Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the speech when she opens the parliement - I know that the one the Canadian General Governor does certainly is quite boring... n

The ceremony of opening of parliament is fabulous and the speech actually outlines the government business. It is the one event that actually has a real purpose and has history and tradition. It is the least boring to me as it is the only time when we see the Queen as part of the political process.

According to The Telegraph, HM was using the analogy of King James uniting different factions of the Christian church through a revised translation of the Bible and comparing go what unites the UK in the 21st century.
I hope it's The Royal Family and a wedding that unifies us all in 2011...

Oh, I do wish the royal ladies would not wear fur.

Why?
If the animals fur isn't used, then it's just going to be wasted, is it not?

This is not the place for this discussion but NO - dress furs are from animals killed specifically for their pelts and not for any other purpose.:nonono:
Fur should not be worn as a fashion item - ever. :sick::sad:
It's pure murder-for-vanity.:ohmy:

Why?
If the animals fur isn't used, then it's just going to be wasted, is it not?

No - as the animal wouldn't have been killed in the first place. The animal is killed purely for its fur and often skinned alive - yes alive - to get the fur to make these coats etc.

Let's get back on topic.

TRF is not the place to have a pro and con debate on furs.

Future posts will be deleted.

:previous: Well, apparently UKroyalist has a different opinion than you. Perhaps you are both right?

Well it is christmas time, so I shall conceed to a draw. ;)

:previous:
Sigh. If you read the quote that YOU first posted at #214 you would see that it states "a wedding that unifies us all in 2011", not as you have once again managed to confuse the issue with "words coming out of the Queen's mouth."

Obviously, there is an expectation or at least a hope, that the full panoply of a royal wedding will bring people together in a sense of shared interest, communal good feeling and even maybe celebration. That common focus and upbeat mood is what "a wedding that unifies us all" refers to. It worked in 1947, it worked in 1981 and it may work once again in 2011. The wedding is unlikely to have a long-term effect on national morale but a temporary period of public feel-good enthusiasm - if it occurs - is no bad thing.

It's an observation that elements of British society and media will use the Royal wedding as a focus for questioning the Royal family rather than celebrating it.

I just hope it can be a focus for bringing people together.

I agree with Warren. "It" worked in 1947 (so I'm told), as well as for C&D's wedding.

I'm hoping that there will be a re-introduction of the "street party" at HM's Silver Jubilee.

The only big event that went down like a bit of a "lead balloon" was Charles' Investiture at Caernarfon.

:previous: Yay, Liz.............Jones, not Windsor.

I thought she looked wonderful .

I will take them seriously when they don't wear leather shoes or belts or use anything that is made from animals. That being said, BULLY for Her Majesty!

not just leather, but all those objecting to fur musyt become vegetarian as well! imo, this is justy duplicitous.

This is just absurd! Everyone is allowed their own opinions on the matter but the point is Her Majesty has always worn fur and I will venture to guess always will wear fur when the mood strikes her. I doubt she will pop up in any endangered polar bear pelts... if she does then you all will have a reason to be righteously indignant about it! Till then... she looked beautiful in that hat.

Pop round to almost any Oxfam and you will find fur coats, hats and other apparel from by gone days that go a long way toward keeping the icy winds at bay. HM may have had some old pieces converted into hats, muffs, cuffs, collars and such because fur is resillient and if stored correctly, wears forever, thus is great for recycling.

Which makes me wonder the origin of the ermine coronation robes, maybe centuries old.

As a footnote, for the most part I see William's wedding as a great uniter and a celebration of undiluted hope for the future.:D

I agree with the Royals wearing fur when necessary in winter. Women in general have been wearing furs for centuries, nay, millennia, and so have their men (cavemen?).

In the case of the royals, furs are a kind of uniform on (semi)official occasions.

IMO, it's just something for "some" people to take the opportunity to grouch about the RF. I also agree that those who make a big deal out of it, ARE, hopefully Vegan and let no part of the animal kingdom touch them and certainly do not ingest them. My bet is, some of the biggest howlers are the biggest meat eaters, but then, I could be wrong. :)

Pop round to almost any Oxfam and you will find fur coats, hats and other apparel from by gone days that go a long way toward keeping the icy winds at bay. HM may have had some old pieces converted into hats, muffs, cuffs, collars and such because fur is resillient and if stored correctly, wears forever, thus is great for recycling.

Good point. Recycled is very likely. Its a touchy subject but fur is the coziest of insulators against the cold - and with the way the weather is colding up now - well, I can see using the old fur already around. Only makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. Recycled is very likely. Its a touchy subject but fur is the coziest of insulators against the cold - and with the way the weather is colding up now - well, I can see using the old fur already around. Only makes sense.

It's a perceptual thing, though.
In the Queen's position, it's probably best not to wear fur.

Just because many people will object to it.
So why do it? It will only make for negative PR.
Much better not to go there.

Let's hope the Queen does not overwork, what with the wedding, Philip's birthday, and other events. Slow down Lilibet - we still need you !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom