Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 10: April-July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I see a photo of the queen looking at her husband I see a look of love and adoration in her eyes (the same thing I see when I see my mother look at my father).

I also see love in Philip's eyes when he looks at the queen (again as I do when I see my father look at my mother).

My parents are a few years younger than the queen and philip and have been married for 54 years so I am basing the looks on see between the queen and Philip on the looks passing between two people who have also been married for a long time.

BeatrixFan said:
Hmmm. I'm not calling you a liar but there was a huge fuss over it a few years ago in Britain and when Bucking Palace were asked, they said that it was not because the Queen didn't want to touch people, it was a personal decision that the Queen had been brought up to wear hats and gloves and like many women of her generation, still prefers to do so. And if you look at the Queen Mother, Princess Alice etc they all wore gloves because they were of a generation that just did. My grandmother is 3 years younger than the Queen and always wears a hat and gloves when she goes out. It's a fashion thing and the Queen's style is the Queen's style.

State Banquets are the same and again it's personal choice. Princess Alexandra has worn long white gloves at some banquets but not at others. The Queen has worn gloves at banquets and not at others.
Anyway,The Queen belongs to the upper class (upper bracket) or high class community in the English social hierarchy or simply known as the aristocratic community.So there is nothing to be surprised of if The Queen wears gloves in order not touch commoners directly.

Last edited:
Would that that were the case. I'm afraid that attitude is now gone and people wouldn't stomach the idea of a Queen that wouldn't dare touch commoners, indeed, thats why they raised the question in the national press and were assured that it was personal fashion only.

I always assumed it was a health issue after the fashion issue became irrelevant. Can you imagine a woman of 80 shaking hands for hours with hundreds of people and especially children- Her immune system couldn't handle that. I also think if you look at the functions to which she does wear gloves you'd see that it is appropriate given the crowd and grandness of the function. If she doesn't I'm sure it is because it just wouldn't "fly".

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II greeted the Latvian President, Mrs Vaira Vike-Freiberga, together with her husband, Mr Imants Freibergs, at Buckingham Palace, in central London, 13 July 2006.
From Getty Images.

Attachments

• 12sd.jpg
    12sd.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Well, we recently discussed this on a forum about the Pope who seems to have very blotchy red palms since becoming Pope and apparantly, it's due to having to disinfect his hands before and after he meets large crowds. The Queen might wear them for health issues but then again, she's always worn them and we expect her to. It's like the fashion experts who say she wears hideously bright colours - it's like her uniform and it's what people look out for. We recognise that the Queen will wear a bright outfit, a hat, gloves and pearls.

I'm glad to see Vaira Vike-Freiberga in London. I'm quite a fan of hers and I wonder if the Queen will be making a visit to Latvia soon.

BeatrixFan said:
I'm glad to see Vaira Vike-Freiberga in London. I'm quite a fan of hers and I wonder if the Queen will be making a visit to Latvia soon.
The Queen and Prince Philip will pay a State Visit to 3 Baltic States from 16th to 20th this October, Sam.

Ah righty! I missed that. Thanks HMQueenElizabethII. I can't wait to see the photographs from that visit. And hopefully, President Vike-Freiberga will make a return visit next year.

chrissy57 said:
Whenever I see a photo of the queen looking at her husband I see a look of love and adoration in her eyes (the same thing I see when I see my mother look at my father).

I also see love in Philip's eyes when he looks at the queen (again as I do when I see my father look at my mother).

My parents are a few years younger than the queen and philip and have been married for 54 years so I am basing the looks on see between the queen and Philip on the looks passing between two people who have also been married for a long time.

Chrissy, that was lovely. Thank you for saying it, and I agree. I think there is great love between them that continues to this day.

She always looks so proud of him when he does something well, and he of her.

Queen Elizabeth II expresses 'deep shock' at India terror attacks

Queen Elizabeth II Thursday expressed her "deep shock" at the terror attacks in Mumbai and conveyed her "sympathy and admiration" for those "coping with consequences" of the deadly bomb blasts in India.
http://www.newkerala.com/news3.php?action=fullnews&id=22459

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II greeted Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper at Buckingham Palace in central London, Friday July 14, 2006.
From Polfoto.

Attachments

• 12ws.jpg
    12ws.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 12ws1.jpg
    12ws1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 164
Today the Queen visited HMS Albion on the occasion of the 250th anniversary of The Marine Society and Sea Cadets in Greenwich, London.

I love this blue colour, and Her Majesty looks very elegant as always. Perfect matching little brooch and jewellery, it just falls natural for her somehow.

Pictures by Anwar Hussein Collection/Getty Images.

Attachments

• 71440746.jpg
    71440746.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 71440748.jpg
    71440748.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 127
  • 71440752.jpg
    71440752.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 71440754.jpg
    71440754.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 71440756.jpg
    71440756.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 71440758.jpg
    71440758.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 71440760.jpg
    71440760.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 191
Does anyone know which brooch that is Her Majesty is wearing. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

The Queen is wearing Queen Mary's Russian Broach. In The Queen's Jewels, Leslie Field writes that Queen Alexandra's sister, the Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia, gave Princess Mary of Teck (later Queen Mary) the broach as a wedding present in 1893. The Queen inherited the broach in 1953 after Queen Mary's death.

Thanks Adamari! It's certainly very Russian and it's a wonderful piece.

Queen Elizabeth looks very nice.The picture is gorgeous!

So every swan in the UK Is like her Pet?? neat :)

Queen Elizabeth II receives His Excellency The High Commissioner for the Solomon Islands Mr. Joseph Ma'ahanua at Buckingham Palace 18 July 18 2006.
from getty

Attachments

• 71470701.jpg
    71470701.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 71470697.jpg
    71470697.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 191
BeatrixFan said:

Yeah, I will order a subscibtion.
I was really amuzed by this article, sometimes I was under the impression they didn't follow any Royal news since that 2001. As long as I could see from various occassions were say Camilla/Anne or Camilla/Sophie or Prince Philip/Charles (etc) were, they were getting on pretty well.
Though maybe the next thing the Mirror will come up with will be the astonishing news that all Royals are made to undergo intense Actor Training.

ANNAN CATO AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE
PRESENTS CREDENTIALS TO QUEEN

Mr. Annan Arkyin Cato, Ghana's new High Commissioner to the United Kingdom has presented his credentials to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. High commissioner Cato,

http://www.accra-mail.com/mailnews.asp?id=17418

BeatrixFan said:
Would that that were the case. I'm afraid that attitude is now gone and people wouldn't stomach the idea of a Queen that wouldn't dare touch commoners, indeed, thats why they raised the question in the national press and were assured that it was personal fashion only.
The assurance made was just to "blind" Britons.

A BBC Proms concert was held to celebrate the Queens Birthday, 19th July 2006. during the concert the Queen presented The Queens medal for music to Welsh opera singer, Bryn Terfel - Abaca Press

The assurance made was just to "blind" Britons.

Hmmm. I think we're over-reacting a little there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom