The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant with a second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't.

I think people in their position should set a good example, and limit reproduction to two children.

What they can afford is moot. Even the wealthiest cannot buy more resources. Many problems in the world today are directly attributable to overpopulation.

mirabel, can you expand on your thoughts? i find this interesting: why do you believe people should limit to 2 children? i am not against it, or for it, i don't really have an opinion on the matter and i heard very few people strongly addressing little / lots of children, so i am curious as to what the reasons behind this are.

mirabel, can you expand on your thoughts? i find this interesting: why do you believe people should limit to 2 children? i am not against it, or for it, i don't really have an opinion on the matter and i heard very few people strongly addressing little / lots of children, so i am curious as to what the reasons behind this are.

Just to give an answer to this (because it is an issue that people discuss, and I'm sure Mirabel can elaborate), but basically, two children per couple is the generally the "replacement rate" for fertility - it would sustain current population levels, rather than increasing them and leading to overpopulation issues.

In my view, it's a personal issue for William and Kate; they're the ones who can best decide what is right for them. I doubt the number of children they have is going to have that much of an impact on other people's choices.

Right now, my thoughts are mostly on this baby. I'd love for them to have a girl, as there have been so many boys born into that branch of the family (i.e., the 3 of the Queen's 4 children are boys; Diana and Charles had 2 boys, and William and Kate of course have George). However, a new member of the family is a happy thing either way, and I hope that the baby is healthy and that Kate is back to feeling better soon.

I don't.

I think people in their position should set a good example, and limit reproduction to two children.

What they can afford is moot. Even the wealthiest cannot buy more resources. Many problems in the world today are directly attributable to overpopulation.
Most resources are bought by the wealthiest people in Europe, Australia, the USA, etc. And they have fewer children in average. But people in the poor areas of the world have lots of children cause its a way of living, survival, labour force in families. So, it doesn't' matter how many babies will be in Cambridge's or other wealthy families.

Most resources are bought by the wealthiest people in Europe, Australia, the USA, etc. And they have fewer children in average. But people in the poor areas of the world have lots of children cause its a way of living, survival, labour force in families. So, it doesn't' matter how many babies will be in Cambridge's or other wealthy families.

But people in the wealthier countries use far more natural resources than in poorer ones, so you might say their children have a much greater impact on the environment. Therefore the argument that the number of children they have doesn't matter isn't the case.

I don't want to get into a huge discussion on this, and I realize that opinions vary; I just meant that if educated, high-profile couples don't set a good example, why should we expect anyone else to do so?

Just to give an answer to this (because it is an issue that people discuss, and I'm sure Mirabel can elaborate), but basically, two children per couple is the generally the "replacement rate" for fertility - it would sustain current population levels, rather than increasing them and leading to overpopulation issues.

In my view, it's a personal issue for William and Kate; they're the ones who can best decide what is right for them. I doubt the number of children they have is going to have that much of an impact on other people's choices.

Right now, my thoughts are mostly on this baby. I'd love for them to have a girl, as there have been so many boys born into that branch of the family (i.e., the 3 of the Queen's 4 children are boys; Diana and Charles had 2 boys, and William and Kate of course have George). However, a new member of the family is a happy thing either way, and I hope that the baby is healthy and that Kate is back to feeling better soon.

However, 3 out of 4 great grandchildren are girls! Agree 100% with your last statement.

I agree.I don't know what they were thinking. This trip has been months in the planning and even if she didn't think she would get HG again it was always a possibility. If I had been in her shoes knowing that I was due to visit another country who had put in a great deal of effort to host me there is no way I would have let this happen knowing that I could be too ill to go. These two though often seem to put their own desires before duty so it's nothing new. I just hope she still makes it and doesn't throw up the whole time she is there.

Wow! Now I've seen it all. She's a horrible person for having a baby :lol: I'm stunned.

The male parent determines gender...so it really doesn't matter about Kate's family when it comes to boy/girl ratio.

LaRae

what about Kate's family? Carole & Mike have 2 daughters and one son.

It doesn't overly matter about Kate's family when it comes to gender as it is the male gamete that determines the gender. William is one of two boys and his father is one of 3 boys. Statiscally you could say he is likely to have another boy but then Andrew had two girls and Edward had one of each.

And Philip was one of 5 with 4 sisters and yet he fathered 3 boys out of his 4 children. His father had more brothers than sisters but his paternal grandfather was one of 6 - 3 boys and 3 girls.

Tanit Lee Lascelles, born in 1981, has an ambiguous name, but is a girl.

Thank you - I will edit my post accordingly by adding 1 more girl to the Lascelles and to the total.

But people in the wealthier countries use far more natural resources than in poorer ones, so you might say their children have a much greater impact on the environment. Therefore the argument that the number of children they have doesn't matter isn't the case.

I don't want to get into a huge discussion on this, and I realize that opinions vary; I just meant that if educated, high-profile couples don't set a good example, why should we expect anyone else to do so?

But it is already the case that educated people of higher socio-economic levels are the ones having fewer children (I don't know the stats on high-profile couples). And I'm not sure that people are necessarily looking to educated, high-profile couples for setting such examples, as there are obviously a number of components that contribute to the size of families. Though I do understand your general concerns, I think that, for William and Kate, so much of their lives already get decided for them, and the size of their family is one area that they should have some freedom in (and not worry about serving as some kind of PSA).

However, 3 out of 4 great grandchildren are girls! Agree 100% with your last statement.

Yes, that's true. I was just mostly thinking of the children of family members who are direct heirs to the throne because, obviously, they become the focus of attention and lead public lives. Also, I know Charles would very much like a girl in the family. :lol: But, of course, these are things I don't take too seriously - it's just interesting to discuss the possibilities. It's all exciting either way.

One can also say that the duties of wealthier countries is to lower their impact on the environment by lowering their standard of living and excluding of their lives everything useless or vain, not to have less children. I am working about environment concerns and everything is leading to the same conclusion : the earth would go better if we would learn to live much more frugally. That is the point on which we could set a good example. Having less children and keeping the same way of life will only lead to a disaster.

If you go back further
Elizabeth II Three Sons One Daughter
George VI Two Daughters
George V Five Sons One Daughter
Edward VII Three Sons (one Died shortly after Birth) Three Daughters
Victoria Five Daughters Four Sons
George III Nine Sons Six Daughters

In almost every Generation Going back To George I (Including Fredrick The Prince Of Wales) The Monarch (Or Heir) had at least One Son and One Daughter. Of the 65 Legitimate Children (not counting George IV as he is Victoria Uncle) born to Monarchs or Heirs in the last 300 Years 41 have been Sons and 25 have been Daughters.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

William IV was Victoria uncle.

:previous: As I read that woman's comment, all she was doing was suggesting the pregnancy wasn't genuine and that the announcement was designed to get sympathy for the English case in the Scotting referendum. I didn't read it as her hoping that Kate would really have a miscarriage.

The baby needs to be a boy to even out the greatgrandchildren. If Kate has twin boys then everything will be even.

Princess Anne 1 boy & 1 girl
Prince Charles 2 boys
Prince Andrew 2 girls
Prince Edward 1 girl & 1 boy

Hopefully William is not a trouble maker...

A question for those with knowledge of genetics:

Should we be considering the proportion of males to females in Spencer line breeding? This discussion has been about the Windsor line, but in each case the father of the children in question had a mother who contributed genetic material to that father. Is any of the genetic material inherited from the mother relevant to the subsequent production of progeny by her male child or is all the gender-determining genetic material only inherited from the male parent?

A question for those with knowledge of genetics:

Should we be considering the proportion of males to females in Spencer line breeding? This discussion has been about the Windsor line, but in each case the father of the children in question had a mother who contributed genetic material to that father. Is any of the genetic material inherited from the mother relevant to the subsequent production of progeny by her male child or is all the gender-determining genetic material only inherited from the male parent?

If I understand it right, William has a 50/50 shot of providing the Y chromosome.

After that, the variation is determined by the conditions of the woman's womb. One set of swimmers (I can't remember which) is said to be faster than the other, so the depth of penetration can affect the gender (deeper penetration increases the chance of the slower swimmers hitting the end goal). When ovulation occurs can affect things - one set of swimmers will last longer in the womb, so having sex the day before as opposed to the day of ovulation can affect the gender. The overall acidity of the womb can affect it, as one set prefers a less acidic environment.

I think in considering family history it would be most relevant to consider the paternal line of the father - that is the male ancestors of the DoE - to see their son-to-daughter ratio, and the female ancestors of the mother to see their son-to-daughter ratio.

If I remember correctly, looking at the line from Christian IX to the grandchildren of the DoE there was a fairly close ratio, but I haven't looked at it since before George was born so I could be remembering wrong. I don't know enough about Kate's extended family to comment on that ratio.

If you look just at the paternal line of Prince Philip-

Father Prince Andrew of Greece. Four daughters, one son.

Grandfather King George 1 of Greece. Five sons three daughters.

Great-grandfather King Christian of Denmark. Three sons, three daughters.

Great-grt-grandfather Duke Friedrich Wilhelm of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. Seven sons. Three daughters.

Grt-grt-grt grandfather Duke Friedrich Karl of S.-H-S-G. Two daughters, one son.

So, Prince Philip's ancestors in the paternal line produced 17 sons and 15 daughters for five generations.
Prince Philip sired three sons and one daughter.
He has four grandsons and four granddaughters.
So far he has three great-granddaughters and one great-grandson.

If you look just at the paternal line of Prince Philip-

Father Prince Andrew of Greece. Four daughters, one son.

Grandfather King George 1 of Greece. Five sons three daughters.

Great-grandfather King Christian of Denmark. Three sons, three daughters.

Great-grt-grandfather Duke Friedrich Wilhelm of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. Seven sons. Three daughters.

Grt-grt-grt grandfather Duke Friedrich Karl of S.-H-S-G. Two daughters, one son.

So, Prince Philip's ancestors in the paternal line produced 17 sons and 15 daughters for five generations.
Prince Philip sired three sons and one daughter.
He has four grandsons and four granddaughters.
So far he has three great-granddaughters and one great-grandson.

It's not accurate to count all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren - Anne's descendants aren't male-line.

The DoE has 3 male line grandsons, 3 male-line granddaughters, and 1 male-line great-grandson.

So the ratio is 25 to 19 in favour of the men.

If another boy is born, they will try for a girl...IMHO

:previous: I agree. I'd even go as far as saying that I think they would pull a Joachim and Marie and try until they have a girl. A daughter/granddaughter/niece seems to be much wanted within the family.

And what if a girl won't come? Imagine them with 10 sons:D:ROFLMAO:

Exactly. My Parents had Four Sons. I being the youngest, My Paternal Grandmother also had Four in a row after Her First Child that was a Daughter.

William and Catherine could have Four Daughters following George or another Nine Sons!

Exactly. My Parents had Four Sons. I being the youngest, My Paternal Grandmother also had Four in a row after Her First Child that was a Daughter.

William and Catherine could have Four Daughters following George or another Nine Sons!

Everyone has their preference: boy or girl, it's natural but I am sure that if Kate and William will have all sons they will be happy because the only thing thaat matters is that they children are healthy!:flowers:

If another boy is born, they will try for a girl...IMHO

I believe the Duchess has indicated she wants to have multiple children. I can easily see her having three children, or maybe even four as the Queen.

In our neighbourhood lived a Family with 18 sons .... just one daughter *lol*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom