Spanish State Visit to Germany; October 17-19, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
State visit of TTMM the King and Queen to the Federal Republic of Germany

Their Majesties the King and Queen will make a state visit to the Federal Republic of Germany on October 17, 18 and 19. This trip responds to the invitation of His Excellency the President of the Republic, Frank-Walter Steinmeier.

During their stay, Their Majesties the King and Queen will be accompanied by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation, José Manuel Albares, the Minister of Industry, Commerce and Tourism, Reyes Maroto, and the Minister of Culture and Sports, Miquel Iceta.

In addition to the institutional part in the capital, the program includes a visit to Frankfurt for the opening of the Book Fair, in which Spain is the guest country, and a visit to the European Central Bank.

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/es/Co...aginas/2022_COMUNICADOS/20221006_COMU065.aspx

Sunday 16

Official farewell with honors at the State Pavilion of Terminal 4 of Madrid's Adolfo Suárez Airport.

Reception to the Spanish community in Germany.

Monday 17

Official welcoming ceremony at Bellevue Palace by the President of the Federal Republic of Germany, Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and his wife, Elke Büdenbender.

Floral offering at the Monument to the Victims of War and Tyranny.

Visit to the Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society, which is directed by the Spaniard, Beatriz Roldán.

Meeting with Chancellor Olaf Sholz.

State dinner

Tuesday 18

King Felipe VI will inaugurate the Spanish-German Forum at the Berlin headquarters of the Bertelsmann Foundation, in which Spanish businessmen will participate and discuss sustainability versus digital technology.

King Felipe VI holds a meeting with the president of the German parliament, Bärbel Bas.

Queen Letizia will visit an exhibition of Spanish artists at the Palais Populaire in Berlin.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia will visit the town hall and the Brandenburg Gate.

Official opening of the Frankfurt Book Fair.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia will offer a reception to the German President.

Wednesday 19

Visit to the Spanish exhibitors at the Frankfurt Book Fair.

Visit to the headquarters of the European Central Bank, and meeting with its president, Christine Lagarde.

Meeting with German Hispanists at the Cervantes Institute.

https://www.larazon.es/espana/20221010/fs74kkahpnci5hap6vkvni7vay.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this visit and hopefully it won't be too chilly!

Finally confirm this visit. I expect a gala banquet, but Queen Letizia (like Queen Sofia) does not wear tiaras when visiting the republics.

I hope we get a nice Gala event, and they visit the restored Potsdam City Palace where the King's Prussian maternal ancestors lived:

Potsdamer Stadtschloss - Reconstruction
Then they could visit many Places in Berlin and Potsdam. For certain there will be a State Banquet in the first evening and i hope that the Queen will wear a tiara but i doubt it as the dress code for them is usually black tie.

Finally confirm this visit. I expect a gala banquet, but Queen Letizia (like Queen Sofia) does not wear tiaras when visiting the republics.
I like Queen Sofia but I would love a Tiara moment. And I hope one day soon we see the Infantas in these foreign Galas too

I like Queen Sofia but I would love a Tiara moment. And I hope one day soon we see the Infantas in these foreign Galas too

My guess is not abroad but at incoming State Visits to Spain.

Then they could visit many Places in Berlin and Potsdam. For certain there will be a State Banquet in the first evening and i hope that the Queen will wear a tiara but i doubt it as the dress code for them is usually black tie.

QEII wore a tiara with black tie dresscode but the set-up looked quite strange. Unfortunately we are not good at glamour and the first lady usually wears a rather frumpy dress. It will suit the style of Letizia.
Therefore there is not much to expect I'm afraid.

I hope we get a nice Gala event, and they visit the restored Potsdam City Palace where the King's Prussian maternal ancestors lived:

Potsdamer Stadtschloss - Reconstruction

If Queen Letizia sticks with Queen Sofia’s precedent, she won’t wear a tiara on an outgoing state visit to a republic, although she does wear it on incoming visits from presidents to Spain.

I never quite understood that.

Last edited:
QEII wore a tiara with black tie dresscode but the set-up looked quite strange. Unfortunately we are not good at glamour and the first lady usually wears a rather frumpy dress. It will suit the style of Letizia.
Therefore there is not much to expect I'm afraid.

All Queen#s wore tiaras at their State Visits to Germany recently. Queen Margrethe wore the pearl-poiree tiara, Queen Máxima the small setting of the Stuart tiara, Queen Silvia the Connaught tiara. but what was different for Queen elizabethj II. was that she also wore the sash of the german order of Merit which usually not done for black tie Banquets. She also didn't use it in 2004 when the dressicode for the State Banquet was also black tie.

Somehow is miss the old times when the State Banquet took place at Augustusburg Castle in Brühl. They where much more glamorous then nowadays.

All Queen#s wore tiaras at their State Visits to Germany recently. Queen Margrethe wore the pearl-poiree tiara, Queen Máxima the small setting of the Stuart tiara, Queen Silvia the Connaught tiara. but what was different for Queen elizabethj II. was that she also wore the sash of the german order of Merit which usually not done for black tie Banquets. She also didn't use it in 2004 when the dressicode for the State Banquet was also black tie.

Somehow is miss the old times when the State Banquet took place at Augustusburg Castle in Brühl. They where much more glamorous then nowadays.
Letizia wore white tie without Tiara for the state visit to Portugal. Maxima, Mathilde, Maria Teresa wore Tiara for the same event, most likely she will recycle a gown and the joyas de pasar earrings no bracelet, necklace or brooch expected..

Did she? Strange attitude for a Queen...

https://www.bundespraesident.de/Sha...r/2022/10/221017-18-Staatsbesuch-Spanien.html

599 / 5.000

Together with King Felipe VI. the Federal President will take part in the German-Spanish Forum on the morning of October 18. In the morning, Elke Büdenbender and Queen Letizia visit the exhibition ""Escribir todos sus nombres"" from the collection of the Helga de Alvear Museum in the Palais Populaire. In the afternoon, the Federal President and King Felipe VI. the Frankfurt Book Fair, where Spain is the guest country this year. The day ends with a reception hosted by King Felipe VI. and Queen Letizia. On October 19, the Spanish royal couple will hold further appointments in Frankfurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queens of Spain do not wear tiaras on state visits to republics. I don't know why, but that's how it is.

if she wear a tiara, I have a some predictions: La Buena, Cartier Fleur-de-Lys Tiara or the Floral Tiara

if she wear a tiara, I have a some predictions: La Buena, Cartier Fleur-de-Lys Tiara or the Floral Tiara

I wish she would wear the famous Peregrina pearl. For ages I believed the Liz Taylor and Richard Burton lie she owned the pearl, they had another one using the same name. The real one was all along with Queen Sofia, and she already gave it to Letizia for her use.

I doubt there will be a tiara ,we might get a bracelet or bangle at best.

Qow...! They don´t even bother to wear the miniatures of their respective orders...

Qow...! They don´t even bother to wear the miniatures of their respective orders...

That is what i wondered to. I'm sure King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima wore them last year.- Not sure if also Queen Margrethe and Crown Prince Frederik.

Of course for the Welcome Ceremony they probably didn't have it yet but for the State Banquet they should have got them.

That is what i wondered to. I'm sure King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima wore them last year.- Not sure if also Queen Margrethe and Crown Prince Frederik.

Of course for the Welcome Ceremony they probably didn't have it yet but for the State Banquet they should have got them.

Well, according with the BOE (State Gazette), the German president was awarded with the Collar of the Order of Isabel la Católica

Normally these things are negotiated between the two countries. The Spanish Royal House normally adapts to the rules of the country they visit, and if normally in Germany they do not use them, they are not going to ask them to do so. If they visit a monarchy and have to wear a uniform, a hat, wear a tiara twice... they do it... but if they visit a republic and they have to lower the etiquette because it is the custom there, they do it too.

Dinner photos from Casa Real

Well, according with the BOE (State Gazette), the German president was awarded with the Collar of the Order of Isabel la Católica

It looks like the Collar of the Order of Isabella the Catholic is the standard decoration awarded to presidents of foreign republics as their first Spanish order. In a second state visit, they may be upgraded to Collar of the Order of Charles III.

An European monarch, however, may be awarded the Collar of the Order of Charles III right away and, maybe later, may be admitted as a Knight of the Golden Fleece (which would be roughly equivalent to the Garter in England).

Normally these things are negotiated between the two countries. The Spanish Royal House normally adapts to the rules of the country they visit, and if normally in Germany they do not use them, they are not going to ask them to do so. If they visit a monarchy and have to wear a uniform, a hat, wear a tiara twice... they do it... but if they visit a republic and they have to lower the etiquette because it is the custom there, they do it too.

Dinner photos from Casa Real

So it seems different rules for different royal Houses as both the danish and the dutch royals wore the miniatures of the german order at the respecitve State Banquets. And the dresscode was both times the same as today.

So it seems different rules for different royal Houses as both the danish and the dutch royals wore the miniatures of the german order at the respecitve State Banquets. And the dresscode was both times the same as today.

But in both cases their queens also wore tiaras, so probably those monarchies requested the use of decorations.

Back
Top Bottom