State Visit from Germany to Belgium: March 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does that mean Paola has decided to leave the Art Deco to Astrid ? I was afraid she might do something like that. IMHO, that tiara should remains the main branch of the Royal Family.

Astrid is Paola's only daughter and it is pretty normal that a mother leaves her bijoux to her very own girl, I think... The diadem is Paola's own property so on itself it is her good right to make her own choice. Astrid is married to the head of the prestigious House of Austria-Este, she has always been an exemplaric royal without any controverse so she "deserves" her own mother's diadem, I think.

The Belgians have so few tiaras I hope it remains in the family. Perhaps Astrid be allowed its use for events when she chooses:flowers: but it remains the property of the royal family. It was made for Queen Elizabeth, it would be great to see in Paola's granddaughter, the future Queen Elizabeth:)

I think it's something he bought at the garage-sale Henrik of Denmark had after retiring.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

True story, specially if you compare him to how well dressed Lorenz was.

And I do hope the Art Deco stays in the family, it's not as if the Belgians have an abundance of tiaras.

The Belgians have so few tiaras I hope it remains in the family. Perhaps Astrid be allowed its use for events when she chooses:flowers: but it remains the property of the royal family. It was made for Queen Elizabeth, it would be great to see in Paola's granddaughter, the future Queen Elizabeth:)

Totally agree with you! There is very pity if this tiara leave from the Royal Family!

The hairdo doesn't look quite right for the Laurel Wreath.
You nailed it. When she has previously worn the Laurel Wreath it looked quite dramatic and very elegant. With this rather odd hairstyle, it looks half hidden and almost insignificant.

Then again, why ever would Mathilde choose this tiara lesser tiara, when her S-I-L make a big splash wearing such a magnificent and historic tiara? It doesn't seem to make sense.

I am sure Queen Mathilde did not know Princess Astrid would wear her mother's art deco tiara and will stole the show.
I agree 100 % with Duc , the Princess wore her greatgrandmother, grandmother and mother's tiara. Why all for Princess Elisabeth ???

What a shock for King Philippe and Queen Mathilde yesterday evening : Laurent without white tie and Sash, no Claire .. and the Deco tiara for Princess Astrid.

You nailed it. When she has previously worn the Laurel Wreath it looked quite dramatic and very elegant. With this rather odd hairstyle, it looks half hidden and almost insignificant.

Then again, why ever would Mathilde choose this tiara lesser tiara, when her S-I-L make a big splash wearing such a magnificent and historic tiara? It doesn't seem to make sense.

In addition to the hairdo someone on Twitter said it looked like it was without the usual base and that's why it looks so small.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

In the future , will Queen Paola wear tiaras , I am not sure or abroad when tha actual Monarchs will not attend.
Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent did not smileat all. I hope we will see them for other State Visit.

I wonder why Princess Claire wasn't there? Strange to see Prince Laurent alone, and in this suit. He clearly is not happy with his role.

Prince Laurent and Princess Astrid did not enjoy the State Diner at all

But if it not was there again everyone would say why don't went the King's brothers not invited or snubbed!!! The same story again and again!!!!!!

It is not again and again , it is the first State Visit Dinner with their attendance.

Has anyone managed to work out what exactly Prince Laurent was wearing last night?

Belga Image - Editorial

I wonder if he wants to provocate by purpose. I understand if he´s cross with his parents, but why doing this to his brother?! In the beginning of the new reign he had so much positive to say about it...
If he really is cross, why did he attend at all?!

Everything put together, this particular royal family put on a poor, disharmonic show at this occasion:sad: Really wonder what the german presidential couple was thinking...?!
Still the king and queen tried their best.

Last edited:
On Princess Astrid's diadem I would add: it was given to Donna Paola when she married Prince Albert. That means the diadem was already out of the main line since then. Because Princess Paola unexpectly became Queen in the 1990's it came in the direct line again but that the diadem "left" to a side-line was in fact already decided more than 60 years ago.

It is not again and again , it is the first State Visit Dinner with their attendance.

Princess Astrdi also attended the State Dinner for the President of China.

I wonder if he wants to provocate by purpose. I understand if he´s cross with his parents, but why doing this to his brother?! In the beginning of the new reign he had so much positive to say about it...
If he really is cross, why did he attend at all?!

Everything put together, this particular royal family put on a poor, disharmonic show at this occasion:sad: Really wonder what the german presidential couple was thinking...?!
Still the king and queen tried their best.

Not only the royal family looked a bit disharmonic. Yesterday I saw M Siegfried Bracke (Chairman of the House of Representatives) in smoking. After seeing more pictures: he was not the only one. There was a mix of gentlemen in white tie, in smoking and in daily suit. It is a pity the dresscode was not more respected, to begin with Prince Laurent. If even royals do not care, how can one expect others to care?

Has anyone managed to work out what exactly Prince Laurent was wearing last night?

Belga Image - Editorial

Germany is a neighbour of Belgium, it is the most powerful state in the EU and of immense importance to Belgium. It is nice to be eccentric, but in the presence of the Bundespräsident? Hmmm.... Well, Herr Gauck respected the Belgian dresscode for 100%. In the German delegation were the high and the mighty from all sectors. What impression will grumpy Laurent have made on them?

Last edited:
Germany is a neighbour of Belgium, it is the most powerful state in the EU and of immense importance to Belgium. It is nice to be eccentric, but in the presence of the Bundespräsident? Hmmm.... Well, Herr Gauck respected the Belgian dresscode for 100%. In the German delegation were the high and the mighty from all sectors. What impression will grumpy Laurent have made on them?
I really doubt that President Gauck could be bothered about Laurent's garb. But Prince Laurent would to good not to compare himself to the Stasi victims while Mr. Gauck is within earshot. That wouldn't go down well.:whistling:

Duc, Prince Albert received the Deco tiara in December 1960 , not for their wedding.

Princess Astrid received new jewels for Josephine Charlote and Baudouin 's births.

King Albert I died , 3 months later was born the then King and Queen third Child and the widow Queen gave her own tiara.

I guess to me it just seems a shame that after Astrid the tiara will likely disappear into a vault never to be seen. Lorenz's family has at least one tiara to be used by Amadeo and his wife when they were head of the family. It wouldn't be the first time that a tiara was returned to the main branch of a family after the owner died. IMO, it would seem fitting that the 'Queen Elizabeth art deco tiara' be worn by the future Queen Elizabeth one day. Paola doesn't need to give it to Mathilde, simply leave it in the royal vaults, with the understanding it is to be borrowed by Astrid when she chooses. Elisabeth is as much her blood as Astrid, I don't think Paola would be too disappointed to see her granddaughter wear it.

The three archduchesses have a very social life. Do not underestimate the number of balls, weddings, anniveraries, jubilees and other festivities there are amongst the gotha!

That the three daughters of Princess Astrid are not visible in media does not mean they can not sparkle at events. Until not so long ago the French magazines Point de Vue and Paris Match covered this sort of events and you would be surprised by the glamour and the glitter members of the European aristocracy still spread at their unknown events... (picture / click to enlarge).

It comes handy when you are an Archduchess of Austria-Este and a Princess of Belgium, that you can appear according your high status and rank. The Bandeau can be worn as a stunning choker as well.

And I am sure the Austre Este family have many sparkling jewels of their own for the women to wear. Certainly they must have before Astrid married in. She has worn jewels and tiaras before now, when the bandeau was worn by her mother.

It is a Belgian tiara. Like I said, its great that Astrid be allowed to wear it. But why does it have to leave the Belgian royal family? While Paola was not meant to be queen, it was still remaining in the Belgian royal house. It would be like a tiara being given to Sofia or Madeleine. May not be intended for the queen (future) but still in the royal family. I prefer how the Swedes do it, that the majority of tiaras belong to the family, and are loaned to the varying ladies in the family. The king's sisters, wife, daughters and daughter in law all have access but they remain in the core. Considering the Belgians have so very few tiaras, and as Philippe's kids get older there will be 2 daughters and 2 daughter in laws needing tiaras for events, it seems fitting the tiara remain in the family collection.

The tiara has been worn by three queen consorts and one future (Mathilde on her wedding). That history should continue

Last edited:
I´m starting to believe that Pr Laurent will never overcome his demons and finish his "black sheep of the family" role.
Being "eccentric" is one thing. But turning down the highest order of the visiting guest by not putting it on is a very unpolite thing to do! I assume he also received the german federal order of merit as his sister and brother-in-law got it, too.
What I am saying is that this goes beyond not wearing white-tie!

Of course the President and Mrs. Schadt are too polite to show their astonishment or disappointment in public.

Last edited:
on is a very unpolite thing to do! I assume he also received the german federal order of merit as his sister and brother-in-law got it, too.
What I am saying is that this goes beyond not wearing white-tie!

Of course the President and Mrs. Schadt are too polite to show their astonishment or disappointment in public.

Probably he like his brother-sister and brother-in-law alread had their german order already received in 1998 when President Roman Herzog paid a State Visit to Belgium. But it is indeed a really strange behaviour of him to not follow the dresscode.

And I am sure the Austre Este family have many sparkling jewels of their own for the women to wear. Certainly they must have before Astrid married in. She has worn jewels and tiaras before now, when the bandeau was worn by her mother.

It is a Belgian tiara. Like I said, its great that Astrid be allowed to wear it. But why does it have to leave the Belgian royal family? While Paola was not meant to be queen, it was still remaining in the Belgian royal house. It would be like a tiara being given to Sofia or Madeleine. May not be intended for the queen (future) but still in the royal family. I prefer how the Swedes do it, that the majority of tiaras belong to the family, and are loaned to the varying ladies in the family. The king's sisters, wife, daughters and daughter in law all have access but they remain in the core. Considering the Belgians have so very few tiaras, and as Philippe's kids get older there will be 2 daughters and 2 daughter in laws needing tiaras for events, it seems fitting the tiara remain in the family collection.

The tiara has been worn by three reigning queens and one future (Mathilde on her wedding). That history should continue

It seems to be a tradition in the belgian Family that much oif the Jewels are left to daughters. Queen Marie_josé also got several belgian tiaras and other Jewels as Wedding gifts from their parents and also inherited some.
I can understand that it is a dilemma if like in the case of Queen Paola there is only tiara but 3 children. So who will inherit it. But in such a case that best is a Trust or something like this so that it can be shared by the 3 children.

Back
Top Bottom