The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
Prince Harry is allegedly considering further action against the Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) if he is not awarded appropriate damages against the publisher.

A judge has already awarded him 140,600 pounds with respect to 15 of 33 articles selected for examination, out of 148. No agreement has yet been made for the remaining 115 stories.

Archived Telegraph article here

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Share Emotional Message After Senate Child Safety Hearing

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stand with families of children impacted by the pitfalls of social media
By Angel Saunders

Published on January 31, 2024 10:24PM EST

https://people.com/meghan-markle-prince-harry-address-senate-child-safety-hearing-8557229

Harry and Meghan release video of Duchess telling families of children who have been victims of cyber bullying that 'we all just want to feel safe' as couple front campaign calling for 'urgent change in the online space'
By Mark Duell and Jim Norton
Published: 03:26 EST, 1 February 2024 | Updated: 07:01 EST, 1 February 2024

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have released a new video of them urging social media companies to reduce the amount of harmful content children can see online.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex released the clip last night of their appearance at a World Mental Health Day discussion in New York on October 10 last year.
They issued the video on their Archewell website following a US Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child safety which took place in Washington yesterday - and saw politicians warn social media giants: 'You have blood on your hands'.

During yesterday's hearing, Meta boss Mark Zuckerberg stood up and apologised to families who say social media contributed to their children's suicide or abuse.

[...]

In a joint statement accompanying the video on their website, the Sussexes said: 'We applaud the bravery and determination of the thousands of parents around the country whose advocacy resulted in this hearing.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2024/02/01/09/80720251-13032173-image-a-11_1706781528413.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...han-Markle-new-video-child-online-safety.html

Last edited:
And so will I. It was an excellent statement from Harry and Meghan, and so very true. More should and must be done by these social media companies to prevent cyber bullying, even if Mark Zuckerberg’s apologised it rings a bit hollow in the face of inaction.

From the Telegraph:

Prince Harry and Meghan ‘set to release new Netflix documentaries’

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are also working on a scripted television series and a film adaptation as part of their $100m deal

https://archive.ph/TV6ZT

Do they actually have to work on creating these concepts or is that just PR talk? I can imagine Netflix 'buying' their name - as they did with the Obama's- and the couple approving a project suggested to them by Netflix and perhaps have some modest input. But I have a hard time imagining them, the Obama's or most other celebrities actually coming up with concepts themselves. Programme making is a profession.

:previous:
I've had similar thoughts, although the Obamas at least are credited with Leave the World Behind, a top-rated Netflix movie (although personally I thought it was terrible).

I guess time will tell.

From the article - the Netflix person they spoke to sounded a bit vague as if put on the spot:

“And they actually have, like, a bunch of development, they have a movie in development, a (scripted) series that they’re working on. So all very early development, with a movie, a TV show and a couple of unscripted shows. But yeah, the movie’s great.”

The key words here: "All very early development"

Agree about programme making being a profession; and remember the chap at Spotify called them "grifters". IMHO they want to do as little "work" as possible, and Netflix will drop them when their contract is up, but as Mirabel says, time will tell.

Last edited:
Do they actually have to work on creating these concepts or is that just PR talk? I can imagine Netflix 'buying' their name - as they did with the Obama's- and the couple approving a project suggested to them by Netflix and perhaps have some modest input. But I have a hard time imagining them, the Obama's or most other celebrities actually coming up with concepts themselves. Programme making is a profession.

I mean, you're sort of right with the top half. They're producers, and while producers can have some sort of impact and etc when creating a show they mostly fund the show. And I think it just depends on the project.

Heart of Invictus? I'm pretty sure was apart of the direction.

Archetypes (not a tv show but a project from her), she was apart of it.

Live to Lead - I'm pretty sure it was already in production and they helped fund the rest of it.

Pearl - When Netflix cut animation, some of the people working on the project talked about it twitter (x) and said that they were super happy to be working on it, it was bummer and Meghan had some great ideas.

So I think it can very depending on the project and how much they're connected to it. Like, Meghan wants more rom-coms and wants to make rom-coms so I'm guessing, she would be a bit more active in that area. If it was something to do with sports, I expect Harry would be more active but overall, it's a production company and that means funding the projects that come their way or idea's for shows/film.

As for the rest, it is a profession but it doesn't mean someone isn't creative enough to come up with concepts. And no one in a profession does it on their own. There is the snow-runner, producers, exc producers, a show can more than one writer and etc. Just like writing a book, most book-righters go through publishers. Yes, the author wrote the book but they had an editor to help guide and etc during the process.

The Sussex's or the Obama's or any other celebrity, can come up with concepts. It's more about having a team that can make those concepts come to life.

So I think the Sussex's could do a mix but they're producers as of right now, which means funding projects like you said. It could be that Netflix comes to them with a project or they're looking at scripts and selecting that project.

From the article - the Netflix person they spoke to sounded a bit vague as if put on the spot:

“And they actually have, like, a bunch of development, they have a movie in development, a (scripted) series that they’re working on. So all very early development, with a movie, a TV show and a couple of unscripted shows. But yeah, the movie’s great.”

The key words here: "All very early development"

Agree about programme making being a profession; and remember the chap at Spotify called them "grifters". IMHO they want to do as little "work" as possible, and Netflix will drop them when their contract is up, but as Mirabel says, time will tell.

I mean, Hollywood has been shut down for a while now. So they'd all be early development. I think Meet Me at the Lake was brought right before the strikes started. And it wasn't until December of last year they could begin to move forward with production.

So it's not vague, the Netflix CEO clearly outlined that projects are coming and they're apparently pretty happy with it.

As for grifters, it's hard to accept that from a man who tried to get Meghan to sign to his agency before she went with WME. And when that news came out, they said that Harry pitched at least four ideas, so he was working. It's on Spotify if they didn't like the ideas, though, I thought the PODCAST on father-hood would've been nice. So it's not about doing as little work as possible, it's about Spotify being upset they signed on a bunch of high profile people with huge deals because they wanted to jump on the podcast trend but didn't have a clear vision of what they wanted. They also didn't give any support beyond money and I'm assuming that they would know neither of the Sussex's did podcasting before and the like.

Unlike say Joe Rogan or Dax Shepard who had their own teams before they signed with Spotify.

So, maybe Spotify wouldn't be as twisted up if they had actually helped the people they signed and they hadn't rejected ideas, they would've gotten more. And it's easy to take a shot at the Sussex's because it was pretty clear the Sussex's were going to move on from Spotify like Obama. Kim K took just as long to create content and it didn't do the numbers the Meghan did. But now whining about her because she's staying with them. She signed in 2020 and didn't come out with a podcast until 2022.

All in all, it just shows that they were willing to use Meghan's name and fandom to build up promotion, get fans engaged and etc online. They're upset because the Sussex's want to move on and they want to ignore the fact that they rejected idea's from one of the people they signed. And on top of that, they signed one too many people (including the Sussex's) for big deals but didn't actually put forth the work themselves to make the podcast come to life.

Last edited:
I think this article could’ve been written without linking back to William or the brothers falling out.

Just a strange article overall. It doesn’t seem like the brothers even spoke to each other about how to tackle the issue of conservation. The only issues Harry highlighted in his book are that William didn’t want Harry doing anything in African because it was ‘his’ things.

But that doesn’t seem to be the root of the so called feud. Like for that to be the root, they would’ve had to argue about the methods. If the Times just wanted to talk about their different approaches….they could’ve just done that without trying to make it about fighting. So pointless and confusing on that point.

And then mentioning William won’t be stepping in for African Parks crisis management is a well…duh moment. And it’s not even about focusing on Kate. It’s because he has nothing to do with it. And William would have no right to step in as he’s not apart of African Parks.

And once again, the jab at The Sussex’s not publicly saying anything.

Honestly, the article is missing its point. A better article but still pointless in my view would just be to talk about in two separate articles, how each does that work. The headline and the body of the piece have barely anything to do with each other.

Just a little weird but i guess The Times needed something to write about. I think an article spotlighting Williams work in conservation would’ve been fine. Without dragging Harry in. .

I think this article could’ve been written without linking back to William or the brothers falling out.

Just a strange article overall. It doesn’t seem like the brothers even spoke to each other about how to tackle the issue of conservation. The only issues Harry highlighted in his book are that William didn’t want Harry doing anything in African because it was ‘his’ things.

But that doesn’t seem to be the root of the so called feud. Like for that to be the root, they would’ve had to argue about the methods. If the Times just wanted to talk about their different approaches….they could’ve just done that without trying to make it about fighting. So pointless and confusing on that point.

The article actually made me connect a few things I hadn’t previously, though I agree with you that connecting it back to the Princess of Wales and her current health issues and insinuating William could step in went too far and didn’t contribute to the point they were making.

I’d have to go back through notes to pinpoint which biography it was, but I think it might have been Courtiers that mentioned William was always extremely anxious about Harry’s approach to African conservation causing problems because of things he’d gotten involved with there. The specifics are never discussed, and when I read “Spare” I wondered if it might refer to Harry’s time with “Teej and Mike” and their gang of friends. The ethics of things involving some of these countries are very fraught, and someone in Harry’s position who is well-meaning but not deeply conscientious about the balance of interests and culture in these regions could do a ton of harm, especially given the Royal family’s lingering issues around colonialism and the legacy of the British empire.

Reading this, I remembered that William’s university degree is in Geography. Students with that major at University spend lots of time learning not just about the environments of other countries, but the social and political history. I can see where William’s background might have come up against Harry’s more action-oriented but less carefully considered stances when their interests overlapped. I don’t know if it caused their rift, but I could see it as a contributing factor.

It will be interesting to see if more information on this topic is discussed over time.

I find the article gratuitous and not a little malicious in its puerile attempt to keep the royal feud going and thus maintain an endless supply of the supposed blow-by-blow account of the ongoing animosity, thus providing a continual fall-back story when royal news is slow.

The inevitable "Good William" and "Bad Harry" also shows they are determined to prevent any possibility of any rapprochement as this would factor negatively into their bottom line. Their pathetic comment about the ongoing feud and Catherine's illness is just another attempt to ensure that people know that "this is all new and not just a recycled story".

Remember that photo on instagram for which Harry lost a suit with DM, I think? In one article (a long time ago, before the suit), I rember this differencies being mentioned, that Harry wanted things done in a haste and William was much more cautious.
For me, this article from the times doesn’t bring anything new, these are things I knew for a long time.

I personally found the article pointless because Africa Parks (Harry) and Tusks (William) operate very similarly. Not a fan if either to be honest.

It's an interesting article, in that it highlights the issues of trying to protect wildlife amid the political and cultural complexities of the regions involved. I don't see what it's got to do with William and Harry's "feud", though.

The article actually made me connect a few things I hadn’t previously, though I agree with you that connecting it back to the Princess of Wales and her current health issues and insinuating William could step in went too far and didn’t contribute to the point they were making.

I’d have to go back through notes to pinpoint which biography it was, but I think it might have been Courtiers that mentioned William was always extremely anxious about Harry’s approach to African conservation causing problems because of things he’d gotten involved with there. The specifics are never discussed, and when I read “Spare” I wondered if it might refer to Harry’s time with “Teej and Mike” and their gang of friends. The ethics of things involving some of these countries are very fraught, and someone in Harry’s position who is well-meaning but not deeply conscientious about the balance of interests and culture in these regions could do a ton of harm, especially given the Royal family’s lingering issues around colonialism and the legacy of the British empire.

Reading this, I remembered that William’s university degree is in Geography. Students with that major at University spend lots of time learning not just about the environments of other countries, but the social and political history. I can see where William’s background might have come up against Harry’s more action-oriented but less carefully considered stances when their interests overlapped. I don’t know if it caused their rift, but I could see it as a contributing factor.

It will be interesting to see if more information on this topic is discussed over time.

If the article was framed the way you spoke, mentioned the things you mentioned or even went a little in-depth with backup proof. I'd think the article would have merit, I still wouldn't agree but I think there would be something to talk about there. Something worth the salt.

But it overall falls flat because the headline talks about a feud. I believe the article references the whole Africa was Williams thing. And it just kind of drops out? Like the article goes more in depth about Harry's role at African Parks and what he's done on the continent. They talk a little about how William does things but they don't mention the two ever fighting over methods. Like a degree isn't the issue with me because a degree can't teach you everything. There was a video in which the two were talking about their work in Africa. William only referenced the continent while Harry was able to talk about individual countries and the work and connections. He didn't get a degree but he was around the people and the land. But even this, William's degree isn't mentioned in the article which I think could've went to help make their point about William being able to see thing's differently because he studied.

No, it talks about how they're feuding over the approach but doesn't actually speak about how it became a feud.

In all honesty, it seems like the two have never talked about their individual approaches, they just both did their own things. So it feels more like they wanted to talk about Harry and African Parks but brought William in just because. I'd agree with people talking about the issues with African Parks, the issues people have with how they work and Harry's role. Not that I would agree with everything but it does have a right to be talked about. So it feels like the times used this very serious issue with African Parks as just a springboard to talk about Harry vs William. And then takes another jab at them for not saying anything publicly while trying to position William as someone who could step in, if only they were still close. When William would never be able to do anything or take the lead or the reigns.

It's just very weird.

Those are very good points, thank you for posting :flowers:

It's an interesting article, in that it highlights the issues of trying to protect wildlife amid the political and cultural complexities of the regions involved. I don't see what it's got to do with William and Harry's "feud", though.

That's what I found most insightful about the article. The forthcoming book about the charity by the Dutch investigative journalist (that's mentioned in the article) sounds interesting too. The author has previously written a book about the presence of the Heineken brewery in Africa.

Personally I think if the only issue between William and PH was differences about wildlife management they would likely still be speaking now; siblings often disagree about things without becoming estranged.

Good points HRH Hermione though I agree with you and changemysoul that it was unnecessary to mention the King's and Princess of Wales' current health concerns.

Has Harry or Meghan released a statement about Charles' cancer diagnosis?

Its only been public for half an hour.

Apparently Harry is flying into see him and has spoken with his dad.

Cue another boatload of speculation in the papers

I'm at work- it could have been public for hours for all I know.

Sounds like BP informed Harry before going public. He already going to visit. No official statement but it’s clear the media has bombarded their office, which is expected.

A lot of major health news with the BRF. Even Eddie seems not well (imo). I wish everyone well. It’s not an easy time.

Its only been public for half an hour.

Apparently Harry is flying into see him and has spoken with his dad.

Cue another boatload of speculation in the papers

Hope it's true. Sometimes you need this kind of event to finally bring back a family together.

It would be nice ( in my opinion) to bring the two kids. For Charles sake and Archie and Lili's too.

If Harry is coming in this week, before whatever *possible* debilitating and tiring Cancer treatment starts for Charles. Probably soon.

Hope it's true.

The information is attributed to "a source close to Harry" by the Press Association.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...arles-cancer-royal-health-latest-news-updates

The Duke of Sussex has spoken with the King about his cancer diagnosis and will travel to the UK to see him soon, a source close to Harry told the Press Association.

“The duke did speak with his father about his diagnosis. He will be traveling to UK to see His Majesty in the coming days,” the source close to Harry said.

it’s clear the media has bombarded their office

How so?

Glad to read the news that Prince Harry is going to travel to London to see his father.

Back
Top Bottom