Maria-Olympia, Konstantinos, Achileas, Odysseas, Aristidis Events & News 1: 2015-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't very good judgement on the part of Constantine to have posted that photo of himself cavorting with a group of drunken Georgetown University students. We all know that that sort of thing happens at many colleges, and especially at Georgetown, which has a reputation for heavy- drinking and partying among its wealthy young student body. But there's no need to post it publicly where all the world can see it. He'd be well-advised to maintain a more dignified bearing in the future.
Young man goes to party with some friends.
Young man and friends at party drinks alcohol.
Young man and friends get drunk and happy.
Young drunk happy man takes photos of drunk happy friends.
Young drunk happy man posts photos taken of drunk happy friends on social media.
What's the problem? Unless it's against pandemic regulations or any other regulations I see no problems with CA either partying or posting the photos. Let the youngsters enjoy themselves.

I suppose that sort of behaviour goes on at all colleges, and probably particularly so at Georgetown University, which has a reputation as a party college for the sons and daughters of the elite. Constantine Alexios is about 22 yrs old or so now, so it's legal for him to drink. Nor is their anything wrong with college students occasionally sharing private social-media posts with their friends when indulging themselves in those activities. It is an element of college life for some students. There's probably some peer-pressure involved to participate in that kind of activity.

But other young men his age are out working long hours at hard jobs in order to pay for their education, or to help support their families in these difficult economic times. Many of those lucky enough to be wealthy are volunteering their time to work for worthwhile charities, or doing internships. It seems poor judgement for this young man to be posting photos of this kind of hooligan behaviour on public websites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., where all the world can see it. He's old enough now to have some sense of discretion about his public behavior.

Georgetown definitely does NOT have a reputation as a party school, nor does it particularly draw the "elite." Besides, most of the pictures don't appear to be from Georgetown. The ones with the kids partying look like they're from a camp somewhere -- nothing like that near Georgetown.

I'd also point out that there's nothing scandalous about these pictures -- it's just a bunch of friends having fun. Other than a box of Blue Moon beer in one picture, there's no alcohol or anything else in the pictures.

Louis Vuitton presents HER ROYAL HIGHNESS THE PRINCESS OF GREECE AND DENMARK, Olympia, as the image of its brand.
I imagine that Maria Olympia will be very upset,;);) the brand has used the title of Princess that she despises so much ;. After ridiculing her grandparents, the kings of Greece, and publicly declaring that she does not use that title ...

Now it will be necessary to remind her that Louis Vuitton has hired her as the image of its brand because she is a granddaughter of the KING OF GREECE, because her title of Princess of Greece (if she really has it) is by her grandfather the King of Greece.:eek:

Someone should remind Olympia that the title, which she claims not to use, except in the contracts she signs to promote a brand, does not grow in the field.:whistling:

When did she ridiculize her grandparents?

Prince Achileas, third son of Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, has a girlfriend. As confirmed by ¡HOLA!, the twenty-year-old young prince is dating Isabella Massenet, a twenty-one-year-old British model and photographer.
She is the daughter of Arnaud and Natalie Massenet, founders of Net-a-Porter and pioneers in the sale of luxury fashion online.
https://www.hola.com/actualidad/202...-novia-achileas-de-grecia-nuera-marie-chantal

Yesterday, September 7, Maria-Olympia launched her new skincare product in collaboration with The Organic Pharmacy at the Isabel restaurant in Mayfair, London. Konstantinos was present as well.

** gettyimages gallery ** dailymail article **

From respect, in my opinion. I do not think that a 25-year-old girl is the most correct thing to advertise a skin preservation treatment, she does not need that treatment, these treatments are more suitable for women 40 years of age and older, which is when wrinkles really appear, and the spots on the skin, but with 25 years. A party with youngs to present a tratament to skin preservation it is curious. This makes me wonder, who is this treatment for...for youngs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can Pavlos' children even speak Greek? Especially Constantine-Alexios, as he is in line for the head of the family after his father.

It unfortunately seems to me that the children are abusing their titles to advance their own socialite agendas in other countries. But they seem to have no interest at all in Greece. Shameful...

I'm comparing them with Romania's King Michael's granson, Nicholas. Despite all he's been through, he has dedicated his work to contributing towards Romania. Not only does he now live here now, but he's involved with various NGOs and doing volunteer work.

What are Pavlos' children planning to do?

Can Pavlos' children even speak Greek? Especially Constantine-Alexios, as he is in line for the head of the family after his father.

It unfortunately seems to me that the children are abusing their titles to advance their own socialite agendas in other countries. But they seem to have no interest at all in Greece. Shameful...

I'm comparing them with Romania's King Michael's granson, Nicholas. Despite all he's been through, he has dedicated his work to contributing towards Romania. Not only does he now live here now, but he's involved with various NGOs and doing volunteer work.

Your comparison is not fair.

The Republic of Romania is very well-willing and accomodating towards the former Royal House.

The Hellenic Republic does not even allow their former royals to have Greek nationality! (They travel around on Spanish and Danish diplomatic passports).

How can you expect state-less citizens to perform public duties in Greece if the very country does not even acknowledge them? Apart from that: they are HRH Prince (Princess) of Greece and Denmark. They are not "abusing" any title. It simply is theirs, from generation on generation.

Maybe we even can say that the only one who is "abusing" a title actually is the Romanian-nationalized Swiss-born UK-citizen Mr Nicholas Medforth Mills, whom was created a prince in 2007, lost that title in 2015 but nevertheless still affiches himself as "Principele Nicolae".

Last edited:

This has been discussed in this forum in the past years over and over again. From my point of view the CP´s children are not pushed in any kind of direction having to deal with their grandparent´s country in any way or task. By marrying Marie-Chantal 26 years ago, Paul/ Pavlos married into the realms of jet set and billionaires - and that´s the world their children were born into. They know nothing else.

As Marie-Chantal once put it, she and her husband would "face the reality and do not lose themselves" in phantasies about a monarchy which is long gone and would hardly be reinstalled again. As I understood she meant it would be best to acknowledge the facts and go on with life instead of pretending to be in an official capacity to serve Greece one day again.
The only child of Constantine and Anne-Marie who really seems serious and passionate about his country is Nicholaos and his wife who both speak fluent greek and live near Athens since many years now.
You cannot compare Romania with Greece and at the same time you can. Both former Balkan monarchies, but one occurs like a constitutional monarchy within a republic, with its members, in accordance with the romanian government, having more or less "official" royal duties to fulfill, while the other one, Greece, is largely anti-monarchist.

And as I repeatedly stated: a few years ago Greece was at the total verge of a breakdown. The notoriously corrupt, nepotist, kleptocratic, autocrat and olichargic republican elite had totally ruïned the country, despite an unimagineable amount of EU-money flowing to Athens since 1981.

But even then, with the Hellenic Republic rocking on its core foundations and with protestors daily swarming the streets of Athens, fighting with riot police: there was no one advocating the return of the monarchy.

If even in such a total chaos and in an existential crisis, there is zero comma zero appetite for the monarchy, how can one expect Crown Prince Pavlos and his children hunting phantoms of the past? They are wise to focus on their own career and on making their own life.

Last edited:
The Hellenic Republic does not even allow their former royals to have Greek nationality! (They travel around on Spanish and Danish diplomatic passports).

How can you expect state-less citizens to perform public duties in Greece if the very country does not even acknowledge them? Apart from that: they are HRH Prince (Princess) of Greece and Denmark. They are not "abusing" any title. It simply is theirs, from generation on generation.

This is a contradiction. If Greece is a Republic, then the title of Prince / Princess of Greece does not exist... does not have any legal support. In that case, perhaps only those who received the title while the monarchy was legal would have the right to use it, and not their wives or children.

These titles are not an inheritance, or ordinary surnames that are passed from generation to generation ... they are titles that are linked to an institution that is governed by the laws of each country. So if they are not even interested in sharing some connection with their family's native country, they can adopt the surname Glücksburg or Miller.

When Irene received Spanish nationality, the documentation did not include the title of Princess, a title that Spanish laws reserve for the heir to the throne, and she had to adopt the two surnames that her sister Sofía uses since her arrival in Spain.

This is a contradiction. If Greece is a Republic, then the title of Prince / Princess of Greece does not exist... does not have any legal support. In that case, perhaps only those who received the title while the monarchy was legal would have the right to use it, and not their wives or children.

These titles are not an inheritance, or ordinary surnames that are passed from generation to generation ... they are titles that are linked to an institution that is governed by the laws of each country. So if they are not even interested in sharing some connection with their family's native country, they can adopt the surname Glücksburg or Miller.

When Irene received Spanish nationality, the documentation did not include the title of Princess, a title that Spanish laws reserve for the heir to the throne, and she had to adopt the two surnames that her sister Sofía uses since her arrival in Spain.

Thank you, lula. This is exactly what I mean. I do agree that a comparison between the Greek and Romanian royal families is not suitable, due to the different environments and attitudes the respective countries have towards the royal families. So I retract my statement in that regard. But not with regard to the behavior and attitudes of Pavlos' children. I entirely disagree with @Duc_et_Pair assessment that the children are entitled to claim royalty and owe no duties whatsoever. At the end of the day, the title bears some responsibilities as well. @wartenberg7 pointed out very correctly the decision that Marie-Chantal made for her children, and I'm not disputing whether it was wrong or right. The reality is that Greece does not favour the Greek royal family. My question is whether the children should so easily use their titles as Greek royals when they don't speak Greek (as far as I know) or volunteer their time in any way to contribute towards Greek society?

As @wartenberg7 correctly pointed out, Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatianna are significantly more involved in Greek society and contribute a lot more (without the need of having official duties). The King and Queen partook in many activities when he was still able. And they all decided to take the step of moving to Greece, despite the hostile environment. They more than deserve their titles. On the other hand, Pavlos and his children are very distant from the country and the people, and the children increasingly so. Expect during times when they are able to flaunt their royal title as socialites and advance their own personal goals.

If Marie-Chantal, Pavlos and their children have made the decision of accepting the (unfavourable) reality of the royal family in Greece, and have chosen to distance themselves from the country and are not willing to take on any informal responsibilities that come to with the title, the right step is also to relinquish their claim to the Greek title and simply be princes and princesses of the Danish royal family and that's that.

On a side-note, it is an unfortunate reality that Prince Nikolaos is not crown prince and that he does not have children. With his involvement in Greece and with having children brought up in Greece, the Greek royal family would have had a chance of having a more favourable position in Greece in the long-term. Seeing the future is the hands of Pavlos and his children, that hope is gone (at least for me).

Last edited:
Tja, if that were the definition there are many other royals apart from the Greeks who should stop using their titles & we could tear up almost all pages of the Almanach de Gotha.

IMO the crown prince and his family do not owe the country a thing. Greece has kicked the family out and has behaved appalingly towards the RF for decades. Unlike in Romania or Serbia there are few informal responsibilities that come with being the heir of the Greek throne. I imagine it is a healthy thing that they do not cling on to long lost dreams and have moved on.

It is interesting that this discussion only pops up with the CP Pavlos & family, while nobody mentions a simular issue for f.e. the Bulgarians, Don Luis Alfonso de Borbon, who puts on airs about the French throne, the Italian pretenders, the many archdukes and archduchesses or even for Pavlos' younger brother and sister Philippos and Theodora.

Last edited:
It is interesting that this discussion only pops up with the CP Pavlos & family, while nobody mentions a simular issue for f.e. the Bulgarians, Don Luis Alfonso de Borbon, who puts on airs about the French throne, the Italian pretenders, the many archdukes and archduchesses or even for Pavlos' younger brother and sister Philippos and Theodora.

Moot point. The claim to French throne is disputed and each pretender has a varying degree of involvement in France (and they can speak French). And the Italian pretenders actually live in their countries and speak the respective national languages. And archdukes and archduchesses do not lay claim to the head of state of a country. Whilst Prince Philippos and Princess Theodora are not in the immediate line of succession to the head of the Greek royal family. Whilst Pavlos and his eldest son, Constantine Alexios, are.

I do agree, however, that they don't owe anything to Greece, considering how they were booted out. At the same time though, if they no longer want to be associated with the country, they should no longer use the royal title either - at least in such a flaunting manner for personal gains outside the country (which in the end does bear some informal responsibilities - such as at least speaking the national language and living the country, if legally possible, as the King and Prince Nikolaos have decided to do).

LE: I mean Constantine Alexios' instagram is literally "alexiosgreece". I can just see a Greek person rightly exclaiming "Ela re, 'greece', the guy doesn't live here or speak the language". He's claiming something that he's not willing to bear any responsibility for. At least Prince Boris, as you pointed out the Bulgarians, makes no such attempt of flaunting his royal status, and he simply goes by Boris de Sajonia-Coburgo-Gotha y Ungría (his instagram is Boris Saxe-Coburg or "borissaxe"- not "borisbulgaria"). Although it might be unfair bringing the Bulgarians in this topic, as maybe Prince Boris would have had a different path if not were for the tragic incapacitation and later death of his father, Prince Kardam.

Last edited:
They use titles because titles are part of the family. I believe that Pavlos and Marie-Chantal's children like Greece but don't feel the obligation to live in the country or to do anything for the country.
The same happens with Alexia, Theodora and Philippos.
I don't criticize them, not least because the Greek state has always misbehaved with the royal family.
Nikolaos and Tatiana live in Greece and enjoy being in the country. If Nikoalos were the heir, the situation might be different.
King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie also live in Greece. Fortunately they had the opportunity to return to their country.
The King loves Greece, although he has not always been treated well by the country's governments. And I believe your children and grandchildren love Greece too.

There are people who are much more strongly criticized for their title usage in royal watching discussions than the former royal family of Greece, whose usage of Greek royal titles still enjoys the approval of most royal watchers. Female-line, adoptive, and out-of-wedlock children of German royals are roundly criticized by royal watchers for using the royal titles which are incorporated into their legal names, when they are fully entitled to them under the modern egalitarian laws of the German state. The late Prince Henrik and the Danish royal court were widely criticized for recognizing Henrik's premarital French courtesy title of Count, when his family had used the title for centuries without the French state taking issue.

So there are indeed some inconsistencies in the discussions of titles among royal watchers, but in regard to the French and Italian pretenders, their position is not quite comparable. In France, the titles of all three former royal families and of the former noble families receive legal recognition and protection from the state. In Italy, the legal recognition of nobility titles has ceased, but the state appears to have no issue with their widespread usage in daily life. I am not knowledgeable about the situation in Bulgaria.

You are right that the Greek issue exists too for the numerous "archdukes and archduchesses". As with Greece, the Austrian state has long made clear that their former imperial family is expected to move on from their nonexistent titles. On the other hand, there seems to be very little royal watching discussion in the first place about most members of the Habsburg family, with the exception of the family of the head of the house (who at least appear to refrain from using archducal titles when they are in Austria), the family of Princess Astrid of Belgium (who nearly always use their Belgian titles), and the family of Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg (and I seem to recall that family has indeed been criticized for using the revoked titles).

IMO the crown prince and his family do not owe the country a thing. Greece has kicked the family out and has behaved appalingly towards the RF for decades. Unlike in Romania or Serbia there are few informal responsibilities that come with being the heir of the Greek throne. I imagine it is a healthy thing that they do not cling on to long lost dreams and have moved on.

I do agree, however, that they don't owe anything to Greece, considering how they were booted out. At the same time though, if they no longer want to be associated with the country, they should no longer use the royal title either - at least in such a flaunting manner for personal gains outside the country (which in the end does bear some informal responsibilities - such as at least speaking the national language and living the country, if legally possible, as the King and Prince Nikolaos have decided to do).

I am not the most knowledgeable on this issue, but it is not my impression that the state or the people of Greece are clinging to their former royal family. It seems to be the family which claims that Greece owes them the title and name of the country.

They use titles because titles are part of the family.

I understand your point and that is probably the family's view of the matter. On the other hand, I suspect that Zara Phillips for example would be roundly condemned if she used Princess Zara of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, despite being an official member of a family that still reigns over the UK and living in the country. And as I mentioned above, there are Germans who receive criticism for using their legally-acknowledged titles despite living in Germany and being legitimate (according to modern equality laws) members of former ruling families.

Last edited:
I will never get that discussion... Royalty almost never gave up titles after being deposed. The Kaiser remained "The Kaiser" up until now although he is a very unpopular figure in Germany these days (nobody would ever call him "Wilhelm Hohenzollern"! I guess no German would know who was meant by that. Even today`s head of the Hohenzollern Dynasty, Georg Friedrich, is always called "GF, Prince of Prussia"). The former King of Portugal died as King Manuel and not as Manuel Braganza in Exile. The younger sister of Empress Elisabeth of Austria, Marie of Two Sicily, remained Queen Marie after she and her weak husband were driven out of the country. Zita, wife of the Emperor Charles of Austria-Hungary was known as Empress Zita until she died. King Michael of Romania was King Michael. King Umberto, former King of Italy was King Umberto, the Shah is the Shah (don´t know if Reza Pahlavi would be familiar to everybody..?)... The list could go on and on. So why of all Royals the greek royal family are always confronted with criticism using titles unjustified is beyond me!
They were born into it, no matter if they hold official roles in a society or not and by that it´s part of their birthright and personality. You cannot compare these things with jobs ordinary people have ("once I was a taxi driver, now I am a teacher") - royal titles are not just a job discription, but they mark the complete (family) background, legacy and biography of these people.
Zara Philips was never a "Princess of GB and NI" - she was not born as such as her father remained a commoner even after marrying Zara´s mother and because, if true what is claimed, Pcss Anne refused royal titles for her children. The same counts for the offspring of norwegian Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid, which both married commoners who remained so after their wedding so that their children have average commoner names. So Zara or the norwegian Princesses children as well as Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnusson´s children, cannot be compared with a former reigning King and Queen and their children ( Alexia, Pavlos and Nikolaos were even born when their parents were still in office) who were both born as children of reigning monarchs.

What could be criticised and what would really be illegal and unlawful, if a pretender of a former throne would style him/ herself "King" or "Queen" after the death of the predecessor, That is why Margarita of Romania is a "Custodian" and not the new "Queen of Romania". That she styled herself a "Majesty" could be discussed and argued upon indeed...!

Last edited:
I will never get that discussion... Royalty almost never gave up titles after being deposed. The Kaiser remained "The Kaiser" up until now although he is a very unpopular figure in Germany these days. The former King of Portugal died as King Manuel and not as Manuel Braganza in Exile. The younger sister of Empress Elisabeth of Austria, Marie of Two Sicily, remained Queen Marie after she and her weak husband were driven out of the country. Zita, wife of the Emperor Charles of Austria-Hungary was known as Empress Zita until she died. King Michael of Romania was King Michael. King Umberto, former King of Italy was King Umberto... The list could go on and on.

One could also cite a long list of royals who were stripped of their titles, whether they abided by the decision or not. Germany preserved the title of their Kaiser, but Austria did not. Portugal allowed King Manuel to maintain his title, but King Miguel was stripped of his by Parliament. The Kingdom of Italy continued to recognize the titles of the deposed royal family of the Two Sicilies, but the Republic of Italy officially does not.

So why of all Royals the greek royal family are always confronted with criticism using titles unjustified is beyond me!

In my previous post, I have cited a few examples of persons who are confronted with much more expansive criticism for using royal titles.

Zara Philips was never a "Princess of GB and NI" - she was not born as such
[...] So Zara or the norwegian Princesses children as well as Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnusson´s children, cannot be compared with a former reigning King and Queen who were both born as children of reigning monarchs.

My understanding was that this particular discussion originally dealt with the grandchildren of the former king.

What could be criticised and what would really be illegal and unlawful, if a pretender of a former throne would style him/ herself "King" or "Queen" after the death of the predecessor, That is why Margarita of Romania is a "Custodian" and not the new "Queen of Romania". That she styled herself a "Majesty" could be discussed and argued upon indeed...!

It can certainly be argued, but as she does so with the recognition and support of the reigning Romanian state which allocates her a quasi-official role, it is not unlawful and many of the issues in the Greek case do not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom