The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

All this means is that he will quietly slither back in probably in the Spring once the furor has died down.

I hope all of his patronages continue to announce they are disassociating with him regardless of this announcement.

I also wonder what more info is poised to come out...

Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

Wow! I understand this decision was necessary, but I hope it doesn’t negatively affect Beatrice’s wedding plans. She shouldn’t be collateral damage for her father’s poor decision making.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

As others have pointed out, probably the best solution, considering the circumstances.

It does raise some questions IMO:

Was it the very poorly handled interview that was, so to speak, the reason behind this decision?
Or do the BRF fear that more, and more incriminating, things will surface?
Did someone higher up in BRF hierarchy pull the plug on Andrew? In which case who? QEII? Charles? Family council? "Advise" from the government?
IMO I doubt Andrew himself would have taken this step on his own accord.

"Foreseeable future" suggest to me either a backdoor for Andrew to slowly return in expectation that this will blow over or, more ominously, a "face-saving phrase". I.e. he is finished as a working member of the BRF. But hasn't admit guilt or responsibility.

Does Andrew "retiring out" mean that further serious investigations into his conduct will be quietly put on hold? In other words: It's a deal: Andrew is out, in return the BRF is spared an "official" scandal.

That Andrew says he will continue to co-operate with the authorities in regards to investigations is not something I will put particular emphasis on. He can't say anything else.

Of course all this means that in the public view, and also in my eyes, Andrew having knowingly misbehaved so to speak, will go from a possibility to probably (or worse...)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Wow! I understand this decision was necessary, but I hope it doesn’t negatively affect Beatrice’s wedding plans. She shouldn’t be collateral damage for her father’s poor decision making.
Maybe he had Beatrice in mind when he made this decision. This cannot be easy for Beatrice and Eugenie. It might be easier for Beatrice now in the run-up to her wedding if her father is not in the public eye.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

It needed to be done.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Courtier

I have a strong suspicion that the discussion of the royal family within the election's leaders debate may have contributed to the decision.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was the right decision, but the cynical part of me wonders how and by whom the decision was made, if even now Andrew gets why the interview was a disaster, and how quickly he'll come slinking back.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
I have a strong suspicion that the discussion of the royal family within the election's leaders debate may have contributed to the decision.
Good point hel.

This was the appropriate step to take.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

A good decision ... at last !
Old 11-20-2019, 02:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
What was surprising to me was how ill prepared he seemed doing the interview, stumbling over questions, seeming to have no good answers to a couple of questions anyone should have known were coming, his overall demeanour, his seeming lack of consideration for the victims.. I could go on.

[...]

They need to hire an experienced Pitt bull and give him/her the authority to clean house. Everyone’s PR team ultimately reports to the Pitt bull, the Pitt bull reports directly to the Queen or The PoW. If anyone even looks sideways at the media without it being cleared by the the Pitt Bull, that person’s PR team is fired and the disobedient royal in question is now the direct responsibility of, you guessed it, the Pitt bull and their team. If the royal doesn’t like being put on a short leash? There’s the door.
I agree with you 100%. They need to consolidate the PR efforts and have one person in charge who has authority to say NO and fire individual PR as needed.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I feel like this is the right decision. He and the Queen had a responsibility to read the mood of the country and respond appropriately.

I sincerely hope that this doesn’t effect Beatrice and Eugenie and that they continue with charities, garden parties and Trooping etc.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post

You're probably right. He had left himself with no other options at this stage, really, and given that his rôle within 'the firm' is highly likely to become significantly lesser once his brother ascends the throne, I doubt if he'll ever figure much in the future. Early retirement beckons methinks.

Nonetheless, I find it highly ironic (and quite hard to understand) that large chunks of the same media that is fanning the flames of outrage is merrily supporting a proven liar and philanderer in his campaign for power in the UK.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Aristocracy

I think Prince Andrew showed in his interview how out of step some members of the RF are. I missed why he gave the interview in the first place. But he was clearly unprepared and uncomfortable.
The lure of rich and powerful people can affect even a prince. Jeffrey Einstein was rich and powerful.
The prince should have ended all contact after the first conviction.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its been a PR disaster for the Palace and has gone on too long ,this decision should have come sooner .

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post

I agree, I think this decision has been done to save what they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
As others have pointed out, probably the best solution, considering the circumstances.

It does raise some questions IMO:

Was it the very poorly handled interview that was, so to speak, the reason behind this decision?

Or do the BRF fear that more, and more incriminating, things will surface?

Did someone higher up in BRF hierarchy pull the plug on Andrew? In which case who? QEII? Charles? Family council? "Advise" from the government?

IMO I doubt Andrew himself would have taken this step on his own accord.

I 100% think the interview is the only reason Andrew is stepping back. He shouldn’t have done the interview to start with, he wanted it as his clear the air announcement but he just made things worse.

I have no doubt that Charles and other members of the RF have had a hand in this decision.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I was surprised, but it was the best decision without a doubt.
This decision must have come from the Queen and Prince Charles, and the Duke of York was forced to accept to protect the Royal Family and ultimately the monarchy.
I want to believe that the Duke of York is innocent and this will all be resolved.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:30 PM
Royal Highness

I think a come to Jesus meeting happened at Buckingham Palace with Andrew, the queen, Charles (via Skype ?) and government officials. The queen and Charles came for Andrew for dragging the House of Windsor through the mud; the government for potentially damaging diplomatic relations with the U.S. and France over this mess. Andrew's promise to cooperate - until he is on American and French soils speaking to their prosecutors it's an empty promise.

It's still early to tell if the BRF can come back from this. This is not a run of the mill cheating scandal. The investigations will go on.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

The fall out following the interview has been so bad that it soon became apparent that this was the only damage limitation option available. I’d love to know who made the decision-certainly not Andrew whose self delusion was only too evident during the interview.
Although I wish Beatrice well in her forthcoming nuptials, in the interests of the greater good, I feel a small private wedding is appropriate.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this is why we don't officially know yet what Beatrice's wedding plans will be. I think for the past couple of months the Yorks have been watching to see if the Epstein saga would die down enough for a public wedding to be feesable. I think we know the answer to that one now.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I agree . It is clearly a witch hunt.

So far I have not seen any evidence that Andrew has lied about being at a pizza express party at the time when Virginia alleges they were together. Yet, everybody here assumes he is guilty of having sex with a trafficked minor.
Andrew offered several easily disproven reasons why he could not have had sex with the 17 year old, I wouldn’t call it a witch hunt for the press to publish evidence disproving Andrew’s claims. Andrew’s alibi was that he took Beatrice to the pizza party in the afternoon and after that he was home with the children - so proving that he was at a pizza party earlier in the day would not provide an alibi for that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I have no doubt that Charles and other members of the RF have had a hand in this decision.
Charles is thousands of miles away in New Zealand - but I assume there were phone calls. We’ll never know, but I too am curious about the dynamics - was William involved, Edward, Anne, Phillip?