Your Opinions About Felipe and Letizia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke of Marmalade said:
I have to admit that I am one of those who think that Letizia is what I once called a missed chance and I don’t want to repeat my previous posts. She has done more or less three events on her own in three years and I am not so confident that there will be a massive change in the next three years. I find it sad for her but I also see the danger that just in case Felipe will be King much faster than he hopes he will be, Letizia will be Queen. She has once spoken of the “priceless example of the Queen” and one day she will have to fill these shoes. We all hope there are many more years to come for JC but who knows? In the past three years, Letizia hasn’t even started to get a profile of her own - although it seems it’s not up to her - but the later she starts the harder it will be for her to follow in Queen Sofia’s footsteps. I know it’s not fair to compare, all I say is she should start rather today than tomorrow because of what will be some day. At the moment, people see her only as a consort behind her husband and she will have to be so much more in the future.

If Letizia really wants to follow the 'princeless example of the Queen', she should buy herself a few Valentino gowns first like Sofia always did :lol: (just kidding).
When Sofia came to Spain, Spain had no monarchy, herself didn't speak Spanish, she really didn't have much a role until she became Queen in 1976. You seemed to compare Letizia to today's Sofia after 40 years of her marriage to Juan Carlos, which is not a fair comparison. Everyone has a learning process, even Sofia's public image has changed much over the years too. She used to be aloof and very Germanic. On the other hand, I never really like Letizia's statement of following 'priceless example of the Queen'. I'm sure Letizia can learn a lot from the Queen (a great Queen indeed), but she and Sofia have completely different background, different strength, possible different personalities too, she will never be Queen Sofia in some people's eyes no matter how hard she tries. Letizia should play up to her own strength. She is Spanish, a former career woman and a broadcaster, good connection with various sectors of the Spanish society, speaks perfect Spanish. Last year's visits to the working districts of Madrid suburban was a good start. Hopefully Zarzuela would allow her to accept the offer of being the patron of the journalist association, more connection with the university students (last year Zarzuela also rejected the invitation for Letizia to attend a university graduation).
After saying all these, I think Letizia doesn't have as much flexibility as the other Crown Princesses in Europe, who receive money directly from the State or at least their husbands do. In Spain, the King controls the purse strings. For Felipe's sake, she probably just followed the arrangement from Zarzuela, otherwise the family would be in chaoic state :cool:.

Duke of Marmalade said:
and there must be more creative people around Spain than Varela whose boring designs she has been showing off in the last three years.

Definitely. Varela is not even among the very top designers in Spain. He simply has no idea on how to dress a royal.

Duke of Marmalade said:

Regarding the press issue, of course you are right, but I see it more relaxed. Serious press is important, I agree, but the yellow press should not be ignored, especially in Spain. Zarzuela seems to have quite an influence on the serious press and if we only listen to them there is the danger of reading only what they want us to read. Besides, yellow press is fun. I always get a good laugh and there you can read – apart from the lies - about the stuff that is true but not interesting enough for the serious press. So I guess a good balance is a very important :flowers:

I think the problem is that some people only pay attention to the yellow press and a diet of only the yellow press can leave people more misled than if they only read what was in the press releases.

I don't see the yellow press as fun. A lot of what's written in the yellow press is incredibly bitchy, mean-spirited, and cruel. I don't need to read all is sweetness and light but it gives me no pleasure and edification to read a total unrestrained bitchfest either.

While it would be nice not to have agendas, it is not humanly possible and I trust more the agendas that try to build something up as with the press offices who are trying to strengthen the royal family rather than the agendas that try to tear something down as with the agendas of the yellow press.

Its harder to build something up and maintain it than it is to tear it down so if someone makes that endeavour, I respect them more than someone who can only tear things down.

donnaK said:
When Sofia came to Spain, Spain had no monarchy, herself didn't speak Spanish, she really didn't have much a role until she became Queen in 1976. You seemed to compare Letizia to today's Sofia after 40 years of her marriage to Juan Carlos, which is not a fair comparison. Everyone has a learning process, even Sofia's public image has changed much over the years too. She used to be aloof and very Germanic. On the other hand, I never really like Letizia's statement of following 'priceless example of the Queen'. I'm sure Letizia can learn a lot from the Queen (a great Queen indeed), but she and Sofia have completely different background, different strength, possible different personalities too, she will never be Queen Sofia in some people's eyes no matter how hard she tries. Letizia should play up to her own strength. She is Spanish, a former career woman and a broadcaster, good connection with various sectors of the Spanish society, speaks perfect Spanish. Last year's visits to the working districts of Madrid suburban was a good start. Hopefully Zarzuela would allow her to accept the offer of being the patron of the journalist association, more connection with the university students (last year Zarzuela also rejected the invitation for Letizia to attend a university graduation).

I remember Sofia's image as a bit distant and cold but that has defititely changed. I think she's one of the most warm and open Queens around, especially when she's with her grandchildren. It's true, from this perspective Sofia had an easier way than Letizia (although I am sure those times were not easy for her at all) because there was no role model that everyone was already looking up to. She had more freedom to define her role and if you look back she has done very well. That makes it very difficult for Letizia and I totally agree on what you say. I did not want to compare them but stress that Letizia needs to work on her own profile and I hope Zarzuela will allow her to do so (you mentioned some nice examples that would be perfect opportunities) rather sooner than later :flowers:

donnaK said:
In Spain, the King controls the purse strings. For Felipe's sake, she probably just followed the arrangement from Zarzuela, otherwise the family would be in chaoic state :cool:.

Well, in this case Letizia should have a word with Felipe and point at the way Elena and Jaime are handling their budget - there seems to be enough money for nice clothes.

When I think of the white pants Felipe was wearing at Fauna Park two things come to my mind - either the budget is REALLY tight and therefore Felipe is still wearing his stuff from the 80ies or he's VERY cost concious - fine but in this case he could at least ask Jaime how to arrange good discounts at LVMH :lol:

Duke of Marmalade said:
When I think of the white pants Felipe was wearing at Fauna Park two things come to my mind - either the budget is REALLY tight and therefore Felipe is still wearing his stuff from the 80ies or he's VERY cost concious - fine but in this case he could at least ask Jaime how to arrange good discounts at LVMH :lol:
I doubt he`ll fit in his pants from the 80s:cool: the man has excellent suits and looks good in uniforms and sailing gear but his taste in casual or "relaxed" is just terrible.

I am not a Spaniard and speaking from a foreigner's point of view, I have a very good opinion of Felipe and Letizia. My opinion, however is not based on the clothes they wear but the way they represent Spain. I also like the fact that Letizia acts as a consort to Felipe and does not try to overshadow him. Sofia was born into royalty and was probably trained from birth to be a queen so she has all the tools necessary to be a good queen. Considering that Letizia was a commoner, she is doing an exceptional job as a princess.

chuchu said:
I also like the fact that Letizia acts as a consort to Felipe and does not try to overshadow him.
Well I think that's her job, to be behind her husband and IMO Zarzuela really wants that she acts is way! Felipe is the one that matters she has to came next!:ermm:

chuchu said:
I am not a Spaniard and speaking from a foreigner's point of view, I have a very good opinion of Felipe and Letizia. My opinion, however is not based on the clothes they wear but the way they represent Spain. I also like the fact that Letizia acts as a consort to Felipe and does not try to overshadow him. Sofia was born into royalty and was probably trained from birth to be a queen so she has all the tools necessary to be a good queen. Considering that Letizia was a commoner, she is doing an exceptional job as a princess.

Very true chuchu, I believe Letizia is doing a very good job. I knew from the start that her professional career in the media would be helpful to her. She always handles herself exceptionally with the media and in public situations. She always behaves gracefully and dresses appropriately. Beyond that, she and Philippe make a good team. She is not an attention seeker, she keeps her place and is happy to be in the background of her husband. They come across as a happy couple and a happy family. Its refreshing to see. :flowers:

I don't think that the concept of "Consort" is clearly definite in Spain to precise the rolr of the wife of the Prince of Asturias who himself dosen't have functions elaborated in the Constitution. For the Princess of Asturias is a true empiric way of work which is decided by the Royal House according the necessities of the situation politic, economic, social and cultural.

As a long time the Queen, who has had a lot of time to learn her role first as a Princess of Spain, then as the Queen, and the Infantas, who both because her brother is married late are sharing their taskes, the most great part for the Queen, and the residual ones for the Infantas according their own familial agenda.

It's absolutly obvious, because Spain is a very special country, that to exercice as a Consort of a Prince who dosen't has special attribution means that she has to do the same things before to have her own field of activities.

Plus, since his wedding the Prince of Asturias has seen his works to increase a lot ( from about 90 acts/year to about 280 act/year ) work that he is sharing with the Princess.... when she is not pregnant and breasfeeding for the necessity of the Crown....( Don't forget that before of all, during the first years of her wedding the Princess has to be an uterus before to be a brain....) In this case, I'm totally convinced that the Princess of Asturias is going on to help her husband in his work even during the time she is pregnant because she has, as anchorwoman, a work method, and all other way to think, analyse the news and so on. I'm not sure that for the moment she is looking to have her own agenda which will be very reduced regarding the field in which her husband has to show his personality.
To be at the head of a lot of care organisations is honorific before to be useful, to preside a lot of health comities dosen't give any possibility to manage this health comities. If I should be inthe Letizia's situation, I should to be beside my husband and help him to reinforce his notoriety rather than looking to be president of the association of whatever.

I think Letizia is doing a mediocre job for now, I am optimistic however that in the future she will do a great job in her role. As many have already mentioned, I think because the spanish monarchy is special in its ways, that restricts Letizia from being more independent. So time will tell for me and I think she will deliver up to the challenge.

oskana said:
I think Letizia is doing a mediocre job for now, I am optimistic however that in the future she will do a great job in her role. As many have already mentioned, I think because the spanish monarchy is special in its ways, that restricts Letizia from being more independent. So time will tell for me and I think she will deliver up to the challenge.

All the thaughts have to be arguemented, why do yo think it's a mediocre job. It will interesting to know your thaught for understand the word "mediocre".

adelaide said:
Plus, since his wedding the Prince of Asturias has seen his works to increase a lot ( from about 90 acts/year to about 280 act/year ) work that he is sharing with the Princess....
Its a pitty the old website is not up and about any more, Im pretty sure he had more than 90 acts in 2002 and 2003, that would be about 2 a week (when you dont count the vacations) and he deffenetly was around more than that, of course it depends on what you qualify as an "act", when you call it an act everytime you meet some people for 15 minutes its gonna be many of course, likewise if you call a several day visit to another country 1 act or 25.

If "mediocre" means dull or second class or non intellectual I think it's a bit harsh. IMO Letizia's work is very valuable for Felipe and she's a perfect support for him. But the problem is that for the public she comes across as Felipe's accessory who smiles and takes the flowers while he does the "important" things as speeches or delivery of the prizes. This will only change when Zarzuela allows her to work on her own profile - hopefully one day she will be able to show what she is capable of.

Duke of Marmalade said:
If "mediocre" means dull or second class or non intellectual I think it's a bit harsh. IMO Letizia's work is very valuable for Felipe and she's a perfect support for him. But the problem is that for the public she comes across as Felipe's accessory who smiles and takes the flowers while he does the "important" things as speeches or delivery of the prizes. This will only change when Zarzuela allows her to work on her own profile - hopefully one day she will be able to show what she is capable of.
I think alot of it comes down to an individual's perspective, some people "see" what they want to. Meeting people, speaking with officials, actively participating and showing an interest are no less important than delivering a speech, imo.

I agree Little Star. If you are in a possition like Princess of Asturias and her husband are, you must be,at least bright. A person who will be the next Queen of Spain must have read a lot and have a lot of intelligence , without mentioning Prince felipe who will be the King!

There is people who seems to think that anyone may do whatever they wants. Anyone could reach any place in this world. And the sad news are no; that's not true. You may not be a Monarchist (am I one, but I'm surprised seeing how much Republicans and really anti-nobility people is lurking here...a site devoted to Royals :D ) and not believe in the importance of social classes in society, but you cannot deny is the importance of intelligence and instruction in public characters. How would they speak about different issues if the doesn't study them? If they are not cultivated, they could believe that the world is only what TV and papers shows, and ignore more deep and complicate realities of their country and the world.

A King and a Queen that are only able to wave and smile weakly and to make sport? A Monarch couple who lives like a couple of good bourgeois, who bornes themselves to know what me and you and our neighbors could know about social and cultural issues? Hmmm...I'm not a Republican, but I risk to become one if Royals begans to be as some young ones from nowadays. The trouble is...that nowadays presidents are a little like Royals too. All rulers are "the avergae guy from the next door", and seems to be hypnotized. They do what they are told they must do. And yes...they're desperately boring.

And, oh...I was forgotting...I don't like dull persons, and I suppose that peoples of the world doesn't ,either. I like good royals and I shouldn't utter a world if Royals from nowadays were more conscious of their role in their society...But I think that ,for being dull, speaking once in weeks, going to some inaugurations, reading some speech written by other people than them, practicing some sports, not liking to cultivate themselves and living like any of us, but in a much more luxurious way, peoples of the world are paying to much for these kind of people...If any of us could be King or Queen in this upside down world...what are we waiting for? :angry: :censored:

Vanesa.

adelaide said:
All the thaughts have to be arguemented, why do yo think it's a mediocre job. It will interesting to know your thaught for understand the word "mediocre".

I meant mediocre in the sense that she doesnt have her own profile yet, I would like her to be much more independent but I understand that she has restrictions because of the way spain's monarchy operates. I realize it will come in the future.

Duke of Marmalade said:

No, not dull or second class nor non intellectual, by mediocre I meant she is not as independent as she could be considering her strong modern day professional-career woman persona. Yes I agree this will only change when Zarzuela allows her to work on her own profile.

Last edited:
oskana said:
No, not dull or second class nor non intellectual, by mediocre I meant she is not as independent as she could be considering her strong modern day professional-career woman persona. Yes I agree this will only change when Zarzuela allows her to work on her own profile.

This is what I thought you meant and I agree. What worries me a bit is that on the few occasions we saw Letizia speak or do things on her own she did not seem confident or comfortable at all. When I watched her speak during her two official speeches I would not have thought of her being a successful anchorwoman in the past. I thought she was very nervous with her voice shaking a bit - not impressive at all. Surprisingly, as speaking in front of big audiences on TV or in public and a confident appearance used to be two of her strongest assets. When I saw her speak during the presentation of Infanta Sofia I was a bit annoyed when she could not really finish one sentence without looking up to Felipe as if she needed be reassure herself that she said the right thing.

I think Zarzuela's decision to take her out of the limelight for whatever reasons has affected her confidence and these days she seems to be afraid to make use of her strengths even on appropriate occasions. Her submissive behaviour is quite contrary to her appearances before or shortly after marriage. Looks like she worked hard on fitting into a role that might not suit her real character for the sake of a country and the man she loves.

Duke of Marmalade said:
This is what I thought you meant and I agree. What worries me a bit is that on the few occasions we saw Letizia speak or do things on her own she did not seem confident or comfortable at all. When I watched her speak during her two official speeches I would not have thought of her being a successful anchorwoman in the past. I thought she was very nervous with her voice shaking a bit - not impressive at all. Surprisingly, as speaking in front of big audiences on TV or in public and a confident appearance used to be two of her strongest assets. When I saw her speak during the presentation of Infanta Sofia I was a bit annoyed when she could not really finish one sentence without looking up to Felipe as if she needed be reassure herself that she said the right thing.

I think Zarzuela's decision to take her out of the limelight for whatever reasons has affected her confidence and these days she seems to be afraid to make use of her strengths even on appropriate occasions. Her submissive behaviour is quite contrary to her appearances before or shortly after marriage. Looks like she worked hard on fitting into a role that might not suit her real character for the sake of a country and the man she loves.

i totally agree with your opinion, duke of marmalade. i also noticed letizia during her first speech, but didn't mind too much because it must still be daunting to speak to such a number of people, especially when it's so long after her wedding and such an important thing as her first speech. she probably knew as a former anchorwoman that the press would be commenting on everything she said. what worried me the most was during the presentation of sofia and her need to look at felipe or sometimes even repeat what felipe said when asked about the baptism or the godparents. she looked way more nervous and insecure than with leonor, in my opinion... and i always thought it should have been the other way round.

i guess it's all because every time she answered the questions of the press, those answers were commented and judged too much, and now she is perhaps insecure about what she says...

I also think that if Zarzuela allows Letizia to expand herself she will be the spotlight and she will take all the grants from her husband and to me that is why they want to keep her in her hunsband's shadow!

carlota said:
iwhat worried me the most was during the presentation of sofia and her need to look at felipe or sometimes even repeat what felipe said when asked about the baptism or the godparents. she looked way more nervous and insecure than with leonor, in my opinion... and i always thought it should have been the other way round.

i guess it's all because every time she answered the questions of the press, those answers were commented and judged too much, and now she is perhaps insecure about what she says...

I didn't think Letizia looked nervous and insecure at all during Sofia's presentation. I think she looked absolutely radiant and happy. What I think you might have noticed is that it was somewhat more messy than with Leonor presentation. When she was presented all the attention was for Letizia and Leonor just lay sleeping in mommy's arms. Everyone had already heard Felipe speak, so everyone gave her opportunity to tell how she felt. With SOfia's presentation it was especially Leonor who had all the attention. I think as cute as she was, she took also a lot of her mothers attention, who was wathching en smiling at her daughter all the time. :wub: So whenever Felipe said somehting, Leonor starting saying something, and then Letizia might have repeated it in a different way. Dut she didn't seem insecure at all to me.

And to me princess Leonor, I agree with you.

Last edited:
I agree totally, yes with the mischievous Leonor :wub: both Felipe and Letizia were to pay attention to the two girls before to can to speak quietly with the press. It's true it was more messy but it's totally understandable with the joke's demonstration of Leonor... :angel: :angel:

Last edited:
For me, Letizia is doing a fine job for now. From what I've seen, it seems that the role that is being carved for her is like that of a First Lady (or since Felipe is not yet head of state, maybe First-Lady-in-the-making). I believe that in time she will be championing certain causes that are particularly close to her heart, but these will always be in support of the agenda of her husband, the head of state. I can be proven otherwise, but I sense that in Spain there are no complaints about the Princess not having a solo agenda because when the time comes, the barometer for the monarchy's survival is not primarily her performance but that of Prince Felipe (whom I think is doing a great job btw) -- just like Queen Sofia's performance is not the most important point of reference for King Juan Carlos' reign.

Having said that, I also think that Letizia can provide a value-added to the monarchy by (among other things) generating publicity to certain causes and to events that she attends on her own or with Felipe. If Queen Sofia would be her benchmark... The Queen we know and respect now was not made overnight; and in her time, I think that to be a mother was also the first in her agenda in her first 3 years of marriage to Juan Carlos.

I have a feeling that with the King still very much active and still looking forward to reigning for many more years, they might also be allowing Letizia to indulge herself and devote a good amount of her time to being a mom to children who surely are going to live extraordinary lives (no matter how much they are going to try to be "normal"). Since Leonor's birth, she seems to be very confident in her role as a parent and for that, I'm glad for her. While her children are still small, I think she'll take on a few responsibilities (both solo and shared); but I think that as her children grow older, Letizia will also have more and more opportunities to to blossom with confidence as Princess and then as Queen.

kartheina said:
For me, Letizia is doing a fine job for now. From what I've seen, it seems that the role that is being carved for her is like that of a First Lady (or since Felipe is not yet head of state, maybe First-Lady-in-the-making). I believe that in time she will be championing certain causes that are particularly close to her heart, but these will always be in support of the agenda of her husband, the head of state. I can be proven otherwise, but I sense that in Spain there are no complaints about the Princess not having a solo agenda because when the time comes, the barometer for the monarchy's survival is not primarily her performance but that of Prince Felipe (whom I think is doing a great job btw) -- just like Queen Sofia's performance is not the most important point of reference for King Juan Carlos' reign.

Having said that, I also think that Letizia can provide a value-added to the monarchy by (among other things) generating publicity to certain causes and to events that she attends on her own or with Felipe. If Queen Sofia would be her benchmark... The Queen we know and respect now was not made overnight; and in her time, I think that to be a mother was also the first in her agenda in her first 3 years of marriage to Juan Carlos.

I have a feeling that with the King still very much active and still looking forward to reigning for many more years, they might also be allowing Letizia to indulge herself and devote a good amount of her time to being a mom to children who surely are going to live extraordinary lives (no matter how much they are going to try to be "normal"). Since Leonor's birth, she seems to be very confident in her role as a parent and for that, I'm glad for her. While her children are still small, I think she'll take on a few responsibilities (both solo and shared); but I think that as her children grow older, Letizia will also have more and more opportunities to to blossom with confidence as Princess and then as Queen.

Kartheina, if you allow me, if find your analysis absolutly excellent and totally according to the topic.

You have very well settle up the main role of a queen to be in a system where the Queen herself is first of all a consorte who dosen't have written charges but who with her sensitive of appreciation of the necessities of the moment has to manage her work in fonction of the nationa and international events. It's exactly that is doing the Queen Sofia who share is time between her country and the great international causes as the microcredit, the needy childhood, the great international ( or national, obviosly ) natural catastrophes.

As you say, for the moment the main role of the Princess of Asturias is to be the Main help to her husband ... and to assure the continuity of the dinasty, that she is doing very well with two Infantas in three years - despites the bad tasted gossips of her first months of wedding, forgotten today but of which none of the guilty had took care to apologize - Who is the most ridiculous in this matter ?-

If you are watching to the role of all the First Lady in any Republics, none of them have so much works, none of them have so many possibilties to make interventions for the children wealth, the need peoples's finances, none of them have so much posibilities to have a role inthe cultural's fields and so on, and all of that with a true sens of a logical continuation.

The Ministres of the Culture, for example, with the Queen Sofia have to be very happy to have a such discussion partner, it's very rewarding for the culture itself and its influence. It's not whithout interst that the Princes of Asturias have in charge quiet all the opening of the the Cervantes Institutes in the world.

princess leonor said:
I didn't think Letizia looked nervous and insecure at all during Sofia's presentation. I think she looked absolutely radiant and happy. What I think you might have noticed is that it was somewhat more messy than with Leonor presentation. When she was presented all the attention was for Letizia and Leonor just lay sleeping in mommy's arms. Everyone had already heard Felipe speak, so everyone gave her opportunity to tell how she felt. With SOfia's presentation it was especially Leonor who had all the attention. I think as cute as she was, she took also a lot of her mothers attention, who was wathching en smiling at her daughter all the time. :wub: So whenever Felipe said somehting, Leonor starting saying something, and then Letizia might have repeated it in a different way. Dut she didn't seem insecure at all to me.

Agreed. I saw no signs of insecurity. She looked fabulous to me. :flowers:

carlota said:
what worried me the most was during the presentation of sofia and her need to look at felipe or sometimes even repeat what felipe said when asked about the baptism or the godparents..

The questions on baptism or the godparents were reserved for Felipe on Leonor's presentation too. Felipe answered the institutional questions that required the input from the Kings.

I also think that Letizia looked a bit insecure when she answered the questions in Sofia's presentation and she was always looking at Filipe to have an approval! She didn't knew very well what to answer and I wonder why they are taking so long to announce it... I think almost everything Letizia say or do is controlled!

Was the same thing when Letizia arrived in Oviedo last year. To me she seemed to be very insecure or not confident when being questioned by the press. When they asked her when Leonor will come to Asturias she said something like ask the prince as he will decide on the issue - even if it's true I can't believe that a former field reporter gives such a submissive answer.

Maybe after her blunders in the beginning she got some pressure from Zarzuela and this his the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom