The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but there was something ridiculous about citizens of foreign countries bowing to a box. The US fought a war to rid themselves of the British monarchy; other countries, while they may not have made quite such a spectacular statement, also chose not to have the British Monarch as their head of state. IMO it's rude to require citizens of countries who have no allegiance to the British crown to bow or curtsey to its representatives.

IMO the Duke of Kent was correct and, after all, it was to him and his family that people were being asked to bow/curtsey. If he didn't mind then why should anyone else? As we have discussed in the protocol thread, the Royal Family's website says that bowing and curtseying are optional when meeting any member of the Royal Family (the Queen included).

The Duke of Kent, his wife and his mother have been longstanding and loyal patrons of Wimbledon. I don't think he should give up his position until he wants to - and hopefully not for many more years to come.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

It is definitely not her fault, I agree. But surely there is a way she could watch without out shining the players. What was on the cover of the newspapers on Thursday? Murray making it to the semi final? Nope Catherine's facial expressions.

Also, we have a men's doubles finalist who plays on Centre Court today.

The last time a British man won Wimbledon was Fred Perry in 1936. The last time we had a British finalist was 1938 with Bunny Austin. Fred Perry and Bunny Austin were English, a point I think should be highlighted as I saw more Scottish flags than Union ones on the news this morning.

Slightly off topic, but Marray (not Murray) just won men's double - first time a Brit hasdone so since 1936. Congratulations! :flowers:

Marray's done it - now for Murray! Yorkshireman storms doubles to become first Briton to win Wimbledon men's doubles title since 1936
Andy Murray was not the only one to make history on Saturday, as compatriot Jonny Marray became the first Briton to win a men's doubles title at Wimbledon since 1936. Marray and playing partner Freddie Nielsen needed a wild card to get into the tournament but followed up their victory over defending champions Bob and Mike Bryan in the semi-finals by beating fifth seeds Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau 4-6 6-4 7-6 (7/5) 6-7 (7/5) 6-3 in the final.

royalistbert said:
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

But when the webpage of the British Monarchy says that there is no requirement for anyone to now/curtesy, it's hardly a case of when in Rome.

I didn't intend for my musings to trigger so much comment, I didn't realize that the Duke of Kent's position at the tournament was a part of his Royal duties, ie: he is representing the Queen and in that capacity he presents the trophy. I sometimes forget how formal these things are, although I do occasionally read the precedent thread w/ interest.
I seriously doubt that Catherine has any interest in displacing or stealing attention from anyone in her husband's family, she seems, judging by the long courtship, to be a patient woman not prone to impulsive or rash actions.

:previous:That's the whole basis of these forums and what keeps it going, to trigger comments and lively discussions, so there's nothing wrong with your musings! I would have never found out that the Duke of Kent eliminated the practice of bowing/curtseying at Wimbledon if he wasn't brought into the discussion, so you learn something new every day when a topic comes up.:flowers:

Last edited:
I have to agree Baroness. I learn so much on these forums its mindboggling. I think everyone is entitled to say what they have to say, in a curteous way of course, and if it brings lively conversation, so be it. As long as we are not rude then carry on. And good show for Murray. :)

BTW anyone else noticed that Kate has gained some weight atleast in her face. It looks healthier and better in my opinion.

Mark Stewart@RegalEyes
So it seems not only great tennis at Wimbledon today, but with Kate, Pippa & Victoria Beckham in the Royal Box a fashion fest for you ladies

Mark Stewart@RegalEyes
Kate & Pippa will be joined by Royals the Michaels, Lady F Windsor, Lady H Taylor, & sporting greats Rod Laver, D Beckham & S Redgrave today

The Duchess of Cambridge and Pippa Middleton cheer on Murray - Telegraph

Come on Andy: Millions cheer for Murray as he bids to become first British Wimbledon champion in 76 years | Mail Online

http://p.twimg.com/AxR_FZTCEAAOKaQ.jpg

Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge And Pippa

Last edited by a moderator:
Sitting pretty: Beautiful Kate is big hit in glittering centre court crowd all willing Murray on to Wimbledon victory
Andy Murray may be the star attraction on court today, but Kate is once again stealing the show. Looking stunning the Duchess of Cambridge waved to fans as she arrived at Wimbledon with her sister Pippa minutes ahead of the final. The princess is wearing outfits she has worn on previous occasions - a cream-coloured tweed jacket and a Nessie tweed jacket - both designed by Joseph. It is the third appearance for the dress and the jacket was worn at Epsom in 2011.
I don't want to open a can of worms, but Pippa's presence does somewhat bother me. Not in the royal box- if Kate wanted to have her sister sitting next to her, it's perfectly normal and understandable. But why did Pippa stand next to Kate she the latter was meeting dignitaries and officials? It was almost as if she were Kate's lady-in-waiting.

Last edited:
Sitting pretty: Beautiful Kate is big hit in glittering centre court crowd all willing Murray on to Wimbledon victory
I don't want to open a can of worms, but Pippa's presence does somewhat bother me. Not in the royal box- if Kate wanted to have her sister sitting next to her, it's perfectly normal and understandable. But why did Pippa stand next to Kate she the latter was meeting dignitaries and officials? It was almost as if she were Kate's lady-in-waiting.

Where would you have preferred Pippa to wait?

Artemesia - Pippa arrived with Catherine in the same car. She is in effect Catherine's guest as the DoC was entitled to bring a guest with her of her choice. But does it matter if Pippa looks like her lady in waiting? It woyuldn't worry me.

It would look terrible if Pippa turned her back or walked away.

Like it or not, Pippa is Kate's sister and the two seem very close; we will probably see them together very frequently once Kate spends more time in London.

Look, I'm not attacking Kate or Pippa for that matter. And I have no problem with Pippa or any member of the Middleton family being present during private moments. For instance, their presence at Jubilee Pageant or Ascot was perfectly reasonable since they were invited - as was (I assume) Pippa today.

However, I did feel somewhat uncomfortable Pippa was present at the official introduction part and meeting with dignitaries. It may be just me, of course.
No offence intended - just sharing my opinion.

:previous:For which you're more than entitled to express.:flowers: But I thought the manner of Pippa's arrival and greeting at the All England Tennis Club was appropriate given she is Kate's guest.

Last edited:
Sorry but there was something ridiculous about citizens of foreign countries bowing to a box. The US fought a war to rid themselves of the British monarchy; other countries, while they may not have made quite such a spectacular statement, also chose not to have the British Monarch as their head of state. IMO it's rude to require citizens of countries who have no allegiance to the British crown to bow or curtsey to its representatives.

IMO the Duke of Kent was correct and, after all, it was to him and his family that people were being asked to bow/curtsey. If he didn't mind then why should anyone else? As we have discussed in the protocol thread, the Royal Family's website says that bowing and curtseying are optional when meeting any member of the Royal Family (the Queen included).

The Duke of Kent, his wife and his mother have been longstanding and loyal patrons of Wimbledon. I don't think he should give up his position until he wants to - and hopefully not for many more years to come.

The fact of the matter is, the bowing was always optional. No-one had to do it, but they chose to do it because it was part of Wimbledon's tradition. Frankly, I couldn't care less what the US fought their war for - when you're in a foreign country you follow the customs and traditions of that country. Americans may disagree with the way we come about our head of state but, frankly, it's none of their business. When the Queen visits the Pope at the Vatican, she wears black with a full veil because that's the tradition. The Pope's nothing to her; he's not part of her religion, she doesn't recognise him as infallible or God's representative on earth. He's a head of state and head of a world religion - as is she. Yet she follows the Vatican's traditions because it's good manners to do so. Similarly, if I was in the US and the President entered the room I would be expected to stand up and address him as 'Mr. President'. He's not my president, to me he's just another politician. But I would respect the fact that he is the head of state in the nation I'm visiting.

If the bowing was so silly, why did the Duke of Kent decide that bowing should still continue when the Queen or Prince of Wales was in the audience? It was a purely pointless gesture, change for the sake of change, not because there was a problem that had to be dealt with. His Presidency of the All England Club has been a non-entity otherwise.

Artemisia said:

Look, I'm not attacking Kate or Pippa for that matter. And I have no problem with Pippa or any member of the Middleton family being present during private moments. For instance, their presence at Jubilee Pageant or Ascot was perfectly reasonable since they were invited - as was (I assume) Pippa today.

However, I did feel somewhat uncomfortable Pippa was present at the official introduction part and meeting with dignitaries. It may be just me, of course.

Everyone who's sitting in the Royal Box gets welcomed officially, not just the royals. Pippa arrived in the same car as Kate and was welcomed as her guest. It's not like when Charles and Camilla were in Denmark and Princess Mary's parents (who aren't even Danish, let alone part of the royal family) turned up at one of their official engagements and took part in planting a tree with Charles to commemorate the visit.

I think the key word here is official. The only royal there in an official capacity at Wimbledon today was the Duke of Kent. Kate (and her guests) were there privately so I imagine the introductions and having Pippa next to here were private meet and greets. I'm sure if Kate had been there in an official capacity it would have been much different.

Just my opinion on it.

Thank you for your input, EIIR and Osipi.
I wasn't aware everyone in the royal box is met by dignitaries; thanks for sharing.
And you are of course right, Osipi - I forgot Kate was there in private capacity, not official.

She brings watchers...

No offense intended - just sharing my opinion.

My opinion, All England Tennis Club and the Television coverage of it benefit from introducing and showing Pippa as well as her sister. I am certain some people watched today because the sisters (and I don't mean Williams) were watching. That's good for the Club and TV business.

Kate and Pippa are a compelling and fascinating story - two beautiful, wealthy commoners, kissed by a brush with royalty. TV just showed them again. We like them, we envy them and we want to see them. We like that they genuinely like one another. We enjoy their fashion hits and misses. They are entertaining, and a lovely break from our mundane lives.

I'm so sorry Murray lost, but the doubles came up a winner for the home team! So congrats!

I'll agree that she brings interest, I remember one poster saying that when it was announced she would attend, it would make the mens final more interesting to watch or something similar.
I disagree with the "we" in your post, not everyone enjoys these girls who have above everything else have been lucky and nothing else.

Sorry

I'll agree that she brings interest, I remember one poster saying that when it was announced she would attend, it would make the mens final more interesting to watch or something similar.
I disagree with the "we" in your post, not everyone enjoys these girls who have above everything else have been lucky and nothing else.

Sorry - I had no intent to offend or speak for you. By "we" I probably meant the average, silly, royal fan - in other words people like me.:lol: You, dear Lumutqueen, are nowhere near average and I could never speak for you.

not everyone enjoys these girls who have above everything else have been lucky and nothing else.

I don't subscribe to this point of view as both have successfully finished an excellent education and have been listening when people taught them about good manners - luck is not enough, you have to have something which can be discovered through a lucky chance. I doubt William would have dated a girl not in his league education and behaviour wise. At least not to the point when things became serious.

William is with Harry today while his wife enjoyed some time with her family at Wimbledon
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Kate and Pippa seem to be enjoying Wimbledon and it sounds like William and Harry have had a great lads weekend away, surfing in Cornwall.
Not really enough of a current event to be mentioned in Wills CE thread so thought I'd just post it here as a quick tidbit

Some pix from the screen
http://instagram.com/p/M1DCttQJHU/
http://instagram.com/p/M1CZYpQJG2/
http://instagram.com/p/M1CPiewJGq/ (I call this one spot Kate and Pippa!)
More here: https://twitter.com/#!/allthingsregal/media/grid

One of Kate driving the car
http://twitpic.com/a5g7xs

Last edited:

But you could say this about any royal, or anyone really. Every royal was 'lucky' that an accident of birth provided them with wealth and status that the vast majority of us can't imagine. Every successful actor, or singer or writer is 'lucky' to be discovered, to be in the right place at the right time and enjoy success that equally talented fellow artists never do.

Luck plays a huge role in all our lives. Doesn't mean we're uninteresting or unworthy of the privileges luck brings us.

Life is itself an event that is full of luck, bad luck, destiny, karma... whatever you believe in. This thread is about the Duchess so we all have the choice (=good luck) to not participate (unless someone is holding a Manolo Blahnik stiletto shoe to your head = bad luck).

Last edited:
William is with Harry today while his wife enjoyed some time with her family at Wimbledon
Not really enough of a current event to be mentioned in Wills CE thread so thought I'd just post it here as a quick tidbit

Some pix from the screen
Photo by allthingsregal • Instagram
Photo by allthingsregal • Instagram
Photo by allthingsregal • Instagram (I call this one spot Kate and Pippa!)
More here: https://twitter.com/#!/allthingsregal/media/grid

One of Kate driving the car
@allthingsregal I saw that Kate drove. Big sis picking up lil... on Twitpic

Thank ou for all the pictures, and the little tidbit about Wills having some down time :flowers:. Your updates are great.

What's a plebian tan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom