Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given that the press release's wording is "be known as Queen Consort" (emphasis added), and that the previous unofficial leak to the Telegraph stated that "the word 'consort' would always be used", my reading is that HM The Queen Consort is intended to be the actual usage, unlike previous British queens consort or Camilla's continental colleagues. But we will see if there will be further guidance from the palace, or possibly a second change of "intention/wish" at a later date.

Seems odd timing. This could have been said years ago but good on Camilla. She was always going to be Queen Camilla, but this is HMQ making it clear she wants the people to support her.

I am not sure if the country was ready for it years ago. Camilla had a bad press but she took on the role and has proved herself to be very popular, she has worked hard, took on some difficult roles but always supported Charles. There will always be some who do not approve.

Thank you very much for posting the actual statement, Osipi.

Another link:
The part about Queen Consort reads:

"And when, in the fullness of time, my son Charles becomes King, I know you will give him and his wife Camilla the same support that you have given me, and it is my sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service."​

The Queen Consort, with "Consort" explicitly stated, is still a break from the traditional The Queen, but a minor one.

From the announcement, it seems the current intention is that she will be known as Queen Consort (as opposed to The Queen or Queen Camilla). Previously, the official "intention" was that she would be known as Princess Consort.

My feeling is that for the Queen to come out and explicitly state her intentions and wishes that she sincerely hopes that Camilla will be known as Queen Consort almost confirms my suspicion that QEII's health is worse than we imagine. I was seriously shocked she made such a huge intention on this day- anniversary of her father's death and of her ascension.

The fact it is so publicly announced means when that time does come, people in the UK and Commonwealth will probably be more accepting of hearing HM Queen Camilla because of this intention. Wow

Last edited:
Queen Consort is the correct title for the wife of a king. Her Majesty is not in anyway lowering the title for Camilla. The queen mother was queen consort to George v1 but the consort title is never used in normal day to day language but the queen is using the correct title.

It is significant that the Queen explicitly used the term "Queen Consort", which suggests that the rumors that were mentioned on TRF a while ago were actually true. As I said before, I think it doesn't make any sense to create a new title for Camilla that does not exist in the common law.

It is her sincerest wish that Camilla will be Queen Consort. None of the press appear to had any idea of this, they were expecting a statement but it would appear they expected it to be more about the Jubilee. From what I heard on the news the statement talks about the importance of the role of the consort. Our Queen always knows how to surprise us and take control of the situation.

My feeling is that for the Queen to come out and explicitly state her intentions and wishes that she sincerely hopes that Camilla will be known as Queen Consort almost confirms my suspicion that QEII's health is worse than we imagine. I was seriously shocked she made such a huge intention on this day- anniversary of her father's death and of her ascension.

I suspect that framing the new intention as the Queen's "sincere wish" rather than the Prince of Wales's final decision (and thereby permitting stories to be written about Charles honoring the wishes of his mother instead of stories about Charles going back on his word from 2005), burying it near the end of a long and stirring statement about her reign, and releasing it late on a Saturday night more than a week after first floating it to a (monarchist) newspaper, were all deliberate choices designed to soften the decision for the part of the public that is still opposed.

Why this announcement TODAY? Surely on the 70th anniversary of the accession of Elizabeth II, this could have waited?

Why this announcement TODAY? Surely on the 70th anniversary of the accession of Elizabeth II, this could have waited?

It was obviously Her Majesty's choice to do it now

I suspect that framing the new intention as the Queen's "sincere wish" rather than the Prince of Wales's final decision (and thereby permitting stories to be written about Charles honoring the wishes of his mother instead of stories about Charles going back on his word from 2005), burying it near the end of a long and stirring statement about her reign, and releasing it late on a Saturday night more than a week after first floating it to a (monarchist) newspaper, were all deliberate choices designed to soften the decision for the part of the public that is still opposed.

I disagree, maybe I am naive but why does everything need to be a plot or a plan because we the public need to be manipulated.
There have been stories for years that Charles wanted Camilla to be known as queen. The garter honour was a sign of her feelings towards Camilla.
The Saturday night release was to ensure the Sunday morning newspapers, the official day of the accession, the reporters were taken aback by the comments re Camilla, it was not the statement they were expecting.
I personally do not think the public need to be softened, yes there are still people with strong views with regards Diana, the whole War of the Wales , which they are entitled to hold, but life moves on. A great number of people believe she has earned her stripes and behaved as a consort should behave.

Last edited by a moderator:
February 6th is the day that the Queen remembers and still grieves for her father, King George VI. February 6th is the date she became Queen herself and with reflecting on her 70 years on the throne, her logical thoughts would be on her monarchy over the years and where she'd like it known that she would want it to go in the future when her son reigns. How Camilla is titled and styled has been in the air for years and the subject of much discussion here as to the legitimacy of "Princess Consort", the repercussions of that being done going into the reigns of William and George etc. It concerns the monarchy and this is the wish of the present monarch for the monarchy as it continues into the future.

The timing, to me, was perfect.

Did anybody notice the letter was signed YOUR SERVANT Elizabeth R.

Very happy that she made her opinion clear concerning Camilla.

February 6th is the day that the Queen remembers and still grieves for her father, King George VI. February 6th is the date she became Queen herself and with reflecting on her 70 years on the throne, her logical thoughts would be on her monarchy over the years and where she'd like it known that she would want it to go in the future when her son reigns. How Camilla is titled and styled has been in the air for years and the subject of much discussion here as to the legitimacy of "Princess Consort", the repercussions of that being done going into the reigns of William and George etc. It concerns the monarchy and this is the wish of the present monarch for the monarchy as it continues into the future.

The timing, to me, was perfect.

The problem is though that HM The Queen Consort creates many of the same legal problems as HRH The Princess Consort with the added complication that it won't be well accepted by the public.

To me it is another PR mistake by the Prince of Wales, but since he seems to be in charge these days, he dragged his aging mother into it, on a day when the Queen, rather than Camilla, should have had the spotlight.

Sorry, but that is just how I feel.

The problem is though that HM The Queen Consort creates many of the same legal problems as HRH The Princess Consort with the added complication that it won't be well accepted by the public.

To me it is another PR mistake by the Prince of Wales, but since he seems to be in charge these days, he dragged his aging mother into it, on a day when the Queen, rather than Camilla, should have had the spotlight.

Queen consort is the correct title, Queen Elizabeth the queen mother was a queen consort. We do not use the consort part of the title in everyday use but it is the correct title, Catherine will be Queen Consort.
As there has never been a referendum on how the people feel about Camilla I am not sure how we can make blanket statements that this will not be accepted by the public.
I genuinely feel that judgements about the royals are made based on twitter posts and the like. I was a great fan of Diana, but Camilla has settled in to her role and proved a great support to Charles and the crown and I think she deserves the recognition

Last edited:

You're acting like HM the Queen is somewhat in a semi senile state, manipulated by her son and doesn't realize what's she's doing.

I don't buy that.

She knows exactly what she's doing : leading the way to the next reign. Period. And there's not a single legal problem with the title "Queen Consort", as this is the legit term, albeit rarely eplicitly used, to adress the spouse of a reigning king.

Last edited:
You're acting like HM the Queen is somewhat in a semi senile state, manipulated by her son and doesn't realize what's she's doing.

I don't buy that.

She knows exactly what she's doing : leading the way to the next reign. Period. And there's not a single legal problem with the title "Queen Consort", as this is the legit term, albeit rarely eplicitly used, to adress the spouse of a reigning king.

I replied in the Titles forum.

Think about it. Looking at the letter that was released today, if you notice her signature, it's Elizabeth R. R for Regnant. She's the Queen Regnant but when she's addressed, you will never hear the word regnant stated. She's known as Queen Elizabeth or Her Majesty, The Queen.

To me, the use of the words regnant or consort are traditionally with the Queen title as it denotes the difference between an actual, reigning monarch or the wife of a reigning monarch.

In this statement she also confirms that 'abdication' is not an option for her (but that is put in the shadow by the statement about Camilla). Clever way to silence the opposition on this issue. It's much easier for the popular queen who has been stressing the importance of having a supporting consort this year on several occasions because of her spouse's passing to make this known than for Charles to do so when the time comes.

Unexpected but happy for Camilla. The Queen is showing her support to Camilla (and Charles as always) explicitly here, if giving Camilla the Garter isn't clear enough to some people. Hopefully it can stop all the stupid rumours regarding her successor (even though some people will continue making another stupid stories:innocent:).

Nice statement and nice for Camilla's hard work and loyal service to be recognised.
All major news sources in the UK are reporting it as "Camilla will now be styled Queen". It is a perfectly good time to make the announcement and is entirely up to HM to say what she wishes. Being realistic this is likely her last Jubilee and so, as ever, HM puts Crown before herself and is looking to securing and shoring up the monarchy for the future.

Given that the press release's wording is "be known as Queen Consort" (emphasis added), and that the previous unofficial leak to the Telegraph stated that "the word 'consort' would always be used", my reading is that HM The Queen Consort is intended to be the actual usage, unlike previous British queens consort or Camilla's continental colleagues. But we will see if there will be further guidance from the palace, or possibly a second change of "intention/wish" at a later date.

While the wording seemed clear to me, Hannah Furness - the same royal correspondent who reported last week that "Queen Consort" would be used - now states that it is "Queen Camilla" and "the King and Queen" which will be used. She does not cite her source, but as other royal correspondents have written similar statements, I wonder if there was a briefing from the palace.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...ll-queen-charles-ascends-throne-says-majesty/

Her words confirm that the current Duchess of Cornwall will one day be known to the public as Queen Camilla, and addressed as “Her Majesty”.

She will be crowned side-by-side with her husband, with the couple henceforth called the “King and Queen”.

The style follows that of the Queen’s parents and grandparents, with the Queen Consorts of the 20th century known as Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra.

The Prince and Duchess were said to be “honoured and touched” by the Queen’s warm words.

Nearly all wives of Kings in the UK have been their Queen consort and know as Queen "so and so" with the style Majesty and anointed and crowned with them. Once again, established practice going back centuries

Congratulations to Her Majesty on her 70 years of selfless service to her country. I thought the announcement was very gracious. I was surprised that she addressed the issue of Camilla's future title so explicitly. The balcony appearance with Charles and his immediately family during the 60th jubilee was her acknowledgement that she would not live forever but it's obvious that the transition is very much on her mind, which is natural after Philip's death.

I don't think Charles has had to pressure her. The Queen is very traditional, and the wife of the king has always been known as the "Queen Consort." I don't know how the British public will feel about it but after 25 years, most people seemed to have moved on.

Traditionally the wife of The King has been known as The Queen. If Camilla is known (officially) as The Queen Consort, or if Charles is known as The King while Camilla is known as Queen Camilla, that will be a minor change from the tradition.

Traditionally the wife of The King has been known as The Queen. If Camilla is known (officially) as The Queen Consort, or if Charles is known as The King while Camilla is known as Queen Camilla, that will be a minor change from the tradition.

Nobody is saying she will be referred to officially as queen consort rather than queen, our present queen in her statement used queen consort which is the correct way to refer to the wife of a king.

Nobody is saying she will be referred to officially as queen consort rather than queen,

The unnamed source who spoke to Hannah Furness last week did say that, and the Queen's statement could be interpreted as saying that also.

Queen Elizabeth II asks for Camilla to be referred to as Queen Consort

Think about it. Looking at the letter that was released today, if you notice her signature, it's Elizabeth R. R for Regnant. She's the Queen Regnant but when she's addressed, you will never hear the word regnant stated. She's known as Queen Elizabeth or Her Majesty, The Queen.

The Queen's signature reads "Elizabeth R" for "Elizabeth Regina" - "Regina" is Latin for "Queen." Her mother, grandmother Mary, great-grandmother Alexandra - all Queens Consort - used the same "R" for "Regina." Other current European Queens and Queen Consorts do the same.

British Kings (and other European Kings past and present) also sign their names with the "R" but in this case it stands for "Rex" - Latin for "King."

To me, the use of the words regnant or consort are traditionally with the Queen title as it denotes the difference between an actual, reigning monarch or the wife of a reigning monarch.

Not Regnant but Regina (Latin for Queen).

It simply fits in the flow of the letter because she mentioned how she felt supported by a great Consort during her long Reign and would like her son and successor having a Queen Consort at his side.

I moved my post to another thread.

Although I agree that the Queen is not senile and been lead around - she knows that there is no reason to argue with the advice of her private secretary and increasingly more powerful of Charles staff - advisors and private secretary and pr guys. Yes - I expected this,simply because Charles has wanted it and the Pr teams has worked for years on it for great success , but the problem always was the public opinion which a note for the Queen clears up. [.....]

Back
Top Bottom