The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comment #324 in Bieber's Book of Wisdom. Great bathroom reading material.

Baldness in men is heredity and some of the sexiest men in the world have been bald. Also, we don"t know the long term side effect of those hair restoring products. Bieber has a lot of growing up to do. The human brain doesn"t fully develope until about age 24.

As a (bald) friend of mine says... a bald man is a solar powered sex machine.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror Prince William captained a crew that saved the lives of two teenage girls off the coast of Anglesey this afternoon

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror
Prince William led the five-man crew who pulled the 13-year-old and 16-year-old to safety

The rescue mission led by Prince William was praised by the RAF as one of its "fastest and shortest" operations - they got there in 38 secs!

Royal to the rescue: Prince William leads mission to save two girls swept out to sea

Royal Newbie said:
Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror Prince William captained a crew that saved the lives of two teenage girls off the coast of Anglesey this afternoon

Prince William led the five-man crew who pulled the 13-year-old and 16-year-old to safety

The rescue mission led by Prince William was praised by the RAF as one of its "fastest and shortest" operations - they got there in 38 secs!

Royal to the rescue: Prince William leads mission to save two girls swept out to sea

Just saw this on my Facebook newsfeed. Thirty-eight seconds! That is quite impressive indeed. I'm glad that everything worked out and the girls are safe.

Well done to William and his crew! They were so quick because they had just landed from another rescue mission when the distress call came: because the crew and the helicopter were fully ready, they were able to be airborne again within seconds.

I wondered how the time from in the air to the rescue could be 28 seconds (well done). Looked up a map of the beach that shows how:

Valley base is at the top of the map when you hit the "-" sizing button a couple of times, The beach is above the point on the shore.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/showmap.php?gridref=SH301749

Prince William certainly deserves accolades and high praise for his participation, but what this story should also signal is recognition of the many, many emergency crews out who are unsung heroes. It's impossible to give them all such praise and media recognition, but they also deserve it.

So a heartfelt "thank you" to all the men and women who have devoted their lives to helping other. :flowers:

Prince Philip: no visitors but responding well to hospital treatment | UK news | guardian.co.uk

One can be glad that William did not captain this SAR-emergency flight. I have no doubt he would have gone a bit farther, risked a bit more to help his grandfather and that could have been potentially fatal.

I doubt William would have been asked even if he had been anywhere near Scotland, but seeing as he works in RAF Valley I don't think he would have been called for this outing.

Prince William certainly deserves accolades and high praise for his participation, but what this story should also signal is recognition of the many, many emergency crews out who are unsung heroes. It's impossible to give them all such praise and media recognition, but they also deserve it.

So a heartfelt "thank you" to all the men and women who have devoted their lives to helping other. :flowers:

I agree, whilst William does good he does the same as thousands of other men and women who go un-noticed. I think it's very unfair.

Of course I know that William couldn't have captained the flight from Lossiemouth, as he is statíoned someplace else. i just wanted to point out that IMHO out of his personal interest and of care for his grandfather he might have tried harder to land than the captain of this SAR-flight. I believe William would risk all for his family.

As for all the unsung heroes: it is hardly newsworthy Britain-wide if an SAR-crew flies to the rescue. But I have no doubt that on each crew's own turf, they are well recognised for the important work they do. :flowers:

Prince Philip: no visitors but responding well to hospital treatment | UK news | guardian.co.uk

One can be glad that William did not captain this SAR-emergency flight. I have no doubt he would have gone a bit farther, risked a bit more to help his grandfather and that could have been potentially fatal.

I doubt, if bad weather then there is not chance in going that further step, then you start risking the lives of those on the mission as well. Moreover, the Duke was not in critical condition.

As much as I like hearing about how hard William works as a SAR pilot the constant articles in the papers and online titled "William saves" etc do annoy me in that they make it sound at Ives as if William does it single handedly when in fact it is very much a team effort for all, its not just William. I imagine from time to time his colleagues must get a bit annoyed

tommy100 said:
As much as I like hearing about how hard William works as a SAR pilot the constant articles in the papers and online titled "William saves" etc do annoy me in that they make it sound at Ives as if William does it single handedly when in fact it is very much a team effort for all, its not just William. I imagine from time to time his colleagues must get a bit annoyed

I don't know about his colleagues being annoyed. In the article I read they stressed the rescue was a team effort and the winchman and the co-pilot were named and quoted. Neither of which would probably have happened to such a wide audience if Prince William had not been the pilot.

I'm on my phone so linking to the article is out of my skill set but I believe it was in the Mirror.

The work of the SAR has received far more attention since William joined up than it generally received beforehand.

The work of the SAR has received far more attention since William joined up than it generally received beforehand.

I was thinking that must be the case. Though William undoubtedly (and understandably) gets a lot of individual attention in these rescues, in general it is a line of work that I knew pretty much nothing about until he started doing it. I think it brings attention to the hard work of many.

Isnt that wonderful? Can you imagine needing help and here comes William to the rescue? Not that we would want to be in a situation that would require that kind of help of course. Its what he has trained for and he does it well Im sure. I do wonder though if he will go part time in order to do more royal duties. Do you think maybe he might give it up completely?

Do you think maybe he might give it up completely?

One day yes he will. It is believed the SAR will be privatised in 2016, I'm unsure so William is likely to lose his job and become a full time royal, unless he gets a SAR desk job. William's current ends next year and as of yet we have not been told what he intends to do.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's a bit of a surprise to those who are being rescued, although maybe they don't know it's him until afterwards?

This looks to me like the RAF are doing their best to get as much positive PR out of having William on their books while they still can. I know SAR is due to be privatised, but the government have made a series of U-turns on defence policy lately. The RAF might be hoping that they can convince them to change the privatisation policy.

Isnt that wonderful? Can you imagine needing help and here comes William to the rescue? Not that we would want to be in a situation that would require that kind of help of course. Its what he has trained for and he does it well Im sure. I do wonder though if he will go part time in order to do more royal duties. Do you think maybe he might give it up completely?

Well we have to keep up with the modern times. Princes no longer come to the rescue on a white steed but in a helicopter.:D

Osipi said:
Well we have to keep up with the modern times. Princes no longer come to the rescue on a white steed but in a helicopter.:D

Oh, what a great premise for a modern-day fairy-tale :D!

Wow. Thats really romantic. Oh well what can you do? We have to move with the times right? It still must be incredible to be rescued by the future King of England! I know I wouldnt mind. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom