The Princess of Asturias and The Infanta Sofía's News Thread, Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't and will never know if Leonor has a genuine interest in the military.
We have a quote of Queen Letizia that indicates that the 3 year military stint is not what Leonor wanted to do but what her role asks of her.
https://www.hola.com/us/royals/2021...tion-daughter-princess-leonor-future-destiny/

Anyway, I think repeating the way of the father and the grandfather was the safest option, it is a tested way and any deviation from it would have caused huge discussions in the media probably to the disadvantage of Leonors image.

We have a quote of Queen Letizia that indicates that the 3 year military stint is not what Leonor wanted to do but what her role asks of her.
https://www.hola.com/us/royals/2021...tion-daughter-princess-leonor-future-destiny/

Anyway, I think repeating the way of the father and the grandfather was the safest option, it is a tested way and any deviation from it would have caused huge discussions in the media probably to the disadvantage of Leonors image.

We have a quote but not about the military.

The quote was from when Leonor was 14. And it was about being queen in general. Not about the military. It was the same answer you'd expect from every royal parent about their heir 'duty before pleasure'. That 'they don't have a choice in their future, they will do their duty to their country'.

Letizia was simply saying asking Leonor what she wants to do in the future is a bit pointless. Her role has been assigned, and she will do her duty as her father and grandfather before her. It is is not a statement at all on her opinion on joining the military academy.

That quote from Letizia was not given in the slightest kind of military context and the question was made years ago, from a fellow teen, before Leonor went to Wales, when she was too nervous to respond herself. I think it's an extreme stretch to apply it now.

I distinctly remember William as a teenager saying he either didn't want to or was not planning on entering the military -- clearly, things change.

We also have no evidence that Leonor is unhappy, uninterested, or doesn't want to be where she is -- this is entirely based on conjecture from a few photos where everyone looks serious and engaged, not a photo-op. Perhaps it's best we wait and see? (And again, I don't remember anyone suggesting Elisabeth was marched into the Academy with her arm twisted for no good reason, or a brouhaha about Christian needing to complete years of military training and being given no choice but to do it and succeed.)

Well, the heir from a "Machista" country is doing far more for equality than the heirs from Nordic countries. Countries that, by the way, usually have disproportionally high prevalence rates of intimate partner violence against women.

Thats probably because it is the only way for her to be taken seriously. I for ond am glad that military service is not considered a requirement for future monarchs in all countries but that will of course also depend on their future role in the military.

However, I seem to recall reading sonewhere that Leonor will not end up with a degree because she will do three different programs for one year.

Yes, that is correct and has been discussed in the "Royal Military Service" forum.

However, I seem to recall reading sonewhere that Leonor will not end up with a degree because she will do three different programs for one year.

Yes unlike her classmates, Leonor will finish without degree what is a tailormade military education for her.

Well, the heir from a "Machista" country is doing far more for equality than the heirs from Nordic countries. Countries that, by the way, usually have disproportionally high prevalence rates of intimate partner violence against women.

Thats probably because it is the only way for her to be taken seriously. [...]

I'm not sure that working for gender equality is necessary for the Princess of Asturias to be taken seriously, since it is not something expected of most royals, but at the same time, I will reiterate my question asking what the Princess of Asturias has done for gender equality that other heirs have not done.

The Royal Decree of March 14, 2023 approving the special program of military formation for the Princess of Asturias, which outlines it in detail:

https://boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-2023-6731

The Palace's announcement of March 14, 2023:

https://casareal.es/ES/AreaPrensa/Paginas/area_prensa_comunicados_interior.aspx?data=122

The syllabus of the General Military Academy at Zaragoza, which the Princess will attend for the 2023-2024 academic year:

https://ejercito.defensa.gob.es/en/.../Estudios/CGET-GC-ingreso-sin-titulacion.html

I don't think that is what the OP meant to say. Instead, the original message was questioning if Leonor is genuinely interested in military life (as I think her father was at her age), or if she is doing it just because she has no choice.

I don't know the answer honestly, but the second option is not implausible.

It may not be what she would have chosen for herself. Rotating through three academies in three years sets her apart from her peers and could make it hard to feel really connected to her classmates. And then she’ll be three years older than the other students in her year when she goes to university. But I doubt they’d force her if she was completely unsuited or truly couldn’t stomach the idea of three full years of military training.

It may not be what she would have chosen for herself. Rotating through three academies in three years sets her apart from her peers and could make it hard to feel really connected to her classmates. And then she’ll be three years older than the other students in her year when she goes to university. But I doubt they’d force her if she was completely unsuited or truly couldn’t stomach the idea of three full years of military training.

Actually Leonor (born October 2005) will not be that old when she goes to university. Her military trainings will be completed in mid-2026. She will be 20+ years old at that time.

For comparison, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway (born January 2004) is 19+ years old now. She just graduated from high school a couple monts ago. She will be go to military for a year. Her military trainings will be completed at the end of 2024 (correct me if I am wrong). She will be almost 21 years old at that time.

Actually Leonor (born October 2005) will not be that old when she goes to university. Her military trainings will be completed in mid-2026. She will be 20+ years old at that time.

For comparison, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway (born January 2004) is 19+ years old now. She just graduated from high school a couple monts ago. She will be go to military for a year. Her military trainings will be completed at the end of 2024 (correct me if I am wrong). She will be almost 21 years old at that time.

Absolutely. And I can't speak for Spain but here in Denmark, the average age to start university at is about 21-22 because many young people do one or more gap years these days.

Great pictures! Wishing her all the best.

An emotional day for her parents today :flowers:

Clearly Leonor and Alexia enjoyed their two years, as their younger sisters head off to UWC. Though Arianne to a different location. Like their big sisters, both girls looked happy and excited to set off on their new schooling adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, Sofia does look great anyway and hope she has a heat sixth form!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly enough, this would be four times the pictures than the one I remember of Leonor arriving at school in Wales.

I wonder who was responsible for taking them (obviously not Sofia) and putting them up?

I think that Leonor had two shootings too.
One at the airport with her family and one in Wales in the castle inner court

I think that Leonor had two shootings too.
One at the airport with her family and one in Wales in the castle inner court

Yes, but it was only the one from Wales, when obviously it would be easier to have someone taking pictures at the airport/Zarzuela. It's curious to wonder who did it for Sofia this time (and this involved her walking around a bit, not just posing for one shot), considering it almost certainly wasn't anyone involved officially at UWC (and Casa Real gives no credits).

Last edited:
Is there any update on what will happen on Leonor`s 18th birthday? There have to be plans in case the election situation is not resolved and it is deemed impossible to take the oath before the cortes generales.
I doubt there will be a party of any kind a la Christian Denmark.

And she will awarded with the Spanish Orders, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom