Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this a thousand years of tradition but it really bothers me that once married, female members must leave the Imperial Family, why not make male members too who marry commoners leave, its so ridiculous, you are raised in a bubble, made to conform and perform, then zap, you are out, its archaic and should not be allowed any longer, IMO

You talk about a culture that is very tradition oriented....not likely to change anytime soon I don't think.

LaRae

There is the emperor and his 2 sons. The Crown Prince has only a girl, his brother has one son. The emperor's brother has no children. So if the lone male grandson doesn't have any male children, the throne is in trouble. I did a quick Wikipedia search. Hirohito's brothers don't have any surviving male members. So there are no cousins of the emperor to take over if the current line runs out of males.

The genealogy of the contemporary Imperial Family

Genealogy - The Imperial Household Agency

A reform may be overdue! Especially since a survey showed about 85 % being in favor of women becoming the ruling empress.

But fewer are in favor of married women remaining in the Imperial Family.

March 8-April 14, 2017: By Kyodo News

62% support
35% oppose

Mid-March to late April 2017: By Asahi

49% support
40% oppose

May 20-21, 2017: By Mainichi

41% support
20% oppose

June 17-18, 2017: By Mainichi

50% support
14% oppose

I know this a thousand years of tradition but it really bothers me that once married, female members must leave the Imperial Family, why not make male members too who marry commoners leave, its so ridiculous, you are raised in a bubble, made to conform and perform, then zap, you are out, its archaic and should not be allowed any longer, IMO

I do not know from when the tradition of a woman taking the rank of her husband dates, but I suspect that it is not a thousand years old.

When asked what they call each other, Princess Mako said they are now using each other's first names. She refrained from a demonstration. Throughout the press conference, Kei Komuro referred to Mako as "Miya-sama" and she called him "Komuro-san." [Sankei 2]

ANN’s 7-minute version:
FNN’s full 13-minute press conference:

Was that ever seriously doubted? ;)

What sort of job does he have?
I haven't seen it mentioned.

:previous:

The Yomiuri Shimbun
8:21 pm, May 17, 2017

[…]

Asked about his current occupation, Komuro said he worked as a paralegal and is assisting lawyers. The legal office where Komuro belongs specializes in business turnaround and corporate law.

Komuro, who is proficient in English, deals with translations of contracts and research on the practice of law at the firm.

In addition, he is studying business law at the Hitotsubashi University Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy in the evening.

“I think it’s important for me to seriously go about my work and study right now,” said Komuro when asked about his dreams and goals for the future.
Princess Mako and fiance Kei wax lyrical over heavenly love: The Asahi Shimbun
Komuro said, "I sincerely recognize that I bear a grave responsibility" in marrying a naishinno princess -- a daughter or granddaughter of the emperor.

He added that he wants to create a "harmonious" family in which they can be themselves, vowing to do his best to achieve the goal.

[...]

After the press conference, the princess and Komuro were scheduled to have dinner with her parents Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko, and his mother Kayo at the prince's residence Sunday night.
Princess Mako, Komuro express delight as they meet press for first time- Nikkei Asian Review
[...]

Komuro proposed to Princess Mako in December 2013, saying, “Let’s marry in the future.” The princess immediately accepted the marriage proposal.

Following the upcoming marriage, Princess Mako will leave the Imperial Family. Article 12 of the Imperial House Law stipulates that a woman in the Imperial Family shall lose her status in the family if she marries a person outside the family.

On this, Princess Mako said, “From my childhood, I have spent my life, bearing in mind that when I get married, I would lose my Imperial Family member status.”

[...]

Her fiance-to-be, a resident of Yokohama, works at a law firm in Tokyo. He is the eldest son of Toshikatsu Komuro, a former employee of the Yokohama city government, who died in 2002, and his wife Kayo, 51.

Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko said in a statement that they look forward to the wedding of Princess Mako and Komuro.

[...]

According to [IHA Grand Steward] Shinichiro Yamamoto, the Emperor and Empress appeared to be feeling deeply impressed. The Emperor was quoted as saying, “It’s good because the weather is fine today.”

[...]
Princess Mako, Komuro announce engagement - The Japan News

She won't be kept from her family in private, but for all we know, HIH Princess Mako of Akishino may be secretly overjoyed to get out from under the thumb of the IHA and just be Mrs. Komuro, able to shop for and wear whatever color and style of clothes she wants, travel abroad, go to a movie, drive her own car, etc. Life in the overly-regimented JRF is not exactly an easy existence.

I did see a quote somewhere, though, that there are those in the IHA and elsewhere who are surprised she would choose to marry and "not support" her brother when he becomes Emperor in the future. What did they expect? That Mako and Kako would remain unmarried and childless in service to the crown?

Last edited:
She won't be kept from her family in private, but for all we know, HIH Princess Mako of Akishino may be secretly overjoyed to get out from under the thumb of the IHA and just be Mrs. Komuro, able to shop for and wear whatever color and style of clothes she wants, travel abroad, go to a movie, drive her own car, etc. Life in the overly-regimented JRF is not exactly an easy existence.
This is my thought too. Like the former Princess Nori and Princess Noriko, she seems relieved that in the very near future, she will have the same freedoms as any married woman her age.

I did see a quote somewhere, though, that there are those in the IHA and elsewhere who are surprised she would choose to marry and "not support" her brother when he becomes Emperor in the future. What did they expect? That Mako and Kako would remain unmarried and childless in service to the crown?
I read the same. Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko must be applauded for allowing their daughters to chose their own future and not bow to the grey men in the IHA. The Akishino Princesses should not have to suffer the consequences of poor decision-making regarding Imperial succession.

And when she after the wedding gets pregnant and later gives birth, will not these facts be announced? (Because she will be the private citizen then).

Did everyone read what they said about one another during their engagement interview?

The princess said she was first attracted to her fiance's smile that was "like the sun".

He responded that she watches over him quietly '"like the moon".

I think that this one will go down-in my memory at least-as the most elegant and poetic Royal engagement interview of all!:whistling:?

Simply beautiful.

Did everyone read what they said about one another during their engagement interview?

The princess said she was first attracted to her fiance's smile that was "like the sun".

He responded that she watches over him quietly '"like the moon".

I think that this one will go down-in my memory at least-as the most elegant and poetic Royal engagement interview of all!:whistling:?

Simply beautiful.
:wub::wub::wub::wub: I just melted! :flowers:

The same has been said in the press. :flowers:

Princess Mako and fiance Kei wax lyrical over heavenly love?The Asahi Shimbun

“Both of us had an understanding that we should date someone we might one day marry,” said Mako, the oldest of Emperor Akihito's four grandchildren.

When the princess, in a fetching mint green dress, was asked about what her fiance means to her, she described Komuro as a person who warmly encourages her.

Initially enamored by his scintillating smile, she later became attracted to his earnest nature and his attitude of working hard at life with good faith and a strong will. She was also moved by how open he is.

[…]

In December 2013, Komuro proposed to Mako after returning to Japan.

“I accepted his proposal right there and then as I already set my mind (on marrying him),” said Mako.

Komuro, dressed in a navy blue suit, expressed his feelings toward the princess, shared his experiences from his days with her, and said when he sees a beautiful moon in the night sky, he instinctively calls for Mako.

Komuro said he was strongly attracted to Mako and described her as a loving person.

In a moment of light relief, Mako fended off a question over the names they use for one another.

“I would like to refrain from saying here what we call each other (in private),” she said bashfully. But she then added, “We call each other by our first names.”

As for marrying an imperial family member, Komuro said, "I recognize seriously that I bear a grave responsibility.”
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...rmer-university-classmate-possibly-next-fall/

The princess and her fiance, Kei Komuro, both 25, described their relationship in a very romantic way, comparing it to that of the sun and moon.

[…]

Princess Mako said she met Komuro during her freshman year at International Christian University in western Tokyo. They became close in 2012, when they participated in an orientation session for study abroad programs, she said.

As a part of the exchange program, Princess Mako studied at the University of Edinburgh, while Komuro attended the University of California, Los Angeles.

Komuro said the pair started dating before they went abroad.

Due to where we studied, “we were far from each other for a long period of time, but we continued contacting each other, and deepened our relationship,” Komuro said, adding that he proposed in December 2013 by saying, “Let’s get married in the future.”

Princess Mako's Nosai-no-gi ceremony is tentatively scheduled for March 4th. The ceremony, in which Kei Komuro's messenger presents betrothal gifts to Prince Akishino's family, will make the engagement official. Sunday March 4th was selected in consideration of Mr. Komuro's work.

Source: Mainichi

Betrothal gifts consist of a pair of sea breams, sake, and either silk cloth or dress. In 2014, Kunimaro Senge substituted an envelope of money for the fish.

ETA: Imperial Household Agency mulls March 4 for Princess Mako's engagement ceremony - The Mainichi

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Engagement of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017

The IHA is considering next November 4 as the wedding date and agency officials are looking at hotels in Tokyo for the ceremony.

Sources: Asahi, Sankei

ETA: Princess Mako’s wedding ceremony planned for Nov. 4, 2018: sources | The Japan Times
... The Imperial Household Agency is planning the wedding ceremony of Princess Mako, eldest granddaughter of Emperor Akihito, and Kei Komuro, her classmate from university, for Nov. 4 next year, the Imperial Household Agency announced Wednesday.

The ceremony will be held at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo...

ETA: Asahi doesn't name a specific hotel yet.
Princess Mako to wed Kei Komuro next November, say sources: The Asahi Shimbun
Princess Mako and Kei Komuro’s wedding will likely take place at a hotel in Tokyo...

ETA: Nevermind. Asahi now reports the Imperial Hotel as the venue as reported earlier by other media.

Princess Mako to wed Kei Komuro next November at Imperial Hotel: The Asahi Shimbun
Princess Mako and Kei Komuro’s wedding will take place at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo on Nov. 4, 2018, the Imperial Household Agency said Nov. 22.

[...]

The couple, both 26 years old, have been making preparations for their marriage, including Komuro visiting Mako's family residence.
Japan's princess to wed Nov. 4, 2018 | Nippon TV NEWS24 JAPAN

The Imperial Hotel was the venue for Mako's aunt, Princess Sayako's wedding ceremony and reception in 2005.

The Imperial Hotel, Hotel Okura Tokyo, and Hotel New Otani Tokyo are known as the three great hotels (御三家 gosanke) of Tokyo. Princess Noriko of Takamado's Tokyo wedding reception was held at Hotel New Otani. The Mikasa family had some weddings at Hotel Okura.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
IHA published the schedule for rituals concerning Princess Mako and Kei Komuro's marriage, see IHA page

March 4: Nosai no Gi (Ceremony of Betrothal)
October 7: Kokki no Gi (Ceremony of Announcing the Date)
October 31: Kashikodokoro-Koreiden-Shinden-ni-Essuru-no-Gi (Ceremony of Worshiping at the Three Palace Sanctuaries in the Imperial Palace)
October 31: Choken-no-Gi (Ceremony of Audience)
November 4: Judai no gi (Ceremony of Departure)
November 4: Wedding Ceremony

In the hotel? Not in the temple?

Yes, I think that's the usual custom for princesses leaving the Imperial family. Her aunt Sayako also married at the Imperial Hotel. The part at the Three Palace Sanctuaries is a farewell / worship ritual for the princess and doesn't involve the groom.

Are you thinking of Princess Noriko of Takamado's wedding ceremony at Izumo Taisha shrine? Hers was different because her husband, Kunimaro Senge, is the son and heir of the shrine's chief priest.

Postponed due to the abdication of her grandfather....

Postponed due to the abdication of her grandfather....
What has this to do with the abdication? If it is this year it will ber several months before it. Or has it to do with her status as mber of the Imperial Family?

Wow...talk about long engagements.

LaRae

Something about the stated reasons doesn't pass the smell test for me. My gut feeling--and I emphasize, this is a comment based on nothing but personal instinct and past observations of how this family works--is that either something pretty messy has happened between the two of them and they aren't sure if they want to get married anymore or folks at the IHS have come to feel for some reason that it's selfish for her to leave the Imperial Family before taking part in whatever ceremonies they have planned for the abdication/transition. But I don't believe that this couple who have been dating for five years and who would have been publically engaged for 1+ year by the time of the scheduled wedding are suddenly worried that they're rushing things.

A few more quotes from Mainichi:

The princess said through the agency she "came to recognize the lack of time to make sufficient preparations."

The agency denied any link between the postponement and recent weekly magazine reports of a financial dispute between Komuro's mother and her former fiance over her son's educational expenses, which were shouldered by the mother's former partner.

"It is not because there were weekly magazine reports," an agency official said.

[…]

"Last May, there had been reports about our engagement at an unexpected time," [Princess Mako] said. "We believe we have rushed various things."

"I wish to think about marriage more deeply and concretely and give sufficient time to prepare our marriage and for after the marriage," she said.

She said she wants to postpone the marriage and other related occasions until 2020, after a "series of ceremonies important for the imperial family have ended smoothly," in an apparent reference to Emperor Akihito's abdication on April 30, 2019 and accession to the throne the following day by Crown Prince Naruhito.

On the postponement the princess said, "It is because of our immaturity and we just regret it."

"We feel extremely sorry for causing great trouble and further burden to those who have willingly supported us," she said.

Princess Mako's engagement to be postponed: agency - The Mainichi

The reason given sounds strange to me. Wedding dates were already set and the abdication date as well.

Something about the stated reasons doesn't pass the smell test for me. My gut feeling--and I emphasize, this is a comment based on nothing but personal instinct and past observations of how this family works--is that either something pretty messy has happened between the two of them and they aren't sure if they want to get married anymore or folks at the IHS have come to feel for some reason that it's selfish for her to leave the Imperial Family before taking part in whatever ceremonies they have planned for the abdication/transition. But I don't believe that this couple who have been dating for five years and who would have been publically engaged for 1+ year by the time of the scheduled wedding are suddenly worried that they're rushing things.

I agree completely.

I have the same gut feeling.

And I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom