The Princess of Asturias and The Infanta Sofía's News Thread, Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't she too young?

She won't start until fall 2023, she'll be 18 in October of that year.

I am not sure that she'll enjoy it as much as Elisabeth who seemed to like the 'sports' part of military training but it seems she doesn't have much of a choice.

Isn't she too young?

The princess would start the army with 17 years, like her father. She is three years old so she would start college with 20, so it is convenient that she begins the passage through the army as soon as possible.
The only thing that could change for Leonor in the army is if the government prevented the plans for her from being carried out ... but I don't think it's that easy to make the royal house change her plans.
The king has always said that her passage through the army was an unparalleled experience and in fact, today he keeps many military friends.

The princess would start the army with 17 years, like her father. She is three years old so she would start college with 20, so it is convenient that she begins the passage through the army as soon as possible.
The only thing that could change for Leonor in the army is if the government prevented the plans for her from being carried out ... but I don't think it's that easy to make the royal house change her plans.
The king has always said that her passage through the army was an unparalleled experience and in fact, today he keeps many military friends.
Thank you for the background information regarding the King's own experience. janelarn. :flowers: Hopefully his daughter will also find it to be a worthwhile one.

My impression is that Spaniards are more "nationalistic" than the Belgians for example, so, after leaving the military academies, Leonor will probably do her undergraduate degree at a Spanish university and then do a master's degree overseas, probably in the US, rather than going straight overseas for a bachelor's. That would mirror her father's education exactly, which is OK, but tells something in my opinion about Leonor not having much room for personal choice compared to other heirs.

Last edited:
I think Juan Carlos spent time at Pontevedra and Murcia too, and the friends or contacts he made there were of utmost importance especially during the early years of his kingship, as he said later.
His whole circle in the beginning consisted of military men not only in the beginning, I think even at the time Letizia came into the family she found Zarzuela very much a military environment.

I think Juan Carlos spent time at Pontevedra and Murcia too, and the friends or contacts he made there were of utmost importance especially during the early years of his kingship, as he said later.
His whole circle in the beginning consisted of military men not only in the beginning, I think even at the time Letizia came into the family she found Zarzuela very much a military environment.
Felipe will have made a similar experience and therefore it's no surprise for Leonor to follow the path or her father and grandfather, since it served them well.

If they expect Leonor to have the exact same experience as her father and grandfather, I think they're dreaming.

If they expect Leonor to have the exact same experience as her father and grandfather, I think they're dreaming.

Not exact, but who knows. It doesn't do any harm to be close to the military, especially as future Commander-In-Chief. It's important that Leonor will be taken seriously in that respect, even more so that she's a woman.

TLLK Thank you for your kind reply.:flowers:

Mbruno
Leonor's studies will be closely supervised by a committee, well thought out, and they do seem quite "predictable", because she will surely go to law school, some economics, an international master's degree, but it may surprise us if they are able to choose any training more current adding other aspects of current life.
Although Eleanor's path seems very marked, we have to remember that the choice to study in Wales was the initiative of Eleanor herself. So she will be "heard" and her opinions will be taken into account.
Duke of Marmalade
Indeed, King Juan Carlos I also passed through the Military Academies of Zaragoza, Marín and San Javier, just like Felipe VI, so it is expected that Leonor will have the same route.
The crown has always been closely linked to the military field and the only thing that has not yet done is to be named an honorary soldier of the Infantry Regiment "Immemorial of the King No. 1"(Regimiento de infantería Inmemorial del Rey nº 1) I suppose they do not want to link childhood with the army, but in some moment, it will be done.
https://ejercito.defensa.gob.es/unidades/Madrid/rinf1/Noticias/2017/69.html

Prinsara
Leonor will have a different experience as Juan Carlos I and Felipe VI were surely so distant. But surely her training will be even more complete than theirs.

Women are fully integrated into the Spanish army, even in very tough bodies like the "Legion", so there is no problem in designing her military career.

Actually the organization chart of the Royal House includes a Head of the House, a General Secretariat and a "Cuarto Militar" who, among other functions, is in charge of the team of field aides, made up of nine soldiers from the three Armies and the Civil Guard. who permanently assists the monarch, as well as the queen in their official activities.

https://www.casareal.es/ES/Transpar...cion-y-presupuesto_organigrama-funciones.aspx

Last edited:
I imagine her training will be very similar to her father's in structure, but I can't see any reason why military training, in general, will be a problem. I doubt she will be dropped at boot camp with no idea as to what's coming.

I'm excited to see if she chooses pilot training when the time comes like her father did. We have one pilot princess already in Jordan.

In other words Princess Leonor begins her Easter holidays :previous:

On Thursday, April 14, Princess Leonor finishes her classes at the UWC Atlantic College to enjoy a few days of vacation in which she already has an official appearance scheduled.
As Vanitatis has confirmed, the Princess of Asturias already has at least one event scheduled during her stay in Spain.
https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...cesa-regreso-casa-reaparicion-espana_3405251/

Not much of a vacation then. Imagine yourself as a teenager who, after months of hard work at school, rather than spending your Spring Break in leisure activities (partying, etc.), must go back home to work for your family (in Leonor's case, attend official royal engagements). Well, I guess the Princess is used to that kind of life and understands that is her duty and a price to pay for the privilege of being the heir to the Crown and, one day, possibly the reigning Queen.

I am sure classmate Alexia will have her share of partying ;) we'll see what kind of event will be created for Leonor since the usual Mallorca Easter Mass outing will not take place. We have not seen Leonor since the PoA last October, almost 6 months ago. It's time to show the future Queen again.

The Spanish RF have the hardest working ethic amongst all the royal houses and it seems they are passing this on to the PoA. It will serve her and her country well. I look forward to seeing her and hope she gets some rest in between.

The Spanish Royal House now seems to take care of all its events and its schedule very carefully. It's good that Leonor whenever she goes to Spain appears at some event. Even because Leonor is the heir to the Spanish crown.

That's incredible and speaks volume of the training and obvious confidence her parents have in her. Go Leonor!!!

Last edited:
Great event for Leonor! She looks comfortable but very different somehow, like a young woman. The child has gone.
Is something wrong with her teeth? In some pictures there are big gaps on the side and she seems to avoid a big smile.

Great choice for her first few solo event. She looks comfortable and relaxed, but engaged and enthusiastic.

In some angles she looks like Letizia a lot (of course), but also looks like Elisabeth of Belgium, especially the nose and mouth (the shape of the lips).

As well as similar coloring She and The Duchess of Brabant have the same air and poise, regal but approachable and relaxed. Her parents have raised a young Queen to be very well :)

She seems to be more relaxed and confident, as earlier. It was a good choice to send her to abroad.

Leonor today was more relaxed, seemed happy and confident. It was a good decision for her to go study abroad.

Bravo Leonor what a confident young lady and hard to be will be 17 in 6 months!

What in the Holy Teapot happened?!?

They have both all of a sudden grown up!
They were still children only a few months ago.

I think the answer is: Leonor went to UWC. She was always kept 'small' it seems and has been able to create her own path (within boundaries of course) for the last year and it shows. I don't see as much change in Sofia who was the less childish of the two for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom