The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2021, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

For all we know Eugenie may be planning a trip to Australia for work (she has traveled for the art gallery and perhaps they are doing a project there). Or one of her charity organizations. She wouldn't be the first non-working royal to be in Australia for business. Zara and Mike have gone numerous times, usually around Christmas they are down there the last few years.

Someone may have over heard and thought 'oh they are getting sent'.

There is no way that a royal will ever be named GG again. The days when a foreigner are appointed are long over.

In Canada we currently have our Chief Justice filling in until they sort out who to replace Payette with. Our last British GG was the 1st Earl Alexander of Tunis who left office in 1952. And the last time we had a royal-related was right before him, with the Earl of Althone (husband of Princess Alice, brother of Queen Mary).

Old 01-30-2021, 01:34 PM
Courtier

We have to wait and see. If any of this is true. Pss Eugenie I think would be good in representing the Queen. She and her sister are in the public light all their life. The papers write lots of stories. Fist comes the little one.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
We have to wait and see. If any of this is true. Pss Eugenie I think would be good in representing the Queen. She and her sister are in the public light all their life. The papers write lots of stories. Fist comes the little one.
She's not going to be representing the queen. She and Beatrice have never been considered as working royals.. and now she is married, and having a baby, she's essentially a private person with her own private life to lead.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She's not going to be representing the queen. She and Beatrice have never been considered as working royals.. and now she is married, and having a baby, she's essentially a private person with her own private life to lead.
It is clear that Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are considered private citizens, but I do not think their marital status is pertinent to that. As we have seen with the Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra, the British royal family does not expect princesses to automatically retire into private life when they marry. The decision to consider the York princesses as private citizens was made long before their marriages.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:05 AM
Majesty

Yes but I suspect that Andrew did want them working.. and if the ages had been different, if Harry had dropped out of Royal life some few years ago whne they were younger, there might have been some possibility that Charles and the queen would make use of the Yorks to fill in... at least for a few years. However now they're both married, and I think neither of them want those responsibiltiies....
Old 02-01-2021, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes but I suspect that Andrew did want them working.. and if the ages had been different, if Harry had dropped out of Royal life some few years ago whne they were younger, there might have been some possibility that Charles and the queen would make use of the Yorks to fill in... at least for a few years. However now they're both married, and I think neither of them want those responsibiltiies....
If they had become working royals before marriage, it doesn't seem likely to me that they would have wanted or been expected to give up their responsibilities upon marriage. That did not happen for any working members of the British royal family who married in the last few decades, as far as I recall.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
If they had become working royals before marriage, it doesn't seem likely to me that they would have wanted or been expected to give up their responsibilities upon marriage. That did not happen for any working members of the British royal family who married in the last few decades, as far as I recall.
Times change... Charles is IMO very keen on cutting back.. and if say Harry had married some years ago and done his disappearing act.. I think its possible that Ch and the queen would have asked for some help from Be and Eugenie, on a need to be used basis, and that it would not go on forever.. And I don't think they would be keen on going on with it, once they were married and having babies so that would be a natural stopping point.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And I don't think they would be keen on going on with it, once they were married and having babies so that would be a natural stopping point.
Do you mean they would become less keen after marriage because they would prefer devoting themselves to raising their children (though that apparently wasn't an issue for Harry)? Or that their husbands would not be supportive of their continuing as working royals?
Old 02-01-2021, 07:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Do you mean they would become less keen after marriage because they would prefer devoting themselves to raising their children (though that apparently wasn't an issue for Harry)? Or that their husbands would not be supportive of their continuing as working royals?
I'd imagine that they wouldn't want to have royal duties when they had babies, I think that they might have enjoyed it a bit as single girls with no major responsibitlies... Harry was completely different as he was always supposed to take up royal duties when he finished his army career...
Old 02-01-2021, 12:59 PM
Courtier

Well this one has turned into a firestorm. I have the impression that some people really don't want to see them help out or work for the "FIRM". If the Queen ask them I believe they would be more then happy to help out. Their representation would not be less important to the people, then from any other member of the family. Or does anyone think otherwise?
Old 02-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There's no firestorm. This has all started basically because of a rumor in an Australian magazine of "lesser repute".

I just find the idea, at least to me, preposterous. Both the moving to Australia part and the representing the Queen part. If HM had wanted more representation in the "Firm", I think she would have done so by now with the exit of both Andrew and the Sussexes and it never happened. Both Beatrice and Eugenie are pretty well set with their lives, their careers and now marriage and one starting a family and one having a "ready made family".

Even with the pandemic, the "Firm" has been shown to have no holes in it and lack of representation. They've continued on without their "fugitives" quite nicely.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
Well this one has turned into a firestorm. I have the impression that some people really don't want to see them help out or work for the "FIRM". If the Queen ask them I believe they would be more then happy to help out. Their representation would not be less important to the people, then from any other member of the family. Or does anyone think otherwise?
dont know what you mean by a firestorm. Its not going to happen.. Its a silly story... and generally, Bea and Eugenie are not overly popular... so nobody wants them to take on royal duties... The queen isn't going to ask them.. but if she did, I think they'd be reluctant at this stage of their lives to take on royal duties.. Maybe if they'd been asked when they were just out of college, they might have liked the idea.. but over several years, I think that they have their own lives and dont want to give them up for royal duties...and they have gone from fairly unpopular to not popular but tolerated.. if they were to take on royal work now, they'd get hte usual amount of criticism and bad press and Im sure they dont want it at this stage of their lives.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

In Princess Alexandra's day, upper-class women were expected to do charity work whether they were royal or not. Duchesses and countesses would do "good work" within the areas near their own homes. So doing royal duties was a fairly obvious step for her to take anyway. And Princess Anne, when she left school, was a monarch's daughter, not granddaughter. Times have changed, and Beatrice and Eugenie are a step further from the throne anyway.

I doubt they'll want to take on royal duties. And they might have concerns over all the media pressure that higher profile royals get. Look at all the hassle that Beatrice got over the hat she wore for William and Kate's wedding. It was only a hat!
Old 02-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Serene Highness

I really would love for Eugenie to became a full time royal - but I think the time for that has passed. The tabloids have been pushing this replace the Sussex's for a while now - the other day it was James. They are just filling pages and more click bait. But realistically do you think Charles would allow this. Maybe when William is King - but how many years away will that be? There is just too much stink around Andrew and too much demand for a smaller core group of royals.
And yes - honestly do they even want it.

I doubt any of the lesser royals - from the Wessex's down give a damn.
I do however expect some of the Queen's grand children to move away to the world - like Zara to Australia, lots of rugby options there.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

The idea of Zara and Mike moving to Australia has been mooted before - with Zara doing some equestrian work on the Gold Coast and Mike coaching rugby. I am sure I read/heard somewhere that they were thinking about it but not until after Zara has retired from competitive equestrian activities, which I suspect will be sooner rather than later now that she won't be competing at the next Olympics.

I doubt very much whether Australians would welcome a full/part time royal living here however and doing 'official duties'. Living here and paying their own way is one thing but to be 'representing' the Queen will only speed up the republican movement.

I don't think either Beatrice or Eugenie will ever work for the royal family (more than they do now). I remember the reports from 2012 when Beatrice asked Charles and William if she could do more during the Jubilee year and she was told she wasn't 'wanted or needed'. Hearing that would be sufficient for most people to say 'no' if ever asked to help as the help was refused when initially offered.

I think the girls are settled. The medial has done an excellent job of making them despised at best in the UK and due to their father there is no way they would be able to undertake any official duty without his unsavoury friendship coming up ... remember Beatrice couldn't even release a photo of her father with her on her wedding day and I suspect that we would have had only those same pictures if she had married at St James as well.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Eugenie as founder of Anti-Slavery Collective:

"Our co-founders, HRH @princesseugenie and Julia de Boinville, wanted to take the opportunity to remember the anniversary of the 2004 Morecambe Bay cockling disaster."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6SNZ5lBE2/
Old 02-05-2021, 02:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The idea of Zara and Mike moving to Australia has been mooted before - with Zara doing some equestrian work on the Gold Coast and Mike coaching rugby. I am sure I read/heard somewhere that they were thinking about it but not until after Zara has retired from competitive equestrian activities, which I suspect will be sooner rather than later now that she won't be competing at the next Olympics.

I doubt very much whether Australians would welcome a full/part time royal living here however and doing 'official duties'. Living here and paying their own way is one thing but to be 'representing' the Queen will only speed up the republican movement.

The Queen is already represented in Australia by the state governors and the Governor-General of the Commonwealth, all of whom hold office under a royal commission. I don't think there is any provision in the constitution of Australia for a "representation" role for a resident member of the Royal Family unless he/she of course is appointed a state governor or Governor-General.

There is no impediment, however, to Eugenie and Jack moving to Australia and living there as private citizens provided they comply with Australian immigration laws.

We already had a similar conversation when Harry and Meghan were assumed to be moving to Canada.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The Queen is already represented in Australia by the state governors and the Governor-General of the Commonwealth, all of whom hold office under a royal commission. I don't think there is any provision in the constitution of Australia for a "representation" role for a resident member of the Royal Family unless he/she of course is appointed a state governor or Governor-General.

There is no impediment, however, to Beatrice and Jack moving to Australia and living there as private citizens provided they comply with Australian immigration laws.

We already had a similar conversation when Harry and Meghan were assumed to be moving to Canada.
That would be a most interesting development: Beatrice and Eugenie switching husbands before one of them moves to Australia
Old 02-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That would be a most interesting development: Beatrice and Eugenie switching husbands before one of them moves to Australia
Sorry about that. You know I meant Eugenie of course.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Welcome to the club, Mbruno. You're not the first to mix up the Yorks. I've done it a few times myself.

Tags
current events, jack brooksbank, princess eugenie