Zara Phillips Current Events 3: September 2007-June 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure she will. She is a smart girl and she has her priorities set right. I just hope that Toytown will be better for the Olympics, it would be a huge blow if he can't go
From the article Toytown has a bruised foot. Of all the injuries horses get this is one of the simplest. It requires only a few weeks for it to heal, as opposed to a tendon rupture for example which could easily be 6 months off and 6 months coming back, and then we'll see. I am not familiar with how the British Team is selected. Skydragon, do you know if the selection committee can give her a bye or does she need to do qualifying trials? Clearly this pair should be on the team.

Skydragon, do you know if the selection committee can give her a bye or does she need to do qualifying trials? Clearly this pair should be on the team.
She needs to qualify on Toytown if she is to compete on Toytown. It is possible that they have already gained enough points, if not then I'm afraid as a pair they are out of the running, which would be a great pity, although Zara has one or other rides. It could be that with the intensive therapy open to Zara and Toytown, she would still have the time to gain missing points and of course get him back into competition shape. :flowers:

To qualify for the Olympics, riders and horses, as a combination, have to have achieved a "qualifying result" at a CCI****, or at a CCI*** plus a CIC***, with these results achieved between 1 January 2007 and 30 June 2008.
An FEI qualifying result is:

• No more than 75 penalties in the dressage
  • No more than 16 jumping penalties in the show jumping
  • No more than 20 jumping penalties across country
  • No more than 36 time-penalties (48 at CCI****) across country

Zara's already qualified for the Olympics games. She gained her qualification after ending 6th at the European championships in September and had already had another qualifying result at the CHIO in Aachen in July where she had been 5th. Moreover, the team manager said that Toytown's injury wasn't serious and that it won't prevent him from being selected for the Olympics games.

Last edited:
As the UK team has not yet been decided and bearing in mind the selectors will be taking into account any past injuries, there is no guarantee that Zara and Toytown will be selected. Added to which, the longer he is out of action, the less likely he would be considered fit. :flowers:

Does anyone know when the team will be chosen? The olympics are only about 4 mths away if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully Zara and Toytown will be ready I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

I think the teams will be selected around mid-June.

Will it be hot in China for the events? Will they hold them inside or out?

Will it be hot in China for the events? Will they hold them inside or out?
The Olympics are alway outdoors for equestrian and always on grass. Certain other competitions are always indoors or always on sand footing. There were, in the last olympics, several horses that suffered career ending injuries because the turf was not sufficiently grown in roots wise. One horse called Royal Caliber who was the best show jumping stallion in the US, not only suffered a career ending injury, but because (in part) of being confined to his stall had a massive colic and died.

The equestrian events are being held in Hong Kong. :flowers:

Pics 4.4.2008

Zara Phillips at the Tedworth Point to Point at Barbury Castle,
near Marlborough, Britain - 04 Apr 2008 Zara Phillips took the
day off from eventing at the weekend to take her horse Manor
Down to the Tedworth Point to Point. Zara has taken on the
testing job of training the horse which jockey Tom David rode
into fourth place on Saturday.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Pics 13.4.2008

Zara at the jumping of the CCI of Compiegne (Concours Complet
International), eventing competition. April 13, 2008 - Compiegne,
France. Zara fell during the jumping event, without being injured.
She had to abandon.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Oh that sucks! Is there any info. if she and the horse are all right?

Pics 18.4.2008

Zara is fine, as you'll see on the following pics from today,
Russophile, but I'm not sure about her horse, as today she
had another one, 'Make Mine Music' instead of 'Manor Down'.

Zara Phillips at Hambleden Horse Trials, Henley on Thames,
Britain - 18 Apr 2008

With doggies!! I love the doggies!!!
Just how rough a sport is jumping on a horse? And this one that she has is just as beautiful!

Yikes! Maybe this is divine intervention and she should get out of the sport? :eek:

Riding and its dangers

What is the closest to Equestrian as far as sports? What has a similar speed and requires jumping your vehicle/horse? Motocross, more specifically, Bicycle Motocross...yes, the sport is similar in speed, and the dexterity requisite of a rider in this sport compares well with horses. My point is that the animals (horses) are the difference. Equestrian and Equine sports are far more dangerous than some of the more dangerous sports out there - and no, I am not saying that those of you that ride bikes are less an athlete, or more of one for that matter, as both sports are Olympic sports at this point in time. And although the reality for the Equine event athletes is that they are in a sport that is so very dangerous, it shows confidence, and Zara has plenty of confidence in being such an accomplished Equestrian. If anything, it is her love of the sport that keeps her going. However I could understand that if she were to have a reason for leaving the sport at some time in the future, competitively anyway, that she may do so as graciously as anyone whom has been involved...I, myself left a sport at 15 because of an injury, and while it was depressing to myself to leave - as athletes have invested such great amounts of time to be the best, there is always something else...and any of you whom might think that they are participating in the most dangerous sport - go climb a mountain, because that's not the point.

Zara is having another big weekend.

Tiger Lily, the horse bred by the Queen, got a third.

With only 99 days to go to the Olympics, Toytowns's withdrawl from this event doesn't feel good.

Withington Manor

Equestrian sports are among the most dangerous. There have been several deaths in the UK over the past few years. Some people think motor sports or even rugby are dangerous - but I don't believe they are as dangerous as the horses.

Zara is having another big weekend.

Tiger Lily, the horse bred by the Queen, got a third.

With only 99 days to go to the Olympics, Toytowns's withdrawl from this event doesn't feel good.

Withington Manor

She went to Powderham Castle with him last weekend and was 7th. She was entered here just in case Powderham Castle was cancelled.

Pics from Abaca Press America
Zara Phillips gets support from her boyfriend Mike Tindall during the Withington horse trials in Gloucestershire, UK, on April 27, 2008.
Abaca Press Americas Search Results

Pics 26.+27.4.2008

26 Apr 2008: Zara Phillips riding the Queen's horse Tiger
Lilly IX and her horse High Kingdom at the Withington Horse
trials, Gloucestershire.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Zara Phillips warms her horse Tallyho Sambucca up before taking
part inThe Dressage section at Withington Manor Horse Trials at
the Withington Estate on April 27, 2008, near Cheltenham in
Gloustershire.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

^I really dislike that picture of her. Its looks really photoshopped. She's much prettier naturally.

Pics 30.4.2008

Zara Phillips and Ardfield Magic Star attend a veterinary inspection on
April 30 2008 in Badminton, England. Reigning world champion Zara Phillips
will ride Glenbuck and Ardfield Magic Star at the world's largest three-day
event - as the British equestrian team look to finalise their 2008 Olympics
squad. The event starts tomorrow with two days of dressage then goes
into cross country on Saturday before finishing with the jumping test on Sunday.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And some pics of Zara walking the course today:

Does anyone know Zara's ranking in this event? This is the last event before the Olympic team is chosen (I think), it would be a shame for her not to do well and not make the team for the Bejing Olympics.

Cat

Equestrian sports are among the most dangerous. There have been several deaths in the UK over the past few years. Some people think motor sports or even rugby are dangerous - but I don't believe they are as dangerous as the horses.
It's not all equestrian sports. In dressage there are very few injuries to riders. In show jumping, we have break away safety cups that if the horse even rubs the fence the pole drops. In eventing, the poles are fixed in place. There has been a big push in the US to have the safety cups implimented. But right now, it's basically telephone poles hard wired into place, which can be leathal if you slip. This has zero margin for error. This is why when you hear about horses and riders being injured or killed it's almost always in the cross country phase of eventing. I dont remember ever hearing of someone being killed in show jumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom