The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Harry took part in a charity polo match in Florida.
Meghan Markle was also present.

I really really don’t like sports like polo or steeplechasing. I think they should be banned. We shouldn’t be using animals like this for entertainment.

It was the Grand National today in England. I never watch.

Second day of polo or what they are doing in Miami with netflix in tow.

(Sorry for a link from DM, it was the first that came up.)

A very odd choice IMO for as others have said polo is not a sport that is well supported by the "masses" but maybe a bit like Made in Chelsea, Selling Sunset etc they are hoping will will want to watch others enjoy wealth and elite things.

Harry has to pay 90% of the costs the government made in his case. Apparently, the revelation during trial of 3 non-existing categories, is the reason that the government has to pick up the tab for 10%. I don't understand why something that doesn't officially exist (but was only used to clarify - as was acknowledged by the judge in his verdict) should have been shared with Harry's defense team earlier...

An article in The Daily Mail indicates the government has spent 514,000 pounds. Harry will now have to cover 462,000 of that, as well as his own fees.

He apparently has the right to approach the Court of Appeal directly, but one would hope he chooses not to do so, for the sake of his bank balance, if nothing else...

Prince Harry took part in a charity polo match in Florida.
Meghan Markle was also present.

Meghan's white dress was very pretty. There was also an evening event where she wore a black dress, but so far I have only seen the back of the dress.

Were these events announced ahead of time? For example, we knew Megahn was attending that women's event weeks (if not months) in advance. But as far as I can tell, no advance announcement was made about Harry's polo game.

More information on why Harry needs to pay 90% of the government's bill. Harry's team argued that the cost should have been reduced by 50% but the judge clearly did not agree - while some 'new information' was presented during the court case that should have been presented earlier (resulting in a reduction of 10%), Harry overwhelmingly lost the case, so has to pay the largest amount.

And according to his spokesman, Harry plans to go the Court of Appeal.

Let's hope he doesn't listen to bad advice and makes the mistake to appeal the case. He is not going to win, and I see the only ones interested in getting him railed up to continue would be the lawyers to make him go into more debt.
Time for him to move on and away from asking UK taxpayers to fund his lifestyle demands. There are many private bodyguard companies with employees that could use the jobs, many of them could be former veterans or retired law enforcement officers. Create jobs, Harry, think before you sue.

It's not that Harry doesn't receive government security when in the UK - if he is in the UK related to the royal family, he will most likely be covered (but it is decided on a case by case basis). However, if he is in the UK to attend any private (charity) events, he cannot expect the government to provide (and pay for) security just to keep paparazzi at a distance.

It's not that Harry doesn't receive government security when in the UK - if he is in the UK related to the royal family, he will most likely be covered (but it is decided on a case by case basis). However, if he is in the UK to attend any private (charity) events, he cannot expect the government to provide (and pay for) security just to keep paparazzi at a distance.
One of Harry’s claims against Ravec and the Home Office was that they had treated his case differently and not followed their own guidance. The judge agreed but pointed out that this was to Harry’s advantage as he would be receiving security when he was in the uk. It would be looked at on a visit by visit case. I personally think this was a fair compromise, IMO there would be no difference made between charity work and royal events, but if he is not careful and insists on stamping his feet and making a fuss it might be royal events only. The general public would probably have not taken much notice but the media will, they will be watching to see what level of security and the cost to the tax payer each time he is here.

Harry has to pay 90% of the costs the government made in his case. Apparently, the revelation during trial of 3 non-existing categories, is the reason that the government has to pick up the tab for 10%. I don't understand why something that doesn't officially exist (but was only used to clarify - as was acknowledged by the judge in his verdict) should have been shared with Harry's defense team earlier...
I am glad to see tha t Harry ahs been ordered to pay 90% of the government's legal costs. This should serve as an object lesson to all concerned about not pursuing frivilous litigation.

Meghan has sent 50 numbered pots of strawberry jam to 50 influencers/friends/business relations. I’m not linking a specific article, it’s in all the British press.

Why number the jars?
Because they are as precious as a print of Hyeronimus Bosch or the book of Kells.

Sorry for the sarcasm, it is directed to those who thought it was a good idea. Last summer, out of seven kg of strawberries I made 26 jars of jam. I offered about ten of them as a gift. Should I have numered them?

Why number the jars?
To demonstrate their exclusivity.

I presume this is a cottage industry, and the jam was probably hand made from fruit grown by those that are promoting the said jam. But we are not to know, as we are not one of the 50 recipients of the said jam. I understand those are for influeners only, who may, in turn, influence us into parting with our pennies to buy the said preserve at some stage in the future.

I'm disgusted that it's 90% and not 100%. Why should £50,000 of public money have to be wasted on Harry's ridiculous court case?
The judge imposed the 10% penalty on the government for wasting time during the court case by neglecting to provide the Duke of Sussex with the most recent version of a certain document. See Somebody's earlier post for a good short summary or the judgment in full at the link below. :flowers:

Harry had to apologize to the court after leaking confidential information to an MP, and to someone at Schillings.

Prince Harry was forced to apologise after breaking confidentiality rules in his own High Court case by sharing private information with Johnny Mercer.

Court documents reveal that the Duke of Sussex emailed the veterans minister confidential information concerning his security claim against the Home Office.
———————-
Mr Justice Lane revealed the Duke’s indiscretion in a costs ruling handed down on Monday concerning his failed application for a judicial review.

He said: “In November 2023, the claimant breached the terms of the confidentiality ring order by emailing certain information to a partner of Schillings, who was not within the confidentiality ring, and to the Rt Hon Johnny Mercer MP.”

Source: The Telegraph

One of Harry’s claims against Ravec and the Home Office was that they had treated his case differently and not followed their own guidance. The judge agreed but pointed out that this was to Harry’s advantage as he would be receiving security when he was in the uk. It would be looked at on a visit by visit case. I personally think this was a fair compromise, IMO there would be no difference made between charity work and royal events, but if he is not careful and insists on stamping his feet and making a fuss it might be royal events only. The general public would probably have not taken much notice but the media will, they will be watching to see what level of security and the cost to the tax payer each time he is here.
It was explicitly stated in multiple parts of the judgement that RAVEC was not planning to provide security only to keep paparazzi out of Harry's way (which would mainly be an issue at his private events). Security is about avoiding threats to his life not to deter the nuisance of paparazzi.

Back
Top Bottom