The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-16-2019, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Andrew is 100% guilty of continuing his friendship with Epstein AFTER Epstein was convicted, jailed and released from prison. That's not being gullible. That means Andrew knowingly being friends with a convicted child sex trafficker.
Epstein was not convicted of being a child sex trafficker in 2008. He was under charged but nonetheless, the convictions were for soliciting for prostitution. He got a light sentence with very favorable work release terms, which also made it seem not as bad as it was.
He was charged with sex trafficking in 2019.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Emily Maitland has just given a short interview with BBC breakfast about the circumstances surrounding the interview. Paraphrasing her words she said the go ahead had been given on Tuesday evening having received clearance from the highest level which she assumed meant the Queen. She talked about this being after several months of news reports and seemed to imply that an interview had been requested during this time. The interview took place in Buckingham Palace on Thursday.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Epstein was not convicted of being a child sex trafficker in 2008. He was under charged but nonetheless, the convictions were for soliciting for prostitution. He got a light sentence with very favorable work release terms, which also made it seem not as bad as it was.

Thank you!

Another example of trial by media when the timelines are all wrong.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Epstein pleaded guilty and was convicted in 2008 by a Florida state court of procuring an underage girl for prostitution and of soliciting a prostitute. UNDERAGE being the key word.
I'm curious to know what would make it seem worse? Procuring underage girl for prostitution sounds pretty horrible to me. And Andrew was fully aware of this.

(In my book procuring underage girls, who legally can't consent, for prostitution, is sex trafficking, but I'm no legal genius.)
Old 11-16-2019, 05:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Emily Maitland has just given a short interview with BBC breakfast about the circumstances surrounding the interview. Paraphrasing her words she said the go ahead had been given on Tuesday evening having received clearance from the highest level which she assumed meant the Queen. She talked about this being after several months of news reports and seemed to imply that an interview had been requested during this time. The interview took place in Buckingham Palace on Thursday.
Andrew seems to be seeking forgiveness for lack of judgement or poor judgement. The purpose of the interview will be to stop this journalistic process from developing further. But his contribution is just another inflammatory intervention that is going to keep this issue current and topical - what next?

Andrew should have followed his maternal grandmother's rule: 'Never complain, never explain'.

His paternal grandmother probably said something similar.

The correct path would have been to hunker down into a period of obscurity engaged in unseen charity work or doing genuinely public service for 5 years. It would have been a 'sentence' worth serving to mend his reputation. Then agin, maybe a low profile doing good works would be too hard for him.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Underaged. Minor. Andrew knew that and still thought it was convenient and honorable to still stay with this man in his home. His good friend.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Would you please have a link to share to such BBC Breakfast interview?
Old 11-16-2019, 07:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbies View Post
Would you please have a link to share to such BBC Breakfast interview?
This is not from the Breakfast interview but saying the same thing at about 1 min in

https://twitter.com/monarchyuk/statu...261019137?s=21
Old 11-16-2019, 08:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

He's toasted, big time.
He was unpopular before, and this story will follow him until the end of the days.
He's too arrogant to step aside by himself, so i guess someone has to gently tell him that the party is over.
Goodbye Andrew, it was fun.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Odd to see some people criticising the BBC for airing this. Emily Matlis has made clear numerous times the questions were not vetted by the Palace, but some people thing she is lying for some reason? People assume she must be in cahoots with them because she asks tough questions but without screaming and shouting. She is a well respected journalist. This programme is part of BBC's Newsnight which does tough interviews like this (i.e about highly controversial issues that are ongoing legal cases) all the time, she knows how to get the questions answered which is surely better than going in all guns blazing and Andrew walking out saying no more. Yes he probably should be answering questions from the Police/FBI as well (I'm not aware that they have asked to and he has said no so not sure again why people have such different standards of procedure that Andrew should just knock on police station door and demand to be interviewed)

I think Andrew is reprehensible for keeping any contact with Epstein after the 2008 conviction, whether for prostitution or whatever, is showed the type of character Epstein was and should have been a warning sign to walk away. Incidentally there were warning signs all over the media that there was more to it. To me that can't be talked away with "letting the Queen down". What about letting your girls down? Does he think Epstein did anything wrong or does he just mean that getting caught was letting the Queen down because of the bad PR. I will wait to see more with interest but I don' think the interview will do him good tbh but kudos to the BBC for getting it out there.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

More calls (from various royal watchers) that he should retire from public life after this interview.

Sarah popping up talking about how great Andrew is (shoulder to the wind blah blah) isn't helping him either. It has been said Sarah took money from Epstein (a loan or something) does anyone know if this is accurate?

I haven't seen the interview yet but from all reports it doesn't sound like anything positive came from it.

LaRae
Old 11-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

the interview hasn't even been broadcast yet, its on at 9pm tonight on BBC2.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm withholding most comment until after the interview is broadcast, because these kind of early reports are not always accurate reflections of what was said or how the principals come across, but Andrew has a long and inglorious history of abysmal judgment, and on the surface this appears to be more of the same.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I will wait to see full interview before commenting further but a good look at why the interview may not help, https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...strophic-error

I especially agree with this part:

Mark Stephens, who represented James Hewitt after his alleged affair with Princess Diana, said: “This strategy only works if you’ve got a complete and full answer to every possible question, and here there are too many loose ends.

It seems odd to me to agree to do an interview and have no better answer than "I don't remember". These interviews work when, sadly, you give everything so there are no more questions to ask and you get out in front of it. It doesn't work as well, IMO, when your answers create even more questions.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Majesty

As for Sarah, yes she did receive a loan from Epstein, about 14,000 pounds for her most pressing debts. She was drowning in a sea of debt at the time and apparently he helped her restructure her finances. Sarah was noted as being flown to Epstein's island as a passenger and stayed there at one time as well.

Later on when the scandal broke she said she regretted taking the loan. It's not known if she paid it back though. Apparently Epstein threatened to sue her at one point because she referred to him as 'a Paedo' in a conversation.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fergie...-epsteins-cash

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...andrew-lawsuit
Old 11-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Andrew and Sarah really are a pair aren't they? There's no contrition here I'm afraid only regret that they may now have to suffer for their transgressions.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMO they are sorry they got caught, and I believe that and I believe they are genuinely sorry for the fact its dragged the RF and by default HM into it. Watching the interview I get that a lot, but not much else.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I'm withholding most comment until after the interview is broadcast, because these kind of early reports are not always accurate reflections of what was said or how the principals come across, but Andrew has a long and inglorious history of abysmal judgment, and on the surface this appears to be more of the same.

I agree with you, but I don't have to withhold comment because just the very fact that he agreed to do an interview is a big, big BIG mistake. I suppose, his arrogance convinces him that he can control the perception in some way. The clips I have seen remind me of Princess Diana's sad interview....and perhaps he thought to emulate her in some may....but he is no Princess Diana!!
Old 11-16-2019, 05:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

"as a member of the royal family I rarely have my photo taken with other people with my arm around them"

Happy to pull the RF role when he thinks it gives him more authority despite the fact he says he doesn't want to embarrass the RF.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh my god! This is actually WORSE than I expected. He doesn't seem to care. He doesn't regret anything. Wow. And the palace thought this would be a good idea. He just convinced me more than ever he knows plenty and but knows his very privileged self will be protected. Disgusting interview. What were they thinking?!!