Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats a wonderful collection of picturtes, well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture number one is of a three piece pearl stomacher which we haven't seen since Queen Mary, which makes one wonder if it has been broken up and used to make something else. Or if it passed out of the family and was sold. Just goes to show the jewel vaults might contain many magnificent pieces of old fashioned styles that we would love to see again. The second pic of Qu Mary's emerald stomacher for instance we haven't seen in a long time either.

Quite right, there really must be a vast collection of historic jewels that have not merged for a while. Some of this will be down to QEQM and QE2, both of whom were not really big users of jewellery, and some of it is just changing fashions and social norms. I hope Queen Camilla brings a few other goodies out.

With all due respect to the Queen and the late Queen Mother, NO ONE in my opinion could wear jewelry like Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra. It like the the theme was What else can I wear with this?

I realize it was a totally different time, and both Elizabeth's would have been raked over the coals for the ostentatious nature. But I love looking at photos of Mary and Alexandra with the overflow of jewlery.

Love the panel Bobby! Thats the best picture of the Teck Circlet Necklace as a tiara I've ever seen.

Thanks Bobby for the info about the stomacher. I guess when they say things like King George had so and so made from stones in his collection or from family stones they are talking about these pieces being broken up and being reused. Which is not an altogether bad thing as pieces go out of fashion.

With all due respect to the Queen and the late Queen Mother, NO ONE in my opinion could wear jewelry like Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra. It like the the theme was What else can I wear with this?

I realize it was a totally different time, and both Elizabeth's would have been raked over the coals for the ostentatious nature. But I love looking at photos of Mary and Alexandra with the overflow of jewlery.

I wholeheartedly agree Zonk. Alexandra and Mary both knew the meaning of bling.

The surely did. Mary especially did a lot of thing to create the splendid current collection . I ve noticed that many people keep on saying that no collection can be compared to that of BRF but let's not forget that if they hadn't Queen Mary who kept buying....and buying ..... and buying :D the British wouldn't be very different from the Swedish of the Dutch. But when I look at old photos of Alexandra and Mary I sometimes wonder if all these jewellery would look attractive nowadays. I mean sure it looked fine in Black and white photographs and perhaps at the soft candlelight and light in general they used then but would it look tastefull today in a state visit with electricity lights and the flash by the photographics machines ? I honestly doubt it .
Anyway back to the Queen Mother I sw the photograph of her wearing her four art deco bracelets as a bandeau tiara and I really wondere who she pulled it off. I thought that these bracelets were multicoloured right ?Didn't the colours clashed? A coloured photo would have been interesting

You're all welcome! It was a pleasure sharing it here.

Princejohnny25, here is the original photo of Queen Elizabeth with the Teck necklace/tiara - Photo and a rare photo of HM with the Strathmore Rose worn as tiara, rather than badeau - Photo

Bobby

A stomacher is a somewhat obsolete rather sizeable jewel composed of detachable elements and which was worn to best effect hanging over the bosom.
They are more Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary's style than the Queen Mother's.

Two pics to illustrate:

-> Queen Mary's Stomacher

-> Worn by EIIR in 2002

and two out of copyright photographs of a bedecked Queen Mary:

1. another stomacher
2. Cambridge or Indian emeralds stomacher
Thanks Warren,
Best effect worn over the bosom but was it was broken up for brooches on the Queen Mum as her brooches had that effect.?

Bobby; thank you for those great pictures of QEQM. I found this picture of her with a simple but stunning Pearl Sautoir. Wouldn't it be great to see this make a reappearance on one of her great-granddaughters? And with the Strathmore Tiara!

Attachments

• Pearl Sautoir.jpg
    Pearl Sautoir.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 828
Has QEQM ever worn the George IV State Diadem? It seems that QMary and QAlexandra before her did as did QEII and QV....

Has QEQM ever worn the George IV State Diadem? It seems that QMary and QAlexandra before her did as did QEII and QV....

I think The Queen Mother wore her circlet from the 1937 Consort Crown for State Openings of Parliament, rather than the George IV Diadem.

I wonder why she chose to wear her own circlet???
It seems both consort and regnant queens before her wore the GIV diadem.
Any idea why, I'm really curious.

It could be the Diadem remained with Queen Mary until her death in 1952. When Albert became King, Elizabeth and Mary looked at the crown collection together and she chose which pieces to use as Queen Consort. The George IV Diadem may not have been one of them.

Does anyone know the what the gorgeous brooch QEQM wore at Charles and Diana's wedding is called and where it came from? I have looked at those pictures so many times and only just now noticed how beautiful it is. (I am sorry, I would like to post a link to this picture, but I don't know how to post links here yet!:bang:) Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone has the time and/or inclination.:flowers: Thank you!

The Queen Mother wore Queen Victoris'a waterfall/tassel diamond brooch to Charles Wedding.
Worn also by Q Mother for famous black evening dress photo session at Buckingham Palace, and also to the Coronation.

IMG.jpg

It is a fine piece. Has the brooch been worn by the Queen since the death of the QM?

The Queen Mother wore Queen Victoris'a waterfall/tassel diamond brooch to Charles Wedding.
Thank you very much for sharing the information.:flowers: It is a beautiful piece, to say the least. I agree with other posts that it's a shame the Queen doesn't wear it. Since it is not something we are likely to see on Kate Cambridge for now, I guess yet another treasure will be sitting in the Royal Vaults for years.:bang:

what tiaras did she wear though the years?

In widowhood, she primarily only used the Greville Boucheron tiara (now used by Camilla) and the Oriental Circlet. As Queen, she used a few more (Fringe, Teck, Turquoise) but did not have a very wide selection as Queen Mary retained most of the tiaras for her own use in her lifetime.

Could the brooch The Queen Mother is wearing, be identified please?

IMG-39.jpg

My guess would be this brooch. I don't know what its called, but I recall the Queen dusting it off and wearing it recently.

Thankyou both for your replies.

The brooch was actually Queen Victoria's and was 1 of 2 left to The Crown.
RJWMB call it Q. Vic diamond shaped brooch with 3 pearl drops.

Back
Top Bottom