Prince Paul Phillippe of Romania, just arrested in Malta

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toledo

Heir Presumptive
City
Amsterdam, Upstate NY
Country
United States
Now this took me by surprise just now when reading the headline in Spain's El Pais newspaper, the royal news section. I separated the articles with a Romanian standard I found in the new RF emoji section

:romaniastandard:
Prince Paul Phillippe of Romania, (grandson of King Carol of Romania's oldest son) one of the country's notorious fugitives, was captured in Malta:
1. Article Romanian prince detained following arrest over corruption
Excerpt:
"...Romanian prince being remanded in custody on Monday, after being arrested at the request of Romanian authorities, through what his lawyer described as “the vindictiveness of the Romanian royal family.”

...be returned to the country in order to serve a prison sentence following his conviction - which according to reports, is for trading in influence, money laundering and bribery."

1714409885557.png
2. Article Wanted Romanian Prince Detained at Maltese Resort
Excerpt:
"The Bucharest authorities will seek the extradition of Prince Paul-Philippe of Romania after he was apprehended by police on Sunday in Malta. The fugitive royal was convicted in 2020 of corrupt activities related to the illegal restitution of expensive real estate near Bucharest, to which he falsely claimed ownership."

This excerpt is important:
"Although he is known as Prince Paul or Prince Paul-Philippe of Romania, he is not recognized as a member of the House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen nor the Royal House of Romania. He is also known as Paul-Philippe Hohenzollern."
1714409897537.png
Here's the relation to the Royal House of Rumania and his rivarly with Margareta, Custodian of the Crown:

Paul Philippe of Romania: Paul-Philippe al României (born 13 August 1948), also known as Prince Paul of Romania, Paul-Philippe Hohenzollern[1][2] and Paul Lambrino,[3] is the son of Carol Lambrino and Hélène Henriette Nagavitzine. His father was the elder son of King Carol II of Romania and Zizi Lambrino. Paul-Philippe claims that he, and not Margareta of Romania, is the rightful head of the royal house of Romania.

1714409930740.png
3. another article:
Excerpt
Prince Paul Phillippe of Romania, one of the country's notorious fugitives, was captured in Malta at a resort where he was on vacation. Paul of Romania has been on the run for nearly four years from the country, where he was sentenced to 3 years and 4 months in prison in the case regarding the illegal restitution of the Baneasa Royal Farm.

Last edited:
The emoiji looks good, Toledo ;).

I imagine this is Paul Lambrino? He certainly is a source of amazement. I remember him 'crashing' the funeral of the Landgrave of Hesse.
I don't understand much of the case against him and it seems that only a few days ago a French court ruled against extradition.

Last edited:
I imagine this is Paul Lambrino?
The one and only!

I had to check him out in Wikipedia to get his relationship accurate, since he doesn't carry the use of last name his father won in a Portuguese court over Margerete's father.

I'm also reading right now that this family dispute caused in 2011 Margareta's father to break ties with the with the House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen to create the new family name usage the House of Romania.

Last edited:
The book by Marco Houston, former editor of Royalty Magazine, details the relationships between the Hohenzollerns, the Lambrinos, and the Romanians and how these ties changed over time, which ultimately led to a court case in London and, further, to King Michael of Romania trying to separate his House from the House of Hohenzollern, even though he had requested a "title" (or surname, really) for his son-in-law Radu from his cousin Fürst Friedrich Wilhelm. It is fascinating stuff.

Paul Lambrino seems to have a lot of issues with the law over the past few year!

Back
Top Bottom