A 2nd Boy for Guillaume and Stéphanie - François: March 27, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JR76

Heir Apparent
City
Malmö
Country
Sweden
It's a boy!
"Their Royal Highnesses the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess are delighted to announce the birth of their son at the Maternité Grande-Duchesse Charlotte in Luxembourg on Monday, 27th March 2023 at 10:04 am.

The newborn Prince will be named François Henri Luis Marie Guillaume. He weights 3.575 kg and measures 53 cm.

Princess Stéphanie and her child are both healthy and well."

https://monarchie.lu/en/birth-hrh-prince-francois

An online book of congratulations has been opened for those who wants to send a message to the family while those who wants to can either send it by mail or sign the book available at the guardhouse of the Grand Ducal Palace.
https://monarchie.lu/en/send-message-crown-couple-birth-their-second-child

The parents have asked that those who wishes to send a gift to Francois instead support the Fondation Lëtzebuerger Kannerduerf (SOS Children's Village Luxembourg) with a donation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The baby's name is surprising. Many congratulations to Prince Guillaume and Princess Stephanie.

The baby's name is surprising. Many congratulations to Prince Guillaume and Princess Stephanie.

François is the French form for Francis. An homage to the current Pope Francis maybe?

Congratulations to the family :flowers:

It's a boy!
"Their Royal Highnesses the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess are delighted to announce the birth of their son at the Maternité Grande-Duchesse Charlotte in Luxembourg on Monday, 27th March 2023 at 10:04 am.

The newborn Prince will be named François Henri Luis Marie Guillaume. He weights 3.575 kg and measures 53 cm.

Princess Stéphanie and her child are both healthy and well."

https://monarchie.lu/en/birth-hrh-prince-francois

An online book of congratulations has been opened for those who wants to send a message to the family while those who wants to can either send it by mail or sign the book available at the guardhouse of the Grand Ducal Palace.
https://monarchie.lu/en/send-message-crown-couple-birth-their-second-child

The parents have asked that those who wishes to send a gift to Francois instead support the Fondation Lëtzebuerger Kannerduerf (SOS Children's Village Luxembourg) with a donation.
Congratulations to the family and welcome little François!!
I was sure it would have been a girl but apparently Guillaume and Stephanie are destined to have adorable baby boys!
So happy for them and the whole family!

Great news! A very happy addition to this little family. And Charles now has a kid brother!

Wonderful news and congratulations to the happy Parents :flowers:

Congratulations to the family...love the names.

Gratulations to the parents and big brother Charles

Aww...I had hoped for a little princess but thus is excellent news! Another classic Royal name for the little one. I can't wait to see if he is as pretty as his big brother Charles.

I knew from the last photos of Stephanie that she would have the baby before April.;)

I wonder if they will have a third child or will call it a day now that Stephanie is 39?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations tovthe little family.

Congratulations to the family.

François is the French form for Francis. An homage to the current Pope Francis maybe?

Congratulations to the family :flowers:

Before Guillaume de Nassau and Stéphanie de Lannoy, there was an earlier link between the two Houses.

Françoise comtesse de Lannoy (1513-1562) was -via her daughter Anne- the mother-in-law of Guillaume I de Nassau, Prince d'Orange ("the Silent"). Françoise is the female variant of François.

Last edited:
Aww, congratulation to the Guillaume and Stephanie! François is a lovely name. Can't wait to see the pic of little François.

Hooray great news

Aww...I had hoped for a little princess but thus is excellent news! Another classic Royal name for the little one. I can't wait to see if he is as pretty as his big brother Charles.

Totally agree.
And I think Mum and Dad may have also, occasionally, thought of a "king's wish," a son and a daughter.
But I think they will be just as thrilled with this second son as they are with their other 'wonder boy' Charles.

Last edited:
Happy news for the couple. I can't wait to see photos :flowers:

I admittedly was among those who had hoped for a little girl. But happy news.

There is some small precedence for Francois. Not in the Grand Duchy, but in the earlier Duchy of Luxembourg which encompassed both the Grand Duchy and the Belgian province of the name. Francois-Henri Montmorency was a succesful general of Louis XIV and through his marriage to the heiress to the Duchy of Luxembourg, was Duke of Luxembourg. He was the start of the house of Montmorency which died out in the late 1800s for male heirs.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Francois-Henri-de-Montmorency-Bouteville-duc-de-Luxembourg

Francois-Henri, now Francois Henri though in this case Henri for his grandfather.

Congratulations to Guillaume, Stephanie, and big brother Charles.

Won't it be hard to get baby clothes with a cedilla? ? Congratulations to the new family of four.

François Henri Luis Marie Guillaume

"François" surprises me with no recent royal reference, yet it is nice to have a unique name after all the family members named "Jean" and Guillaume."

Lovely that "Henri" was included since the Grand Duke's name was left out the first time.

I assume that "Luis" is in memory of Maria Teresa's brother, Luis Mestre, who died at age 64 on 1 June 2022. Interesting that they kept the Spanish form.

(For Henri and MT's children, Spanish names were changed to French equivalents. Guillaume and Charles have the middle name "Joseph," after MT's father, "Jose." Also, Prince Louis's middle name is "Xavier," in honor of his godfather, "Javier" Sanz.)

"Marie Guillaume" was to be expected since it was included for each of Guillaume's brothers (i.e., Fellx Leopold Marie Guillaume, Louis Xavier Marie Guillaume and Sebastien Henri Marie Guillaume) and for his first son, Charles Jean Philippe Joseph Marie Guillaume.

Last edited:
Congratulations to parents, grandparents and big brother!

Welcome to the world, Prince Francois!

Congratulations to the royal couple on the birth of their healthy baby Francois. or Fransisco in Spanish. :flowers:

Congratulations to Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie!
Prince Francois will be as interesting to watch as a toddler growing up as Prince Charles has been.

To announce the baby's birth, the Luxembourgish army fired 21 cannon shots from Fetschenhaff on Monday morning.
https://www.rtl.lu/lifestyle/news/a/2045627.html

Prime Minister Xavier Bettel has already sent his congratulations to the heir to the throne via Twitter: "On behalf of the government, I warmly congratulate LL.AA.RR. the Hereditary Grand Duke and the Hereditary Grand Duchess for the birth of H.R.H. Prince François. Warm welcome."

Last edited:
Congrats to the HGD's family. What a lovely news.

Congratulations!

PS: I wanted to confess here, but I wish the baby was a girl

Back
Top Bottom