Worst Royal Jewels 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the Norwegian emerald tiara on Princess Ingeborg. She wore it low on her brow and her hairstyle was short and close to the head so that her head, the hair and the tiara were visually one unit.

I think the worst it looked was when Sonja had her eighties hairdo which was short and poufy.

Actually here is Crown Princess Märtha wearing it and it is lovely. She doesn't wear it as low on her head as her mother did but she has a much simpler hairstyle than some of Queen Sonja's so the tiara appears to go with her head a bit better.

I think too much hair competes with the tiara.

Last edited:
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D The Norwegian emerald tiara is lovely but that huge center emerald just ruins it for me. It throws of the whole balance of the piece.

Cat

You don't like the way Ingeborg wore it? I thought she made it look quite stylish. In that picture the big center emerald doesn't look that much larger than the two pear shapes beside it. I liked the curve of the pear and diamond shaped emeralds echoing the curve of her head and then the large square emerald perched a little higher in the middle.

The pic of Mette-Marit wearing it looks very nice indeed! It surprised me, maybe because I see the piece from an angle?

So, thinking of our little discussion regarding the Norwegian Emerald Tiara I got out my Bible (Munn's Tiara's book) and found the Norwegian tiara (shamefully at the back of the book, along with Sweden's Connaught tiara--shame on Munn!) and I looked at carefully, and I have to say that the workmanship of the piece is remarkable; the lower portion where the base is located is really beautiful--in fact, it is a lovely tiara and probably does not belong here on the Worst Jewels thread--I still think that the central stone is too big; it just looks a little off to me, that big square stone in the middle when there are round stones. But, I think if the square had been positioned at an angle like the other ones at the top it would look horrid.

The contraption is indeed a lovely albeit injured creation. I think that the origianal idea was to have the large central stone counterbalanced by two pear shaped stones and then a gradation down to the other emerald cut gems at the top of the tiara. It is a pity the people who removed the pear shaped emeralds simply did not go out and buy two or more goodies, or beg or borrow or even steal them (vide the the Imperial Jewels of Iran) and get a decent pair of earings that way. In any case it is a marvel, warts ??? and all. The workmanship is impeccable.

BTW, oh most Noble Lady Madame Royale, I think you description of the Poppy Horror on the magnificent MII is priceless: functional. Talk about damning with faint praise. Indeed worthy of our Most venomous, mlignant and malevolent thread. Cheeers.

Since we had such an interesting discussion regarding the Norwegian Emerald tiara, I thought it would be fun to see what the feelings are regarding the Ruby Mellerino parue of the Dutch Royal Family. I can 't remember if we've talked about it here it here or not, but I think it looks like those garlands you drape on the Christmas tree-the tiara, that is. Love the other pieces.

Ruby Parure

I just knew somebody was going to bring the subject of that gem sow up. It is hideous. All of it. Like much or most of the DRF contraptions it is muck. Pure and simple. Were it not for the marvelous Beatrix, the incredible Wilhelmina et al I would say declare Holland a republic and get rid of the garbage. Have a garage sale a la the UssR of 1927 and use it to support orphanages in Amsterdam or some such. But then they do have some lovely palaces, Het Loo is fabulous. But the jewelry. Well everybody has their little foibles and failures of good taste and behaviour, now don't they. So I suppose we must all be big hearted (gnashing my teeth in the process) and forgive them. Or accept it. Cheers.

Now, I rather like the necklace--it isn't your typical diamond and gem set necklace, and I like that huge ruby and diamond fastener. The brooches I even like--and I do like the earrings. The fan, well, I've not seen a close-up to determine if I like it or not, but for me that tiara is just not working. I really just do not think it is a good design--the stones are nice, though.

Speaking of bad Dutch jewels, when was the last time we saw somebody actually wear the ruby peacock tiara?

http://www.royaldutchjewels.nl/new_page_13.html That's another miss, in my opinion.

I rather like the peacock parure actually, it does 'work' if it is worn correctly. Princess Irene wore it once more 'flat' and it looked much better.

The brooch was worn by Queen Beatrix and Princess Maxima but the tiara and the necklace hasn't been seen since the 70-ties. It probably is personal property of Princess Irene and not in the jewel foundation of the family, so she might have sold it. But to my surprise the earrings recently were worn twice by Princess Margarita of Parma (daughter of Irene), so who knows...

The tiara & necklace was given to Irene by her grandmother Wilhelmina btw, it is said that Wilhelmina wrapped it in a newspaper (or carton).

--

The problem with the Dutch jewels is that almost all of the parures were made between 1880 and 1900, so the style is somewhat neo-gothic.

Anyway, dispite the ugliness I certainly hope to see this parure soon.....has been hidden away in the vaults since the state visit of Juliana to Britain in the early 70-ties.

courtesy: Mardam on the Benelux Royals MB.

The center stone is perfectly positioned on the Norwegian emerald tiara however I think the size is what seems too much. I thought the original tiara with the two pear shaped emeralds still in place might help the look of it but it still appears off to me. I love the craftsmanship of the tiara and, other than the center stone, it is truly lovely. As I have said before, it doesn't belong in the worst royal jewels thread but we have enjoyed some lively and entertaining posts regarding it.

The Mellerio ruby parure is another matter! Or at least the tiara is. I agree with Janet, it looks like Christmas garland. Unfortunately there is no easy fix for it. It just looks odd and not at all regal. I do love the necklace. Its gorgeous!

The link to the peacock parure isn't working so no opinions on it (for the moment) ;)

Cat

Last edited:
Marengo, that is a fabulous picture you posted! The parue works so well with that gown. I agree, it needs to re-emerge. I think Beatrix does not wear it because she is prone to headaches--

The center stone is perfectly positioned on the Norwegian emerald tiara however I think the size is what seems too much. I thought the original tiara with the two pear shaped emeralds still in place might help the look of it but it still appears off to me. I love the craftsmanship of the tiara and, other than the center stone, it is truly lovely. As I have said before, it doesn't belong in the worst royal jewels thread but we have enjoyed some lively and entertaining posts regarding it.
Cat
I wish I had photoshop - I have an idea for how to fix the out-of-balance issue by putting the large-pear shaped emeralds back where they were, and repositioning the diamond-shaped emeralds.

But you know, if you look at the link I posted upthread, specifically at the tiny B&W photo on the left of Queen Sofia wearing it, it looks like more than just the pear-shaped emeralds were removed - it seems as if there were oval or round emeralds toward the back that have been replaced by the honeysuckle motif. The balance of the large green stones along the top (from tall to short) seems perfect.

I think this poor tiara probably began its life as a well-balanced thing of beauty, but then was discreetly fiddled with from time to time. And it suffered for it (though I don't think it belongs in the worst jewels thread, either!).

Last edited:
Some people just can't leave well enough alone! :eek: Why is it the jewels that should be dismantled and recreated are still around and the lovely ones are ripped apart? Makes no sense to me. Still if the world was full of perfect jewels we wouldn't have much to talk about here.:D

Cat

This is where my incomplete knowledge of European history in general (and Norwegian history in particular) is bound to get me into trouble, but my guess is that perhaps there have been times that they've needed the money, and had to sell off bits of the jewelry. (As we've seen only recently after Princess Margaret's death, even things belonging to royals aren't immune from being sold.) The link that I'd provided made reference to the original necklace as having had seven pendants, and that there is now only one left. I'm theorizing that, rather than sell off the parure altogether, they just lost the lesser bits of it as necessary, in order to keep as much of it as they could.

Just a theory!!! I'm only hazarding a guess here. :flowers:

I wish we could have seen it in its original form - it looks like a beauty.

Well, maybe they had some parts/pendants removed to make earrings, which only became fashionable late in the 19th century I believe. Dutch Queen Wilhelmina refused to wear earrings for example, she found them 'too American'. So her daughter Juliana altered several pieces of jewels after she got her hands on the goodies, remoning pendants and such to create earrings. This happened to the Dutch emerald parure for example, but maybe with other parures too (in this case the Norwegian one).

Another option would be that some pendants were given/inherited by other family members. It seemsto me rather unlikely that the Norwegians had to sell some jewels (though I am not aware of Princess Ingeborgs financial situation).

The peacock tiara didn't look too bad on Princess Irene... but the rest of the Dutch Royal Family, argh. At least the ones born into the family.

I have to say that the Dutch ladies of the older generation have a peculiar way of wearing their tiaras...sort of like the 1960s never ended...

For the most part, I don't think the Dutch jewels are visually offensive. HOWEVER, much as I try to like it, that spikey sapphire tiara just looks gross to me...

Well said, Prince of Chota! I find some of the Dutch Jewels lovely, but for the most part they seem out-dated and don't possess a timeless quality like the BRF jewels. Of course, we have Queen Mary to thank for all of that. She had a wonderful eye. Weren't most of the Dutch parues assembled during the "Age of Oppulance" and big hairstyles? The stones are beatiful and deserve to be reworked into more timeless pieces. That sapphire tiara is a good place to begin, and the Mellerino Ruby tiara should be second!

Personally I think the British RF has some monsters too, that can compete with the Dutch ones. Luckily for Queen Elizabeth, her grandmother went shopping with the Russian relatives, which brought some nice pieces in the collection. Wilhelmina sadly was too frugal for that and tried all she could to keep her Russian relatives from visiting The Netherlands.

Most of the Dutch collection has been made or altered from 1880 to 1900, after that date very little happened except the aquired aquamarine parure of Juliana (not succesfull on Maxima, worked very well when Juliana was older, in her white hair).

Marengo you are, of course, right. I was too hasty--there are some whoppers in the British Royal collection, mainly the Burmese ruby tiara. UGH. The design is pretty on paper, as shown in Munn's opus, and even upclose the piece is nice--but it doesn't wear well. Pity--its a waste of rubies. My other least favorite is the Westminster Pearl Tiara. Doesn't work the way it is. And, as we have discussed, the Brazilian Aquamarine tiara, well, it is simply hideous.
My favorite Dutch tiara is the Bandeau tiara with its wonderfully graduated diamonds arranged simply, yet perfectly and beautifully on a nice frame. I love it. But, then again, I also liked Maxima's wedding tiara (the one with the stars) I know a lot of you hate it, but I like a little touch of whimsey every now and again. But, I do love Maxima, she looks to have stars in her eyes when she smiles. She's a lovely crown princess.
It doesn't hurt that she looks spectacular in most of those jewels.

Last edited:
I think the burmese ruby tiara would look much better if the redesign the flower (or what it is) motiv on the left and right side of the central ruby.

I think the dutch have not only ugly tiaras. The Württembergi dianmond and pearl tiara is wonderfull in the full setting with upright pearl-spikes but unfortunately Beatrix never wears it this way. Also the pavlovnik pearl-spike tiara and the pearl-button tiara are beautiful. The small diamond tiara which Beatrix often wears is also nice and the emerald-tiara in the setting as last worn by Máxima is also much better than before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's look at some Dutch pieces, because I have to tell you, I'm going to eat my words. They have some lovely pieces, some that are bulky, some I don't like, but there are several that I just love!

This pearl tiara? Antique Pearl Tiara it is versitile--but I think the pearls are touch too big for the piece, but is is a nice piece-it wouldn't belong here.

Queen Emma's diamond tiara: Queen Emma's Diamond Tiara I like it in its current form--and you can interchange some of the diamonds to rubies. I do love versitility.

I love the Laurel Wreath tiara: Laurel Wreath Tiara it is just beautiful--right up there with the bandeau, in my opinion.

Wurtttenberg Pearl Tiara: Wurttemberg Pearl Tiara
I'm not sure how I feel about it--but it has come a long way. It appearst to be a versitile piece--and has a lot of history. It probably wouldn't belong here.

I LOVE the diamond stars tiara, I really do. I know some hate it, but I think it is a charming piece:
Diamond Stars Tiara

Now, I don't really like the sapphire tiara--it looks painful and the design doesn't work for me, personally.
Wedding Gift Parure

this one is better but I don't love it:
Sapphire Parure

Love emeralds, love this set:
Sapphire Parure

Don't like the tiara, love the brooch:
Ruby Peacock Parure

So, it appears that I was dreadfully, dreadfully wrong. The Dutch do have a lot of older style tiaras, but they have some beautiful ones as well. I love this Dutch Jewels Site--it is amazing--the history of the pieces is there, and it is so very informative. I've bookmarked it.

So, I was thinking--about ruby tiaras. Specifically these two.
The Burmese Ruby Tiara
The Mellerino Ruby Tiara
There has been considerable discussion devoted to the two and their places on this forum, the best forum in Cyberspace--the Worst Royal Jewels thread.
Which one is the WORST??? I'm going to throw my opinion out there--
I've been pretty vocal about my dislike of both pieces---but I think that the worst one is the Burmese Ruby tiara. The design just falls flat--it looks good on paper, and close up it is very nice. But, the Mellerino Ruby tiara--well, it has potential. I love the stones, etc... and I think if I had to choose a ruby tiara it would have to be the Mellerino piece. It doesn't look like a fireworks display.

There are some ugly pieces in the Dutch collection (or, more correctly, strange-looking). However, I think that the Danish collection is actually the most disappointing. The gold flower thing not included, I think that the overall quality of the workmanship is somewhat lacking; the pieces all look sort of rough. Especially that ugly chunky emerald parure.

I have to honestly say that the piece I've seen that I find the most hideous is the Maria Pavlona of Sweden Tiara this one. I don't know what became of it, but I sure hope someone made something more royal out of it! To me, it looks like something you would give a beauty queen (and a cheap one) for a contest win!:whistling:

Last edited:
Good Heavens, what on earth are you people thinking. There is the magnificent pearl tiara, the glorious floral tiara with that gorgeous necklance of immense diamonds, the incredible ruby parure of CP Mary and then this magnificent emerald ensemble. There are also a number of other wonderful trinkets, it is true that some of the goodies are basically rotten apples but that is true of virtually every collection worthy of the name. Admittedly the poppy space queen horror show is in a class all its own. Nothing really equals or surpasses it although there are horrors aplenty to give it a run for the money. But that is like the old maid and demented aunt with a hunch back and bad breath and even worse mannners whom one keeps hidden away in the attic. But bad workmanship??? Not a chance. Cheers.

That Danish emerald parue--I think the picture of it alone just does not do it justice. The second link shows it being worn and I really like it--it reminds me of Princess Mary's.

The picture of the parue by itself have a yellow tint to them--making it look a bit garish and well, cheap. But, on, it has this lacy platinum/white gold set with diamonds and emeralds composition that is simply beautiful! The photo of it by itself does not do it justice at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom