Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 6: April 2010-October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While i think it may be odd for Eugenie to be moving to KP; I think this is part of larger plan to free up some SJP space for business offices during a long overdue BP renovation. They had to wait til after HM 90th birthday celebrations and after summer to minimize the losses of tourist revenue. It makes sense to me that over the next few months, the business offices at BP will be relocating to St James and to Windsor.

I can see why Eugenie might want to move to Ivy Cottage, she might like her own place.

But as for freeing up space in SJP, what about Beatrice? Won't she still need that apartment that she shared with Eugenie?

One of the convenient things about living at SJP is that it's only a couple blocks away from Mahiki where Jack works. SJP is also a lot closer to Eugenie's work than KP would be. If the sisters decide they want to live apart it makes more sense for Beatrice to move.

Last edited:
Well if true, odd that there is no detail. Anyone know of anyone vacating a small KP flat in the last year or so? Know of any renovations going on in the past year?

It is not an apartment in the palace. It is a three bedroom cottage adjacent to Nottingham cottage where Prince Harry now lives. Both places are much smaller than Wren Cottage, which is the residence of the duke and duchess of Kent.

Last edited:
Sounds expensive! Who pays the rent, her father or does the Queen cover it?

Sounds expensive! Who pays the rent, her father or does the Queen cover it?

When the two princesses left university, the rent became market rate, which Andrew pays. This was reported at the time .. British tabloid reporters just don't do research. The rent is paid by Andrew - and it is market rate. It is actually a small apartment in SJP. Palace officials spent £250,000 renovating Princess Beatrice apartment - Telegraph

Prince Andrew to pay Beatrice and Eugenie’s £20k a year rent | UK | News | Daily Express

20K a year can't be market rent for a 4br apartment in central London. The express article even says that is not market rent.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It's a four bedroom apartment so it isn't that small.
Well the first article described the SJP apartment as 'a small set of attic rooms reached by 60 steps up a spiral staircase.' Not sure what the going rate would be for that type of unit, the other article stated that the lower rent was more than the previous tenant paid, but that the rate was based on what a servant would pay rather than market rate and that it was paid either by the DOY or the Queen and was a private matter.
Frankly, Eugenie didn't ask to be born Royal, yet because she was she is a bit of a target security wise thus living at KP would at least help w/ security for her.

Is Eugenie really a security target? Haven't Anne and Ed & Sophie lost their 24/7 protection? James and Louise probably don't have RPOs. Peter and Zara's families don't.

You don't see the RPOs in any of pap shots of either York sister like you do with Kate.

Andrew pays for private security for his daughters. They don't have RPOs anymore although I do remember reading that at least one of the RPOs they did have left the Metropolitan Police to take the job with one of the girls when they lost their government funded protection - after they finished university - as the pay was better.

All of The Queen's children have 24/7 protection. Sophie, the Gloucester's and Kent's have protection when they are on official duties.

Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte, Harry, Andrew, Edward and Anne all have 24/7.

When William takes his family away now it includes at least 12 protection officers so they can work 8 hour shifts with each one responsible for a particular royal.

Harry has additional protection as he is a higher profile target due to direct threats made against him due to his service in Afghanistan.

Given the level of protection around the higher profile royals I would suggest that someone could have a go at Beatrice or Eugenie, gain the publicity and notoriety and find them an easier target. They are still the grandchildren of The Queen and HRHs into the bargain.

If Andrew of Eugenie want to pay commercial rates of rent for an apartment in KP or SJP then thats a good deal for all as it gives them added protection of being in a secure palace and bringing in money for the upkeep of the palaces. IMO there is no reason Beatrice of Eugenie should get favourable deals on any such accommodation, sorry but if Peter and Zarah can make their own lives and find their own accommodation there is no reason Beatrice and Eugenie can't.

I was reading an article from around 2002 when the Public Accounts Committee was investigating the use of KP for the Kents, Gloucesters etc, much was made about Prince and Princess Michael of Kent not paying rent and it was said that in future only direct heirs (Charles and his family) would get accommodation at public expense so Eugenie shouldn't get it now. IMO saying paying the same as a servant would it 'market rate' is basically a lie, market rate it whatever the apartment rented out on the open market would cost.

In the palaces however 'market' rate is the rate at which those who live there and pay rent pay. Due to the security concerns the palace has to control who lives in these places so a true 'market rate' doesn't apply as not every person can apply to live there.

Some rent from one of the York girl's is better than no rent due to no one else being able to move in due to security. These aren't properties that can be rented on the open market.

IMO there is no reason Beatrice of Eugenie should get favourable deals on any such accommodation, sorry but if Peter and Zarah can make their own lives and find their own accommodation there is no reason Beatrice and Eugenie can't.

Don't Peter and Zara live on properties owned by Princess Anne?
(I think I heard something to that effect).

Anne's property is privately owned. Her decision on if there is rent or not.

Zara and Mike live at Gatcombe since 2013. As far as I know Peter is in London but I believe he has a cottage at Gatcomb as well.

I'm doubtful that Peter and family are living in London. Autumn gave an interview to Hello! in May 2015, the magazine asked her about raising her children in the countryside, and she responded -

"I love our quiet life. Our daughters and their cousin Mia are all outdoor girls and not afraid of a little dirt. They love riding their Shetland ponies with Mia in her little basket and Savannah and Isla on a lead reign.

Although Mia’s the youngest, she’s a tough little cookie. The other day, she pulled Isla backwards by her shirt. Isla looked at me indignantly, but Savannah and I were laughing so much that we had to look away."

I always thought that taking away their official protection was a bad idea. Between violent ideologues and psychotics, there's real danger of attack. Both princesses appear in the media and live fairly open lives.

Given the level of protection around the higher profile royals I would suggest that someone could have a go at Beatrice or Eugenie, gain the publicity and notoriety and find them an easier target. They are still the grandchildren of The Queen and HRHs into the bargain.

Zara and Mike live at Gatcombe since 2013. As far as I know Peter is in London but I believe he has a cottage at Gatcomb as well.

They also live on the Gatcombe estate.

I always thought that taking away their official protection was a bad idea. Between violent ideologues and psychotics, there's real danger of attack. Both princesses appear in the media and live fairly open lives.

They have personal security, who are paid by the Duke of York.

It's a four bedroom apartment so it isn't that small.

It is in the attic. Four bedrooms does not mean Big. Small rooms. See the article posted above.

Is Eugenie really a security target? Haven't Anne and Ed & Sophie lost their 24/7 protection? James and Louise probably don't have RPOs. Peter and Zara's families don't.

You don't see the RPOs in any of pap shots of either York sister like you do with Kate.

The Queen's children have personal protection officers. Anne's children have never had security of their own. They were protected by their mother's PPO when they were with her (as children).

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize I'm a bit late to the story here. But I was reading a DailyMail article and noticed these interesting comments from someone ...
mimiUSA, Nice, France, about 21 hours ago
Without risking being accused of making things up sometimes we can figure out things for ourselves, can't we? Her mum was spotted in a taxi going to BP a few weeks ago and people had assumed she had been summoned. HM must have had a word and told her:" Enough of these long relationships, get them married." So Beatrice gave Dave an ultimatum which backfired and Jack said yes to next year or 2018. 2017 is for Pippa and we certainly do not want to show we are competing, we are royals after all. So now Eugenie will take over this three bedroom cottage in a few months after it is refurbished and she will be engaged by year end. Beatrice will keep her four bedroom flat while she looks for someone new. Eugenie will pay market rent with money from her father wo will get it from his mother. And they live happily ever after. Not the end.

I think the girls remaining in the palace makes sense security wise. They are the highest profile without FT protection. Easy targets. And rent is being paid.

Last edited:
I realize I'm a bit late to the story here. But I was reading a DailyMail article and noticed these interesting comments from someone ...
Without risking being accused of making things up sometimes we can figure out things for ourselves, can't we? Her mum was spotted in a taxi going to BP a few weeks ago and people had assumed she had been summoned. HM must have had a word and told her:" Enough of these long relationships, get them married." So Beatrice gave Dave an ultimatum which backfired and Jack said yes to next year or 2018. 2017 is for Pippa and we certainly do not want to show we are competing, we are royals after all. So now Eugenie will take over this three bedroom cottage in a few months after it is refurbished and she will be engaged by year end. Beatrice will keep her four bedroom flat while she looks for someone new. Eugenie will pay market rent with money from her father wo will get it from his mother. And they live happily ever after. Not the end.

The Queen giving the York girls an ultimatum doesn't make sense. William was never given one and his relationship was way more high profile and greater importance to the monarchy than Bea and Eugenie's. Andrew has rooms in BP. Sarah could have just been seeing him with regards to the BP taxi.

The Queen giving the York girls an ultimatum doesn't make sense. William was never given one and his relationship was way more high profile and greater importance to the monarchy than Bea and Eugenie's. Andrew has rooms in BP. Sarah could have just been seeing him with regards to the BP taxi.

Maybe, but everything seems to be indicating some sort of shake-up.
Eugenie's photo shoot, Beatrice's break-up, Eugenie moving to KP...
if there's no connection, then it's quite a coincidence.

For me, this is an fantasy supposition that was created and fostered in somebody's head without any real substance to it. It is taking 2+2 and coming up with 42 (which by the way is the answer to life, the universe and everything).

The "shakeup" that makes sense to me is that the York girls are getting settled into their adult lives. Maybe get married, maybe not. Moving into a new residence of one's own is pointing to independence more than anything else.

How interesting. I post on another forum occasionally and another, very sensible-sounding poster there has cousins who work at BP, and at Sandringham when required. Occasionally she lets drop a few crumbs of things she hears that have been buzzing around the households, and she wrote much the same thing.

Not exactly an ultimatum from HM but a wish to see her granddaughters settled in one way or another before long. She wrote last year that there was unrest among some royals in the family (not Sarah, though) about the boyfriends of the York princesses, that Beatrice had twice asked in the last few months of 2015 as to what Dave's intentions for their future were and had received unsatisfactory replies. There was also some anxiety about Jack really wanting to settle down for good with Eugenie as well.

Of course, I can't guarantee that what she says is accurate, (could be a bald faced liar, I don't know) though she does seem to know a good deal about the internal workings/domestic arrangements at Royal homes and has corrected some very bizarre perceptions by some posters about how the BRF live, so I'm just putting it out there.

Last edited:
I do have trouble believing that Sarah going to Buckingham Palace was connected to the Queen giving some ultimatum for Beatrice and Eugenie to marry. It doesn't seem like the Queen to take such a strong position about her granddaughters' private lives that she'd have to call in a meeting with the parents, especially when it doesn't seem that Beatrice and Eugenie were even there.

Also, Sarah's trip to Buckingham Palace happened on July 13, and around Aug. 6, the papers were reporting that Beatrice and Dave had been broken up for a month (not only 2 or 3 weeks, as would have happened if Sarah's visit had been the occasion for the Queen giving some kind of ultimatum).

I can believe that the Queen wants her grandchildren to be settled, but the rest seems like a lot of rumour and speculation.

Also say if the Queen did issue an ultimatum, why would she do it via Sarah and not just talk to Bea and Eugenie themselves. They are both grown ups. The Queen talked about skyping with Zara when she was in Australia. The Queen can do it with the York sisters too.

I think the girls remaining in the palace makes sense security wise. They are the highest profile without FT protection. Easy targets. And rent is being paid.

They have full time protection. It is paid privately.

I know I will be run off the thread by the usual posters for saying this.
Why is she getting a very nice home freshly done up? Harry is living in a very small and basic cottage as Will and Kate did earlier but she gets something better and it's not like she's having a family she's not getting married we are told so no babies I think. The York family always seem to fall on their feet.

I know I will be run off the thread by the usual posters for saying this.
Why is she getting a very nice home freshly done up? Harry is living in a very small and basic cottage as Will and Kate did earlier but she gets something better and it's not like she's having a family she's not getting married we are told so no babies I think. The York family always seem to fall on their feet.

When I first read the Ivy Cottage rumour I tried to find out about it w/ no luck. So then I stared at birds eye views of KP trying to figure out which of the smallish buildings next to Harry's Nott Cott could be Ivy cottage, which ever of those buildings it is none appear to be very large. I think Nott Cott is 2 bedrooms and Ivy is 3, but I expect Harry is ok w/ where he is at present and should he marry larger quarters will be found for him and maybe he prefers to stay put rather than hassle w/ moving one cottage over to gain a bedroom he doesn't need at present.
Perhaps whomever was living in Ivy cottage moved out and it became available and Eugenie wanted her own place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom