The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that Harry honestly cares about the environment. I just don't want to be lectured by people who live in huge homes and travel extensively. That criticism is not only aimed at Harry, I feel the same way about statements made by Charles and William.

Emma Thompson flew from Los Angeles to London to attend a protest about climate change! Could she not just have posted a message of support on social media?!

There are all sorts of niche markets for travel. Some people go on cookery trips to Italy, wine-tasting trips to France, battlefield tours or religious trips to shrines. So I suppose some people will fancy going on eco tours.

But I don't want the people I'm paying to provide my holiday entertainment to rate my conservation credentials. Is the notion of being "rated" supposed to induce people to buy their product? I find it bewildering. :wacko:

I don't think the rating was meant to be taken literally I think the message was that you should travel (or live) like you are been watched and graded accordingly. Or at least I think that how it is ? But this whole commercial was all over the place - I honestly don't know if Harry was pretending to be a woke millennial as a parody or not? so maybe the rating was part of the skit?
The problem is everyone consider their investment and commitment to sustainability differently and often it realizes on your religious and political views. To say in the ad that you must travel like you are been marked does imply that it is a standard is very incorrect. You only have to look at individual countries to know this and at people shopping habits.

Last edited:
I agree with Claire for the most part, I think you have the right idea. It's to make people think about how they're treating the environment when they visit, how they're treating local people and etc.

Some updates, it's getting pretty fair coverage~ I saw some French & Japanese articles about it. Which, I guess, means the video the is doing it's job for getting the travalyst name out there.

I also don' think Harry was trying to do a 'woke millennial' parody as nothing in it was woke or a dog whistle to millennials but the rating was apart of the skit. I don't think it's something that will seriously be used but just promo for the rating thing they have on the website.

I also took the rating test on the website and purposely used the least environmental or local friendly options and got three stars with encouragement to to try do more and they link to a little travel guide tip list.

I think the YT channel was just created but the video has 142K views already.

this was great news~

if you want to read more about it, the statement came out after an article from the the new york times about child care benefits and has more info!

marshall plans for moms, i believe were one of the charity's that released the sussex's xmas cards.

in the deal-book talk, meghan said that archewell gives 20 weeks of paid leave, which is about 4 months, i wonder about the other benefits.

And on a lighter note, James Corden revealed that he and his family have been guests at the Sussexes' home in Montecito.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...eveals-Prince-Harrys-children-play-dates.html

James Corden has praised Prince Harry as a devoted husband and father and revealed their children have play dates together.
The chat show host, 43, has become pals with Harry and his wife Meghan Markle and lives just an hour and a half away from the couple's sprawling mansion in Montecito, California.
Speaking to The Sun, James revealed he and wife Julia Carey have been for dinner with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their kids also spend time together.
Asked if he had been to the couple's £11million home, James said: 'I have. It was more a sort of play date scenario [with the kids]. Then we went out for dinner after, it was lovely.'
James and Julia are parents to children Max, 11, Carey, seven, and Charlotte, four, while Prince Harry and Meghan share Archie, three, and Lilibet, 11 months.

:previous: It is nice they have ordinary parents to mix with but why oh why do the media always go for the bottom line? What has playdates and dinner out got to do with how much they paid for their house? I am actually surprised there wasn't an itemised list of what the Sussexes wore and how much each item cost.

Aww that's good, i wonder how often they met up, maybe it could be a super playdate if serena comes along as well.

that being said, my family will be down to take a day trip to the next city over so it's not impossible but it's good to hear.

:previous: and you are also correct & if they could, they would though, on the last article from the DM, their home was 14 Mil.

anywhoo, i wonder how many playdates lil archie has and when Lili will start doing her own, since harry said she's always trying to keep up with archie.

anywhoo, i wonder how many playdates lil archie has and when Lili will start doing her own, since harry said she's always trying to keep up with archie.

Apart from Serena, quite a few of their friends have young kids, like Troian Bellisario. Neighbour Orlando Bloom.

And Harry's old friend Guy Pelly lives in Tennessee, and has 3 toddlers I think.

So company is assured.:cool:

Apart from Serena, quite a few of their friends have young kids, like Troian Bellisario. Neighbour Orlando Bloom.

And Harry's old friend Guy Pelly lives in Tennessee, and has 3 toddlers I think.

So company is assured.:cool:

I'll admit, I completely forgot that Troian & Pat had kids.

That makes me happier to know.

And I didn't know he was in Tennessee but I'm all for play dates and having fun. Living through the Sussex's because I personally don't want kids.

I think there is a new season in June for Polo and we'll be seeing polo Harry again, sadly, Los Padres lost by two, it was a close game though and the videos of Harry playing are great, he looks good on a horse.

I wouldn't make it to the online session but I heard from some that it was a really good talk and the young ones are our future, there seemed to a lot of bright minds in in the chat.

If anyone wants to watch the video, feel free to PM 5Rights posted a link to the full session on twitter.

Harry does indeed look great in the saddle, and good to see him enjoying his polo again.

Just a bit more information about the 5Rights organisation, a very worthy cause iMO.

https://5rightsfoundation.com/about-us/

5Rights Foundation, the brainchild of Baroness Beeban Kidron, started as a set of principles that would reimagine the digital world as a place children and young people were afforded their existing right to participate in the digital world creatively, knowledgeably and fearlessly.
Endorsed and informed by academics, parents, policy makers, teachers and healthcare professionals, these principles were also shaped by what children and young people told us they needed from the digital world to thrive.
In 2018, 5Rights developed from an idea into an organisation. Now an internationally active non-governmental, non-profit charitable organisation, 5Rights Foundation is headquartered in London with an office in Brussels, which opened in early 2021.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...er-involved-Prince-Harrys-Invictus-Games.html

Injured veterans charity Help for Heroes will no longer lead Team UK at the Invictus Games after training and selecting the team since Prince Harry launched the event in 2014.The Ministry of Defence has stripped the charity of its responsibilities and said, going forward, the Royal British Legion will take over leading Team UK at the injured veterans event.
The Government said the decision had been made because the Royal British Legion, of which the Queen is patron, could provide 'more personnel', 'secure funding' and 'a commitment to support the team in the future'.
The event was launched by Prince Harry in 2014 after he was inspired by a similar sporting event in the US the year prior. He has not commented on the news publicly.
In a statement issued today, Help for Heroes said it wanted to emphasise that the decision was out of their hands.
Lis Skeet, Services Director at Help for Heroes added: 'Help for Heroes is incredibly proud to have trained, supported and delivered Team UK for the past five Invictus Games.

I wonder if Meghan and Harry will christen Lili while they are in Britain(if they haven't done so already)?

It would be marvelous to hold the ceremony at Windsor with HM and/or Prince Charles in attendance.;)

I wonder if Meghan and Harry will christen Lili while they are in Britain(if they haven't done so already)?

It would be marvelous to hold the ceremony at Windsor with HM and/or Prince Charles in attendance.;)

I am hoping that they might consider it, but only if Doria is there too. I can't see them holding the ceremony without her being present.

Harry does indeed look great in the saddle, and good to see him enjoying his polo again.

Just a bit more information about the 5Rights organisation, a very worthy cause iMO.

https://5rightsfoundation.com/about-us/

5Rights Foundation, the brainchild of Baroness Beeban Kidron, started as a set of principles that would reimagine the digital world as a place children and young people were afforded their existing right to participate in the digital world creatively, knowledgeably and fearlessly.
Endorsed and informed by academics, parents, policy makers, teachers and healthcare professionals, these principles were also shaped by what children and young people told us they needed from the digital world to thrive.
In 2018, 5Rights developed from an idea into an organisation. Now an internationally active non-governmental, non-profit charitable organisation, 5Rights Foundation is headquartered in London with an office in Brussels, which opened in early 2021.  

true! I wasn't sure if we could post links.

i did watch the video and it was a lovely chat, those kids were so well spoken and it was good to see them being able to be really listened too and heard by adults.

here's the video and a link to the toolkit if anyone is interested

https://childonlinesafetytoolkit.org/
https://vimeo.com/710752313

--------

as for help for hero's, it's sad to see them go and it's sad that it was out of their hands. they were amazing for team uk this past invictus and you could feel the love. i feel uneasy but that being said, team uk will be taken care of for the next 5 years and i'm sure this bigger, more focused support will be great for them. and if anyone is in the uk and is or knows a vet, let them know that auditions are open for germany.

help for hero's statement

https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/news/invictus-update/

------

as for lili...i also kinda hope that she's christened while in the uk. some people i've talked too have said that they think it's already been done and they just didn't release photos but i, personally, could see them holding off until they came back to the uk for the queen.

The Duke of Sussex played polo with his team Los Padres at Santa Barbara Polo and Racquet Club in Carpinteria, California, yesterday, May 20:

** rex gallery **

:previous: I really, really, REALLY hope that it doesn't happen.

What about all the allegations of invasion of privacy and press intrusion made by the Sussexes when they left Britain?

This smacks of desperation. Talk about handing more ammo to their detractors!:ermm:

Member TLLK kindly shared the news about a possible Netflix reality series:

** latimes article: So, a Harry and Meghan reality series on Netflix could be happening after all? **

What about all the allegations of invasion of privacy and press intrusion made by the Sussexes when they left Britain?

This smacks of desperation. Talk about handing more ammo to their detractors!:ermm:

Lets see if this is indeed true. Given that all that has been said (including Harry's comments on the ITV Africa documentary about cameras reminding him of his mother's trysts with the media that eventually led to her death), it will be interesting how they actually spin it.

** latimes article: So, a Harry and Meghan reality series on Netflix could be happening after all? **

I find it funny that for a time if William and Kate went anywhere all anyone wanted was Harry and Meghan. Now this reality TV show will be hoping massively they get the Cambridges. Which it won’t. Power of the royal brand. You need to make money to live. That’s life. Leave them to it.

Lets see if this is indeed true. Given that all that has been said (including Harry's comments on the ITV Africa documentary about cameras reminding him of his mother's trysts with the media that eventually led to her death), it will be interesting how they actually spin it.

I think a lot of that seems now focussed on the UK. But yet they are going to come over to one of the most exposed public events, the likes of which we may not see again until perhaps William is 25 years on the throne? Where there will be so many flashbulbs in their faces it defies most events. Plus they have had to create their own publicity recently which means getting media. You have to make money.

It seems that Netflix is focusing on documentary/reality series rather than animation, due to loss in subscribers and employees layoff. As other posters mentioned earlier, animation requires more resources compared to documentaries. It would not surprised me that this new "reality documentary" series is replacing “Pearl" one the basis of reduced cost. At this point, Netflix is trying to capitalise on which over projects that generates viewership and publicity. As of now, it's probably professional tennis with the recent dramas and controversies in 2022.

I'm personally not keen on this "fly on the wall" documentary, because it goes against the grain on what the Sussexes' exertion on privacy and media intrusion, particularly on Harry's fear of "cameras clicking and photographers". At least with the Invictus Games documentary, it will cover the athletes, war veterans and organisation of the tournaments, instead of just the Sussexes

Moonmaiden-After reading the article I believe that there might be some truth that at least the Sussexes and Netflix are at the very least discussing this as a possibility. It was this sentence that convinced me.

Representatives for Netflix and the Sussexes declined to comment on the project when reached Thursday by The Times.
Either party could have chosen to issue a firm denial, but they didn't do so. Therefore I do believe at the least that some preliminary talks are happening. Now whether or not the project actually gets beyond some discussion, that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
I asked about this a while ago - and I was told by a producer at Netflix, that I have know for a while, that it is not a reality show - it is a year in the life of. More on the line of a Year at Windsor and such. And he even noted that the royal family themselves have done numerous of these documentaries. That been said Netflix wanted the Jubilee and any other significant family events to be covered as well in the show - and in seasons that follow, if there are other seasons. So I read that as if there was a coronation ect. they wanted in.
If Harry and Meghan have signed to this show - unless they have changed that conditions they want Jubilee footage and such. They can get the public stuff but how much of in the background items was sold to Netflix.
It is worth noting that Netflix has approached the RF many times to get to do such documentaries - I am told they have asked everyone in the family to do such. They want to do a documentary on a Year with the Windsors, a Year with William and Catherine. They offered to do a show on the Prince's Trust, on Earth Shot, on the DOE Awards ect. And due to the Crown and the Diana musical they have been refused. So this is a way in. And anyone who approaches the royals for TV now - has to state with complete clarity where it will be shown and where it will be sold before the show will be made. The Windsors have essentially cut Netflix off.

The Times' Royah Nikah has an article with updates on the Duke's memoir which was reportedly to be released in 2022.

https://archive.ph/fFy28

It is hotly anticipated, with many in royal circles braced for the day it hits the bookshelves. But exactly when the Duke of Sussex will publish his “intimate and heartfelt memoir” is a mystery.
Billed as “an inspiring, courageous and uplifting human story” with Prince Harry writing “not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become”, Penguin Random House announced the book with fanfare last year, with “publication tentatively scheduled for late 2022”.
But last week a spokeswoman for the publisher said it did not yet have a publication date, and would not confirm whether the book would still appear this year as planned. An approach to Harry’s spokeswoman elicited a similar response and another source said there was “some uncertainty” over the book’s publication date.

The BBC did a "year in the life of ..." programme to mark Princess Anne's 70th birthday. It was a one-off programme, and only about an hour in total, but it included video of her charity work, and her talking about her grandchildren. It was all very tastefully done: nothing controversial was asked or said. But I'm guessing that that's *not* the sort of thing that Netflix are after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom