Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad, I thought Princess Margaret and Prince Richard were in the same generation [emoji2]
As first cousins they were in the same generation but born 14 years apart.

Princess Margaret was the 'spare' until Prince Charles was born late in 1948. She then saw, as the Queen's children grew up and had children themselves, her role near to the Throne diminish. I pointed out in my previous post that had she taken the route of many in Continental royal houses she could have had a satisfying role elsewhere from her twenties onwards.

Prince Harry is the first Royal who is near to the Throne to walk away. It's been stated in many articles that in spite of Charles intending to slim down the monarchy that Harry (and his wife) were going to be a vital part of that small knot of royals performing fulltime Royal duties.

However, being a future King's son and a fulltime Royal doesn't require a form of servitude, of contemplating years and years of doing the same sort of engagements for ever until old age and death! If a person feels unfulfilled, unhappy or miserable in the performing of his role as a full time Royal (or his spouse does) then he has every right to withdraw from it.

Last edited:
The Queen mother said something about service and privilege.
The bottom line is that everything Harry has achieved is because of his birth. The trust funds, his mother's inheritance. His name.
He achieved personally his military achievements but for whatever reason he did not wish to continue with that.
Meghan was well known within a certain level of the entertainment world, but not internationally known until she married Harry.
I get annoyed when people who served the Queen are put down as subservient when they maybe saw it as an honour.
If this latest reveal about being subservient really is a leaked story from Harry I would be really disappointed in him. But what is new.
If it is untrue he should sue.

Princess Margaret was the 'spare' until Prince Charles was born late in 1948. She then saw, as the Queen's children grew up and had children themselves, her role near to the Throne diminish. I pointed out in my previous post that had she taken the route of many in Continental royal houses she could have had a satisfying role elsewhere from her twenties onwards.

Prince Harry is the first Royal who is near to the Throne to walk away. It's been stated in many articles that in spite of Charles intending to slim down the monarchy that Harry (and his wife) were going to be a vital part of that small knot of royals performing fulltime Royal duties.

However, being a future King's son and a fulltime Royal doesn't require a form of slavery, of contemplating years and years of doing the same sort of engagements for ever until old age and death! If a person feels unfulfilled, unhappy or miserable in the performing of his role as a full time Royal (or his spouse does) then he has every right to withdraw from it.

I take the point you are trying to make but please do not use the word slavery. That is unacceptable.

I've changed the word to servitude if that is acceptable, as in below, meaning 1.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/servitude

Why would Harry sue over remarks made by an historian and author to a magazine? Robert Lacey has probably never met Harry, isn't in communication with him as far as is known and he is giving his own views on Meghan and Harry's leaving the Royal fold and on the Royal Family structure, which is an heirarchal one. Lacey hasn't quoted Harry on anything about Megxit in this interview so there is nothing to sue about.

Last edited:
I've changed the word to servitude if that is acceptable.

Why would Harry sue over remarks made by an historian and author made to a magazine? Robert Lacey has probably never met Harry, isn't in communication with him as far as is known and his giving his own views on Meghan and Harry's leaving the Royal fold and on the Royal Family structure, which is an heirarchal one. Lacey hasn't quoted Harry on anything about Megxit in this interview so there is nothing to sue about.

I am happy to discuss not argue, but as I said they have a privilege life in return for duty not servitude.
Harry chose a different life , he did not wish duty.
Which is fine, but he did and still does have a privileged life because of his birth.
If he is happy in his new life, good for him, but please do not forget his birth and his place in the world because of his birth. He even acknowledged that himself on his new website by referring to his mother. He used his birthright to promote his new life.

Harry is not responsible for his birth (none of us are) nor of the family into which he was born. And others, such as the Wessexes, tried to pull away from the Royal round by continuing their private businesses though it didn't work out for them.

I don't recall any media reproofs for them or accusations of being undutiful at the time they announced they would be keeping their businesses on and pursuing a private life. They did not reject the royal titles Edward was given, (nor should they, as Edward was son of the monarch.)

And Harry before he left Britain emphasised his respect for his grandmother as sovereign, referring to her as his Commander in Chief, the woman he served throughout the ten years of his military career.

Last edited:
My bad, I thought Princess Margaret and Prince Richard were in the same generation ?

Yes they were the same generation but very different. Not only in their position to the throne. But also in their gender.

Richard was the younger son of a Duke. He was never expected to even become Duke of Gloucester, not alone take on royal duties. He had the education expected of a gentleman of his position in society. And as expected of men, he had career goals to be an architect.

Margaret on the other hand was the spare to the throne. And a woman. Even Elizabeth was home-schooled, tutors instead of boarding school like male heirs. Alexandra was the first royal woman to be sent to boarding school. Even if she had not been spare to the throne, Margaret grew up on a time where the idea that a woman's place was in the home with kids and supporting her husband was still strong. Her lack of formal education, being raised in a time when women weren't encouraged for careers, and her role as the spare to the throne all shaped any choices made in her life.

If she was even born a generation later, things may have been different. Like her niece Anne she would likely have received a higher education. And may have found more private interests beyond simply supporting the crown. Anne has always had her riding and horses, beyond her royal duties.

If she had the education of Anne, or even her daughter Sarah, and grew up in a decade where a woman working was more normal, Margaret may very well have been different. She may not have been satisfied as simply a support for her sister while the kids were young.

I still find it sad that Harry had to leave the royal family to be able to explore personal business. There is really no need for full time royals, besides the monarch and direct heirs. A handful of part time royals would more then fill any other needs. Harry and others should not only be applauded for wanting to make their way personally, but encouraged to do so as well.

The York girls are the perfect example you can do both. Even though they aren't official working royals. They both manage to have private jobs while they have a dozen or so patronages as well. There is a way to balance both.

The York girls are the perfect example you can do both. Even though they aren't official working royals. They both manage to have private jobs while they have a dozen or so patronages as well. There is a way to balance both.

I agree that the York girls that can claim both. I believe the public's big out cry is that neither of the York girls have ever received compensation for any of their patronages or appearances. Any money spent they pay for [transportation etc.] Harry and Meghan can not claim that and it seems [at least media is claiming] that they still want both plus the huge protection expense while not living in the UK. I just think this argument is all about money from the Taxpayer. Plain and simple. Once that gets satisfied, there should be no problem by anyone. JMO

The Yorks are not working royals and never were. They do not represent the queen and they support their charities as private individuals. THey are nothing like Haryr and Meghan.

Robert Lacey may still be respected by some, but not by me and I suspect not by many others. That comment about subservience is a slap in the face to the hard working members of the BRF. Was Mr. Lacey saying the institution of the monarchy was about subservience before his loathsome book? When he spent years writing about the Royals? NOPE. NOPE. He has sold his soul.

As for H and M, given what has happened in my country, I don’t want to hear a word from Harry (she’s a citizen).

The Yorks are not working royals and never were. They do not represent the queen and they support their charities as private individuals. THey are nothing like Haryr and Meghan.

And due to this fact, I'm was surprised that the Sussexes' statement appeared to reference them along with Prince Michael of Kent since they're titled members of the BRF who have employment outside of the institution when stating their desire to be official representatives while earning a private income.

https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/royals/harry-meghan-website-update-beatrice-eugenie-a4369861.html

Under a section on the website titled "As agreed and set out in January 2020" the Duke and Duchess of Sussex provided more details on their stated aim to become "privately funded members of The Royal Family with permission to earn their own income and the ability to pursue their own private charitable interests.The statement nodded to other members of the Royal Family who maintain HRH titles while earning money privately:

"While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place."

"

That being said, I do hope that the Sussexes have had the opportunity to share with the York princess and Prince Michael what they were referring to in their statement.

Last edited:
And due to this fact, I'm was surprised that the Sussexes' statement appeared to reference them along with Prince Michael of Kent since they're titled members of the BRF who have employment outside of the institution when stating their desire to be official representatives while earning a private income.

https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/royals/harry-meghan-website-update-beatrice-eugenie-a4369861.html

That being said, I do hope that the Sussexes have had the opportunity to share with the York princess and Prince Michael what they were referring to in their statement.

They were being entirely disingenuous with their statement, working whilst having a title and doing private patronages on the side isn't the same as wanting to use your titles to make money. And they lashed out because they were denied that part. Otherwise why complain?

It's possible that one day they might become members that turn up at Trooping etc again but it might not be any time soon, especially if they want to turn up with a Netflix camera crew in tow.

They were being entirely disingenuous with their statement, working whilst having a title and doing private patronages on the side isn't the same as wanting to use your titles to make money. And they lashed out because they were denied that part. Otherwise why complain?

It's possible that one day they might become members that turn up at Trooping etc again but it might not be any time soon, especially if they want to turn up with a Netflix camera crew in tow.

I personally think Meghan did herself and Harry no favours by naming Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie and Prince Michael of Kent in her court papers. All it does is ruin Harry & Meghan's relationship with them or even the other members of the Royal Family.

Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie and Prince Michael of Kent do earn their living and have royal patronages. And again, it's not the same as using their title to make money.

In terms of Trooping of the Colour, it all depends on how the Royal Family and Palaces decide on who could appear on the balcony. Currently, it's the descendants of The Queen, Princess Margaret, (1st) Duke of Gloucester and (1st) Duke of Kent. Not only did they have to agree with decision as a family, but also consider public opinions.

Meghan even mentioned that she felt unprotected by the Royal Family as an institution. Again, some members of the Royal Family would be very upset or even frustrated that their staff has been thrown under the bus.

In terms of Trooping of the Colour, it all depends on how the Royal Family and Palaces decide on who could appear on the balcony. Currently, it's the descendants of The Queen, Princess Margaret, (1st) Duke of Gloucester and (1st) Duke of Kent. Not only did they have to agree with decision as a family, but also consider public opinions.

Did Diana and Sarah make balcony appearance after the brouhaha in early 90's prior to the divorce?

The discussion is supposed to be about the personal relationships between members of the Royal Family, not a re-hash of discussions already had elsewhere about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex or the careers/employment of the royals.

Further posts unrelated to the topic will be deleted.

Tom Bradby did an interview with Alan Titchmarsh on the ITV show, Love Your Weekend With Alan Titchmarsh. When I first read the Evening Standards article, I felt there are some conflicting claims on the relationship between Harry & Meghan and the other royal family members. Second time reading, it was less so, because Tom Bradby summarised that the relationship (mainly) between William and Harry is impacted by "their positions in life"

Duke of Sussex ‘heartbroken by situation with family’ after US move, says Tom Bradby
But friend and ITV News anchor Tom Bradby said Harry and Meghan were ‘content’ with their new lives
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/harry-heartbroken-us-move-tom-bradby-b899977.html

Tom Bradby did an interview with Alan Titchmarsh on the ITV show, Love Your Weekend With Alan Titchmarsh. When I first read the Evening Standards article, I felt there are some conflicting claims on the relationship between Harry & Meghan and the other royal family members. Second time reading, it was less so, because Tom Bradby summarised that the relationship (mainly) between William and Harry is impacted by "their positions in life"

Duke of Sussex ‘heartbroken by situation with family’ after US move, says Tom Bradby
But friend and ITV News anchor Tom Bradby said Harry and Meghan were ‘content’ with their new lives
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/harry-heartbroken-us-move-tom-bradby-b899977.html
This is the one that contradictorily claims Harry's heartbroken by his split with his family but happy with his new life..

This is the one that contradictorily claims Harry's heartbroken by his split with his family but happy with his new life..

That's not a contradictions. Humans feel more then one emotion.

It's extremely possible to be happy living your life but still have some pain. Just because he loves Meghan and thrust life in the USA doesn't mean he doesn't miss his family. Anyone who has moved abroad or far from family will tell you that no matter how much you may live your new life you do miss people.

But that flies in the face of the whole narrative people paint. That Meghan has brainwashed Harry into forgetting about his family. That or he us a prisoner who hates his life but with no way back.

It's much simpler to call this a contradiction then admit he can be truly happy in his new life but sad over distance with his dad and others.

Lovely article about how Kate helped bring Charles and William closer together. As I adore Kate, this gave me warm fuzzies..

Sometimes parents and children just don't see eye to eye, though it doesn't mean they don't love each other (this would be like Philip and Charles). Charles and William's relationship seemed more complicated, for many reasons, which the article referenced (like Charles' own childhood). But really, it just seemed like they weren't on the same page. I'm so glad that these two have been able to come to an understanding and enjoy a much closer relationship.

Kate, 39, has also been instrumental in fostering the father/son relationship. Organising Charles's family portrait for his 70th birthday with Harry and William, who had fallen out spectacularly, did not prove easy.

She helped make it happen and ensured that all the children synchronised smiles for the camera.

She has also encouraged Charles to visit their home, Anmer Hall. This is helped by the fact he is spending more time at Sandringham running the estate, which was once the preserve of his 99-year-old father.

Last summer, Kate made sure that her family was back in time from their holiday to the Isles of Scilly to coincide with Charles's stay, so 'Grandpa' could give birthday presents to seven-year-old George.

She also took the gorgeous, intimate picture of Charles resting his head on a beaming William's shoulder as they walked in the Norfolk countryside last winter – a photograph released by Clarence House for William's birthday last June.

Charles spent time with the Cambridges, too, on country walks at the start of this month, when at Sandringham for estate business.

All six share a love of the outdoors, and Charles and William enjoy identifying wild birds to the youngsters – the wetlands around the Sandringham estate attract many breeds of wild fowl, in addition to buzzards, marsh harriers, kestrels, owls and goshawks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...nce-William-Prince-Charless-relationship.html

I had wondered who had taken the warm photo of Charles and William. Thank you for sharing the article.

I had wondered who had taken the warm photo of Charles and William. Thank you for sharing the article.

You’re welcome ! I’m not surprised; Kate brings out humanity in people, and that’s one of my favorite photos ever.

Since the announcement of the Sussexes not returning as working royals and redistribution of their former patronages and honorary military title, there has been some allege insider story on the relationship between the royal family members. Roya Nikkhah has tweeted and written an article on The Sunday Times, that the Duke of Cambridge was apparently upset by Duke and Duchess of Sussex' behaviour towards The Queen, but will missed his brother and wanted to reconcile. The Queen hoped the tension would eventually stop and has written a "warm but firm" letter. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex wanted to focus more on the personal relationship within the royal family rather than the business aspect.

William ‘sad and shocked’ at Harry
Duke ‘furious at insult to Queen’ but misses his brother and hopes they can be reconciled
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/william-sad-and-shocked-at-harry-pv002r9pn

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
EXCLUSIVE The Duke of Cambridge is “sad and shocked” by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s behaviour towards the Queen, but will “miss” his brother Harry “forever” and is “intent” on a reconciliation, those closest to Prince William tell @thesundaytimes
https://thetimes.co.uk/article/william-sad-and-shocked-at-harry-pv002r9pn
8:00 PM · Feb 21, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
Replying to @RoyaNikkhah
The Queen hopes for a royal ceasefire and wrote the Sussexes a “warm” but firm letter, while Harry and Meghan are also understood to want to focus on “the personal relationship they have in the family” rather than the more turbulent “family business”
8:04 PM · Feb 21, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Sorry but I think the press knows as much about the internal relationship of the family as I know about nuclear physics. I know its out there and I think I know basically what kind of a science it is but I have *no* clue how it works. :D

I agree, and there is an extra element in that often the Press has its own axe to grind. I have no doubt that Harry and the other members of the family love each other but at the moment some feelings need time to settle down and heal. That will not be helped by the Press stoking the fires, emphasising every supposed difference and not letting the subject go.

I never take it seriously when reporters claim to know the private feelings of royals. Like anyone close enough to either William or Harry would speak about personal emotional struggles or not.

The reporters taking massive poetic license as they always do, to get a story.

Relationships change with time. Harry and William aren't the only siblings to live in different countries. Now that they are both happy and moving on in a healthy direction in life, hopefully they can continue being close.

The good thing about adults, you don't have to live next door or even in the same country, to be close.

Harry is no longer the loner bachelor who has to tag along with the Cambridges.

I never take it seriously when reporters claim to know the private feelings of royals. Like anyone close enough to either William or Harry would speak about personal emotional struggles or not.

The reporters taking massive poetic license as they always do, to get a story.

Relationships change with time. Harry and William aren't the only siblings to live in different countries. Now that they are both happy and moving on in a healthy direction in life, hopefully they can continue being close.

The good thing about adults, you don't have to live next door or even in the same country, to be close.

Harry is no longer the loner bachelor who has to tag along with the Cambridges.

I dont think they'll be that close for a long time. I think that Will and Kate's tension a year ago shows how there was a real division between the 2 of them and Harry/Meghan. And the Sussexes have shown that they have moved on and no longer want to be back in the UK.. leaving Will with the major burden of taking on royal work with his grandparents now getting very old.. Then there was the Remembrance Sunday thing....
I dont see Will getting over that all that soon...

I read those articles a couple of days ago....nothing really new. I expect Harry will continue to upset certain people (not just William) with his thoughtless comments, but overall reporting has him on better terms with his family, so...

I dont think they'll be that close for a long time. I think that Will and Kate's tension a year ago shows how there was a real division between the 2 of them and Harry/Meghan. And the Sussexes have shown that they have moved on and no longer want to be back in the UK.. leaving Will with the major burden of taking on royal work with his grandparents now getting very old.. Then there was the Remembrance Sunday thing....
I dont see Will getting over that all that soon...

Id say like with most relationships there is “getting over all that” on both sides. If you are using tabloids as the basis of how they feel or behave then you must also accept that William is not a shrinking violet when it comes to expressing himself. My guess is there has been things said/done they both regret.

LaRae

Id say like with most relationships there is “getting over all that” on both sides. If you are using tabloids as the basis of how they feel or behave then you must also accept that William is not a shrinking violet when it comes to expressing himself. My guess is there has been things said/done they both regret.

LaRae

I think that William clearly coudl not hide his feelings of unhappiness and anger a year ago, tho' by rights he should have.. and the general behavior of H and Meg over teh past year seems to me to show Meg as much happier to be hom in America... so I doubt if she and H are "over" THEIR unhappy feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom