.

It will be very interesting to see the Royal Guest list and details over the coming months!

GREAT BRITAIN
HM The Queen - State Diadem, Coronation Necklace & Earrings
Princess Royal - Girls of Great Britain Tiara
Princess of Wales - Vladimir Tiara with Pearls, Queen Alexandra's Wedding Necklace & Earings
Countess of Wessex (hopefully Duchess of Edinburgh by then) - Aquamarine Necklace Tiara with Her Late Majesty's "Best Diamonds"
Princess Beatrice - Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara
Princess Eugenie - Greville Emerald Tiara
Lady Louise - Strathmore Rose Tiara
Zara Phillips - Princess Andrew's Meander Tiara
Lady Sarah Chatto - Snowdon Tiara

GREAT BRITAIN
HM The Queen - State Diadem, Coronation Necklace & Earrings
Princess Royal - Girls of Great Britain Tiara
Princess of Wales - Vladimir Tiara with Pearls, Queen Alexandra's Wedding Necklace & Earings
Countess of Wessex (hopefully Duchess of Edinburgh by then) - Aquamarine Necklace Tiara with Her Late Majesty's "Best Diamonds"
Princess Beatrice - Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara
Princess Eugenie - Greville Emerald Tiara
Lady Louise - Strathmore Rose Tiara
Zara Phillips - Princess Andrew's Meander Tiara
Lady Sarah Chatto - Snowdon Tiara

That is certainly an impressive list.

Some comments:

> If the GDVladamir tiara is to be reused in a hurry, I would quite like the Queen to be the one to use it at some stage.

> For the Coronation, it would be quite nice to see the Princess of Wales use the Queen Mary Fringe.

> Sophie could probably wear her wedding tiara, with a diamond necklace lent to her from the royal vaults. I think the next wearer of the South African "best diamonds" necklace should probably be the Princess of Wales.

> Beatrice and Eugenie could probably choose from the Halo Scroll tiara, the QM Lozenge tiara or the Strathmore Rose. I would like to see the Queen use the Greville emerald tiara at some stage.

> Louise could use one of her mother's aquamarine tiaras.

> Anne would do justice to her mother's GGB&I tiara, but if it were to be the case, I hope it is a loan and the tiara remains with the main line.

I really hope that the Princess of Wales wearing a different tiara to the Coronation other than the Lover Knot (as beautiful as it is) .

I'd rather not see the late Queen's main tiaras worn by anyone other than the Queen Consort. I think it's appropriate to keep their status at monarch/consort level. I include the Girls, the Vlad, the Kokoshnik, the Belgian Sapphire, the Brazilian Aquamarine and the Burmese Ruby (even though I dislike it!)

The Princess of Wales has use of the Lover's Knot, the Lotus and could also be permanently loaned the Oriental Circlet, Queen Mary's Fringe and the Boucheron (the latter being grand enough for the coronation).

Princess Anne and Sophie Wessex have her own tiaras so don't need loans, although I've said before I'd like to see the creation of an Edinburgh tiara for Sophie when (if) that Dukedom goes to Edward.

Eugenie, Beatrice and Zara could wear their wedding tiaras and Louise could wear the Halo or ideally the Strathmore Rose.

If Meghan attends then the obvious choice is her wedding tiara.

I'd rather not see the late Queen's main tiaras worn by anyone other than the Queen Consort. I think it's appropriate to keep their status at monarch/consort level. I include the Girls, the Vlad, the Kokoshnik, the Belgian Sapphire, the Brazilian Aquamarine and the Burmese Ruby (even though I dislike it!)

I agree. The Oriental Circlet should be added to this list, as it belongs to the Crown.

The Princess of Wales has use of the Lover's Knot, the Lotus and could also be permanently loaned the Oriental Circlet, Queen Mary's Fringe and the Boucheron (the latter being grand enough for the coronation).

The QM Fringe would be a good one to add to the collection of the Princess of Wales.

I think the Greville Boucheron will remain with the Queen, she has used it regularly for many years, and I suspect will continue to be used by her as her "main" all diamond tiara.

Eugenie, Beatrice and Zara could wear their wedding tiaras and Louise could wear the Halo or ideally the Strathmore Rose.

I would like to see the Greville emerald only be worn by either the Queen or the Princess of Wales. There are other choices for Eugenie (Strathmore Rose, Halo, QM Lozenge)

I agree there are certain tiaras that should be reserved solely for the Queen consort :previous:

I agree there are certain tiaras that should be reserved solely for the Queen consort :previous:

Yes but i wouldn't include the Girls into it. Actally more the Lovers Knot tiara as that one more imposing abd bigger.

Yes but i wouldn't include the Girls into it. Actally more the Lovers Knot tiara as that one more imposing abd bigger.

I would not be averse to Anne using the Girls as a one-off for the Coronation. Ownership of the tiara should remain with the main line, and the next user of the tiara should then be the Princess of Wales.

I agree. The Oriental Circlet should be added to this list, as it belongs to the Crown.

The Oriental Circlet was left to the Crown by Queen Victoria for use by Queens only.

The Oriental Circlet was left to the Crown by Queen Victoria for use by Queens only.

That is correct.

It would be great to see Queen Camilla wear the Oriental Circlet in France on their first state visit.

I'd forgotten about the Oriental Circlet being only for queens, in which case Camilla should definitely wear it at some point.

As the dress code for the coronation is day wear (so we believe), I wonder if anyone other than Camilla will wear a tiara? I suppose Catherine could as she's the next queen but maybe none of the others will.

As the dress code for the coronation is day wear (so we believe), I wonder if anyone other than Camilla will wear a tiara? I suppose Catherine could as she's the next queen but maybe none of the others will.

We don't quite know what the dress code for the Coronation is, at this stage. But there is a real possibility that it is just Camilla and possibly, Catherine, who might wear a tiara / a crown.

It would be interesting to see if Camilla wears a tiara / diadem for the journey to the Abbey.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about the Oriental Circlet being only for queens, in which case Camilla should definitely wear it at some point.

That would be the same as the dresscode at the Investiture of King Willem-Alexander: formal daywear for ladies and gentlemen, ceremonial tenue for military, only the Queen wears a diadem.

Princess Anne and Sophie Wessex have her own tiaras so don't need loans, although I've said before I'd like to see the creation of an Edinburgh tiara for Sophie when (if) that Dukedom goes to Edward.

If Meghan attends then the obvious choice is her wedding tiara.

Didn't Beatrice wear Queen Mary's fringe tiara at her wedding? It wouldn't be available to her then if it were on permanent loan to the Princess of Wales.

I am not sure if a "big" diadem like the Boucheron would suit Catherine's frame. I think the Queen Consort might want to keep it for herself, as also the Oriental Circlet.

The QM Fringe would be a good one to add to the collection of the Princess of Wales.

I think the Greville Boucheron will remain with the Queen, she has used it regularly for many years, and I suspect will continue to be used by her as her "main" all diamond tiara.

I would like to see the Greville emerald only be worn by either the Queen or the Princess of Wales. There are other choices for Eugenie (Strathmore Rose, Halo, QM Lozenge)

I would love to see the Strathmore Rose tiara on one of the late QEQM's descendants, however isn't it reportedly too fragile to be worn?

Didn't Beatrice wear Queen Mary's fringe tiara at her wedding? It wouldn't be available to her then if it were on permanent loan to the Princess of Wales.

Beatrice was lent the QM Fringe to wear to her wedding, and she can, if required, be lent a different tiara for the coronation.

I would love to see the Strathmore Rose tiara on one of the late QEQM's descendants, however isn't it reportedly too fragile to be worn?

That was certainly a rumour a few years ago, but if the tiara was required, I am sure it can be repaired.

It would be great to see Queen Camilla wear the Oriental Circlet in France on their first state visit.
Let's hope she will be wearing a tiara at all. I wouldn't be suprised if she would ditch the tiaras for black tie State Banquets in Republic.
However i hope that she will follow in her mother-in-law's example.

According to Danish media, Queen Margrethe should send to London Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. So I guess any options for Mary:

The Ruby Parure
The Diamond, Ruby and Spinel Necklace Tiara
Her Wedding Tiara
The Midnight Tiara

According to Danish media, Queen Margrethe should send to London Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. So I guess any options for Mary:

The Ruby Parure
The Diamond, Ruby and Spinel Necklace Tiara
Her Wedding Tiara
The Midnight Tiara

Given the occasion, I wonder if CP Mary could borrow a tiara from the Royal Collection. Maybe The Emerald Parure? I don’t know if colored stones would be appropriate for a coronation service though.

:previous: isn't Denmark's emerald tiara not allowed to be taken outside Denmark? I think coloured stones are fine though, Norway's emerald parure has been worn in couples coronations.

:previous: isn't Denmark's emerald tiara not allowed to be taken outside Denmark? I think coloured stones are fine though, Norway's emerald parure has been worn in couples coronations.

Until I know, the Emerald parure can't be sold...

Back
Top Bottom