Worst Royal Jewels 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Rania's new tiara. I don't like the hairstyle she chose to debut it with, though. Now that Hesse tiara...I can't help but hope it was one of the pieces that was stolen and dismantled, for the House of Hesse's sake.
;-)

...and I can't see the Dutch tiara in question, but as for passing a judement about the entire Oranje-Nassau collection, I think that would be making a very broad generalisation. I think that the Dutch have some very nice tiaras. What can't be fixed is that helmet-hair of Queen Beatrix (which I am quite fond of). However, when I think of the MANY tiaras that Maxima has displayed for us, I can really only think of one or perhaps two that I don't like. And then there are others, like the Mellerio Ruby parure, which I thought looked simply regal on Queen Juliana, which somehow didn't work out as well on Maxima. But as for the pieces themselves, they are very beautiful pieces and very finely made. I sometimes question the craftsmanship of other collections, including some of the pieces of the Danish Royal Family. The Rosenberg (sp?) Tiara, in particular.

Well, dear Your Highness and members of the list, I have just looked over a part of the Dutch royal jewels and must say I feel as though I have either been through a circus gemstone freak show or a 1930's grade B movie house of horrors. How could they exhibit such monumental bad taste and such expensive bad taste with such superb jewels to boot. Take the pearls, ghastly. Totaly out of place.

Then there is that two or three storey contraption on top of Queen Wilhemina, the stones are simply magnificent but the woman looks like the first act in a circus elephant show, riding in on Bimbo to the cheers of the popcorn crowd. As for that star thingie of Maxima's I can only say from the jewels, and the gems and the bad taste of the House of O-N Good Lord Deliver Us. cheers.?????

I'm a bit more on Marengo's side, Thomas. (Unusual: you and I more often agree on these things)...I have to agree that Q Anna's tiara looks better without the pearls (as well as without that bubble hairstyle Maxima last wore it with)...As far as Q Wilhelmina's multistorey tiara--which would you be referring to? Every country seems to have its share of ghastly Victorian contraptions. Queen Mary of the UK had so HIDEOUS pieces of her own.

About Dutch tiaras:
- I like antique pearl tiara but this from the past - the way how Queen Anna has wore it. I don't like the present version specially how Maxima use it - without pearls.
- The present version of the pearl button tiara is not my favourite. It looks better with stars. But not in close up!
- The diamond&pearl setting emerald tiara is just terrible.
- The diamond bandeau tiara looks much more as a necklace not like a tiara.
- The ears of wheat tiara doesn't look good too. Awful!
- The festoon tiara looks like devil's horns.
- The second setting mellerio sapphire tiara is quite nice (Mabel wore it on her wedding).

- Mellerio and sapphire parures are quite impressive but not an aquamarine parure. Did Beatrix ever wore stuart/house diamond parure.

I hate Madleine's aquamarine Tiara and the duth Ears of Wheat Tiara just as Victorias 4 button thing....
Also Rania's new Tiara ( how can you spend money on that?), Silvias Kamee Tiara and Sonia's new Tiara ( ughs...)

Other royal jewels are sometimes not my taste, but I think on the right princess they look good

Last edited:
Well, good people, I told you, all of you, that I am an idiot. A screaming raving mongoloid idiot. I cannot for the life of me find that blasted sight (or is it site???) where they list all the Dutch Royal Jewels. Maybe it is just as well. I started to raving and foaming at the mouth the last time I looked at it and all but had a first class fit. It is the best thing that ever happened to the Dutch Republican Party. Of course Wilhelmina was quite a gal. Brains and backbone galore. Juliana, apart from a few foibles was fine and as far as I can tell Beatrix is excellent. But ye gods and little fishes. No wonder Beatrix has headaches and wears only that tiny inconspicuous contraption. As for Maximas star wars outer space thingie, she should take it to Holywood and sell it at aution. I can see Angie or Jen or which ever or whatever is Brad Pitt's latest inamorata or maybe one of Tom Kruses erstwhile followers wearing the contraption, to great effect now. With
Brad Pitt in his emerald aigrette and diamond emerald fig leaf to the adoration of the drooling masses.

As for the rest, I cannot find it to copy off and wax venemous about it and as it is hot as all forty here in SC-106, 107 Farenheit here- I NEED TO GET really nasty about something. I really am tired of being a saint you know. It is just not my forte. Good and patient and kind, ugh. Where is Juliana in all her horrors when you need her. I am going home and OD on Chocolate ice cream and ginger snaps. And suck my thumb. Cheeres.

I hate Madleine's aquamarine Tiara and the duth Ears of Wheat Tiara just as Victorias 4 button thing....
Also Rania's new Tiara ( how can you spend money on that?), Silvias Kamee Tiara and Sonia's new Tiara ( ughs...)

Other royal jewels are sometimes not my taste, but I think on the right princess they look good
Both Madeleine's first tiara - a diamond and aquamarine tiara, given by the King and Queen to their daughter princess Madeleine as an 18th birthday gift. It once belonged to Crownprincess Margaret and consists of 2 diamond bands centered with a large oval aquamarine. This tiara has also been worn by the King's sister, princess Désirée.
and Victoria's four button tiara - a tiara made out of 4 diamond buttons. King Carl XIV Johan, the former Jeap-Baptiste Bernadotte owned 10 of these buttons, out of the remaining 6 buttons a second tiara had been made are really terrible. Sweden | Diadem - Diamand Buttons of the Queen Luisa-Ulrika

I like Silvia's (Empress Josephine's) cameo tiara is simply beautiful. Royalty Danjel
Princess Birgitta of Sweden Wedding Prince Hans-Georg of Hohenzollern

Btw.
Great site about Dutch jewels http://www.royaldutchjewels.nl/index.html

I try to remember that much of the Dutch collection was made for an earlier time when hairstyles would have been "taller." I think their saving grace is that they can be modified from time to time ie: Antique Pearl Tiara. I love this tiara's base without the pearls.

Sophie's necklace doesn't look as bad with that suit as it did with her wedding dress. It was horrible with her wedding dress.

But it still looks pretty bad. I have never been really wild about black pearls in any case, so it may be a question of taste. Then there are those gaps and the fact that she needs a good two strands of pearls. With pearls the more the merrier I say, a la Queen Mary et al. You should almost drip with the things. I like big ones too, and pendent pearls galore and pearl drops. Maybe some kind of diamond circles with black pearls drops would be too awful for words or fabulous. Who knows. Cheers.

I never really liked the wedding pearls either. I think that Sophie rarely if ever(maybe on their wedding anniversary once a year) wears them. So i would guess that she doesn't really like them either and is just being diplomatic and kind to her husband

Why can't she just take out the black thingies, remove the cross and restring the whole business as a nice set of ordianry but hopefully real pearls. Simple, diignified, lovely and elegant. cheers.

Why can't she just take out the black thingies, remove the cross and restring the whole business as a nice set of ordianry but hopefully real pearls. Simple, diignified, lovely and elegant. cheers.

She should just "lose" them (oops:rolleyes: ;)) and ask to borrow some of Queen Mary's pearls- that'd make Thomas a happier camper.

I posted two photoshopped versions of the necklace in the photoshopping royal tiaras and jewels thread. Link

Last edited:
I wonder if it's just that simple, could Sophie, or a royal female, ask HM for the loan of pearls... or a tiara, or whatever. Do you think there's a protocol for it? Or does HM simply decide that she's tired of looking at Sophie in the same old jewelry?

You know a really good strand of large 14-16mm South Seas black pearls is a thing of great beauty. I just dont like the combined colors. I have seen ladies wear a double strand of one black and one white or golden, which looks great. I'm also not wild about the cross, being an atheist myself. But Sophie is a good sport to wear it to make DH happy. Let's hope he buys her a great 'baby present', which in my house is an occasion of diamond jewelry!:flowers:

I like what you did with the Sophie wedding pearl necklace in your photoshopped picture.. She really doesn't need that cross hanging down.
I posted two photoshopped versions of the necklace in the photoshopping royal tiaras and jewels thread. Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, good people, the noble Ms. Lady K has struck again. I am glad, happy and cheered enormously that my raving insanity has inspired or possibly depressed someone into actually doing something about some of these royals monumental bad taste. It is interesting. I do not know which of the necklaces I prefer. The cross thing is not bad but the simple necklace is simply lovely. I think I prefer it. Please notice however, and most interestingly she is still wearing the earings with black pearls and they work very well.

As for getting goodies out of Queen Elizabeth II, that would be on the order I suppose of approaching Fafner the Dragon (do I have my names right here-Wagner can be such a bore) and asking to borrow some of the golden hoard.
Let us see: does one just ring up Lillibet and say well old girl, you know, and Lord you must know by now, that being married to Charlie has its rouch spots and has resulted in my developing this terrible bald spot. Would You mind terribly if I pinched the Delhi Durbar with emeralds and necklaces and stomacher and earings and bracelet to wear to the coal miners awards dinner to relieve my depression??? After all a nice headache certainly can be a distraction from other headaches and pains one dares not mentioin, least of all in the royal Presence.

Or. option 2 does one send ones own underling to talk to QEII's underling about which jewels underling no. 1 can heist for the dinner for the Regent of Sawziland tomorrow night. We are having a horrible time finding the right jewels to match this dress Charlie bought or was rather given to him while on tour to the Gulf states, etc. etc.

You must admit these people have interesting and unusual problems. Warren, could you kindly enlighten us how these things are done, after taking more of the aspirin you keep by your computer table. Cheeers.

Well, good people, the noble Ms. Lady K has struck again. I am glad, happy and cheered enormously that my raving insanity has inspired or possibly depressed someone into actually doing something about some of these royals monumental bad taste. It is interesting. I do not know which of the necklaces I prefer. The cross thing is not bad but the simple necklace is simply lovely. I think I prefer it. Please notice however, and most interestingly she is still wearing the earings with black pearls and they work very well.

Depress me? nah, you don't depress me- make me laugh, but not depress me. I like the suggestions!

I didn't even notice the earrings were black pearl too.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick up for the Swedish Cameo tiara to the bitter end. But that Jeep tiara that Victoria has been saddled with is horrible.

I also really like Madeleine's Aquamarine tiara because it's a bit unusual. Ooh, Victoria's 18th birthday or first tiara (whatever you call it) is HIDEOUS, though.

From the Netherlands jewels, I actually find the so-called "small floral tiara" extremely clumsy. Really only the coiffure of Beatrix herself can carry off that strange shape.

Sometimes I don't like the Cameo tiara as much- some of the more recent times Silvia has worn it haven't been as bad.

But it should NEVER be worn with a wedding veil! Some of the other tiaras are much better suited for that purpose.

I think the "Dites Moi" ring Dodi was allegedly buying Diana was pretty hideous. Reminded me of a Super Bowl championship ring. (It kills me how some people with money have such awful taste.)

I think the "Dites Moi" ring Dodi was allegedly buying Diana was pretty hideous. Reminded me of a Super Bowl championship ring. (It kills me how some people with money have such awful taste.)

Ugh, true enough. I can't imagine her wanting to wear it. Her pieces were usually very tasteful, if sometimes a tad eccentric.

Well, good people, you should see some of the goodies from the 19th century America to see some really absolutely hideous bad taste. Of course these people were not royalty, but they certainly liked to pretend that they were. Some of these goodies where one creature with obviously more money than sense pretending to be Maria Theresa are just hysterical. then we do have some real royal and imperial horrors. I for one have never been able to stomach the diadem of ancient pearls in the Russian Crown jewels collection, although I do not doubt that other members will most heartily disagree with me. Then there was one Portugese monstrosity that can only be described as positively revolting. Unfortunately I do not have the technical ability to be able to share these malignant delights with the members here. You will just have to take my word for it. Cheers.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, and I'll say it again--I love this thread!:wub: It is my favorite one. Hands down, no contest. That being said, Iowabelle and Kimebear, your discussion of the ring Dodi bought for Diana set me off on a search of its image online and I found it and YEAH, it is UGLY. Not her style at all. But, as disturbingly ugly as that ring is, the website I found that talks about the ring's final resting place was much more disturbing--I think it is just someone's blog and she just took the pictures---
check it out:

July, 2001 Visit to Diana and Dodi Memorial at Harrod's

Okay, the preserved wine glass is just creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom