The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #901  
Old 02-09-2020, 06:54 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I don't think any one of them need more than 1 reception.
Neither do I, but it seems to be the fashion among the wealthy who like to splash their money around on such things.

I think it has something to do with the fact they have the wedding in the middle of the day. If they had the ceremony in the late afternoon they could just have a night-time reception and do away with the lunch-time event. As it is if they just had the luncheon do they would all be sitting around cooling their heels by 5pm wondering what to do with themselves for the evening, all dressed up and nowhere to go. So they have another party. I'm too old now for a day-night match like that. It sounds exhausting.
__________________

__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 02-09-2020, 07:22 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Treviso, Italy
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
In the British royal family, a woman who marries Archie will become HRH Princess Archie of Sussex, even though her position will be equivalent to that of Edo Mapelli Mozzi and Jack Brooksbank.
• I don’t think Archie will be Prince, despite it would’ve automatic with The Queen’s passing. Harry and Meghan seem to want him a private citizen, way more private that Lady Louise and Viscount Severn, e.g. •

Maybe B and Edo May will marry in the afternoon and the BP reception includes some dinner.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #903  
Old 02-09-2020, 07:47 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 14,597
I think too that when a couple is more well known and has a very wide circle of family, friends, acquaintances and business associates, it almost becomes a necessity to have different various functions for different categories of whom they wish to invite.

If they can afford it and that is what they really want to do, more power to them and party on!
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #904  
Old 02-09-2020, 08:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 720
My family is working class but there were always two receptions at weddings (this is in the UK). A sit down meal after the ceremony that was usually a smaller affair and just for really close family and friends and then an evening reception for a larger group.

As a child, I was never invited to the sit down meal when my cousins married (although my parents were) but always got to go to the evening reception. It was the norm for my friends as well. Having said that, the ceremony was usually at 3pm and so there wasn't a lot of hanging around between church, reception and evening do.
Reply With Quote
  #905  
Old 02-09-2020, 10:52 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
It would be a sweet gesture if Princess Eugenie and Jack hosted an evening reception for the bride and groom.
Where?? In their three bedroom cottage?

It would be sweet if Beatrice had no parents or even grandparents to host it. Sister as hostess? That’s more the sister hosting a hen party type of thing.

If they really want to avoid Andrew which I doubt is a concern here, one of the parents of the groom could be the official host. If they have the evening party the night of the wedding they could rent out a place in London to host. Edos mom is well connected from her late husband Christopher. Or they could have the Italian party everyone here seems to want later on hosted by Alex Mozzi at his family villa in Italy.

Beatrice certainly has a lot of wealthy friends and connections. Between her and Edo there is likely no issue if they want an evening party in London like Ella had. Only concern would be security for relatives that might go.
Reply With Quote
  #906  
Old 02-10-2020, 03:40 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 343
The impression I got with William and Kate's wedding was that having an evening do allowed the younger crowd to let their hair down. I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip enjoyed boogying the night away to risqué pop music in their younger days, but not now. The afternoon party will probably be a bit more staid.
Reply With Quote
  #907  
Old 02-10-2020, 04:04 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I don't think any one of them need more than 1 reception.
They don't need more than one but it's not unusual to have more. Every wedding I've attended in the last 10 years has had an afternoon reception and an evening party (apart from one, which was later in the day and a couple of 2nd weddings, which were smaller events).
Reply With Quote
  #908  
Old 02-10-2020, 06:16 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Treviso, Italy
Posts: 34
IIRC, at Eugenie’s wedding there was also a small reception the day after, a sort of brunch, wasn’t it? Always at the Royal Lodge. IMO, the Royal Lodge is better for everyone if they want no intrusions and media. We’ve literally seen anything from Eugenie’s wedding except official pictures.
Reply With Quote
  #909  
Old 02-10-2020, 07:29 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
...
As I see no reason for the public to believe that Prince Harry, Princess Eugenie, Lady Gabriella, or Princess Beatrice chose the venues for their weddings, the decision will be seen as leveled at Princess Beatrice herself ...

As Prince Harry (the only sibling of the heir in his generation) did not marry at Westminster Abbey, I think it is already established that weddings at Westminster are reserved for heirs.
Prince Harry & Meghan Markle did choose to be married at St. George's Chapel, Windsor. Reportedly, HM the Queen actually wanted Harry to be married at Westminster Abbey. That's what I've heard.

In addition, Lady Gabriella asked for and received permission to be married at St. George's Chapel. I don't see any reason to disbelieve that Princess Eugenie had a say in the decision to marry at St. George's Chapel.
Reply With Quote
  #910  
Old 02-10-2020, 07:56 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Prince Harry & Meghan Markle did choose to be married at St. George's Chapel, Windsor. Reportedly, HM the Queen actually wanted Harry to be married at Westminster Abbey. That's what I've heard.

In addition, Lady Gabriella asked for and received permission to be married at St. George's Chapel. I don't see any reason to disbelieve that Princess Eugenie had a say in the decision to marry at St. George's Chapel.
I think the comments Andrew made in that interview, about The Queen deciding where Eugenie was to marry, is what a lot of folks go by ....that doesn't mean Eugenie didn't have 'a say'. I don't think the Queen would tell her look you are getting married HERE and I don't care if you like it or not.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #911  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:44 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Treviso, Italy
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think the comments Andrew made in that interview, about The Queen deciding where Eugenie was to marry, is what a lot of folks go by ....that doesn't mean Eugenie didn't have 'a say'. I don't think the Queen would tell her look you are getting married HERE and I don't care if you like it or not.


LaRae
I think The Queen perceives Windsor as the lowest-key for a HRH granddaughter. Both because of number of guests and prestige of the family in general. That’s why many of us are shocked with Beatrice having a tiny chapel. Harry could have married at the Abbey, leaving all others at Windsor. But yes, than it’s up to each couple decide. The queen can only give her consensus or dissensus. I don’t think she goes much into the detail of the wedding.
Reply With Quote
  #912  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
...

I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip enjoyed boogying the night away to risqué pop music in their younger days, but not now.
Link, please! And pictures!
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #913  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:12 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 343
I bet they did! Especially Philip. Maybe someone's got some photos hidden away somewhere … :-) .
Reply With Quote
  #914  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:14 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGio View Post
I think The Queen perceives Windsor as the lowest-key for a HRH granddaughter. Both because of number of guests and prestige of the family in general. That’s why many of us are shocked with Beatrice having a tiny chapel. Harry could have married at the Abbey, leaving all others at Windsor. But yes, than it’s up to each couple decide. The queen can only give her consensus or dissensus. I don’t think she goes much into the detail of the wedding.
To me Beatrice has always come across as more shy and less public. It comes across that Eugenie has a much more open and public personality. Based on that I'm not overly surprised she and Edo are doing something much more private (I doubt they'd have done the TV thing if even asked to).

Small private (mostly family and close friends) wedding and a nice luncheon reception (and party?) in the evening/weekend. I do love the outdoor reception venue at BP. We did this at our May wedding and I think the guests (we had about 80) liked it too.


I don't know if Harry could of married at the Abbey or not. Nothing has really been said about it other than the usual media rumors. I thought he would to be be married at The Abbey to be honest...a bit of a surprise they went to Windsor until I remembered they had said they both loved Windsor Park/Windsor.



LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #915  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
To me Beatrice has always come across as more shy and less public. It comes across that Eugenie has a much more open and public personality. Based on that I'm not overly surprised she and Edo are doing something much more private (I doubt they'd have done the TV thing if even asked to).

Small private (mostly family and close friends) wedding and a nice luncheon reception (and party?) in the evening/weekend. I do love the outdoor reception venue at BP. We did this at our May wedding and I think the guests (we had about 80) liked it too.


I don't know if Harry could of married at the Abbey or not. Nothing has really been said about it other than the usual media rumors. I thought he would to be be married at The Abbey to be honest...a bit of a surprise they went to Windsor until I remembered they had said they both loved Windsor Park/Windsor.



LaRae
Not that big a surprise. I think that for reasons of cost and security, there will be more royal weddings at Windsor from now on...
Reply With Quote
  #916  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:44 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Not that big a surprise. I think that for reasons of cost and security, there will be more royal weddings at Windsor from now on...
Not sure a wedding at St George's costs that much in terms of security. The costs are typically related to the public carriage ride.
Reply With Quote
  #917  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Not sure a wedding at St George's costs that much in terms of security. The costs are typically related to the public carriage ride.
that is why there have been more weddings at Windsor.. It costs less there and is easier to police. I think from now on, only the heir will marry in West Abbey.
Reply With Quote
  #918  
Old 02-10-2020, 11:23 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Treviso, Italy
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't know if Harry could of married at the Abbey or not. Nothing has really been said about it other than the usual media rumors. I thought he would to be be married at The Abbey to be honest...a bit of a surprise they went to Windsor until I remembered they had said they both loved Windsor Park/Windsor.
I think Harry wanted to marry there. He missed to invite many members of the extended RF, inviting only 600 guests when the chapel can welcome up to 900 (Eugenie had 850), so to me it sounds like he wanted few and close people, and the Abbey for only 600 guests would have been too large. So Windsor was appropriate.
Eugenie was considered by some media pretentious for marrying where Harry married. But it’s Harry who did things differently.
However Beatrice showed us that everything is possible, we can’t make safe predictions anymore.....
Reply With Quote
  #919  
Old 02-10-2020, 11:45 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,104
Do we think that, following the wedding at St James's and wedding reception at BP, there will be another party later in the evening, perhaps at Royal Lodge?
Reply With Quote
  #920  
Old 02-10-2020, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGio View Post
I think Harry wanted to marry there. He missed to invite many members of the extended RF, inviting only 600 guests when the chapel can welcome up to 900 (Eugenie had 850), so to me it sounds like he wanted few and close people, and the Abbey for only 600 guests would have been too large. So Windsor was appropriate.
Eugenie was considered by some media pretentious for marrying where Harry married. But it’s Harry who did things differently.
However Beatrice showed us that everything is possible, we can’t make safe predictions anymore.....
I never understood why the children of the Kents and Gloucesters weren't there where the church was 300 people under capacity. It would only have been 18 more people inclusive of their spouses but then there was a lot about that wedding which I found odd.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engagement of Princess Beatrice of York and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: September 26, 2019 JessRulz The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 153 09-29-2019 02:36 AM
Princess Beatrice: Relationships Musings and Suggestions Pranter The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 520 09-26-2019 07:26 AM




Popular Tags
administrator alqasimi archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy belgian royal family birthday celebration castles chittagong cht clarence house countess of snowdon cover-up crown prince hussein's future wife crown princess victoria crusades current events cypher danish history denmark duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of cambridge duke of sussex dutch dutch history dutch royal family family search foundation french royalty future germany hamdan bin mohammed henry v hill historical drama house of bourbon house of glucksburg house of orange-nassau house of saxe-coburg and gotha jerusalem jumma languages lithuanian castles mail marriage mohammed vi monaco history monaco royal monarchism nobel 2019 norway norwegian royal family official visit palaces palestine prince charles prince harry prince of wales qe2 royal tour settings shakespeare state visit sweden swedish royal family swedish royalty thai royal family tracts trump united kingdom usa


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×