Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The CPcss was bought what tiara? Her wedding tiara was an heirloom, the amethyst set was originally a gift from The King to The Queen.

ML indeed was bought a new one when she came of age, but not by Harald and Sonja, but by her late grandfather King Olav.

Yes, I am talking about The Diamond Daisy Bandeau Tiara, which is MM’s wedding tiara. It was bought for her from Garrard’s by the King and Queen. Hence it is her private property and not from the royal vault.

Regarding ML, it really doesn’t matter who bought it for her, it was still bought and given to her as her own property.

That is my point, it seems like it’s a tradition to gift the royal ladies an item of their own (not inherited) since IA will have many of those later on down the line. Her cousins can do anything they like with the tiara they inherited from Ragnhild but imo I thought it was odd since usually these pieces end up back in the family after the children pass.

The Historian Trond Noren Isaksen gave us in his Facebook page some more details about the Tiara:

"Upon Princess Ingeborg’s death the tiara passed directly to her granddaughter Princess Ragnhild - it never belonged to King Olav, as I have seen some claim.
While some of the more historic pieces of jewellery from Queen Maud and Crown Princess Märtha that were passed down to the Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid were really lifetime loans to be returned to the royal house after their deaths, this did not apply to the pearl and diamond tiara, as Princess Ragnhild had inherited it direct from her Swedish grandmother and it had never belonged to the Norwegian royal house. Contrary to what some have claimed it was therefore not «returned» to the King when Princess Ragnhild died in 2012, but remained with her family.

I see some have assumed that it was the King who gave Princess Ingrid Alexandra the tiara on her 18th birthday, having either «got it back» or bought it, but it was in fact Princess Ragnhild’s children, Haakon Lorentzen, Ingeborg Lorentzen Ribeiro and Ragnhild Lorentzen Long, who very generously presented the tiara to Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

I also see that some have assumed that the Princess will wear this tiara for her belated birthday dinner on 17 June, but that remains to be seen as this was not necessarily the only tiara she was given…"

The Historian Trond Noren Isaksen gave us in his Facebook page some more details about the Tiara:

"Upon Princess Ingeborg’s death the tiara passed directly to her granddaughter Princess Ragnhild - it never belonged to King Olav, as I have seen some claim.
While some of the more historic pieces of jewellery from Queen Maud and Crown Princess Märtha that were passed down to the Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid were really lifetime loans to be returned to the royal house after their deaths, this did not apply to the pearl and diamond tiara, as Princess Ragnhild had inherited it direct from her Swedish grandmother and it had never belonged to the Norwegian royal house. Contrary to what some have claimed it was therefore not «returned» to the King when Princess Ragnhild died in 2012, but remained with her family.

I see some have assumed that it was the King who gave Princess Ingrid Alexandra the tiara on her 18th birthday, having either «got it back» or bought it, but it was in fact Princess Ragnhild’s children, Haakon Lorentzen, Ingeborg Lorentzen Ribeiro and Ragnhild Lorentzen Long, who very generously presented the tiara to Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

I also see that some have assumed that the Princess will wear this tiara for her belated birthday dinner on 17 June, but that remains to be seen as this was not necessarily the only tiara she was given…"

So it sounds like IA did receive another tiara for her 18th birthday. I hope it’s a piece bought or made especially for her. I love the tiaras in the royal collection but they need to spruce it up a bit. They wear the same pieces over and over and it’s getting too repetitive. I know, I know, they don’t want to seem extravagant or out of touch by buying new pieces, but on this case, with a Princess coming of age, I think it’s appropriate.

So it sounds like IA did receive another tiara for her 18th birthday. I hope it’s a piece bought or made especially for her. I love the tiaras in the royal collection but they need to spruce it up a bit. They wear the same pieces over and over and it’s getting too repetitive. I know, I know, they don’t want to seem extravagant or out of touch by buying new pieces, but on this case, with a Princess coming of age, I think it’s appropriate.

It would be suprising if IA got not one, but two tiaras for her 18th birthday, especially considering that she is still only the heir to the heir apparent, but is strangely celebrated almost as if she were a Crown Princess already.

Last edited:
All young women should have their own jewelry they fell in love with and picked out Or had made to their specifications if they have the means like IA does. She really does not seem the type to be extravagant or flaunt her privilege so I would hope the People of Norway would be understanding.

Depends on how you see it, it's not that the King purchases two tiaras for her. (Maybe) She gets a new tiara from her grandpa, just like her aunt (who even isn't heiress at all), and the circle pearl is technically a personal gift from another family relatives. And purchasing new tiaras or jewels isn't a rare thing in NRF I guess?

Year's ago there have been reports that the NRF purchased the pink tourmaline tiara from Countess Estelle's heirs. Some time later, a Swedish tabloid claimed that the tiara was purchased by the Swedish RF, but imo, the sources claiming that it went to Norway are way more reliable.

In the case that the tourmaline parure was meant for Ingrid Alexandra, she might now have two tiaras. But I can't imagine that it was ever planned that she'd be given two tiaras for her 18th BD. It's just that back at the time the tourmalines were bought no one could foresee that Princess Ragnhild's would have passed on by the time of IA's 18th BD, and that her children would decide to give the Boucheron tiara as a present.

Personally, I don't see the Norwegian royals commissioning any newly made tiaras in this situation. Years ago they were a bit tight on tiaras, so Queen Sonja got the modern gold tiara, the amethyst parure was made, ML's tiara and one for MM was bought. But now the outlook is different, because Princess Ragnhild's diamond tiara has returned, the Boucheron pearl tiara has been given. Princess Astrid's royal jewels are also destined to return the main line. By the time that Ingrid Alexandra becomes CP, there will an ample pool of tiaras for the Queen and CP.

Year's ago there have been reports that the NRF purchased the pink tourmaline tiara from Countess Estelle's heirs. Some time later, a Swedish tabloid claimed that the tiara was purchased by the Swedish RF, but imo, the sources claiming that it went to Norway are way more reliable.

In the case that the tourmaline parure was meant for Ingrid Alexandra, she might now have two tiaras. But I can't imagine that it was ever planned that she'd be given two tiaras for her 18th BD. It's just that back at the time the tourmalines were bought no one could foresee that Princess Ragnhild's would have passed on by the time of IA's 18th BD, and that her children would decide to give the Boucheron tiara as a present.

Personally, I don't see the Norwegian royals commissioning any newly made tiaras in this situation. Years ago they were a bit tight on tiaras, so Queen Sonja got the modern gold tiara, the amethyst parure was made, ML's tiara and one for MM was bought. But now the outlook is different, because Princess Ragnhild's diamond tiara has returned, the Boucheron pearl tiara has been given. Princess Astrid's royal jewels are also destined to return the main line. By the time that Ingrid Alexandra becomes CP, there will an ample pool of tiaras for the Queen and CP.

Yes, they actually have a surplus of tiaras for such a relatively small Royal Family. And, unlike in Denmark for example, most Norwegian royal tiaras are high grade, with several big guns.

Years ago they were a bit tight on tiaras, so Queen Sonja got the modern gold tiara, the amethyst parure was made, ML's tiara and one for MM was bought. But now the outlook is different, because Princess Ragnhild's diamond tiara has returned, the Boucheron pearl tiara has been given. Princess Astrid's royal jewels are also destined to return the main line. By the time that Ingrid Alexandra becomes CP, there will an ample pool of tiaras for the Queen and CP.

I thi that was also the reason why new or new acquired tiaras have been given to Märtha Louise and Mette-Marit. Nowadays they have a wider selection with one tiara from Princess Ragnhild back in the main line and her other one gifted to Ingrid Alexandra.

gets a new tiara from her grandpa, just like her aunt (who even isn't heiress at all), a

My guess is that that was exactly the reason why ML got her own tiara from her grandfather and to that i think there was also no other unused tiara available as most were used by her mother and aunts and the norwegian royal ladies don't share their tiaras as they do in Sweden or in NL.

Last edited by a moderator:

It will be interesting to see if the Pink tourmalines will reappear soon in the NRF. The sources of this was the Bernadotte af Wisborg family who sold it to the NRF. Never seen a coloured photo of the tiara or a good photo, it is hard for me to think if this could be too big as a starter tiara. Maybe they will transfer the Daisy Bandeau to Ingrid and upgrade the Crown Princess with the pink tourmalines.

In Aftonbladet in February 2012:
Estelle Bernadotte's diadem is back
According to the sources of the Norwegian royal house expert Kjell Arne Totland, it has now been bought again by a person in the Swedish royal family. Exactly where the sale should have taken place is shrouded in obscurity.
- I guess it might be King Carl XVI Gustaf. If so, he did it because he wanted the tiara to return to the family.
He continues:
- Now the tiara is back in the main branch of the Swedish royal family and I am convinced that one day it will adorn Princess Estelle.
Estelle Bernadottes diadem är tillbaka

And Kjell Arne Totland said to Aftonbladet's Jenny Alexandersson who kept "Hovbloggen"
This is what Kjell Arne Totland says to Hovbloggen:
- I know from well-informed sources that Countess Estelle Bernadotte's descendants have sold her famous diamond tiara to "a member of the Swedish royal family". The tiara was a legacy after Swedish Queen Sophia who wore it when she was also crowned Queen of Norway in Trondheim in 1873. Now the tiara is back in the main line of the Swedish royal family - and I am convinced that one day it will adorn Crown Princess Victoria newborn daughter Estelle of Sweden.
Prinsessan Estelles finaste födelsegåva_ uppdaterad! - Hovbloggen

According to the sources of the Norwegian royal house expert Kjell Arne Totland, it has now been bought again by a person in the Swedish royal family. Exactly where the sale should have taken place is shrouded in obscurity.
- I guess it might be King Carl XVI Gustaf. If so, he did it because he wanted the tiara to return to the family.
He continues:
- Now the tiara is back in the main branch of the Swedish royal family and I am convinced that one day it will adorn Princess Estelle.

And Kjell Arne Totland said to Aftonbladet's Jenny Alexandersson who kept "Hovbloggen"
- I know from well-informed sources that Countess Estelle Bernadotte's descendants have sold her famous diamond tiara to "a member of the Swedish royal family". The tiara was a legacy after Swedish Queen Sophia who wore it when she was also crowned Queen of Norway in Trondheim in 1873. Now the tiara is back in the main line of the Swedish royal family - and I am convinced that one day it will adorn Crown Princess Victoria newborn daughter Estelle of Sweden.

The tiara looks stunning. It would be nice if the Swedish royals purchased a fine emerald tiara too as it's the only kind of tiara they don't have.

It will be interesting to see if the Pink tourmalines will reappear soon in the NRF. The sources of this was the Bernadotte af Wisborg family who sold it to the NRF. Never seen a coloured photo of the tiara or a good photo, it is hard for me to think if this could be too big as a starter tiara. Maybe they will transfer the Daisy Bandeau to Ingrid and upgrade the Crown Princess with the pink tourmalines.
I agree, the tourmaline tiara might be a bit big for a starter, so I think that IA will start out with the Boucheron pearl tiara. That one isn't exactly tiny either, but I really can't imagine that CP Mette-Marit is going to give up her favorite tiara for good. And after having had really bad problems with her back and neck before, she probably isn't keen on wearing the big and heavy tiaras. And if she were to wear the tourmaline tiara, why wait so long? She could have worn it long before.

He continues:

Here is a quote from Trond Norén Isaksen's blog post from 2012: Trond Norén Isaksen: Royal jewels: Queen Sophia’s alleged coronation tiara (Estelle Bernadotte’s tiara)

Recently I mentioned this information to Kjell Arne Totland, former royal reporter for the weekly magazine Se og Hør, but when interviewed by the Norwegian TV channel TV2 Nyhetskanalen following the birth of Princess Estelle he stated that the parure had been bought by the main line of the Swedish royal family. I do not know what were his sources for this, but it cannot have been me, as I clearly said the Norwegian, not the Swedish royal family.
To me, Kjell Arne Totland, who had the info from Countess Christine Bernadotte, is a rather reliable source. And all too often the gossip press would have twisted the truth in a way to make a better headline. Only time can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a quote from Trond Norén Isaksen's blog post from 2012: Trond Norén Isaksen: Royal jewels: Queen Sophia’s alleged coronation tiara (Estelle Bernadotte’s tiara)

To me, Kjell Arne Totland, who had the info from Countess Christine Bernadotte, is a rather reliable source. And all too often the gossip press would have twisted the truth in a way to make a better headline. Only time can tell.

Wow, they bought the whole parure? That is a magnificent suite of jewels and must have cost a fortune.

Wonderful to see the tiara back in the main line and a lovely gesture by her late great aunt.

It's a good tiara for modern times, and for a young girl. It got lost in the hair of Princess Ragnhild, so it is great to see it more prominently. Plus, it is kind of cool that it was bought in 1900 by Prince Carl, when he was Prince of Sweden and Norway.

I'm kind of surprised that Haakon, Ingeborg and Ragnhild Alexandra would gift her the tiara, instead of putting it up for auction if they don't have any use for it. But they probably have more than enough money, and Princess Ragnhild was quite devoted to the notion of royalty, family and history... surprisingly, she didn't just will it directly to Ingrid Alexandra in a will, but that it had to go through her children.

htttps://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=212476&sek=26939

Nice that the court shared the story of the tiara and spoke to Pss Astrid. The tiara looks great, cleaned and due to its airiness it neither overwhelms the princess, nor will it outshine those of her mother or grandmother. The sleek air of the princess enables us to appreciate the delicate design even more.

I understand why she wore it tilted down a bit, the open parts need something behind it. Wonderful that it came back to the main line.

Last edited:
I think she wears it well and I an almost supprised how big it is. When Princess Ragnhild wore it you could hardly see three circkles because she was putting her hair around it.

Its indeed very rare jewels are comming back to the main line like this. It shows great sense of history on the part of the Lorentzen family (and alot of cash:ROFLMAO:) but a great memory for their mother to see it on the future Queen. I guess it will be her signature tiara for many years to come.

Wonderful! The tiara looks great on her. It’s a perfect tiara for a young princess. I completely agree that it almost got lost in Princess Rahnhild‘s hair. It’s an amazing piece of jewelry. ?

Simple and wonderful tiara, fit to a young Princess.

I don't really like it when Ragnhild wore it. And Ingrid makes it shine! It's literally like a halo.

Last edited:
Is Ingrid's giant pearl ring meant to be part of a set with the tiara, or just a coincidence?

This is a beautiful tiara on her.

I have just read that pearls, which were later added to the tiara belonged to Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna younger and that she sold them to Prince Carl in 1920ties...

I have just read that pearls, which were later added to the tiara belonged to Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna younger and that she sold them to Prince Carl in 1920ties...
Yes, it's believed that is the case. Maria Pavlovna had been married to the nephew of Prince Carl and maintained a friendly relationship with Carl and his wife Ingeborg after her divorce. When she had to sell her jewels to survive after the revolution they were among those relatives that helped her out. Another was Queen Marie of Romania.

The diadem could have been a bit less spacious in design, and halved pearls, hmmm big round dangling pearls would have upgraded it, but I am happy that Princess Ingrid Alexandra has an own diadem.

Back
Top Bottom