Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doña Leonor de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

madeleine victoria said:
Does anyone know the complete name of Leonor?

She is called:
Su Alteza Real Doña Leonor de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz, Infanta de España.

(Translated:
Her Royal Highness Lady Leonor of all the Saints of Bourbon and Ortiz, Infant of Spain.)

Last edited:
Rebafan81 said:
What about Princess Mary, you can't more common then that. Has there ever been any talk about her changing her name? I think with the movement of royalty into the 21st century, your name should stay as it is. Just my opinion...
Well, her father in law went from Henri to Henrik, but Denmark has become much more international since then. And as was mentioned, Mary is among the "royal" names, if not in Denmark then at least in the UK

Henri M. said:
She is called:
Su Alteza Real Doña Leonor de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz, Infanta de España.

(Translated:
Her Royal Highness Lady Leonor of all the Saints of Bourbon and Ortiz, Infant of Spain.)

Just to satisfy my curiosity.. why is she called a LADY instead of Princess? she's called Infanta because she's thedaughter of the heir to the throne. like her aunts, they are Infantas bec they are daughters of the current king of Spain. sorry for my ignorance, it's just that Spain is so complicated...and i really like their RF..:)

madeleine victoria said:
Just to satisfy my curiosity.. why is she called a LADY instead of Princess? she's called Infanta because she's thedaughter of the heir to the throne. like her aunts, they are Infantas bec they are daughters of the current king of Spain. sorry for my ignorance, it's just that Spain is so complicated...and i really like their RF..:)

If she was a lady, her title would be Infanta Doña Leonor, as Doña means "Lady". However, this is not her title. Her official title is HRH Infanta Leonor of Spain, so yes she is a Princess. I was looking at the Royal Family's official website, and I notice that Letizia has Doña preceding her name, so I am assuming that in this case, it is merely an honorific and not her actual title.

Last edited:
Infant / Infanta

Infant and Infanta are the male anf female form of 'Child'. 'Infanta de España' litterally means: 'Child of Spain'.

In France they also say 'Fils de France' (Son of France).

In the Netherlands Willem III of Nassau, Prince of Orange (later King of England) was called 'Kind van Staat' (Infant of State) because his father Willem II of Nassau died shortly before his birth and he was raised under custody of the Lords States-General (the present Dutch parliament).

So

morhange said:
Something that just hit me earlier when I was reading hellomagazine's online article about the Luxembourg wedding anniversary.

All of the current Crown Princesses in Europe, and most of them are commoners, still have very regal names. You have Mary, Mathilde, Maxima, Letizia, Sophie, Maria Teresa (because she's a commoner, but her name is still very royal). The only one which sort of isn't is Mette-Marit, but it easily sounds just as regal and pretty, and it's very unique.

Very interesting that these princes chose to marry commoner ladies with such gloriously royal names. Thank goodness, otherwise we might be gossiping about Crown Princess Cindy of Denmark, or the Hereditary Princess Gretchen (not that there's anything wrong with these names, but I think you get what I mean)

I separate the cases
Mary is very very commun, nothing special, the person looks regal to me, but her name not especially.
Mathilde, belongs to a very high aristocratic family, from both sides, her mother is a polish countess, so these families give very regal historical names to their girls, even if she had not married Prince Philip, she would have sound regal.
Maria Teresa, YES it souns very regal
All other, is nothing for me, you have a lot of Sophies, of Leticias, I even now some Maximus & Maximas.
About Mette Maritt, it does not sound very high to me, but I think you have to speak Norwegian to really feel it.

fandesacs2003 said:
I separate the cases
Mary is very very commun, nothing special, the person looks regal to me, but her name not especially.

This very special name is at once very common and in the same time very regal. Lot of queens and princesses have been named Mary/Marie/Maria...

Mathilde, belongs to a very high aristocratic family, from both sides, her mother is a polish countess, so these families give very regal historical names to their girls, even if she had not married Prince Philip, she would have sound regal.

Mathilde is, you're right, a regal name, that several queens had.

Maria Teresa, YES it souns very regal
All other, is nothing for me, you have a lot of Sophies, of Leticias, I even now some Maximus & Maximas.
About Mette Maritt, it does not sound very high to me, but I think you have to speak Norwegian to really feel it.

I agree with Maria Teresa: it's a very regal name, and we can only think to empress Maria Teresa of Austria.
Maxima is great but not regal to me, Sophie is ok, so is Letizia. As for Mette-Marit, I don't know what to think.

There's a difference between your "daily" name, or what people call you on a day to day basis and your "legal" name, which is what you were registered with. My legal name on my birth certificate is Beth Ann *last name*, and I could use either as my "daily" name, but only Beth is my legal first name, as Ann is my middle name. I cannot use Ann as my legal name unless I have my name legally changed to Ann.

Usually, if a person is known by a nickname or derivative it can be their legal name as long as it is on their Social Security Card. There are affidavits just for that cause which I belive have to filed in a court.

Didn't Queen Mary go by the name of Princess May and then Princess Mary once she married? I think so but I'm sure someone could set the record straight for me.

Last edited:
kerry said:
Usually, if a person is known by a nickname or derivative it can be their legal name as long as it is on their Social Security Card. Their are affidavits just for that cause which I belive have to filed in a court.

Didn't Queen Mary go by the name of Princess May and then Princess Mary once she married? I think so but I'm sure someone could set the record straight for me.

Queen Mary's first name was Victoria, her second name Mary. She went by Mary as Queen because Queen Victoria requested no queen use that name after her [When she became Queen, that would have been her name], so she used Mary instead. May is just a nickname for Mary.

And you can't have nicknames on your social security card. Your social security card must have your LEGAL name on it. If your name is Katherine and everyone calls you Kitty, you can't put Kitty on your social security card unless you legally change your name to Kitty. When a woman marries and changes her last name, she must apply for a new social security card to reflect her new name. She can't use the card that had her maiden name on it. If you decide to legally change your first name to your middle name, you need to get a new card. Legal names are not the same as daily names. Like my friend for example; she goes by Marie, which is her middle name but on her social security card it says Elizabeth Marie because Elizabeth is her legal first name.

Sister Morphine said:
Queen Mary's first name was Victoria, her second name Mary. She went by Mary as Queen because Queen Victoria requested no queen use that name after her [When she became Queen, that would have been her name], so she used Mary instead. May is just a nickname for Mary.

And you can't have nicknames on your social security card. Your social security card must have your LEGAL name on it. If your name is Katherine and everyone calls you Kitty, you can't put Kitty on your social security card unless you legally change your name to Kitty. When a woman marries and changes her last name, she must apply for a new social security card to reflect her new name. She can't use the card that had her maiden name on it. If you decide to legally change your first name to your middle name, you need to get a new card. Legal names are not the same as daily names. Like my friend for example; she goes by Marie, which is her middle name but on her social security card it says Elizabeth Marie because Elizabeth is her legal first name.

Thanks, Sister Morphine. I didn't quite know what was what with Queen Mary just that she was called something else prior to her being queen.

I didn't change my card until I was married for almost a year. When I filed my income taxes for that year, my maiden was on my tax return because I had not changed it to my married name.

The only way that you can have a nickname on your social security card is if that is your legal name. Your card can read BOZO THE CLOWN as long as that is your legal name. It can become your legal name via name affadavits.

Last edited:
Queen Mary was referred to as Princess May of Teck before she married.

Yes, I think I've read that too. Plus the fact that she wasn't allowed to call herself "Victoria".

kerry said:
The only way that you can have a nickname on your social security card is if that is your legal name. Your card can read BOZO THE CLOWN as long as that is your legal name. It can become your legal name via name affadavits.

Right, which is what I said. If you want your nickname on your social security card, you must legally change your name to that name and then reapply for a new card.

iowabelle said:
Queen Mary was referred to as Princess May of Teck before she married.

And I believe she was referred to as May even after she was Queen, by those closest to her.

I often wonder if William were to marry someone else [say he and Kate split up] and her name is Victoria, if they'd make her choose another name to reign under.

Sister Morphine said:
I often wonder if William were to marry someone else [say he and Kate split up] and her name is Victoria, if they'd make her choose another name to reign under.

If William were to marry Kate and she will become queen, I think Queen Kate is very odd. Does she have any name? Is Kate her nickname only?

Sister Morphine said:
And I believe she was referred to as May even after she was Queen, by those closest to her.

Hmmmm. King George VI's consort was Queen Elizabeth. I don't know if it was suggested that she change her name because of Elizabeth I but that was long, long before his reign. Maybe William's bride (if her name was truly Victoria) won't have to change it for just that reason, she won't be the regent. But maybe because Queen Victoria reigned for so long and just about every monarchy is related through her; a way of paying homage. Would be interesting though.

madeleine victoria said:
If William were to marry Kate and she will become queen, I think Queen Kate is very odd. Does she have any name? Is Kate her nickname only?
Her real name could very well be Katherine, and Queen Katherine sounds a whole lot better than Queen Kate, doesn't it? At least I think so.

kerry said:
Hmmmm. King George VI's consort was Queen Elizabeth. I don't know if it was suggested that she change her name because of Elizabeth I but that was long, long before his reign. Maybe William's bride (if her name was truly Victoria) won't have to change it for just that reason, she won't be the regent. But maybe because Queen Victoria reigned for so long and just about every monarchy is related through her; a way of paying homage. Would be interesting though.
I hope that rule doesn't exist anymore, and that a Queen Victoria would be acceptable today. Mary of Teck lived in the days of Queen Victoria, but no future Queen Victoria could have that problem.

Last edited:
I have never heard of the theory that Queen Victoria wouldn't allow another Victoria to follow her as Queen (or consort).
QUite frankly I would be quite surprised about that, since almost every branch of her rather large family and those who wanted to flatter her called their children Victor/ia and Albert/a.
In fact QV once wrote a letter to princess May, saying how wonderful she found it, that they had so much in common: the birthplace, the name and the destiny. The reason for QM choosing Mary instead of Victoria however is said in many biographies to be the fact, that both Mary and her husband never liked double names and they thought the memory of QV was still too vividly alive for the country to accept another Queen Victoria.

As for modern names and prince or princess titles, I believe that you get used to the combination very quickly. Silvia doesn't automatically ring good with Queen, however, now we are used to it and it is no tongue twister anymore.
A lot of modern names can be traced back to old traditional ones or maybe there is a traditional middle name that could be used. However I presume we today would get used to amost everything.
Anyway, it is a good lesson for all who intend to call their children "The audience is listening" "jet" " Joe Louis Arena" or "Boo Peep"
Just keep in mind, that your child (if not Prince or Princess) might want to become something serious.:)

I think "Queen Silvia" sounds good. Much better than "Queen Kate" would anyway. But that might be because she's the queen here in Sweden for as long as I have lived, so I'm used to it. But really, I think "Silvia" is a nice queen's name.

well, as Kate´s name in original form is probably Catherine, so it is likely that it will become Princess Catherine, which sounds rather regal (the spouse of Charles II and several of Henri VIII were Catherine´s). The thought of a princess Chelsey however gives me shivers.
Queen Sonja sounds a bit weird to, as does Queen Sylvia to me, but after a while you get used to it.

Marengo, Catherine does have a regal ring to it.

fee said:
I have never heard of the theory that Queen Victoria wouldn't allow another Victoria to follow her as Queen (or consort).
QUite frankly I would be quite surprised about that, since almost every branch of her rather large family and those who wanted to flatter her called their children Victor/ia and Albert/a.

Didn't Queen Victoria request (or strongly suggest) that all of her grandchildren (& future generations) have either Victoria or Albert as one of their names? I could have sworn I read that or heard that somewhere. Thats why so many of the children had Victoria or Albert in their list of names.

madeleine victoria said:

Kate's name is Catherine Elizabeth, Kate is simply her nickname. So, if they do marry, she would be Princess/Queen Catherine, which I think is very regal

I agree.....Catherine is a very regal-sounding name.

Here is a regal name that has been used by five different female royals Maria-Antionette. I like that name but it has been used too much.

I really like the name Olympia, like Queen Olympia of Greece. It sounds regal as well. She was the mother of Alexander the Great if I'm not mistaken

Last edited:
JessRulz said:
Kate's name is Catherine Elizabeth, Kate is simply her nickname. So, if they do marry, she would be Princess/Queen Catherine, which I think is very regal
Goody goody! Queen Catherine sounds good! But if guess, if she and William got married, people would also continue to call her "Kate", maybe not "Queen Kate" though.

Australian said:
I really like the name Olympia, like Queen Olympia of Greece. It sounds regal as well. She was the mother of Alexander the Great if I'm not mistaken
You're almost right, I think. Alexander the Great's mother was Queen Olympias, not Queen Olympia, right? Well, one of us is only one letter off.

Last edited:
Next Star said:
Here is a regal name that has been used by five different female royals Maria-Antionette. I like that name but it has been used too much.
Not to mention that one wearer met with a fairly gruesome demise.

Furienna said:
You're almost right, I think. Alexander the Great's mother was Queen Olympias, not Queen Olympia, right? Well, one of us is only one letter off.

Furienna, you are right, I just checked it out. :)

Back
Top Bottom