Queen Silvia's 70th Birthday: December 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingen

Serene Highness
City
Kristianstad
Country
Sweden
I know it's still some time to go until Queen Silvia's birthday, and we have not yet got any information about any eventually celebrations. Therefore i thought that we could discuss suggestions and musings about the celebrations and maybe how the Queen has celebrated her round birthdays before.

Svensk Damtidning claimed to know many months ago that the queen will celebrate with a black tie event.

Thanks LadyFinn. I have totally missed that information. Did the article say anything more about the celebrations?

I am so excited!!! :) Black tie event and hopefully some S and CG cuteness!!! :)

Thanks LadyFinn. I have totally missed that information. Did the article say anything more about the celebrations?

But that was just what Svensk Damtidning wrote. We don't know where they got the information or did they just guessed that it would be a black tie event.

Wow I can't believe she's already turning 70!

But that was just what Svensk Damtidning wrote. We don't know where they got the information or did they just guessed that it would be a black tie event.

Yes it is not the most reliable source and that it is just a black tie event doesn't say much. Does that mean that it is a concert or a dinner. I guess we have to wait and see

And then the big question: will or wont Sofia attend ;):whistling::D

Hihi, good question:
- if there is an announcement until Dec 23th, then yes :D.
- if there is no annoucement, then the chances are still high, as I do assume, that the Queen´s birthday will be labelled "private" (as she is not the head of state, but the consort), so Sofia may get an invitation, whereas not sitting on the main table with the RF.

Bye Bine

And then the big question: will or wont Sofia attend ;):whistling::D

Daniel, Emma and Jonas weren't allowed to attend at Queen's 60th birthday, because they weren't members of the family (Carl Philip and Emma had dated 4 years, Victoria and Daniel 2 years and Madeleine and Jonas over a year). The royal family celebrated the birthday both in Jukkasjärvi and Stockholm with the extended family.

Daniel, Emma and Jonas weren't allowed to attend at Queen's 60th birthday, because they weren't members of the family (Carl Philip and Emma had dated 4 years, Victoria and Daniel 2 years and Madeleine and Jonas over a year). The royal family celebrated the birthday both in Jukkasjärvi and Stockholm with the extended family.

Be that as it may, she appears to be accepted by the RF as CP's consort, so I suspect she will be there.

In November, a month before the Queen's 70th birthday, a book "Drottning Silvia - en jubileumsbok" ("Queen Silvia - a Jubilee book") is published. It is written by Roger Lundgren, the chief editor of Kungliga magasinet (The Royal Magazine).

Professional woman, mother, grandmother - and queen. In a new book Queen Silvia tells candidly about her life - and her great sorrow.
- It was important for her to go to the bottom of the allegations against her father, says Lundgren.
The book is divided into 3 parts: one where the queen talks about her life, one in which people around her speak, and a section that summarizes the Jubilee Year 2013. The Queen tells about grief after Princess Lilian, talks about the media coverage, and especially about the analysis that focused on whether her dead father Walther Sommerlath was a member of the German Nazi party or not. When the question arose Silvia ordered her own investigation to get answers.
- She's been very openhearted. It was important for her to go to the bottom of all these charges. "I've done what any child would do for their parents, and that is to stand up for them when they can not defend themselves", says Lundgren.
Silvia tells also about the joys - like family and the first grandchild.
- There is a tremendous love she feels for Estelle, she tells small amusing anecdotes about how Estelle is as a person.
And of course on the upcoming grandchild, when Madeleine and Chris are expecting a baby.
- She thinks it's great. She wants to have many grandchildren. She calls them life's dessert.
Much of the book is also devoted to the queen's job in the World Childhood Foundation. There are also personal stories from the King, Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine.
Lundgren has worked on the book for six months and made ​​several interviews with the queen.
’Jag har gjort det alla barn skulle göra’ Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
That sounds fantastic but of course I won't be able to read it (unless someone knows a way to get it in the US). Will someone let me know the high points when it comes out?!?

In November, a month before the Queen's 70th birthday, a book "Drottning Silvia - en jubileumsbok" ("Queen Silvia - a Jubilee book") is published. It is written by Roger Lundgren, the chief editor of Kungliga magasinet (The Royal Magazine).

Professional woman, mother, grandmother - and queen. In a new book Queen Silvia tells candidly about her life - and her great sorrow.
- It was important for her to go to the bottom of the allegations against her father, says Lundgren.
The book is divided into 3 parts: one where the queen talks about her life, one in which people around her speak, and a section that summarizes the Jubilee Year 2013. The Queen tells about grief after Princess Lilian, talks about the media coverage, and especially about the analysis that focused on whether her dead father Walther Sommerlath was a member of the German Nazi party or not. When the question arose Silvia ordered her own investigation to get answers.
- She's been very openhearted. It was important for her to go to the bottom of all these charges. "I've done what any child would do for their parents, and that is to stand up for them when they can not defend themselves", says Lundgren.
Silvia tells also about the joys - like family and the first grandchild.
- There is a tremendous love she feels for Estelle, she tells small amusing anecdotes about how Estelle is as a person.
And of course on the upcoming grandchild, when Madeleine and Chris are expecting a baby.
- She thinks it's great. She wants to have many grandchildren. She calls them life's dessert.
Much of the book is also devoted to the queen's job in the World Childhood Foundation. There are also personal stories from the King, Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine.
Lundgren has worked on the book for six months and made ​​several interviews with the queen.
’Jag har gjort det alla barn skulle göra’ Nyheter Aftonbladet

:previous:
wow sound like a amazing book. i would like to have a chance and read this book but if they decide to publish on english too.

finger crossed :)

:previous: wow sound like a amazing book. i would like to have a chance and read this book but if they decide to publish on english too. finger crossed :)

Even if they didn't come out with it in English I wouldn't mind attempting to translate it with my poor poor swedish... I would love to be able to look at it with my hands and eyes rather than looking at the cover on the computer screen

Have there been any more updates, official or unofficial, of what the celebrations might entail?

ui ui ui, not the best pic...... great symmetry of colours, but she is looking soooo serious, what a pity!
Bye Bine
Have to agree, not the best of pictures. She seems some how, alone/frustrated/unhappy in this picture.

The First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke has taken the initiative to organize an anniversary show for her boss. Along with Olof Stenhammar, she contacted theater director and producer Vicky von der Lancken to ask her to produce the show which is called "An Evening for our Queen."
On 19 December, the Queen and the rest of the family occupy the seats of honor at the Oscar Theatre, Lill Lindfors will guide them through the evening. Other artists involved are Tomas Ledin, Lena Phillips, Peter Jöback, Karl Dyall, Hanna Lindblad, Rennie Mirro, Simone Moreno, John Lundvik and Poplabbet, and children and adolescents from BASE 23 and Lilla Akademien
The show will be televised on December 23. The entire surplus from ticket sales will go to Queen Silvia's foundation Care About the Children, a newly established foundation for the vulnerable children in the world.
Så firas drottning Silvia på födelsedagen Hovbloggen¨

The website of the Foundation
HM Drottning Silvias Stiftelse - Care About The Children
The following directors of the business are behind the initiative as promoters:
Claes Dahlbäck, Elisabeth and Gustaf Douglas, Lisbeth and Bertil Hult, Leif Johansson, Ingvar Kamprad, Fredrik Lundberg, Sverker Martin-Löf, Stefan Persson, Melker Schörling, Saara and Björn Wahlroos, Jacob Wallenberg, Marcus Wallenberg and Peter Wallenberg
The members of the Board of the Foundation are Olof Stenhammar (Chairman), Contractor / Kirstine von Blixen Finecke, First Lady of the Court / Mats Dellham, Management consult / Jan Lindman, Keeper of the Privy Purse of the court / Carl-Gustaf Piehl, Director

Last edited:
Aftonbladet writes about Roger Lundgren's book "Drottning Silvia - en jubileumsbok"
The queen lives in a life in the public eye and where the queen goes she meets the cameras.
- You never get used to when being photographed, it is a very special situation, especially nowadays, when people have camera in their phone. When the king and I were on the county visits, we were greeted daily by a sea of ​​mobile phones that were against us. It looks very odd, the Queen says in the book.
For Roger Lundgren the Queen has also talked about her private life.
- We also wanted to try to illustrate how her day looks, the royal family does not have much free time, most of their evenings are fully booked with dinners and gatherings. And for them it is important to take time off when they are off duty, says Roger Lundgren.
The Queen tells that she relaxes in Drottningholm, she likes to exercise, she swims, walks and cycles in Drottningholm Park. But even reading, gardening and - Princess Estelle - are things she likes to spend her spare time.
- I really like being with my family, my siblings and my friends. But even the Christian faith has always meant a lot to me. From that I find the strength and support, says Queen Silvia in the book.
A hobby which the Queen shares with her husband the King is to visit flea markets during the summer. There, the royal couple found items into boxes at flea markets in Öland and elsewhere in Sweden.
- It is really fun, and we have done many fun finds over the years. Among other things, we bought a clock that goes backwards, that we have at Kaffeetorpet in Solliden. That makes the visitor very confused.
Silvia Jag kopplar av med loppis Nyheter Aftonbladet

From the book, people telling about the Queen

King Carl XVI Gustaf:
- I am very proud of the Queen. She has done, and does, great efforts for Sweden, but she is also an important voice in the world on the issues she is passionate about. She has an incredible motivation , broad knowledge and a deep commitment, that impresses many people.
Queen Rania of Jordan:
- The Queen is a role model to many by showing how one can channel passion into action, and with respect, intelligence and judgment, her work on the global stage has created safety and dignity for so many of the world's most vulnerable people.
Princess Benedikte of Denmark:
- She is not only photogenic pretty, she has a very big heart, sees her fellow person straight in the eye and is good at reading people and situations. Even for King Carl Gustaf the queen is hugely important. She is his great support in life, and I know that he was very happy and grateful at the way the Swedish people embraced his young brid .
Alice Trolle Wachtmeister, Countess and Mistress of the Robes:
- The Queen is extremely strong. When we've been on a visit and met people who suffer in different ways, I have repeatedly been forced to leave the room because it has become too hard for me. But the Queen will always remain. She has a very nice gift in being able to support their fellow human beings, yes, to see other people.
Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, former director of the press department at court:
- She is intelligent and has a strong charisma and charm and knows how to "coax" with possibly reluctant people. Her commitment for charities isgenuine, not superficial, and she really wants to use her position to do good.
Carl-Henric Svanberg, chairman of British petroleum and Volvo:
- After more than forty years of traveling around the world, in a professional capacity as well as privately, I can only conclude that few, if any, represents her country as well as our queen. Sweden has a strong brand in the world, and the Queen has a big part in this.
”Drottning Silvia stöttade i sorgen” Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom