State Visit to Portugal; November 28-30, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
this is proof that letizia can look queenly when she chooses to. i wish we saw her like this more often. the smile doesn't hurt either - most times she looks sad / annoyed to be doing the activities in her agenda but not today. clearly they have a strong connection with portugal.

Some really great photos here of the Gala Dinner last night in Lisbon.

PPE Agency

Video and pics from the dinner:
Presidente da República ofereceu jantar de Estado em honra dos Reis de Espanha - NOTÍCIAS - PRESIDENCIA.PT

One can understand the popularity of the President of Portugal, that was a really nice speech, with a long Spanish part (I always envy the way Portuguese people learn and manage with Spanish, while I just can understand some Portuguese, though I would love to speak it! :sad:). I liked how he mentioned Spanish writers Unamuno and Ortega y Gasset (those are the kind of details I always love) and at the end, he included Leonor and Sofia in the toast :)

The reception with the popular music was so colorful:
Imagem Ampliada - Presidência da República Portuguesa

This is Carminho, a very popular fado singer:
IIRIC, she was present to in the lunch of F&L introductory visit. I think I read back then that Letizia was a fan. It makes sense that she was invited to sing. The King and Queen looked enchanted with her :)

(In case you feel like a fado morning, some Carminho's music ;): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhgGRuEsUU0 )

^^^ can't see the pics, Lulia. I get "access denied"...

i like when we see letizia genuinely smiling, which we usually don't. it is nice for a change to see her engaging and performing duties positively. even felipe seems surprised in that picture...

Never seen a portugese state visit like this. Why was the banquet held at this particular palace? These folcloristic groups, the Queen wearing no tiara while the duchess of Braganca does - everything seems to be irritating/ unfamiliar and beautiful at the same time... I´m confused....!

Very pleased to see His Majesty sporting a beard once more! It suits him so extremely well!

Last edited by a moderator:
i like when we see letizia genuinely smiling, which we usually don't. it is nice for a change to see her engaging and performing duties positively. even felipe seems surprised in that picture...

There is nothing wrong with Queen Letizia being serious at times. Why do woman have to smile? I think she smiles when it is appropriate. Felipe is looking at her with loving eyes. I do not see any surprise in his eyes.

Never seen a portugese state visit like this. Why was the banquet held at this particular palace? These folcloristic groups, the Queen wearing no tiara while the duchess of Braganca does - everything seems to be irritating/ unfamiliar and beautiful at the same time... I´m confused....!

Very pleased to see His Majesty sporting a beard once more! It suits him so extremely well!

I suppose the Portuguese, as in other European countries, are somewhat nostalgic of their own monarchy, which explains the venue and the presence of the pretender to the throne and his wife.

Knowing that Letizia, like Sofia before her, was uniikely to wear a tiara on a state visit to a foreign republic, the Duchess probably should have refrained from wearing one herself. On the other hand, since it was a white tie event, a tiara was appropriate and Letizia could have broken with tradition and worn one.

Last edited:
In general I thought this was a very warm visit and pleasant to watch :)

Very pleased to see His Majesty sporting a beard once more! It suits him so extremely well![/UOTE]

I love the children dressed with the colors of the beautiful Portuguese flag ??, the folkloric young people smiling and singing, serving also as a back drop. Everything was (for my own personal taste) beautiful. It showed the world their pride, heritage, and culture.

Back
Top Bottom