Princess Eugenie, Jack Brooksbank and Family, Current Events 1: Oct 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen must have her reasons we are not privy to and this will have almost certainly been discussed with her advisors at some point and possibly Charles as he will be the one they will be working under mostly.

The Queen must have her reasons we are not privy to and this will have almost certainly been discussed with her advisors at some point and possibly Charles as he will be the one they will be working under mostly.

It feels like a reaction to Sarah, rather than anything to do with the lovely young women Beatrice and Eugenie have become.

Sad thing is why is it unofficial? It costs nothing for them to recognize her work in the CC. She already does it on her own dime.

In reality it would benefit them. People over look Eugenie and Bea's work as they get no recognition. Makes it easy to paint them as the 'party girls', well Eugenie less now married. And the charities they support get less attention. It would certainly benefit the royal family and the charities, to simply include the girls in the CC. And would cost nothing.
Do we know that Eugenie does it on her own dime, ie she paid for her trip to Austria? I believe that usually in these cases the charity represented pays for the trip. If she were appearing officially on behalf of the RF then the RF would pay for her trip and the UK would pay for her security while appearing for the RF as they do with the Queen’s cousins. My suspicion is that the budget simply isn’t large enough to subsidize the minor Royal’s charitable activities. The Queen already supports herself & Phillip’s activities, Anne’s and occasionally Tim’s appearances, Andrew’s, Edward and Sophie’s and to a lesser degree her cousins. Eugenie certainly donates her time and by choosing to patronize certain charities as a private individual she is free to pick those which interest her. I think it reflects very positively on her and would not be surprised to see her called upon occasionally to fill in officially during her Uncle’s reign (or her cousin’s) as the Queen’s cousins age out of that role. I’m hoping we’ll see her at a state dinner in a tiara before long :flowers:

It feels like a reaction to Sarah, rather than anything to do with the lovely young women Beatrice and Eugenie have become.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Sarah or Andrew at all. When we stop to think about it, out of all the grandchildren that HM has, its only William and Harry that have taken on full time work for the "Firm". Anne's children all have their own specific interests. Andrew's children have their own interests and I imagine as Edward's children enter adulthood, they'll have their own too.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that what we're actually seeing is the "Firm's" plan of a slimmed down monarchy and the number of full time, working royals. Perhaps it hasn't always been intentional but it seems to be the way things are going. ?

Agreed :flowers:She has done a wonderful job of literally being a working royal.

No she isn't a 'working royal' as in paid to be a full time royal. But she does more, she works a full time job and she balances that with a number of patronages. Her and Bea have around as many as Kate (think Bea has more). They both have embraced ones they have a real passion for. And it shows.

Eugenie is indeed an asset to the family. Even if not recognized for it. ?

It is more like Princess Margriet or Prince Constantijn in the Netherlands: they have never ever received any cent of apanage but do royal engagements so now and then while pursuing their own life. (Of course anything in connection to their occasional royal function is reimbursed by the King and they are provided with all assistance, logistics, transportation, security and facilities).

I think that arrangement is more or less the same with Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, I believe they receive no income either from the Civil List. I can see Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugenie going that route as well.

Last edited:
I think the saddest part of the work that Eugenie does is that she never gets kudos for what she does by the public and the press. Eugenie does what she does as far as charitable work because she *wants* to rather than because she's expected to do it or because she's receiving compensation for doing it. The same with Beatrice.

I would imagine that perhaps, as mentioned earlier, that part of her expenses would be paid for by the charity itself but basically the York princesses do what they do because they're giving back rather than doing what is expected of them.

I think the saddest part of the work that Eugenie does is that she never gets kudos for what she does by the public and the press. Eugenie does what she does as far as charitable work because she *wants* to rather than because she's expected to do it or because she's receiving compensation for doing it. The same with Beatrice.

I would imagine that perhaps, as mentioned earlier, that part of her expenses would be paid for by the charity itself but basically the York princesses do what they do because they're giving back rather than doing what is expected of them.

To me that is the correct form of charity: it comes out of the heart. Not because one is a Princess and supposed to have charities indeed. Good for the York princesses, that it are their own choices.

To me that is the correct form of charity: it comes out of the heart. Not because one is a Princess and supposed to have charities indeed. Good for the York princesses, that it are their own choices.

I think the original poster would entirely agree that the princess's charitable work without consideration of recognition or expectations is to her credit. Whether those who refuse to recognize that she carries out such work are acting correctly is a question of its own with different considerations.

I agree with you, Duc. Perhaps in the future if there is a slimmed down monarchy where its only the main line working for the "Firm" and the other royals are perceived as doing what they do out of the goodness of their hearts, it would have quite a positive effect all around.

Doing it this way, I think, shows that the members of the royal family's intent is to give back to the people even more than working for the "Firm" and appearing in the Court Circular.

Eugenie and Jack really have the best of both worlds. They're private citizens and can manage their lives as they choose but also have the perk of easy access to the world's stage when it comes to charities and organizations and issues they wish to call attention to.

I think the original poster would entirely agree that the princess's charitable work without consideration of recognition or expectations is to her credit. Whether those who refuse to recognize that she carries out such work are acting correctly is a question of its own with different considerations.

Considering the way some of the royal family are being treated in the press these days, perhaps its a blessing that they're not picking apart at the seams the work the York princesses do. There's just too much negativity floating around for my taste lately. ;)

Last edited:
It's much better that Eugenie & Beatrice remain non-working Royals. They seem like lovely young women who are conscious of their privileged background & wish to use their position for good. However, as a UK tax payer, I'm not willing to fund the security costs for them to do that role officially. We already have more than enough working royals & I'm in favour of Charles' slimmed down plans. I haven't checked recent polls on this but I'd be surprised if mine is a minority view in the UK.

Now you come to mention it, both Beatrice and Eugenie had a hell of a life from the media. Nothing was out of bounds albeit their intellect, their weight, their taste in fashion at a very young age. You name it, they were slated for it.

They were a target of opportunity and it wasn't until William and Catherine married that a little of the press cut down to make space for how wonderful Catherine was but, it is a tribute to Andrew and Sarah that their girls handled years of hostility and bashing with a grace and charm far beyond that which one would expect from young women of their ages.

I love that Beatrice's smile is a pure joy to see and that with her marriage, Eugenie is becoming more confident in her job and even more so in her charity work. It's like she knows that Jack's got her back and she's not discreetly hiding her light under a bushel any more. She is who she is, take it or leave it. And she is a credit to the BRF.

Marg, I do so agree with you. I always thought the sisters got a real bad deal in the media. No matter what they did it was pulled apart by the ignorant probably because they didn't care for their mother all that much. Case of children paying for the sins of the parents even though children completely innocent. Shame but done all the time. I too am extremely sick of all the negativity in this world today, whether in politics, entertainment, sports or royals. Very few uplifting stories anymore. Someone always either leaking scandals or making up false news. Hopefully all this will change soon.

Now you come to mention it, both Beatrice and Eugenie had a hell of a life from the media. Nothing was out of bounds albeit their intellect, their weight, their taste in fashion at a very young age. You name it, they were slated for it.

They were a target of opportunity and it wasn't until William and Catherine married that a little of the press cut down to make space for how wonderful Catherine was but, it is a tribute to Andrew and Sarah that their girls handled years of hostility and bashing with a grace and charm far beyond that which one would expect from young women of their ages.

I love that Beatrice's smile is a pure joy to see and that with her marriage, Eugenie is becoming more confident in her job and even more so in her charity work. It's like she knows that Jack's got her back and she's not discreetly hiding her light under a bushel any more. She is who she is, take it or leave it. And she is a credit to the BRF.

You are 100% correct!

Sadly I agree with you. The York girls have always had a reputation for going on more holidays than royal engagements, and even though both Beatrice and Eugenie are now very dedicated to the charities and organisations they're involved with, they still won't get much credit for them because there simply isn't a big public interest for the princesses, and when there is, this particular reputation is still being carried with them. Beatrice and Eugenie do so much work that gets swept under the rug because of this and it's a real shame.

Sadly I agree with you. The York girls have always had a reputation for going on more holidays than royal engagements, and even though both Beatrice and Eugenie are now very dedicated to the charities and organisations they're involved with, they still won't get much credit for them because there simply isn't a big public interest for the princesses, and when there is, this particular reputation is still being carried with them. Beatrice and Eugenie do so much work that gets swept under the rug because of this and it's a real shame.
Case in point: last week Beatrice visited the Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre in her capacity as Patron, spent time with the students and had tea with Ms. Arkell. What story did the Fail have the next day? Beatrice speaking with students about her own challenges with dyslexia, how she completed her university degree and got her job and letting the students know they can succeed too? No, of course not! The story, with less-than-flattering photos (the usual open-mouthed or wide-eyes) was about Beatrice and her boyfriend eating at a "trendy night spot." :glare:

In my view Eugenie and Beatrice are doing what people in their position should be doing, and for the right reasons. They are doing charitable works not because it is a job they are paid to do and therefore have to do but because they want to do it. They both feel the need to discharge the social obligation that falls on those of noble birth to help those less fortunate, and from their behaviour over the years I don't think they see that as a burden but a privilege.

It doesn't help that the public tend to be a bit sheep like when it comes to media. Not all but a lot. :bang:

Many of their so called 'vacations' were not vacations at all. The media only prints their trips when they can swing them as a vacation. 'Eugenie at a fancy cocktail party in Florida' was actually Eugenie in Florida for a week at an art show her gallery was putting on. Beatrice 'out for dinner with a fashion designer in NY' was actually in NY to present an award from the UN to an eye doctor she had done work with in India. Beatrice hanging out in the swiss alps, when she is actually at the economic forumn. Or 'on holiday on the beach in Italy' when competing in a triathalon for Big Change.

Beatrice's trip to India and Nepal for eye disease? Not covered in any major paper. Why? No way to swing the holiday angle.

Roslyn, I agree, totally. I see Beatrice and Eugenie enjoying charitable works and I see the recipients benefiting - as intended. That is the best outcome.

Last edited:
I always think Fergie is mostly to blame for the way her daughters are depicted.
I believe she did them a LOT of damage, as much as she professes to adore them.

The public disapproval of her carries over and impacts them.
Unfortunate, but there it is.

:previous: Thing is, for all her faults and for all the blunders and bad choices she has made - and this applies to Andrew, too - Sarah and Andrew have raised their daughters to have the right values. The girls both clearly adore their parents, and enjoy spending time with them both socially not just for purely family occasions, and that speaks well for Sarah and Andrew as parents regardless of their personal failings, IMO.

Andrew has had his fair share of black marks. It's not just because of Fergi the girls have been 'tarnished' a bit.

LaRae

Case in point: last week Beatrice visited the Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre in her capacity as Patron, spent time with the students and had tea with Ms. Arkell. What story did the Fail have the next day? Beatrice speaking with students about her own challenges with dyslexia, how she completed her university degree and got her job and letting the students know they can succeed too? No, of course not! The story, with less-than-flattering photos (the usual open-mouthed or wide-eyes) was about Beatrice and her boyfriend eating at a "trendy night spot." :glare:

I noticed that there weren't many reports about Beatrice's engagement with the Dyslexia Centre either (if it weren't for TRF I wouldn't have even known that she performed the engagement). That's how the tabloids, particularly the Fail, work sadly - they like to include all the "juicy bits" that will make the majority of their audience click but purposefully ignore the important work the princesses (and other royals) do.

Quite often, the York ladies embark on a night out at London hotspots the night after a day that includes Royal Duty, like garden parties, Flower Show, Trooping.... Check the dates.

They attend these daytime Royal events in a Royal capacity, as they stand at attention with HM or the DoY when the national anthem is played. As daughters of Prince Andrew, this is no surprise. What is a surprise is the ladies usually heading out for a night on the town after what was their Royal appearance. Nobody should do that.

When they roll into raucous London nightclubs mere hours after standing front and center at BP when the National Anthem is played, what is the gain .. or privilege of meeting a York daughter at Buck House when she will be all jolly at a predictable public nightspot mere hours later. The idea, isn't it, is to make one's self … exclusive.

What is a surprise is the ladies usually heading out for a night on the town after what was their Royal appearance. Nobody should do that.

I don't even know what to say to that. Being a princess doesn't preclude going out to a club with friends after your family duty is finished for the day.

Do we know that Eugenie does it on her own dime, ie she paid for her trip to Austria? I believe that usually in these cases the charity represented pays for the trip. If she were appearing officially on behalf of the RF then the RF would pay for her trip and the UK would pay for her security while appearing for the RF as they do with the Queen’s cousins. My suspicion is that the budget simply isn’t large enough to subsidize the minor Royal’s charitable activities. The Queen already supports herself & Phillip’s activities, Anne’s and occasionally Tim’s appearances, Andrew’s, Edward and Sophie’s and to a lesser degree her cousins. Eugenie certainly donates her time and by choosing to patronize certain charities as a private individual she is free to pick those which interest her. I think it reflects very positively on her and would not be surprised to see her called upon occasionally to fill in officially during her Uncle’s reign (or her cousin’s) as the Queen’s cousins age out of that role. I’m hoping we’ll see her at a state dinner in a tiara before long :flowers:

If she was sent on an official trip for the RF yes they would pay for it. But most of her work is local, and doesn't require a trip. And her security is paid for by her father. Security doesn't come out of the pocket of working royals anyways. Its tax payer funded.

The queen has two major sources of income. Both the sovereign's grant, and the Duchy of Lancaster. The sovereign's grant helps fund the work of the queen and any of her family other then Charles. The amount increases every year. This will not stop (the increase) even when the members of working royals decrease through retirement. The grant will be just as large for fewer members doing less work. The Duchy of Lancaster covers the rest of the queen's needs. The Duchy of Cornwall covers Charles and his family.

My point was to give her recognition on the CC doesn't require any money. She manages to do her charity work without having staff and all the other things that go with being a working royal. There is no office and staff for them to fund. Its simply the time it takes to add her name to the CC.

All royals are free to choose what charities interest them.

My point was to give her recognition on the CC doesn't require any money. She manages to do her charity work without having staff and all the other things that go with being a working royal. There is no office and staff for them to fund. Its simply the time it takes to add her name to the CC.

All royals are free to choose what charities interest them.
I’m well aware of the sources of funding for the RF. My remarks in that regard where musings about why the York princesses have not been slotted to become working Royals.
The CC is defined by the RF as reporting official Royal events https://www.royal.uk/court-circular-0, I assume that because Eugenie’s trip wasn’t an official royal appearance it was not reported in the CC.
Perhaps when Charles or William become king they will broaden the nature of what is reported in the CC, but the Queen seems to follow tradition in regards to what gets reported in the CC, thus it’s not about the time or staff required to insert Eugenie’s name, rather, a minor royal appearing at a private charity event doesn’t meet the definition of what should be reported.

:previous: The CC is not just for 'official royal events' :ermm:

90% or more of what the royals do are 'private charity events'. Their visits to charities and such are all private events. And if you look at the CC, these are all included in the CC. The only ones that are not are when they are trips abroad that aren't 'invitation' trips. If they haven't been invited by the government of the country they are visiting, they are private and not in the CC. Eugenie's 'minor private visits' as you call them are the same as the events for the Cambridges, Harry, Meghan, Anne and so on that appear in the CC.

As for 'minor royal', the Gloucesters and Kents appear in the CC. As the granddaughter of the reigning monarch, she is not more minor then they are.

So yes, its simply a matter of adding her name in the CC. No extra money is required. She doesn't require a staff like the Gloucesters and Kents get.

...The only ones that are not are when they are trips abroad that aren't 'invitation' trips. If they haven't been invited by the government of the country they are visiting, they are private and not in the CC. Eugenie's 'minor private visits' as you call them...
Please reread my post - I said “a minor Royal [which Eugenie is] appearing at a private charity event...” I in no way suggested that Eugenie’s attendance at the event or that the event itself was minor. Indeed I remarked in my first post about the event that she was to be commended for attending and expressed the thought that in the future she might be called upon to make the occasional official appearance.
Since this appearance happened in Austria it wouldn’t have appeared in the CC according to your interpretation in any case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom